Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Highest album you've never listened to.

Hey AMF, I thought that this would be a pretty interesting game. First you have to figure out what is the highest ranking album on this site that you have never heard in full. Then you write up your thoughts and feelings about the album. For me the highest ranking album I've never heard in full is Number 221- "Time Out of Mind" by Bob Dylan. I don't have the time to hear it now, but I will try to give it a listen relatively soon.

Re: Highest album you've never listened to.

I haven't heard Pet Sounds! Don't know that I ever will, as there are really only a few Beach Boys songs that I can appreciate.

Mine's Patti Smith's "Horses". It's actually pretty high on my albums I need to give a fair listen, so I'll get around to it pretty soon.

I have Dusty in Memphis on my iPod but have yet to give it a spin. Other than that I think I've listened to the entire top 200;.

According to a very distant memory, I listened to a cassette copy of Nevermind a long ways back, and heard most of the songs here and there in different places.

And then it's #6 Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, sad to say. Classic Dylan is just never high on my to-do list... maybe becomes I tend to discover good lyrics in music I like to listen to, instead of gravitating towards poetic lyrics first. But no real excuse to have missed this so far.

"Legalize It" by Peter Tosh.

Oh wait, you meant highest-RATED album. Oh, then that would have to be "Blonde on Blonde". I always get to about "Temporary Like Achilles" and I just sort of lose interest.

Jonah
According to a very distant memory, I listened to a cassette copy of Nevermind a long ways back, and heard most of the songs here and there in different places.

And then it's #6 Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde, sad to say. Classic Dylan is just never high on my to-do list... maybe becomes I tend to discover good lyrics in music I like to listen to, instead of gravitating towards poetic lyrics first. But no real excuse to have missed this so far.

Wow... Those were my #7 and #2 of all time on the AMF poll. Definitely give both shots.

thriller.

to be honest i'm not planning on getting it any time soon mostly because i have half the songs on my itunes already and also because i feel michael's been getting enough attention already and i don't feel like contributing to that.

Never Mind the Bollocks. And I never plan to, everything I have heard from the Sex Pistols is enough.

Elvis' self titled. Thanks for this thread, now I've been reminded.

VanillaFire1000
Never Mind the Bollocks. And I never plan to, everything I have heard from the Sex Pistols is enough.

Same here, but I like their big singles. I'll give it a try at some point. The next few I haven't heard are Born to Run, Horses, and Sign 'O the Times, none of which have that much appeal to me.

Massive Attack, Blue Lines.

I don't feel a strong impetus to fill in the gap. Any reason I should be in a hurry to listen to this? (I have heard Mezzanine, and was underwhelmed.)

In full?

The Eagles - Hotel California.

Hotel California the single is the one Eagles song I can listen to and enjoy at all. The rest of their stuff I find musically overproduced and lyrically hammy. I did listen to it halfway through on lala to test if I was missing anything. I wasn't.

My only other gaps in the top 200 are The Wall, Marshall Matters LP, Night at the Opera, Licensed to Ill, From Elvis in Memphis, Metal Box. The only ones of those I see myself ever getting are the last two.

Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
and I hope I never will

top 5
beatles - white album
beatles - rubber soul
rolling stones - beggars banquet
rolling stones - let it bleed
captain beefheart - trout mask replica

those are the top 5 albums that i don't own. my dad owns the top 2 and plays them regularly so i probably have heard them... even if i can only name a couple of tracks on each.

I try to listen to every album of high esteem so I can either rant and rave about how great it is or bitch about how overrated it is.

Jackson Browne - Late For The Sky.... I think.
I've heard a couple of the songs, and i found them BORING AS HELL

schleuse
Massive Attack, Blue Lines.

I don't feel a strong impetus to fill in the gap. Any reason I should be in a hurry to listen to this? (I have heard Mezzanine, and was underwhelmed.)

I was the other way around. I heard Mezzanine, was instantly hooked, went out and bought their other three, and was let down. Blue Lines isn't nearly as dark and foreboding as Mezzanine is (but then, few albums are). BL is much more jazzy and upbeat. It's weird to listen to those two albums and think that they're from the same group. "Unfinished Sympathy" is an unquestioned masterpiece, so its presence would almost make BL a must-buy for that song alone.

I'm not sure if I really answered your quesion...

Why don't you guys want to listen to Appetite For Destruction of Never Mind the Bollocks? Those are both great albums. It's not like they're challenging to listen to. They're both straightforward rock albums.

My top 5

36 U2 The Joshua Tree 1987
37 Miles Davis Kind of Blue 1959
39 James Brown 'Live' at the Apollo 1963
53 Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band Trout Mask Replica 1969
60 Guns N' Roses Appetite for Destruction 1987

I'm unsure whether or not I've ever heard Primal Scream's Screamadelica in its entirety. If I have, it's Tricky's Maxinquaye.

Shania Twain, Come On Over (poor Harold..)

I recently filled in the few gaps in the top 100 so my top 3 would now be
101 - The Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East
103 - DJ Shadow - Endtroducing.....
115 - Elvis Presley -Elvis Presley

Never Mind the Bollocks is a great album, it's in my Top200 that I've sent.

I don't like Guns 'N Roses, I don't like any of their songs. I remember working in a warehouse where they had MTV on as a radio, this was in 1992. They constantly played "Knocking on heavens door", covered by Guns 'N Roses. So I heard that song at least 100 times. I hate it in this version. There must have been other videoclips that were aired as frequently at this one, but this is the only one that I remember. Says it all doesn't it?

Moonbeam
I haven't heard Pet Sounds! Don't know that I ever will, as there are really only a few Beach Boys songs that I can appreciate.

I love this answer. Mine is Massive Attack.