Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hopes for next update...

What are your hopes for the next update on acclaimed music? Are there any albums you're dying to see move up? artists you want to see move past a certain milestone?

Things I hope to see in the next update:

- In Utero reclaim the top album of 1993 spot from Bjork's Debut.
- Radiohead beat David Bowie's album artist ranking to become the #4 album artist.
- Wilco love of course: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot break the top 100. Summerteeth re-enters the top 500. Being There re-enters the top 600, and Mermaid avenue re-enters the top 1000.
- Either/Or and Talk Talk's Laughing Stock maintaining their top 500 spots and In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and Moon & Antarctica finally breaking into the top 500 for the first time...it's not a true list of classics to me if those albums aren't in the top 500.
- Coldplay gradually drop out of the top 500 albums...it's not a list of classics to me WITH Coldplay in it.
- R.E.M.'s early albums continue to rise while lesser albums of more fame (Out of Time, Green) hopefully fall in ranking.

what are your hopes?

Re: Hopes for next update...

Jonathon
What are your hopes for the next update on acclaimed music?

less logos from Henrik the sloths [sic] and more silent majority

Jonathon
Are there any albums you're dying to see move up? artists you want to see move past a certain milestone?

some shaky de-quote in here:

sonofsamiam
I'm endorsing the side of myself that likes surprises

and some Wilco love of course..

Jonathon
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot break the top 100. Summerteeth re-enters the top 500

in Netjadia, top 100 breaks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot: and Summerteeth is always the good guy..

Miranda Lambert gets back in the top 3000, Sleater-Kinney regain some of their losses from the last update, folk gets more recognition, Blitzen Trapper gets at least one mention.

I just realized every Blitzen Trapper song is eligable for Moonbeam's game. Hrm.

I really hope the arrival of new forumers for countries not represented here. For having new lists and albums to listen we never see in other lists.

We get some more 00s love in the higher echelons.

Also for Turn On The Bright Lights to start pushing higher.

I'm mostly looking forward to the all-time Songs list, since we haven't had one in 3 years! (grr)

I expect to see M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" have a HUGE increase, and I hope she ends up with the top song of the 2000s, and if not, at least a top 100 ranking.

I also would like to see "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" surpass "Happiness Is a Warm Gun" as the Beatles' highest-ranked song from their White Album (and perhaps a few boosts from the Rolling Stone magazine: Abbey Road medley, "Blackbird," "Here, There and Everywhere")

I hope Whatever People Say I Am... gets into the top 200 albums, Arcade Fire breaks the top 100 artists and 2000s music all round gets a better representation.

The National. Higher. All across the board.

I guess as a Wilco fan, my biggest disappointment on acclaimed is that so much of Wilco's score centers around a single album....while I agree that YHF is their best, the distribution of their albums should be much more equitable imo; sort of like how PJ Harvey and Bjork have albums in the 200s, 300s and 400s...

I'd love to see summerteeth get into the top 300 in about 5 updates, along with A Ghost is Born and Being There getting into the top 500. Wilco is a band who's had a great run of classics, yet sort of gets viewed as a band with 3-4 "good" albums and one "OMFG MASTERPIECE' album.

Stephan

This. And additional love for the 2000s - honestly a much better decade fore music than most people give it credit for. Sure, it didn't have one BIG album (like "Nevermind" for the '90s), but the output was very, very good.

Penguin
Stephan

This. And additional love for the 2000s - honestly a much better decade fore music than most people give it credit for. Sure, it didn't have one BIG album (like "Nevermind" for the '90s), but the output was very, very good.

Indeed, the last ten years have produced so much incredible music it's really pretty crazy. I don't know if any decade can match it on depth. As for no BIG album, I think in music critic circles Kid A is held in higher esteem than Nevermind.

Also, The National really needs some AM main site love.

I agree. Debut is one of my least favorite #1's of all albums from the 90s and not her best album by a long shot. Why do the Flaming Lips have the least acclaimed #1 album of the 90s? They should at least be ahead if Air, Bjork and Public Enemy.

Things I hope to see in the next update:

- In Utero reclaim the top album of 1993 spot from Bjork's Debut.
I hope the Darkness keeps falling the the rankings and same thing for Justin Timberlake. Fountains of Wayne deserve much better. They made one of the catchiest albums of the decade. I hope Good News... doesn't keep dropping in the rankings just because Moon and Antartica keeps climbing.

I would love to see Blur jump into the top 40, but it's not going to happen. I can hope though.

I would also like to see their albums get more love overall. They are ranked a little low, especially 13 and Modern Life is Rubbish.

I'd Like...

to see Madonna climb into the top 40. She had some 2000s citations, and has some all-time list ones as well, but lots of lists have to be added, so it may not happen. But, one never knows how things will shape out when adding everything to the mix. I just wonder if another female will pass her, as Joni Mitchell is right behind, and then not far off are PJ Harvey, Bjork and Patti Smith in the top 100.

Penguin
Stephan

Honestly, the 2000s decade end lists were kind of disappointing to me in that they centered so much on one album per artist save Radiohead and The White Stripes.

Way too many points centered around the top 4 albums. In fact, the top 4 albums rank in order as 4 of the top 5 artists (The White Stripes beat Wilco by one album point to claim the #4 spot.)