The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: ANIMAL COLLECTIVE - Merriweather Post Pavilion

If MPP has some long term pull on the music scene then I think it'll make most top 10 decade lists.

Albums like :Kid A, Return To Cookie Mountain, Yoshimi, XTRMNTR. Will allo go down as greats just on the basis of what they have or will inspire. The effects of MPP might not be felt immediately, but in 10 years we might look back and find that it was the sgt peppers of our time. Its a very complex record, its layers are intricate and calculated.

I just listened to it
man i deserve a sort of medal of honor
Now i got a real headache
Worst thing is that sometimes there are good (vocal) moments, but these sonic parasites are absolutely repellent for me sorry

2/5

so this album got me interested in AC and now i love them. i now have MPP, feels and strawberry jam and i can't help but like strawberry jam a LOT better and feels somewhat better. that's saying something for something as good as MPP but i gotta give it up for "For Reverend Green"

Kevin I can't believe you paid 25 bucks for the CD. I bought it in HMV in Hamilton for like $16.

Kevin
If MPP has some long term pull on the music scene then I think it'll make most top 10 decade lists.

Albums like :Kid A, Return To Cookie Mountain, Yoshimi, XTRMNTR. Will allo go down as greats just on the basis of what they have or will inspire. The effects of MPP might not be felt immediately, but in 10 years we might look back and find that it was the sgt peppers of our time. Its a very complex record, its layers are intricate and calculated.

Sgt. Pepper of our time?? Why must you insult MPP like that???

I pad $25 at sam the record man in belleville, on. A week later it was at the HMV where I had innitially reserved a copy and it was 10 dollars cheaper. It sucked. I also baught the vinyl. I love it.

Here's how I see this AC MPP saga. I've heard practically every single one of their previous studio albums (I'll admit, not close enough), and I found the first few albums i.e. pre-Sung Tongs really unlistenable and not memorable at all (again, i've only heard these albums max. twice before I gave up and went back to sonic youth). With regard the albums after sung tongs and pre-MPP, I remember liking the first max 2 songs, before it sort of descended to bleeps and noise (with the exception of SJ anf track 5 Fireworks). So yeah, I was pretty much a AC hater, seeing them as hugely overrated and unworthy of the acclaim they seemed to receive from everywhere. When I listened to MPP, I first reacted in a similar way to sungtongs, feels and strawberry, liking the first two songs and thinking the rest were bleepy. After listening to it a few more times, I do think it is a fantastic album, with tracks 1-8 very close to prefection. One of the things I like most about this album is the fact that I think it has emotion and hooks I can sing along to (which is something i think the other albums are generally devoid of).

Maybe I'll revisit the other albums now..

I saw them live in Montréal two weeks ago and the show was truly amazing. Since I was sick, though, I needed to leave earlier so I did not have the chance to hear My Girls or Brothersport (if they played them). Favourite song of the evening : Daily Routine (which is far from being the song I prefer on MWPP).

Also, one thing got to my attention : There were A LOT of teenagers and club "adepts" in the crowd. It wasn't your typical indie show where only hipsters show up. It seems like AC reaches the mainstream hearts now.

This is great since this music is not the most accessible and yet, it has a wide and always expanding audience.

PS: Aren't you guys a little bit disappointed by Pitchfork's 9.0 for Grizzly Bear? I thought it would get at least 9.2, since it is much better than Yellow House (8.8 or 8.9?) IMO.

I saw them at the Sound Academy in Toronto. I agree, there were alot of teenagers there, and almost all of them seemed like they were on acid...lol. It was an amazing show. I showed up 3 hours before with my girlfriend and her friends. We ate some Magical brownies, did some go-carting just down the block,it was a blast. Grouper (Dont actually know her name) SHE WAS FREAKY, she looked like a crack addict on her last legs, but she gave a very strong performance. My higlight was summertime cloths, and lion in a come. Panda also did some person pitch stuff. It was a great show.

I agree with your Grizzly Bear comment. I think it was one of the all time great albums. A 9.0 just didnt seem enough. Im sure it'll battle for #1 in the year end tally

True about Grouper!! She seemed so much (yet, discretly) involved in her performance. I had the impression that she was somehow "hiding" under the heavy layers of noise she was creating. It reminded me of Deerhunter or other Kranky-related artists.

Summertime Clothes was awesome... Before the show, I saw them once live (for Strawberry Jam) and I was amazed by Avey Tare's charisma on stage.

Before MWPP, he was clearly the dominant figure in the band. With MWPP, Panda Bear seems to gain more and more presence and for the first time, he leads as much as Avey... Yet, seing them live again, Avey Tare consolidates his place as THE leader of AC, even if Panda has slightly better songs than him on the record!

Avey does very much feel like the centre of the band. I dont think there is a clear leader, but while on stage, he commands the most attention. Panda does create the best songs, but thats not to say it isnt a collaboration. I think of them as a modern version of the beatles. Panda as Paul for his intricate arrangments and often light hearted side. Avey as John for his blunt force and often emotional vocation on stage. Deakon as george because ultimately the pieces are compiled and tinkered with at his table for a more subtled perfection.

Kevin
I saw them at the Sound Academy in Toronto. I agree, there were alot of teenagers there, and almost all of them seemed like they were on acid...

Four of my friends (teenagers all) went to the AC show in NYC, and surely enough they were tripping on shrooms. I guess AC is just the kind of band that inspires psychedellic behavior.

I also think Veckatimest is great. Definately the best album released this year not named Merriweather Post Pavillion.

Yes, Veckatimest is pretty damn great and might finally give MMP some sort of challenge.

1 2