The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
ANIMAL COLLECTIVE - Merriweather Post Pavilion

What a great way to start off the new year. This is an Awesome album. I've listened to it 3 times now since I've downloaded it. Animal Collective never fail to amaze me. I was origonally expecting something very GRACELAND, but what I got was something from another world. These guys rock!

9.5/10

Re: ANIMAL COLLECTIVE - Merriweather Post Pavilion

<3 brothersport

Fishpork 4.5/5
Kevchino (9/10)
No Ripcord (10/10)
Pitchfork Media (9.6/10)
Spin 4/5
Sputnikmusic 5/5
Tiny Mix Tapes 4.5/5
Toocooltodie.com 5/5
Uncut 5/5
Pastemagazine 9.1/10

Me (Kevin) 10/10 -I've listened to it alot ion the last couple days, at it has grown on me in a major way. One of my all time favourite records!

We've officially got a solid contender for album of the year...STRIKE THAT - Album of the decade.

and its only been 6 days since the new year has begun!

I really envy you, Kevin. Every new release is hailed by you with endless enthusiasm. You remind me of me during 1979-1983. I like a lot of albums from the actual decade, but if I remember well, the last album that created in me this kind of enthusiastic response was “Yoshimi” by the Flaming Lips. And this was 6 years ago!! Oh, shit, I’m getting really really old.

lol...I tend to only write about the stuff I really like. I'll rarely through a bad review around because I think its pointless in this forum. Everybody knows the shitty stuff, so why waste my time. Truth is I listen to roughly 15 albums every week. The Newspaper I work for gets the stuff I ask them to for free.

You'll probably see 10-15 very highly reviewed albums by me in a year on this forum.

Sometimes I get great feedback from some of the sites regulars'. I enjoy all responses because it helps me with my work. I know most people arent as fortunate as me when it comes to music and obtaining it, so I try to get people turned onto stuff they might not regularely try out.

Here's a true story, and my somewhat biased opinion when it comes to animal collective records.

When I interviewed for my position. The editing staff asked me If I could name off my top 5 favourite albums of last year (This was in 2004)

My reponse was as fallow's
1)Animal Collective - Spirit they;ve gone, spirit they've vanished
2)Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
3)Cat Power - You Are Free
4)Four tet - Rounds
5)Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music

I said my list without fumble or stalling. They all looked at me like I was on drugs.Peter my chief editor said "Who the fuck is animal collective, Cat Power, Four Tet, and the Jawhawks". I said "Combine them and you might have Radiohead"..lol...He laugh and said your hired.

They asked me to bring those albums in the next day so they could listen to them...lol. When I play "Spirit" I dont think any of them were the same ever again. I practically run the music department now. Last week I gathered up every Nickleback album we had on the shelves, and we had a nice fire out back.

Forgive my grammar, I'm not an editor...lol

Encase anyone is checking out the reviews and is interested. Here are a few more

Prefix 9.5/10

Experimusic 10/10

Rough Trade 4 Stars (Very positive review, but doesnt say what it's out of)

Culturedeluxe 8/10

So far, with the three Animal Collective albums I've heard, each has been far superior to the last. If this is half as good as everyone's saying it is it could be a top ten shoo-in.

It so is!

I agree, I feel they have been progressing towards something amazing. This is it!!!; however, there will probably be alot more. Top 10 of the year? Try DECADE!

I Know, I Know. You thinking I'm getting ahead of myself. BUT THIS RECORD IS THAT GOOD. Its like a perfect blend of the best songs from "Spirit, Feels, and Panda's Person Pitch"

YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINT.

With this album they will solidify there place in music history.

Fact Magazine (8.5/10)
Strangeglue (9/10)
Experimusic.com (10/10)

Just gave it a spin. I'll admit to not being a big fan of Animal Collective (I simply don't get the appeal of the 'stuck-cd-player' style more and more bands have nowadays), but I really don't think it's that great. Better than their previous efforts I suppose, but I'll give it a 7.5.

I will admit, it is something that you truely have to be into. Give it a few more spins, so it can work its way into your blood.

I have now listened to that album twice and I wanna listen to it more. This year have started with good albums. First came new Color Cassette (Forever Sparrow) and now this.
Still I wonder how anyone can say that album is album of the decade only week after he has heard it first time. I guess new Animal Collective gonna be in my top 20 of 2009 (could be in top 5 or even #1) but it's imposible to say now. I have loved their stuff since 2004 when I discovered them.

I didnt say it would be #1 album of the decade. I did however say it had a good chance at top 10. Personally it would fall into mine.

Hell...I thought Kid A was gunna be the best of the decade on my first listen. looks like I was right on that one.

Consequence of Sound - 5/5

Gigwise 5/5

Mondosonoro 4,5/5

Critics are definately all over this one. I dont recall any album from last year with this much praise.

hate to be a grouch, but amidst this fusillade of critical gushery (sorry kevin, but i don't need to know what every publication on the web gave the album...how about campaigning for something that's not already on everyone's radar whether we like it or not?), i just had to say something...here goes...

this "band" is truly, truly awful...a scourge on contemporary music, spreading disease and infection everywhere, diabolical...i can hear them sucking the fun and emotion out of their "songs" at every turn and replacing them with hipster art project sensibilities

of course, i haven't heard this new album, but i promise i won't listen to it on purpose!

sorry everyone...sometimes you just need to spit some vitriol...(kevin, no hard feelings)

wow, tough comment !

i really think their songs are full of fun, especially fireworks, the purple bottle and my girls which really make me happy everytime I hear them.
And they also really put a lot of emotion.

Anyway I can understand your point of view in a way, since their music really is strange and because your comment sums up what I think of some other acclaimed CDs, like Slanted and Enchanted or Screamadelica...

I think this new album really is a progress for the band to become more accessible and direct, they have find an unlikely way to keep lighten their strange sound of the annoying noises of some songs of Strawberry Jam or Feels.

To be honest I hated Feels the first time I heard it (and still am not found of the calmest songs, excepting Loch Raven) but fell in love with the first half of Strawberry Jam which was much more fun but maybe lacked a bit of emotion. The best songs of Feels (let's say Grass, Purple Bottle et Did You See the World) and of Sung tongs had that fun with much more emotions.
And Merriweather finds backs those emotions, remains challenging but shows a welcoming face that I doubted they could have !

Sol good. Its your opinion and everyones got one. Thats what these forums are for (Discussing Opinions).

Like I've said in my actual reviews of Animal collectives work. Approach with caution. This is a band that is obviously not for everyone.

Personally I find there music is nothing but fun. Its tribal, poetic, postmodernly primitive...lol...I think they are paving way for the norm that will surely fallow in the next 20 years. Look what sampling did for the rap business, it'll do the same for pop.

The way Ive always approached there music is simple.

I put the 20 year old versions of Tom Wilson, Lou Reed, McCartney-Lennon, Van Dyke Parks into a time machine. Spit'em ahead 100 years, and introduce them to the music scene in the year 2050. They lay down some tracks and out comes animal collective.

I view them as the Beatles and Beach Boys of our time. Im not saying there the greatest band making music today, but they are up there.

As for the reviews. HEY I LIKE READING THEM. It is against the law to think that someone else might be interested in knowing who has released their reviews?

Just a proof that the band can be fun !

That is the cooolest thing I've ever seen.

Since Sung Tongs, it seems AC have invented a completly new musical genre. I think Avey Tare and Panda Bear are two true pioneers of the 21st century.

Bradford Cox was saying somewhere that he thinks that when he will look back to this decade's music, it will be AC's tunes that will come to his mind (as the band that represents the 2000s).

It is exactly how I feel when I hear they're music. Maybe AC is as important for the 2000s as Nirvana was for the 1900s or David Bowie for the 1970s...

ML

I dont Entirely agree with you ML, but it definately is a possibility. Radiohead will probably be best remembered for this dacade. You just can't top Kid A, Amnesiac, Hail to the Thief, and In Rainbows

I Think Animal collective will be to the 00's what VU was to the Beatles in the 60's, what David Bowie was to Led Zepplin in the 70's, what Sonic Youth was to U2 in the 80's,90's were the 90's they didnt make since...lol

In some cases it is better to be the second band. I think they want geeks like us for fans, then to have worldwide domination.

Your enthusiasm is entirely warranted on this one, Kevin. This album is a masterpiece, and I'm sure there's a million and one piles of obvious musical bullshit worthy of someones vitriol before they lay into Animal Collective...

If MPP were released in 2008 (even though technically since it leaked on Christmas...), it would've been the best album for me last year. I like AC a lot but until MPP came out all their albums seemed to have at least one or two major flaws. This one is nearly perfect.

I'd probably have to disagree with Kevin's Radiohead:Led Zeppelin::AC:David Bowie analogy since I believe that Radiohead are very likely the David Bowie if you will of our decade (very popular and influential in the music scene but still manages to have somewhat of a cult status). I'd say AC are probably the Can of this decade (way underrated, very influential and respected in their genre, and will most likely show influence in bands of the decades to come). Just my thought on it.

Popmatters 9/10
Allmusic 4.5/5

Enacse anyone still cares

But not everyone shouts with joy...

The Boston Phoenix 2.5/4
Rolling Stone 3.5/5

You're right. Not everyone. Rolling stone shouldnt even be a music mag...lol. and the Boston Pheonix? (Okee then). Not being a douchbag or anything, but those were terrible examples

I just found those through metacritic and thought this thread needed some counterbalance.

They have no clickable link for the album yet, but the address is http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/animalcollective/merriweatherpostpavilion

Haha, we had the exact same thought Henrik. I decided against posting those two reviews though.

lol...Just becasue Dear Science was album of the year at Rolling Stone, doesnt give them any cred...lol...I havent read RS since Hunter S. Thompson passed, and he didnt even right about tunes...lol...However, you are correct, there does need to be some counterbalance, Things are a bit one sided on Merriweather Post Pavilion.

Rolling Stone should be a magazine, but it shouldn't be allowed to review albums released after 1991.

I'm hearing it for the first time. It actually does live up to reviews. Ever since Sung Tongs it's like every Animal Collective album is substantially better than the last.

My only small complaint is that it does some of the things that didn't work for me in Person Pitch.

Whats that?...Im not gunna stomp romp and holler. Im just interested, Person Pitch is one of my all time favs. What didnt you like about these records?

Bought it today, listened to it this evening. Obviously I can't write about it in detail after a single listen, but I enjoyed it immensely and would agree with the consensus that each successive album (I have everything from SUNG TONGS on) has been a progression, primarily towards greater accessibility - I mean, these guys are never going to top any airplay charts or anything, but on STRAWBERRY JAM and even more so on MERRIWEATHER the weird s**t is coalescing into an instantly identifiable sound and worldview (an overwhelmingly positive one, hipster affectations or not). There are a lot of moments here where AC remind me of no less than the Beach Boys, believe it or not; this may very well be what the inside of Brian Wilson's head sounds like.

then I wanna be Brain wilson.

Kevin, trust me - you really don't...

lol...Yeah he does seem kinda crazy!. Maybe for a day?...lol I baught the Cd yesterday as well, It was expensive! Ive also got a Vinyl copy, It only cost me 3 dollars more. CRAZY!

CD 24.99
Vinyl 27.99

Canadian currency

Bought it yesterday (for my b-day) and initially I like it better than Strawberry Jam, but the direction they're heading to is drifting further and further from the style of my favorite album of theirs, Feels.

I liked their more organic sound much better than this heavily electronic approach. It matched the playfullness of the band much better imo. They used to have so many different textures and colors going on, but now it's just all the same texture. And I wish they'd use more drum patters and tones. And I wish they wouldn't use droning as a crutch so much when nothing really that interesting is going on.

But I suppose I do enjoy the almost dreamlike state it puts you in. It's very soothing in a way.

They just need to do an album full of songs in the vein of "Leaf House."

They never remain the same. every album is different. There next will step further away from merriweather. I can appreciate bands like that.

So, this seems to be the most hyped album since - Is this it? Elephant? What would you all say?

Hype is what is expected, or what people are telling others to expect. ITS OUT NOW. Everyone has had 3 days to obtain it, and should have...lol... The Hype was matched with some of the best music of the decade.

To add perhaps a little balance to this thread, I'll first of all echo musictoad's comment about the sonic texture. It's not very diverse, and while I appreciate the unity of sound, there is still room within that to go in more different directions than they have.

I will clarify that I like the album. See here: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2009/jan/22/adam-kispert-album-reviews-2009-kicks-off-with-a/

The sound they have created is certainly beautiful, and perhaps there's no such thing as too much beauty. But it does get a little sonically monotonous by the end. In my opinion, which I won't state as fact like some people, the songs could have done more to distinguish themselves from each other rather than sounding so much alike.

Whether or not it's one of the most hyped albums of the decade, it's certainly one of the best reviewed. Amadou and Miriam's album currently has a better metacritic score, but I don't think anyone would say their album was all that hyped. Ratings don't always equal hype, but sometimes follow it.

I think it was awesome how they kept them same textures throughout. I think they were trying to actually make a concise album, and not just a disc full of random songs. Each song fused into eachother with ease. I think they should be commended for trying to keep THE ALBUM format alive!. I think thats why they released it on vinyl first; They wanted the kinds of people with record players to have a go at it before anyone else.

The album has been dying slowly these passed years. Bands like Radiohead, arcade Fire, Joanna Newsome. etc. are still trying to keep it alive. Lets face it, this site would mean nothing if songs were released as singles, and never as compilation of songs with unity, and relationships in sounds.

Kevin, I'm curious why you put Arcade Fire in that list. Their albums don't seem any more cohesive than the average indie band to me. I'd say Portishead did a much more impressive job of making an album that flows and builds and really feels like a complete work when they put out "Third." If I take any song from that album out of context it really misses a lot as opposed to putting it in context of the album. But I can't say that about Neon Bible.

Sometimes I can really appreciate keeping the same sound throughout and album. It can really add to the cohesiveness and fluidity. I just think AC did it to a fault this time. They made the album sound so much the same throughout that it almost becomes white noise to me, and that's not a good thing. I like albums to pop out at me and come alive, like a 3D picture. "Feels" did that to a tremendeous degree, and if AC keeps heading down the direction they're going, they'll never top "Feels" to these ears.

I'm not trying to say I'm right and you're wrong or anything, that's just my response to the album so far. I'm glad you are getting so much from it.

Feels was great, but what you see in it, I did not. I felt Feels was a less cohesive effort. I personlly didnt see the flow to feels, that I do in Merriweather. Both are amazing albums, maybe over time you'll come to appreciate merriweather more. Most have said it is there most excessible album, I however feel completely the opposite. with the Exception of (Spirit they've gone, spirit they've vanished) I think Merriweather is the least excessible Animal collective album. Starwberry Jam, Feels, Sung Tungs etc, all feel and sound easier on the ears. Merriweather Post Pavilion to me is the Trout Mask Replica of there cataloge.

As for arcade Fire, I felt lyrically, and musically it all fit perfectly. every song had the same soul and sound. All full and prompt. Each song working towards the next in a hurricane of sound.

Portishead worked on the same level, it was an amazing album. Have you listened to Radiohead cover THE RIP? it was amazing. Look it up on youtube

Have been reading some reviews of Merriweather on RYM (www.rateyourmusic.com). Mostly very positive.

The cover of the album is a bit hypnotizing, green leaves that keep moving and tricking you ... very psychedelia. And one the genres mentioned is 'Freak Folk'

BTW, haven't heard it yet ...

OK Kevin; since we're getting into semantics I meant hype as a synonym for acclaimed. Maybe it's not, but that's what I meant. This seems to be the most acclaimed album since maybe Is This It.

Yeah the acclaim is certainly there. It'll probably be remembered in alot of deacde lists. THIS YEAR IS LOOKING VERY PROMISING NO?

IM excited to see those Deacde lists come rolling in. Especially Pitchfork, I love pitchfork.

The album is selling pretty well on itunes.

Even though I hate I tunes. I guess its good that there finding a new audience! I just got my concert tickets in, I'll be sing them at the Sound Academy In Toronto, ON, In May. Its gunna be a great tour.

In France, they only get good reviews in the local Pitchfork, Les inrockuptibles, and indie-oriented pop magazines;
More adult-oriented or general mags like the excellent Telerama (which covers everything from classical to indie ) or Rock & Folk were less enthusiastic

Telerama (France) 2 stars (maximum 4): they say it may be inventive, but that doesn't mean the album is a succes. Last sentence in the review : "you have 2 optins left : a cigarette that makes you laugh (it's a French expression) or an aspirine and let's go to bed."

Les Inrockuptibles : no rating, but an excellent review ("the first masterpiece of 2009")

Rock & Folk : 3/5 : they say it is full of invention ( "a catalog of sounds and rhythms amazingly varied and well-crafted") but that it is "terrifying for the newcomer, less accesible than the new Of Montreal and Fiery Furnaces mixed together"

I quite liked it on first listen, but after three listens it started getting on my nerves too much. tbh I give it 5/10.

Metacritic.com has a 91% average right now on 30 reviews I believe. I winder what Panda bear would have to do on his next solo effort to top this. It'll be interesting.

This is how I feel it would fare in my decade 10 best right now.

1)Radiohead - Kid A
2)Radiohead - In Rainbows
3)Arcade Fire - Funeral
4)Panda Bear - Person Pitch
5)TV on The Radio - Return to cookie Mountain
6)Radiohead - Amnesiac
6)Sufjan Stevens - Illinios
7)Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Abbitior Blues/Lyre of Orpheus
8)Joanna Newsom - Ys
9)Radiohead - Hail to the thief
10)Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Just got it today. Heard it twice so far.

If you weren't into Animal Collective before, this album definitely isn't gonna change you, but that to me was never a good critique of anything. As a fan of the band, I would definitely agree that this is probably their best work so far. I also agree with another person here that mentioned how experimental it was. From all the great reviews, I was expecting one of the band's more accessible, "beautiful" outings, with just a tinge of Spirit's and Strawberry Jam's experiments. But no, it surprised me how trippy this album actually is. Like the other person said, this is one of Animal Collective's most experimental works. What makes it so great isn't any extra accessibility but rather more successful, enjoyable experimentation. I was pleasantly surprised to find that out.

It deserves to end up in the top 20 or so of the decade for this site.

Well Kevin, I wouldn't yet say that this year is looking promising. I've been disappointed already by Andrew Bird, Franz Ferdinand, and Antony.

well..In my defence! I don't like Franz Ferdinand, Andrew bird hasnt done anything in the past that would make me think his new record was going to be great, and Antony I think put out a very good record 8/10.

Still... Im not gunna list every band that im excited for, but here's a few that have me biting my nails.

Grizzly Bear
Radiohead (Possibility)
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
My Bloody Valentine
Sonic Youth
Bruce Springsteen
Grinderman
Joanna Newsom (Unconfirmed)
Sufjan Stevens (No word, but there must be something soon)
Panda Bear
PJ Harvey
Battles
Wilco
Cat Power
Yo La Tengo
Neko case
Tom waits (Finsihed a tour, album soon?)
Midlake
M.Ward
Flaming Lips (Rumours)
Decemberists
Midlake
LCD Soundsystem (Rumours)
Broken social Scene
Bjork (Nattura was recent)
Outkast
Blur (Reunited)

etc...The list goes on. It'll be great!!

I was hoping this would be the album that I finally understand what's the big deal with AC. Nope. None of their albums are unlistenable so I'm not in Greg's camp where I absolutely abhor them but I just don't hear anything that makes this band the greatest of this generation as some seem to think. For a band to be that they need to bridge the gap between innovation and accessibility and I just don't see that with Animal Collective on any of their albums. I like that they have found their own sound but I fail to understand why that sound has brought upon universal acclaim.

Accesability comes with time. You have nothing to compare their unique sound to, so it most definately sounds unfamiliar. The only warm up you can take for Merriweather is Ac's back catalogue. Not everybody was easily turned onto Velvet Underground, Talking heads, Sonic Youth, Ramones, Sex Pistols, My Bloody Valentine. Its because they were innovators. People probably didnt look back and think VU&N was the greatest album of all time until they understood it's impact on music. Sure Animal collective is riding the wave of high acclaim right now, but they wont truely succeed until they have inspired future acts to follow suit in there sound. Maybe 10 years from now, your favourite modern band will be vastly inspired by AC, you'll look back and say " WOW I understand that now.

Radiohead has turned me onto music and bands and I probably wouldnt have bother with 10 years ago (Including AC). I was never a fan of Electronics and stuff. Now Kid A is my favourite album!

Good music is like fine wine. It always gets better with age.

"Time will tell, who has fell, and who's been left behind. You go your way, I'll go mine"

Heard it a few more times, and as much as I loved it the first couple of spins, it's really growing on me.

The inventive production is what first strikes you, but that's a staple of all AC albums. I think what puts MPP over the top are the lyrics, which are the most poetic and mature they've written to date.

" All I want for MY GIRLS. Is four walls and Adobe Slats"

Lovin it~!

It's now got a 91 on metacritic after 31 reviews.

I've always sort of liked AC, but I didn't think they were a great band until this album. I didn't like Sung Tongs, I had Feels as like my #30 for it's year, Strawberry Jam as like my #18. It'd be surprised if this didn't wind up in my top ten.

It's at least the only standout album so far this year. They've still got a bit too much of a 'Noise + repetition' element, but it's way smaller an element than in their previous stuff, and it's the most consistent album of this sort I've ever heard.

You should checkout there new music video for MY GIRLS on there website. It'll automatically load itself. Its kool.

I tried

lol, good for you, nicolas. I do like, but numerous efforts to like it better have failed, and I'm now quitting.

Guess the consensus around here is about 75% like, 25% dislike. Not to bad considering most other artist completely draw the line in the sand.

And remember that, as is always natural, those who dislike something will always be the ones more likely to speak up, especially if that something is praised through the roofs. That's why you see more forums talking about how The Godfather and Citizen Kane are overrated than forums that discuss how great they are. Don't worry too much about the detractors here.

I never do. I just don't want some to be distracted by opinions and observations that I and others believe to be wrong. What some people hated about the album, I loved.

I just wanted everyone to give it a go without being scared off. AC is easily a band that attracks negatively persuasive criticisms.

If I ever argue something to death, it isnt because I feel as though Im right. Its becasue I dont want the others to believe that my apponent is completely right.

My criticisms are usually always constructive. Sometimes offensive, but always constructive. i.e. (Vampire weekend war!)...lol

thanks for this thread, i'm going to go buy this tomorrow, it looks really interesting.

Enjoy!

Just a reminder. This should be no one's first AC listen. "Feels" is my recommended start. Then "water Curses".

"I just don't want some to be distracted by opinions and observations that I and others believe to be wrong."

"If I ever argue something to death, it isnt because I feel as though Im right."

Hmmm...something's got to give here.

Numerous listens and I still don't hear the brilliance of MPP. The album starts great but by the time I reach Brother Sport, the album has already lost all of its momentum.

But I'm glad that others love it so much.

What was the objective behind qyoting me? Like I said it's my opinion. I want others to listen to it for the reasons that I loved it. why would anyone listen to anything becasue someone said they hated it.

Because their tastes are completely opposite?

Because you contradicted yourself.

You said you believe others' opinions and observations about MPP are "wrong."

But at the same time you say you never discuss or argue to prove yourself "right."

If I ever have a daughter and name her Ardour I'd never NEVER let her play with the Logic twins from the neighbourhood..

I never said they were wrong. How can I physically determine there taste and what they hear. Im asking people to take a chance on the album becasue of how I feel about it. If someone were to listen to someone who disliked the album and not listen to MPP at all then (THAT WOULD SUCK). Im sure there's an artist whom you favour alot, that I would hate. Are you gunna stand by and let me tell someone not to listen to it because its terrible. NO...Your gunna say why you like it, and why they should give it a chance from your point of view.

Tim got offended when I said Vampire weekend sucked. he didnt sit quietly. He expressed his opinion, and I expressed mine.

The entire point of reviewing an album is to get someone to try something because of the way you feel about it.

You wouldnt type. I loved this, but everyone else on the planet hated it. Listen to me, Listen to me, Im right, Im right.

No you wouldnt. You simply express a love of something, and hopfully that person takes a chance becasue of how you personally felt.

Like I've said before in this forum. I love the album for the same reasons you hated. Im not gunna deny that its repetitive, and has over produced sound qualities. IT DOES, but thats what I happen to enjoy, and others might to.

If you feel strongly that people shouldnt give MPP a try, then say so!, but dont get offended when I remark on your comments.

Dude, you DID say they were wrong, right up above on this page. THAT's why I quoted you, verbatim. Go back and read it.

That's all I'm saying. Don't get bent out of shape. I just wanted some clarification because I thought it was a strange thing to say.

I said "I and other BELIEVE them to be wrong" BELIEVE is the key word. I can't state for a fact what you think and feel. In an overall point of view, or in majority opinion you could very well be right.

The only way to express an opinion against someone else's is to state that YOU BELIEVE them to be wrong. If I had said it flat out and as a fact, then I simply would not be right.

I think its just bad communication with words on my part. There are many limitation to blogging. If we spoke face to face it'd be easier.

My Bad

Anybody else given it ago yet?

Despite listening to My Girls endlessly I hadn't gone through the whole album from start to finish untill just yesterday.

Preface - My best friend is an up and coming indie musician (techno-rocker I guess) in the NY area. His two inspirations are Radiohead and Animal Collective, though his work more closely resembles AC. As such, some of my affections for my friend and his work are shown through my opinion of this album.

With that said, I think it's fantastic. I don't think any of the songs individually are as strong as Fireworks, however I think it's easily there best album in terms of a cohesive unit (but I've been told Feels is better). I think it will most likely make T5 of 09 and probably T20 of the decade too.

As for AC in general, I would rank them on par with Radiohead, nor do I think they will be as influential as RH, VU, or Ziggy Bowie. None the less they make great music and are something to be appreciated, particularly on the second listen (which with these guys is better than the first).

Thanks for the comment. Panda should be hainding out a release date for his person pitch follow up. everyone keep an ear open.

Just enase anyone is interested, or perhaps most of you already know.

There's a new fantastic Burial song on his web page, you should check it out.

So...It's been a while. Has it grown on it's hater's, has it heal the ear's of new comers?

Anyone care to speak about Merriweathers first couple months in our world.

I still think it's a perfect album, but I however have been an Animal collective fan for a very long time, so Im kinda biased.

What do you think?

I think that the more time passes, the more I prefer Feels and Strawberry Jam

My main hope is that this album will hieghten the success of feels and strawberry jam. With Merriweather success ive lots of people start to look into there back catalogue. This is important, very important.

Well, it's still the year's best (in an admittedly weak year so far, but I do think MPP stands up to most of the decade's best).

I think the year has satrted off fairly well.
Animal Collective
Antony & The Johnsons
Dark Was The Night Compilation
Wavves
Neko Case

Its not 1969, but im ssur itll pick up

Haven't heard Dark As The Night and Wavves, but it's true that Neko Case's new one is great. Also, U2's latest has become a guilty pleasure of mine. Antony has been growing on me, but I still don't know if it's a let-down or a continuation of excellence.

I guess three, possibly four, meets/exceeds expectations, in over two months, is good. Still, too many albums have disappointed me to call it a strong year, like Franz, Springsteen, Andrew Bird, Prodigy, ...And You Will Know Us, and M. Ward.

I was deeply saddened by the sub par effort from M.Ward. He was on a role with other projects. Hopfully he'll come back to us next time.

I've listened to it all the way through about four times. Hmm..forgive me, for I'm not very articulate. I definitely hear Pet Sounds and Smile in there. Of course, I guess maybe it's cliche by now to say that. And, I'm not a fan of Pet Sounds or the Beach Boys sound in general. But right now, I think it's ok; I hear the hooks: "I want... to walk... around.. with you" and "...for my girls." playing in my head. But so far, nothing has revealed itself after repeated listens the way the great ones do. Of course, the really great ones don't reveal their best parts till after about 10 listens, so maybe this is like that. I'll keep listening :)

I think Hold Time is his best since Transfiguration of Vincent. It has a similar sound but just like Vincent it gets a little long. But, I really didn't like any of the others.

i'm liking this more with every listen. i'm still very hesitant to call it a masterpiece, but it is quite excelent.

Im still loving it myself as well. Im sure im closing in on about 20 listens...lol. Its nice to here the news that Bob Dylan, and Tom waits are gunna have records out this year. Can we end this decade any better?

yes, i think we could certainly end this decade better... the whole thing could have been better.

sorry for the negativity

true, it doesn't hold a candle to the '90s, but this decade hasn't been all that bad. Actually, a lot of the best stuff has arrived under the radar. I can think of at least 20 albums ranked 1000+ or that aren't even on this site that are superior to most of the 2000s top 100. Just gotta know where the music is, and it suddenly becomes a solid decade.

OK; I'm ready to give it a 3/5 rating.

Im glad this discussion has reached almost 100 replies. It's nice to see that someone can recommend something on this site and have it heard for good or bad.

Yesterday I listenend to MPP, and I'm listening to it again right now. It's growing me, prob going to make my T10 of the decade.

1 2