Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Year-End Lists: PopJustice

Popjustice is a website that specializes in, well, celebrating pop music! It's got decent stats (Alex ranking: 51,192 with 753 sites linking in).

I've come across a number of old year-end lists, and was wondering if they'd be eligible.

Top Singles of 2008
Top Albums of 2008
Top Singles of 2007
Top Albums and Singles of 2006
Top Singles of 2004
Top Singles of 2003
Top Singles of 2002
Top Singles of 2001

They also award the top British single of the year with the Popjustice £20 Music Prize.

I'd be happy to contribute to a spreadsheet if these are eligible, Henrik!

Frokm the Looks of It...

these seem more like run-downs of hits (from various countries) from that year, rather than best. I mean, did you look at what was posted for 2001? That's all I needed to look at to determine such.

Re: Frokm the Looks of It...

Well, they do like their pop! But any time Annie ranks as highly as she does in 2004, you know it's not merely a list of hits. I'd love her commercial success to mirror her critical success, but it just hasn't happened.

Well, No, But...

Annie has gotten acclaim and such- and, didn't she fare OK outside the USA?

Once again, just looking at 2001's list was enouguh for me to know not to check out the other years. Of course, there's nothing wrong with pop, but these lists include tracks that would not be anywhere near the average best-of list.

Re: Well, No, But...

JR
Annie has gotten acclaim and such- and, didn't she fare OK outside the USA?

No, she flops everywhere.

Once again, just looking at 2001's list was enouguh for me to know not to check out the other years.

The lists start to get pretty good from 2004 on, I'd say.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with pop, but these lists include tracks that would not be anywhere near the average best-of list.

All the more reason to include them, I think! Mainstream pop (especially electropop) is pretty underrepresented on this site, I'd say!

Anoher Thing...

listing 212 tracks for a year is a bit much- so that, along with the seems-like-mostly-a-hits-countdown lists should render this null and void. At least that's my viewpoint (and it has Madonna on them, so no biases. hehe)