Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Decade polls : the 00's (starting February 2011) - Who volunteers ?

Re: Decade polls : the 00's (starting February 2011) - Who volunteers ?

No one? Really?
I was waiting for this 00s decade poll to do some catch-up. Last two or three years I've been quite disconnected with the current scene of today mainly because of the decade polls and other AM games (well in fact mainly because I'm too busy with my work).
Come on!! I'm sure that some of you youngsters have a lot more of spare time than me to dedicate to the new poll!! We need you!!

I can host the polls.

Thanks, Petri!!!

Yes, thanks Petri!

Yes Petri ! Kiitos !

I'll ask now: Being I don't know crap about 2000s music, will I be allowed to sumbit lists with 3 songs and 2 albums or will I have to start listening?

I think we usually use 5 as the minimum.

Awesome Petri, can't wait!

Listyguy : why not take this opportunity to listen to 00's music ?
I'm not an expert in the 00's (I think like a good old guy that the music is not good as in the 60's and 70's), but I'll use this decade poll to catch up with what I've missed.
IMO those decade polls are the best thing in AM.
I mean the 2 first years I did all the games (Survivor, brackets and all) but then I got tired of them (and ran out of time too), but I kept on doing the decade polls.
I mean I do them seriously : I listen and re-listen to a maximum albums and songs every month. It's the best way to increase your musical knowledge. It's like going to university. Studying year after year is fantastic. When all the decades are done (at the end of the year), then I'll get my PhD in rock music
I think in 2012 we should do the 90s again, cause I missed half of it

It's like the world cup.

In 2007, Sweden hosted (Henrik, the 90s)
In 2008, it was the Netherlands (Stefan, the 80s)
In 2009, France (Nassim, the 70s)
In 2010, Spain (Honorio, the 50-60s)
In 2011, Finland (Petri, the 2000s)

nicolas
I think in 2012 we should do the 90s again, cause I missed half of it

I would totally love to re-cycle these decade polls next year - I didn't come in until the end of the '70's!
I also agree that these are easily my favorite polls on the site. Perhaps next year I can find the time to add the U.S. to the World Cup!

I guess I'll start listening now, then. I would love to redo the decade polls. The 60s/50s was the first one I got to take part in. And the US does need to host the poll one of these years.

I got here midway through the 90's poll, but I hadn't heard much of anything at the time.

I think most of the Americans who run polls are busy hosting other music discovery games.

I got here after the 70s was done too, i was really impressed by the picks, presentation and comments, even though i didn't make part of it it was incredibly fun and exciting to catch the countdown. This is the first pool i make part of, so excited! I need to start listening to these 00s records more often than ever now!

Since this is the topic of 00s music active now... i'm really liking Wilco's A Ghost is Born, it demands my attention all the way through. Are their other records like this one? I know some of you guys really like Summerteeth and Yankee, i haven't check them out yet, so maybe i will change my mind. So far, really good album. Same goes to My Morning Jacket, so far nice surprises. This poll promises a lot of undiscovered (or even changes of heart) gems to me and pretty sure to other people too. Let's keep them coming. Happy New Year.

Yankee really really deserves the plaudits. It's a stunning album, with its last two songs (Poor Places and Reservations) being one of the best album closers I've ever heard.

HRS
Since this is the topic of 00s music active now... i'm really liking Wilco's A Ghost is Born, it demands my attention all the way through. Are their other records like this one? I know some of you guys really like Summerteeth and Yankee, i haven't check them out yet, so maybe i will change my mind. So far, really good album. Same goes to My Morning Jacket, so far nice surprises. This poll promises a lot of undiscovered (or even changes of heart) gems to me and pretty sure to other people too. Let's keep them coming. Happy New Year.

I'm surprised someone who listens to as much music as you hasn't heard Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. That album definitely deserves a listen.

Personally I can't wait to use this poll as an opportunity to hear more 2000s music. I just got Drum's Not Dead, The Glow Pt. 2, and Geogaddi and have been enjoying each.

Jackson
HRS

I'm surprised someone who listens to as much music as you hasn't heard Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. That album definitely deserves a listen.

Personally I can't wait to use this poll as an opportunity to hear more 2000s music. I just got Drum's Not Dead, The Glow Pt. 2, and Geogaddi and have been enjoying each.

I can't believe either! It's top 5 of the decade for God sake! I guess I overlooked Wilco based on their last two records which i've heard once or two times last year. I'm listening a lot to a Ghost Is Born, i'm even scared of updating my Last.fm cause i've played that record like 7 times yesterday, without counting further plays to a few songs. But right now i'm going to start playing Yankee! This 00s poll is going to rule when it comes to discover new music, at least new music to me, since i'm pretty sure Yankee has been receiving a lot of love over here for a few years already. Based on your praises and Zorg, i still don't know what i'm doing here instead of listening to it!

At first listen: Nothing short of remarkable. Yankee is terrific, wow... i'm beyond words, playing for the third time in a row! And my stupid last.fm is not updating, i have like 200 plays cached since yesterday ¬¬' But Happy New Year Again!

Yeah I will concur with the others - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot really is a top 5 album for the 2000s.

Hey guys, I just started listening to a lot of really good music and I really love all the polls on this forum, even though I've only listened to a small portion of all this music. Well, out of the stuff I have listened to, here are some of my favorite albums of the 2000's (in no particular order): Kid A, In Rainbows, Parachutes, A Rush Of Blood To The Head, Discovery, The College Dropout, Funeral, Myth Takes and Louden Up Now by the lesser known group !!!. There are a lot of songs I love too, but I have yet to dig deeper in a lot of those artist's discographies. Any suggestions on broadening my horizons?

A quick reminder to those who are new to this game

Every month from february we will post our best albums and songs lists for each year.
In february we will do 2000, in march 2001, etc... until november (2009).
Each month 10 albums and 10 songs will be qualified for the final round in december.

nicolas
A quick reminder to those who are new to this game

Every month from february we will post our best albums and songs lists for each year.
In february we will do 2000, in march 2001, etc... until november (2009).
Each month 10 albums and 10 songs will be qualified for the final round in december.

I thought we needed to give a top 100 or 200 right away Now i'm feeling better, more time to relisten to the old records i'm attached to and give the new ones some fair spins and time to embrace.

nicolas
It's like going to university.

Except a lot more fun.
Well,yeah I'll have a look at it,although I may lose interest very soon if Coldplay - Yellow doesn't make the cut for 2000...

HRS

You should also check out Summerteeth; it may have a much lower AM rating than YHF (though it still has a higher one than AGIB, which you said you loved) but it's just as good.

It's a lot more melodic than YHF, but not in a cheesy pop way. It leans towards The Beatles/ Beach Boys/ Zombies trifecta of pop, with hints of Elvis Costello, The Byrds and The Velvet Underground. It's up there with OK Computer, Loveless, and The Soft Bulletin for 90s masterpieces, but for whatever reason, doesn't get the same hype.

Whatever the reason, everything they did with Jay Bennett still in the band (1996-2002) is ace and worth hearing.

I'd rank the albums:

01. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (5 stars)
02. Summerteeth (5 stars)
03. Being There (4.5 stars)
04. A Ghost is Born (4.5 stars)
05. Mermaid Avenue (4.5 stars)
06. Wilco (The Album) (4 stars)
07. Mermaid Avenue Vol 2 (3.5 stars)
08. Sky Blue Sky (3 stars)
09. A.M. (2.5 stars)

Jonathon
It's a lot more melodic than YHF, but not in a cheesy pop way. It leans towards The Beatles/ Beach Boys/ Zombies trifecta of pop, with hints of Elvis Costello, The Byrds and The Velvet Underground. It's up there with OK Computer, Loveless, and The Soft Bulletin for 90s masterpieces, but for whatever reason, doesn't get the same hype.

I'm liking what i'm reading and luckily i will like to listen as well! I just know that both Yankee and Ghost are growing incredibly fast and strong you know? I just can't get away of Wilco no more. Every day i play each of those records and if Summerteeth is better or at the very same level... it will be a mindblowing month with those guys.

Definitely check out Being There and Summerteeth; both are classics that sort of suffer from being pre-break out releases.

A.M. is a pretty average genre exercise; think Radiohead's pablo honey of country rock. It really didn't give you much of an indication of what was to come. It's not a terrible album,just unremarkable.

Being There is their big epic, genre hopping double album; they cover just about every idiom of roots rock in the album, plus also explore noise for the first time, barking up the tree of the Velvet Underground. The album occasionally overreaches, and Tweedy hasn't developed entirely as a lyricist, but as a whole it's very rewarding.

The Mermaid Avenue albums are Wilco's best stab at straight forward country; they put new music to unrecorded Woody Guthrie lyrics with the help of Billy Bragg. Wilco's songs are strong on both volumes, but Bragg's are only great on Vol 1 and falter on volume 2.

Summerteeth is their first fully realized piece of art; it's unified in sound, and it's lyrics are much more advanced, partially due to Jeff working on old Woody Guthrie songs, and partially due to his obsession with the subversive literary works of Henry Miller.

Though the songs scream Pet Sounds, the lyrics are dark and dreary. One of the most poppy tunes has the repeated chorus "maybe all I need is a shot in the arm". The centerpiece, "Via Chicago" starts with the line "I dreamed about killing you again last night, and it felt all right to me" over scuttling noise and pop constructs that sound half "Heroin", half-"Caroline No".

You've heard YHF and AGIB so I can skip those.

Sky Blue Sky was a little bit of a let down for me; it attempted to recapture some of their rootsiness but fell more into a horribly embarassing Doobie Brothers sort of mood. "Impossible Germany" is really the only song I like.

Wilco (The album) is like a new Paul McCartney album; out of the box it's really exciting and sounds brilliant, but you eventually realize it's just an artist reliving past glories. Wilco (The Album) is kind of Sky Blue Sky's adult contemporary dressed up as a Summerteeth.

Jonathon
Definitely check out Being There and Summerteeth; both are classics that sort of suffer from being pre-break out releases.

A.M. is a pretty average genre exercise; think Radiohead's pablo honey of country rock. It really didn't give you much of an indication of what was to come. It's not a terrible album,just unremarkable.

Being There is their big epic, genre hopping double album; they cover just about every idiom of roots rock in the album, plus also explore noise for the first time, barking up the tree of the Velvet Underground. The album occasionally overreaches, and Tweedy hasn't developed entirely as a lyricist, but as a whole it's very rewarding.

The Mermaid Avenue albums are Wilco's best stab at straight forward country; they put new music to unrecorded Woody Guthrie lyrics with the help of Billy Bragg. Wilco's songs are strong on both volumes, but Bragg's are only great on Vol 1 and falter on volume 2.

Summerteeth is their first fully realized piece of art; it's unified in sound, and it's lyrics are much more advanced, partially due to Jeff working on old Woody Guthrie songs, and partially due to his obsession with the subversive literary works of Henry Miller.

Though the songs scream Pet Sounds, the lyrics are dark and dreary. One of the most poppy tunes has the repeated chorus "maybe all I need is a shot in the arm". The centerpiece, "Via Chicago" starts with the line "I dreamed about killing you again last night, and it felt all right to me" over scuttling noise and pop constructs that sound half "Heroin", half-"Caroline No".

You've heard YHF and AGIB so I can skip those.

Sky Blue Sky was a little bit of a let down for me; it attempted to recapture some of their rootsiness but fell more into a horribly embarassing Doobie Brothers sort of mood. "Impossible Germany" is really the only song I like.

Wilco (The album) is like a new Paul McCartney album; out of the box it's really exciting and sounds brilliant, but you eventually realize it's just an artist reliving past glories. Wilco (The Album) is kind of Sky Blue Sky's adult contemporary dressed up as a Summerteeth.

Really, really thankful for all this insights! Thank you so much i'm keeping in mind while listening and coming back to read after listening and when i finish listening to al of them i'll come here to comment. Being There is being pretty awesome, so far, even though i'm only at disc number one. Thank you again!

Being There has one disc of great songs.

Unfortunately, it's two discs long.

Monday and Outtasite are among my favorite Wilco.

I think everything they've done since Ghost Is Born has awesome guitar parts but no standout songs. I think they made a decision to shift away from the experimental at that point.

BillAdama

Wilco are the 90s/00bies' Grateful Dead... they're always welcome to any part/y of my synopsis system, but they're disturbingly shallow/../boring beneath their surface in the end

nj
BillAdama

Wilco are the 90s/00bies' Grateful Dead... they're always welcome to any part/y of my synopsis system, but they're disturbingly shallow/../boring beneath their surface in the end
That's exactly how I feel too. However, they're one of the best acts I've ever seen live, so I certainly have nothing against Wilco. But on record they don't have the sound that I'm usually falling for. Every time I think I should give them another chance I end up playing Girl Unit's "Wut" instead.

Henrik
That's exactly how I feel too. However, they're one of the best acts I've ever seen live, so I certainly have nothing against Wilco.

Hey! what have i just posted before your post, huh??

u friend me now?

Friend, of course.
Keyword: however

I understand you guys criticisms. I think that Being There could've been a better sole disc, but maybe it's because i'm still warming it, after some more spins i'l have the final word! I've never seen any non-Brazilian artist live (i live in a small small town) so i can't comment about Wilco being better as a live act, but i if they're any better on a stage than on record, which i'm really enjoying, then i can't wait to see them live one day. On a side note and out of nowhere: I'm also enjoying a lot Serge Gainsbourg/Jane Birkin from 69 and damn, she looks hot in that cover. Staring at the camera, beautifully, french, she sold that record to me and really represents the whole love, sex and other themes on the record. I was already a big fan of Je T'aime Moi Non Plus, better known as "The Sex song my church forbidden me and to listen 2 years ago, but screw them cause Je T'aime some Gainsbourg". I'm really seeing myself expanding my horizons beyond females, singer-songwriters and indie rock this year. Thank you guys.

nj
BillAdama

I completely disagree. I think at least from 1996-2002, they wrote the best albums any band but Radiohead had to offer.

Shallow when applied to music is pretty hard to pin down. Some would consider being agro for agro's sake shallow. Summerteeth and YHF are essentially flawless albums.

Jonathon
Summerteeth and YHF are essentially flawless albums.

Agreed. and that's exactly what makes them kinda aluminum bites after all. crispy somehow, but stale in the end.

oh_pologies: have to edit an IMO to it, of course... i'm not PapaJohn

nj
Jonathon
Summerteeth and YHF are essentially flawless albums.

Agreed. and that's exactly what makes them kinda aluminum bites after all. crispy somehow, but stale in the end.

oh_pologies: have to edit an IMO to it, of course... i'm not PapaJohn

I mean if "perfection" isn't your thing, than I can see why you don't like them. Some people like music with a little bit more "flaws" so to speak. Wilco is a pretty controlled band, where even the noisey elements are calculated. But hey, the same could be said about Pet Sounds, and a lot of The Beatles catalog.

Still when it comes to lyrics + melodies + arrangements, I think Tweedy and Bennett could throw down with any band around.

Jonathon

I mean if "perfection" isn't your thing, than I can see why you don't like them. Wilco is a pretty controlled band, where even the noisey elements are calculated. But hey, the same could be said about Pet Sounds.

Pet Sounds has Sloop John B. though... but, yeah, i guess we've come to a final agreement after all. that's why i keep my hands off of Keith Jarrett and Chick Corea albums at any cost... or maybe that's why i love Gaucho and Pirates so much... or, well... wait a minute... do you spot a pattern in here? great! me neither. personal music taste is soooo heap-of-personal-bigotry-BS that it made AMF one of my most beloved forums evaaahhh... and if it weren't for whatshisnameagainwiththeglasses, i'd enjoy it even more

Jonathon
I mean if "perfection" isn't your thing, than I can see why you don't like them. Some people like music with a little bit more "flaws" so to speak. Wilco is a pretty controlled band, where even the noisey elements are calculated. But hey, the same could be said about Pet Sounds, and a lot of The Beatles catalog.

Still when it comes to lyrics + melodies + arrangements, I think Tweedy and Bennett could throw down with any band around.

Sometimes perfection comes at the expense of emotional expression. I don't think adding emotional inflection to the basic melody should be considered a 'flaw'.

BillAdama
Jonathon

Sometimes perfection comes at the expense of emotional expression. I don't think adding emotional inflection to the basic melody should be considered a 'flaw'.

I don't think Wilco lacks in emotional expression...well they might now. Once Jeff Tweedy beat his demons, he had very little to sing about.

Still, songs like "Via Chicago", "A Shot in The Arm", "Ashes of American Flags" and "Misunderstood" are all very expressive to me.

On the flip side of the argument, one could argue all passion and no attention to craft just results in generic punk and metal. I'm sure the lead singer from Disturbed or whatever is emotionally attached to his music; doesn't make it any good.

Jonathon
On the flip side of the argument, one could argue all passion and no attention to craft just results in generic punk and metal. I'm sure the lead singer from Disturbed or whatever is emotionally attached to his music; doesn't make it any good.

I kind of disagree. I always thought of the "emotional" tone of bands such as Disturbed as being an affectation, a design to move more units. And that, in part, is why they suck.

Rocky Raccoon
Jonathon

I kind of disagree. I always thought of the "emotional" tone of bands such as Disturbed as being an affectation, a design to move more units. And that, in part, is why they suck.

This.

I think Wilco were a lot more emotionally expressive in their earlier albums. Now they're more technically skilled at playing and songcrafting, but their newer songs feel just a little too sterile.

BillAdama
Rocky Raccoon
Jonathon

This.

I think Wilco were a lot more emotionally expressive in their earlier albums. Now they're more technically skilled at playing and songcrafting, but their newer songs feel just a little too sterile.

I'd agree on the new songs. Wilco (The Album) was melody for melody as good as any of their old albums, but it didn't make me feel anything at all.

Jonathon
BillAdama
Rocky Raccoon
Jonathon

This.

I'd agree on the new songs. Wilco (The Album) was melody for melody as good as any of their old albums, but it didn't make me feel anything at all.

Nothing in their last two albums crash into me like in Misunderstood's line: "I'd like to thank you all for nothing/I'd like to thank you for nothing at all". Wilco is a calculated affair sometimes, but it's terrific how they managed to get away with it up to the Sky Blue Sky. A Ghost Is Born, my favorite of them so far, manages to be both experimental, accessible and calculated, not everyone delivers that and is not really a sin be a little perfectionist when the material is that good, which is why their last two albums were a miss to me overall.

HRS
Jonathon
BillAdama
Rocky Raccoon
Jonathon

This.

Nothing in their last two albums crash into me like in Misunderstood's line: "I'd like to thank you all for nothing/I'd like to thank you for nothing at all". Wilco is a calculated affair sometimes, but it's terrific how they managed to get away with it up to the Sky Blue Sky. A Ghost Is Born, my favorite of them so far, manages to be both experimental, accessible and calculated, not everyone delivers that and is not really a sin be a little perfectionist when the material is that good, which is why their last two albums were a miss to me overall.

On the flipside, I don't see Wilco as being any more calculated than Radiohead, The Flaming Lips, Arcade Fire, Sufjan Stevens, Grizzly Bear, Belle & Sebastian, and many other groups of the indie ilk that go for more involved, complex arrangements than your typical rock arrangement. I do not think complex, calculated arrangements are mutually exclusive with passionate songwriting.

The passion of the song is there the second you write it; at it's core, every song is a melody and chords, or in the case of hip hop, maybe a rap or a beat. That's the heart of any given song.

Any guitar solos, strings, keys, samples, etc that you add are there for more intellectual purposes. Some artists prefer to leave their music naked...some prefer to take the opportunity to fill out their arrangements.

If you look at the AM top 500, there are countless of examples other than Wilco who have done this...in addition to the afformentioned bands, The Beach Boys, The Beatles, Elvis Costello, Love, The Zombies, David Bowie, Roxy Music, XTC, and others have added layer upon layer to their music to chase a sound for purely musical reasons.

I think the idea that someone adds an interesting counterpoint part on piano doesn't make a song suddenly "plastic", "shallow", or "calculated". I think often times it enhances the song, and makes for a much more interesting, involved listen.