Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Project 3000" update: 2,970!

I received a copy of Miossec's BOIRE (currently #2811) by mail this morning. I now own 2,970 of the current AM top 3000 albums. The highest-ranked album that I do not have is #2417, Smokey Robinson's WARM THOUGHTS, which apparently (judging by how impossible it is to find) has never been released on CD.

One of my recent purchases does cut corners a little bit. The 1949 jazz LP CROSSCURRENTS (#2314), which splits its sides between sessions by Lennie Tristano and Tadd Dameron, does not exist on CD in its original form; however, there are numerous discs which contain the entirety of the legendary Tristano material - the reason the album is on the list - and I bought a fine recent one.

Of course, I realize that when the next update comes my "checklist" will be affected. But I've been burrowing into the Bubbling Unders this year and using a bunch of the yet-to-be-added lists as a guide (and I assume I already have all the likely new entries from 2008), so hopefully the changes won't be that radical.

Re: "Project 3000" update: 2,970!

Harold, Do you count digital copies toward your list?

How do you store all of those? Do you have them arranged in order of AM's Top 3000 albums?

ChrisF
Harold, Do you count digital copies toward your list?

Nope. It's all physical product, baby!

Beef Supreme
How do you store all of those? Do you have them arranged in order of AM's Top 3000 albums?

Several 4-drawer storage cabinets and boxes, boxes, boxes and more boxes.

And yes, I actually DO have them arranged in rank order. You thought you were just being clever, didn't you?

Harold Wexler
And yes, I actually DO have them arranged in rank order. You thought you were just being clever, didn't you?

ok, we need some pics of that!

Wow, I'd be pretty afraid of a site update if I kept my (far fewer) disks in AM order ... :-)

So what are the missing 30?

Snusmumrik
Wow, I'd be pretty afraid of a site update if I kept my (far fewer) disks in AM order ... :-)

Yeah, rearranging is a pretty massive job - even for a relatively minimal update like the previous one last November. But I look forward to it.

The 2970th installment of your 3000 part series, "The FIGHTIN Miossec!"

Harold, question. In what form do you have Time Fades Away? Unless it has just recently and I missed it, it's also not been released on CD. It is almost certainly about to come out in the next Neil Young compilation, of course. But my copy is a burn of a tape of an LP, just like my copies of Cry of Love and the original Dylan versions of the Basement Tapes songs.

If I tried to keep my CDs in AM order I'd never be able to find anything! How far down could you recite the AM 3000 from memory?

BillAdama
Harold, question. In what form do you have Time Fades Away? Unless it has just recently and I missed it, it's also not been released on CD. It is almost certainly about to come out in the next Neil Young compilation, of course. But my copy is a burn of a tape of an LP, just like my copies of Cry of Love and the original Dylan versions of the Basement Tapes songs.

My CD of TIME FADES AWAY is a bootleg, most likely a burn of someone's vinyl copy. Incidentally, my "copy" of CRY OF LOVE is FIRST RAYS OF THE NEW RISING SUN, the anthology CD which happens to contain all the tracks from the original CRY OF LOVE album. So it's another one of my "cheats."

BillAdama
The 2970th installment of your 3000 part series, "The FIGHTIN Miossec!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
God, I love that man.

How much would you estimate you have in your collection Harold? $50K?