Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Headphone advice?

Since all of us love music here, I thought this would be a good place to ask for advice in buying headphones.

I've been using mostly earbuds for my listening needs (through the computer and iPod mostly), but I thought that it would be nice to invest in a good set of headphones. I love my earbuds, but I'm hoping to get a more full sound with the over-head headphones.

I've been looking at Denon D1001 - they look pretty good for the price and has all the features I need (closed, since I'll be using them in a library for studying, good sound, comfortable, and less than $100). Anyone else have any suggestions or can evaluate if this is a good choice?

Re: Headphone advice?

Sennheiser, my friend, either the HD-280 Pros ($150 list, but you can get them new for like $77 on Amazon) which I use, or the HD-555 ($170 list; more comfortable for those who wear glasses, and the wire is lighter because it isn't looped). Both are very reliable and have un-matched sound. They're also completely over-the-ear so 1) they block out external noise well and 2) they're comfy over a long period. The 280s are kind of tight but I have a small head.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR-V6-Monitor-Headphones-Voice/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=aht&qid=1259995187&sr=1-9

I asked the same thing at RYM a couple years ago and these were recommended by more than one person. So I got a pair for Christmas and I've loved them ever since. Great, clear, natural and balanced sound. Feel extremely comfortable. And affordable.

Well, taking into account Sean Pak's advice and musictoad's one I think I found the right article for you Penguin!

http://byrneweb.com/sunburn/audio/hd280vsv6.html

Thanks to all for the tips. I just ordered the Sony headphones. They're on sale at Amazon in the states. Only $65.

I have the V6 but I've heard the Sennheiser's and those are the best for the price.

V6 is supposed to be better for mp3 players.

Haha, thanks guys. I'm probably going to look into it some more (there are some site actually dedicated to this stuff, so I might look there), but thanks for the help. I had been looking at the two that you guys listed also.