Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LED Rear Light

I'm attempting to fit an LED bulb into the rear light of my Matchless and know that with a bit of rewiring, a brake light switch and a resistor I can make a 'single filament' LED bulb work as a rear light and also a brake light. I know this has been touched upon before, but can someone explain in very small words or a wiring diagram/photographs just how I acheive this. For the purposes of this post can you all imagaine that I'm an idiot who knows nothing about electronics (as must be apparent by now, you won't be far wrong!!)

Re: LED Rear Light

I did mine with a normal 15W/6v bulb and a 1 Ohm resister. Wire the rear light as normal but with the resister in the headlight on the rear light wire. Then "T" in the brake light switch to the same wire but after the resister, and the other side to the battery terminal. When the rear light switch is on, the current goes through the resister making the light work at about 4W. When the brake is on the light gets the full current so lighting the bulb up at 15w.

I don't know what resister you'd need for an LED bulb, but the wirings the same.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Bill, I've fitted LED conversion to both my G3L and M20 by purchasing a stop/tail light combination from Beck Elektronika tel 003115-2145343. no resistors needed just the 3 wires from the bulb already marked stop.tail and earth. All they need to know is pos or neg earth. Im sure something can be sorted here in UK but they came highly recommended from this forum and I would also recommend.
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Brilliant Horror, thanks very much. I've wired it up as you say and used an old 60ohm resistor I found kicking about the place and it works OKish with a standard single filament bulb, but not with the LED. If I get a lower output resistor, it will maybe also work fine with the LED?

A single LED light will not be bright enough on its own you will need a number of them, they are very directional as well. Don't forget the illumination of the number plate. Don't use so called white ones behind a red lens the light will appear mauve, you will need red LEDs for rearward and white to shine down on your number plate.

Good point Ian, no it's a purpose built 'bulb' with nine LEDs arranged in a group.

Do we need a numberplate light for an MOT ?
I know we don't when no lights are fitted but not sure we need one at all on older bikes.

This is Hans Beck's website: http://www.beckelektronika.nl/ ; unfortunately only in Double-Dutch, but you can mail him at beckelektronika@planet.nl
I have his rear/brakelights on my WDM20, and used them also on three Triumph 3TA Dutch Army bikes, and two Triumph '21', no problems.

email (option): viaconsu # planet dot nl

Lincoln Bill
Brilliant Horror, thanks very much. I've wired it up as you say and used an old 60ohm resistor I found kicking about the place and it works OKish with a standard single filament bulb, but not with the LED. If I get a lower output resistor, it will maybe also work fine with the LED?

Hi Bill, I'm glad you sorted it. A 60 Ohm resister I would have thought would make the rear light quite dim, but easy enough to get another resister. To be honest I lit a 4w bulb on a battery and then used different resisters on the 15W bulb until it looked about 4W

As for LEDs, they are alien technology and I have no idea how they react to resisters etc. Easy enough to use a normal bulb

Hi Bill,

I bought a 6V AC (So It is good for positive or negative ground) double filament LED bulb.
The amber ones are better for the tail light, as they do not lose much light when passing through the rear red lens,
And it shines very strong.

Also put one in the sidecar (White LED) and in the “Low” of the Headlamp.
When only the LEDs are on, the ammeter needle is not moving to the (-) AT ALL.

I did use normal 25/25W for the normal light and beam,
as LEDs will show you, but you cannot really see nothing when dark.

Got it from
http://www.superbrightleds.com/

MOT will usually not test if your No. plate is actually illuminated, but (if at all) only if the rear light lens/body das a white window on the bottom,
At least from my experience. Anyway, it’s not bright enough to see on day light, at the MOT test..
By the way,

If you use a bulb and a resistor, you actually draw current “spent” on the resistor and giving nothing but heat,
So better to use double filament of say- 5/21W, so you actually draw more than 5W only when breaking.
(For normal lamp, not LED that is)

Noam.

email (option): noam10@gmail.com

Sorry, but an LED will not dim with the use of a resistor like an incandescent bulb. The only effect you will be able to get with a resistor is to turn off the LED. LED systems that have dimmable capability do so by pulsing the current going to the LED.

That superhibriteled site mentioned in this thread is a great company to do buisness with. I've designed and built some lighting systems for movie motorcycles using their stuff. Great service, quick shipping, and they stock everything they advertise.

Kevin

These LED bulbs dim just nicely, I have tried it and it works great.

Take a look at this link:
http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1096978&cmd=show

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

I'm not remotely qualified to comment on what is theoretically possible with LEDs but having read on this forum that it was possible to work with a resistor, I had a go. I have to say, it works admirably.

The latter part of this thread has details of what I used - a low cost ceramic resistor from Maplins. I played around with different resistors to arrive at what I found to be a decent compromise between rear light and brake light brightness. I ignored the number plate illumination aspect but as my MT110 has the original 1940 paper mask in there (and a very yellowed acetate window), there wasn't going to be much to see anyway.

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=3155626639&frmid=16&msgid=1018436&cmd=show

In the (currently) last post in the older thread, Horror has mentioned the need to use a diode. This would probably apply to a standard main switch but doesn't seem to be be necessary with the WD switch as the convoy lamp facilty means that the rear lamp has a feed which is independent from the headlamp.

Rik

In the (currently) last post in the older thread, Horror has mentioned the need to use a diode. This would probably apply to a standard main switch but doesn't seem to be be necessary with the WD switch as the convoy lamp facilty means that the rear lamp has a feed which is independent from the headlamp.

The trouble with sending power to a switch on the wrong wire is you don't know where it's going to go. As these switches use a roller that clicks in place to the terminal next to it, it may have been possible to send power somewhere else on the bike with strange or adverse affects when the brake is applied, although the main power is turned off. Some bikes have Lucas switches with 2 rows of terminals and the internals are a mystery. The only way to be sure would be to put a meter on each terminal, with the switch in every position and try the brake. A diode is a safe guard against this and stops the current going back up to the switch.
As Rik says, no one has had any problems without one with a WD switch but I've put one on my 49 ES2 as a precaution.

Thanks for the input and advice from everyone on this one. The LED is all wired up now and works brilliantly! I probably would have bought a kit if I'd known they existed, but to be honest, doing it myself was a real learning curve and it works so well, I am really glad I did it this way.

Well, I'm glad it works, but I'm scratching my head as to why the resistor dimming method should work for an LED. Perhaps they have some sort of circuit board in the base of the bulb that pulses the current?

I dunno, but you learn stuff every day.

Kevin

There is something clever in there Kev as they work on both +ve and -ve earth. It looks like a standard bulb cap but there is probably more sophisticated electronics in there than on the rest of the bike put together.

Ah... then it must have some sort of witchery in the form of a compact surface mount circuit board. Nice kit then.

Kevin

L.A.kevin
Ah... then it must have some sort of witchery in the form of a compact surface mount circuit board. Nice kit then.

Kevin

...and all for only 7.50 euro

http://www.wdbsa.nl/for_sale.htm

I can't imagine how little he buys them in for.

I don't pretend to know how it works chaps and I've no idea what else is in the bulb, all I know is it works fantastically. I had to play around with the resistors a bit and in the end I found that two 3v 68ohm and a 3v 46ohm soldered together before the switch did the trick.

Have you got a wiring sketch or picture you could share Bill ?

Best regards

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1