The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
A Yearly Chart on a Daily Basis, Thread 7

Because of downsizing at Jonah, Inc. M.C. duties for 1979 will be replaced by the DJ 3000.

It plays YouTube clips automatically, and it has
three distinct varieties of inane chatter.

"Hey, hey. How about that weather out there?"

"Woah! _That_ was the caller from hell."

"Well, hot dog! We have a weiner."

"Looks like those clowns in congress did it again. What a bunch of clowns."

We'll be right back after these messages...

Re: A Yearly Chart on a Daily Basis, Thread 7

As someone in the radio business I laughed out loud.

So I'm signed on for 1982, I believe. Is there a limit to when I could do the next one? I know 1983 and 1984 are taken, but could I do, for instance, 1985?

Let's get this party started! Or shall we say BART-ted.

Unfortunately, none of the remaining artists on this list appear on the Simpsons, so the references to that show will end with my first two posts.

#10. (2 years) (1) Blondie - Heart of Glass

Here's Lily Allen doing a cover:

#9. NEW Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2

This song is a staple of classic rock radio, and I'm often tired of it, but in the history of Pink Floyd it's such a unique phenomenon that this song, of all things, became a huge hit single. I think it has a slick rebellious vibe to it that is timeless. It's also my only chance to put Pink Floyd on here, so there ya go.

#8. (3 years) (5) Talking Heads - Psycho Killer

That Old Grey Whistle Test looked like a neat show.

I can't decide which is the best late 70s opening bass line ever, the Another Brick in the Wall preface or this song.

#7. NEW Pretenders - Brass in Pocket

This song always comes under the radar for me. It's such as unassuming pop tune, far less in your face than a lot of the music coming out at the time, including other stuff by the Pretenders. A perfect pop melody.

#6. NEW Gary Numan - Cars

I hope Gary Numan isn't just a quirky interest of mine, since I don't hear this song and the album Pleasure Principle talked about much in this forum as the bonafide new wave classics and pioneers of electronic music that they are.

This song is totally unique and otherworldly. I love how Numan's voice interplays with the mechanical hook of the song. It hard to tell whether the human or the machine sounds more distant and alienated from real emotion. I like the song Metal even more.

5. NEW The Clash - Train in Vain (Stand By Me)

Sorry, Clash fans, but I have found the closing London Calling track more welcome to repeated listens. Heartfelt and vulnerable, with the more punk elements of their sound appearing in wonderfully subtle ways.

Ladies and Germs, we are entering the personal top 100 song zone

4. (2) (14 years) The Beach Boys - God Only Knows

I feel like it's a little weird putting a song mostly irrelevant to the 1979 music era on this list once again, but I really can't ignore one of my favorite songs of all time if it survived this far. Hopefully keeping it from the top spot will be enough of a consolation prize.

#3. (3) (2 Years) Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen In Love?

Thanks so much to John for bringing this song into the mix. A great representative song of all the gems on Singles Going Steady, nothing sums of the pure rare pop power of 1979 than this tune. The jangly guitars are the cherry on top.

#2. (7) (3 years) Television - Marquee Moon

Unless you're listening to some prog-rock band that always plays long songs, THIS is the standard by which I judge any rock track lasting over eight or so minutes. Satisfying in every respect, whether it's the perfect dueling guitars, the perfect crescendo, and that deceptive false ending. Time stops when this song plays... can Television be excused for not putting out that much music, as long as this stands as their finest artistic achievement?

#1 NEW Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

Whenever I have gone to clubs and parties and the latest bland, "dance" tune, is played, I always hope against all hopes, that I hear something approaching the greatness in this song. And I'm always disappointed, because no single song can have a groove this perfect. As I discovered this song moving backwards in time from all the dreck I heard on pop radio, I realized this was the gold standard that I had been wanting to hear along. I wanted a spoken intro, whispering the hints of what's to come over a quiet but energized bass line . I wanted a kicking start with full string hits with crystal clear sound production. I wanted a vocal that floats over the whole operation without ever calling attention to itself. And yes, I wanted a crazy breakdown with a guitar solo in the middle. M.J. did some other music after this, didn't he? Doesn't matter to me.

RECAP

10. (2 years) Blondie - Heart of Glass
9. NEW Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2
8. (3 years) Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
7. NEW Pretenders - Brass in Pocket
6. NEW Gary Numan - Cars
5. NEW The Clash - Train in Vain (Stand By Me)
4. (14 years) Beach Boys - God Only Knows
3. (2 years) Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love?
2. (3 years) Television - Marquee Moon
1. NEW Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

Retired:

Undertones - Teenage Kicks
Ramones - Blitzgreig Pop
David Bowie - Heroes (close call)
Junior Murvin - Police and Thieves
Magazine - Shot By Both Sides

Never Made It:

The Clash - London Calling
Chic - Good Times
Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight
Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry

Time to pack up my computer! See you guys in a few days.

What happened to DJ 3000?

Excellent list, Jonah. Although I absolutely love the five songs that “never made it”!! (London Calling, Good Times, Rapper’s Delight, I Will Survive and Boys Don’t Cry, no less).

Glorious 1980

Hola! Hope you all did enjoy Eurovision Song Contest last night. Congratulations to Russia. ESC 09 will undoubtly be a spectacular show. Sadly, there's no Johnny Logan represented on this year's list on AM, so we'll have to do without him.

First off is one of the new songs this year.

10.(--) ( NEW ) DEVO - WHIP IT

Well, “enjoy” maybe is not the exact word applied to Eurovision Contest. But I’m expecting to enjoy a lot the new radio show of WWAM, especially opening with Devo.

Eurovision Song Contest.. ah, there's so many fond memories for me there. My earliest memory is my sister jumping around the living room when Bobbysocks bagged the first ever victory for Norway in 1985. That's all I remember from that year, but the year after I got a severe crush on Belgian winner Sandra Kim.

On to number nine. It's a survivor from last year, but really a song that reminds me more of the 80s than the 70s. Excellent is it anyways. And I haven't checked, but I think you can see it if you scroll half a meter up.

9. ( 6) (2 years) Gary Numan - Cars

A lot of famous musicians have been contestants in Eurovision Song Contest. They may not be the most acclaimed artists in the world, but they've sold a helluva lot of albums. ABBA, Julio Iglesias, Cliff Richard, Celine Dion, Lara Fabian, DJ Bobo, T.A.T.U., Ofra Haza and Las Ketchup, to mention some of the best known.

Talking Heads never entered the contest, but if they had did they probably wouldn't have scored a lot of points. Their music wasn't made with the Eurovision audience in mind. None the less, it's magnificent. This one is always played at 11 in my car before I play my floorball matches. Again, scroll somewhere, or search on youtube to find it.

8. ( (4 years) Talking Heads - Psycho Killer

There's all sorts of music genres represented in Eurovision Song Contest. This year there was the usual ballads and dance songs, but also pop/rock, novelty, emo, folk, mugham, opera, soul, alternative rock, heavy metal, powerballads and possibly even more.

There were no country songs this year, but there has been a few earlier years. Even in the Norwegian national finals we've seen country music. Last year Dusty Cowshit were robbed when they just finished four with the excellent Chicken Rodeo.

This country music is completely different from Dusty Cowshit. Both are enjoyable, but George Jones' try is really something else.

7. (--) ( NEW ) George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today

Yesterday I saw a documentary on tv about two Norwegian football fans who travelled through England with a goal to see every of the 92 football stadiums used in the Premiership and Nationwide football leagues. They had seen about 60 of them, usually travelling from their base camp in Rotherham.

Today, I read about one man who had been to 16 Eurovision Song Contest finals, and he had made friends in all the countries in Europe. Just think about it; The last ten years he has been to Belgrade, Helsinki, Athens, Kiev, Istanbul, Riga, Tallinn, Copenhagen, Stockholm and Jerusalem.

Both ways seems like really fun ways of seeing places one usually doesn't go to, and to meet nice people. There are probably a lot more gay men where the Eurovision is, than near Millmoor in Rotherham, but that's the only difference I can see, really.

The following song hasn't got anything to do with either football or gay men, at least not to my knowledge. It is however one early gem of a hip hop hit, just as enjoyable today as it once were. If only hip hop sounded like this nowadays..

6. (--) ( NEW ) Kurtis Blow - The Breaks

There has been a lot of bitching about the Eurovision Song Contest has become a political event, and that the best songs doesn't win. All that matters is who your friends and neighbours are. All this criticism comes from Western European countries, of course, because they haven't got as many neighbours as the eastern countries. Well..

Let's look at the artists those damn Eastern Europeans sent this year. Russia, the winner, sent Dima Bilan. Huge star east of Ljubljana, winner of several MTV awards. The song was produced and co-written by Jim Beanz, co-producer and co-writer for such artists as Nelly Furtado, Shakira, Katharine McPhee, Britney Spears and Ashlee Simpson.

Ukrainian Ani Lorak, who came second, has been one of the most popular musicians in Ukraine for several years. Also third placed Kalomira from Greece is a well-known and popular artist in her home country* (*Her home country is actually USA, but her father is Greek).

Buzzcocks aren't Greek, Ukrainian or Russian, as far as I know, but they sing about love better than any of those foreigners. Scroll somewhere if you want to hear it.

5. ( 3) (3 years) Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love?

My country, Norway, has the excellent record of ending last in Eurovision Song Contest. We're also the country with most "nul points"-songs, that's four.

But the last five or six years, one country in particular, has pointed themselves out as the leading country for making crap music. And that's none other than United Kingdom. How in the world could this be? A country so rich in great artists, and they end up being last several times. Here's the very little impressing results of a country that really wants to win, but can't seem to find out how:

2008 - 25th, and last place
2007 - 22nd, and third last
2006 - 19th, and sixth last
2005 - 22nd, and third last
2004 - 16th, and ninth last
2003 - 26th, last place and nul points.

The following song goes all the way, in a way those English songs haven't even heard of. This is the real gambler's anthem.

4. (--) ( NEW ) Motörhead - Ace Of Spades

Some really memorable songs have come through the Eurovision Song Contest. Granted, most of it is useless, but now and again some true classics arrive. How about these for instance: Nel Blu Dipinto Di Blu (better known as Volare), Congratulations, Waterloo, Poupée de cire poupée de son, Eres Tú, Save Your Kisses for Me, What's Another Year?, Ein bisschen Frieden, Hold Me Now, Ne partez pas sans moi, Diva, Fly on the Wings of Love, Every Way That I Can and My Number One. All were instant pop history.

Speaking of unforgettable songs from yesterday, this Beach Boys gem still plays with the big boys, and it probably will do when we write 2008. Excellent in every way, it probably should have been number one, but we want something with a little more oomph there now, don't we?

3. ( 4) (15 years) Beach Boys - God Only Knows

What I forgot to say when I praised the eastern countries for sending their most popular artists, were that most western countries do the opposite. This year, UK's Andy Abraham were the runner up on talent show The X Factor. Not a huge, MTV award winning megastar, then.

France sent Sebastian Tellier. A credible electronica musician, but not one most people know. Spain sent some laughable comic act. Germany did actually send someone who has sold a lot of records in central Europe, but we all know the sorry music taste they have down there.

The second place this year is the same as last year. A most excellent song, that never grows old.

2. ( 2) (4 years) Television - Marquee Moon

I guess most of you are familiar with Eurovision Song Contest in some way, but for those who aren't. Every country participating in the contest send in one song, and all countries vote for which is their favorites. Voting is now done with televoting, previously this was decided by a jury.

The ten songs that gets most votes within a country, gets points. 12 points goes to the most popular, 10 points to number two, 8 points to number three, and then 7, 6, 5 points and so on down to number 10. You cannot vote for your own country.

Below is a list of the songs that have received the most points on average. I've made this list myself.

1) United Kingdom '76 - Brotherhood of Man - Save Your Kisses For Me - 9.65
2) Germany '82 - Nicole - Ein Bisschen Frieden - 9.47
3) United Kingdom '97 - Katrina & The Waves - Love Shine a Light - 9.46
4) Ireland '94 - Paul Harrington & Charlie McGettigan - Rock n Roll Kids - 9.42
5) Belgium '86 - Sandra Kim – J'aime la vie - 9.26
6) Estonia '01 - Tanel Padar, Dave Benton & 2XL – Everybody - 9.00
7) France '76 - Catherine Ferry – Un, Deux, Trois - 8.65
8) Denmark '00 - Olsen Brothers – Fly on the Wings of Love - 8.48
9) Netherlands '75 - Teach In – Ding a Dong - 8.44
10) Israel '78 - Izhar Cohen & the Alphabeta – A Ba Ni Bi - 8.26
11) Ireland '87 - Johnny Logan – Hold Me Now - 8.19
12) Sweden '84 - Herreys – Diggi-loo Diggi-ley - 8.06
13) Denmark '01 - Rollo & King – Never Ever Let You Go - 8.05
14) Ukraine '04 - Ruslana – Wild Dances - 8.00
14) France '77 - Marie Myriam – L'oiseau Et L'enfant - 8.00
16) Ireland '80 - Johnny Logan – What's Another Year - 7.94
17) Finland '06 - Lordi – Hard Rock Hallelujah - 7.89
18) Ireland '93 - Niamh Kavanagh – In Your Eyes - 7.79
19) United Kingdom '75 - The Shadows – Let Me Be the One - 7.67
20) Latvia '02 - Marie N – I Wanna - 7.65

This year's winner got an average score of 6.48, and would be placed around 65th place.

Tonight's winner is the timeless classic by Joy Division. You've heard it before, but you want to hear it again. One of the best songs ever written.

1. (--) ( NEW ) Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

and I did vote for ChikiChiki AND Divine... funny how evil always picks the nearest but not the next one to anarchy...

Good evening, Europe. First, let me thank you for a marvellous show. You all look beautiful tonight. Here are the results of the Runistan televoting.

Devo - Whip It, one point. Devo - Fouettez-le, un pointe.

Gary Numan - Cars, two points. - Gary Numan - Voitures, deux pointe.

Talking Heads - Psycho Killer, three points. Chefs Parlants - Tueur Psychopathe, trois pointe.

George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today, four points. George Jones - Il a Cessé de l'aimer aujourd'hui, quatre pointe.

Kurtis Blow - The Breaks, five points. Coup de Kurtis - Les Coupures, cinq pointe.

Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen In Love?, six points. Buzzcocks - Jamais Amoureux?, six pointe.

Motorhead - Ace of Spades, seven points. Motorhead - As Des Cosses, sept pointe.

The Beach Boys - God Only Knows, eight points. Les Garçons de Plage. Un Dieu Sait Seulement, huit pointe.

Television - Marquee Moon, ten points. Télévision - Lune de Chapiteau, dix pointe.

and finally

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart, twelve points. Division de Joie - L'amour Nous Détachera, douze pointe.

This complete the votes of the Runistanian televoting.

Or put in other words:
1. (--) ( NEW ) Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
2. ( 2) (4 years) Television - Marquee Moon
3. ( 4) (15years) Beach Boys - God Only Knows
4. (--) ( NEW ) Motörhead - Ace of Spades
5. ( 3) (3 years) Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love?
6. (--) ( NEW ) Kurtis Blow - The Breaks
7. (--) ( NEW ) George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today
8. ( 8) (4 years) Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
9. ( 6) (2 years) Gary Numan - Cars
10.(--) ( NEW ) Devo - Whip It

Nul points:
Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime
The Jam - Going Underground
The Jam - That's Entertainment
AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
U2 - I Will Follow

Voted out during the semi-finals:
Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
The Clash - Train in Vain (Stand By Me)
Pretenders - Brass in Pocket
Pink Floyd - Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2
Blondie - Heart of Glass

Oh yeah, I also wanted to play this bonus song for you. It's Norway's entry to the Eurovision Song Contest in 1980. A true classic, which sadly only ended 16th out of 19 contestants. An excellent display of world music from my part of the world. Please listen :)

Well, DJ Rune, an excellent list for 1980 and a really complete review of the excellences of the Eurovision contest here in WWAM. Now it’s time for DJ Hono with the best songs of 1981. Sadly he won’t be able to post it till tomorrow, but stay tuned. You won’t regret it.

Great list guys, glad to see Marquee Moon still hanging around. Jonah: I am a big Numan fan (In my top 20 artist of all time) and though I like "Cars" a lot It probably wouldn't be one of my top 10 songs of his. Glad it made it to the list though.

I'm just getting into Tubeway Army/Gary Numan. I adore Replicas and quite like The Pleasure Principle too. What other albums would you recommend?

All I have is Pleasure Principle, actually. So I'm all ears about other Gary Numan suggestions.

My favorite is probably Replicas. Though his singing style is pretty much the same throughout his catalog every album seems to vary musically and production wise. After "Replicas" and "Pleasure Principle" I would recommend 1980's "Telekon" which adds guitar more prominently, The Tubeway Army debut which is a little more "punkish" but has some tremendous songs, and "Dance" which is smoother and warmer. I also like "I, Assassin" but not many others do. 2000's "Pure" is imo one of his best but it is a long way from his 80's sound. It is very dark and has an industrial like sound to it but has some great songwriting and lyrics. I would skip everthing from 1985-2000 though and especially stay away from "Warriors". He was/is a great live act too which is what got me hooked in the first place.

Hi everyone. Good morning, good afternoon or good evening (depending on the part of the world you’re on). You’re listening to WWAM, your favourite radio station. Are you ready for a good time?
Well, let’s go then. I’m DJ Hono, and 9 years are passed since I got the honour of hosting our end of the year special program. Last time the list was filled with glam-rock, singer-songwriters and funk. Now these are modern times, and quoting DJ Nicolas (one of the most renowned DJs of WWAM), many artists of today had turned into robots.

And, talking about robots, here is Gary Numan. Just scroll up, listen to the sound of the machines and dance to the sound of the “Cars”

10. (9) (3 years) Gary Numan – Cars

Not enough robots?. Well, just scroll up to see what happens when you put five robots in a Deep-South context. And one of them with with a whip! Yes, they are Devo and let’s “Whip It”!

9. (10) (2 years) Devo - Whip It

And let continue with the robots. Let’s get hypnotized by the robotic (but mesmerizing and oddly warm) voice of Laurie Anderson and her strange masterpiece called “O Superman”.

8. (NEW) Laurie Anderson – O Superman (For Massenet)

But not everyone are robots today. Coming from an Indiean reservation in Athens, Georgia, these four guys are giving birth right now to a new style that mixes angular punk-rock sound with crystalline jangle-pop chords. This is R.E.M. with their first single, “Radio Free Europe”. The new style still has no name. Indie someone?

7. (NEW) R.E.M. – Radio Free Europe

You may like also the first (energetic) R.E.M. TV appearance. Notice that Peter Buck is wearing the same red shirt for the TV appearance and for the video-clip too. Why?:
a) He really liked the shirt.
b) He hasn’t got money enough then.
c) Both answers are correct.

And now some pioneers of the cold wave that helped to define the sound of today. It may sound cold, mechanical or robotic, but of course it ain’t emotionless. Just scroll up and hear, in DJ Jonah words, “these duelling guitars, this crescendo, this deceptive false ending”. This is Television singing to the “Marquee Moon”

6. (2) (5 years) Television - Marquee Moon

Me Like the last two picks

But… someone said that robots have no feelings? Someone said that music made with machines can’t show genuine emotions? Just listen to this: jealousy, ambition, independence, sorrow and, yes, love. A robot can feel all these emotions (and more). This is The Human league and “Don’t You Want Me”, baby.

5. (NEW) The Human League - Don’t You Want Me

(thanks, Stammer)

And now a slice of (updated) nostalgia. Soft Cell takes an obscure soul piece from the first half of the 60s and transform it (or should I say transvestite it) in a vibrant synth-pop number. Dave Ball is responsible of the robotic backing and Marc Almond of the desperate and passionate singing. Soft Cell and their “Tainted Love”.

The video is so awful that probably most of you will prefer to see their “mythical” TV appearance on “Top of the Pops” (I can’t embed it cause it’s disabled).

Well, and now these are some guys that used to play happy songs. Now they’re really sad about these current times, about unemployment, about fighting on the dance floor. And they nostalgically reminisce these days when they dance and sang, the days before the robots came to Britain government. Shhh, the wind is blowing and The Specials are driving by night through the empty streets of a “Ghost Town”

3. (NEW) The Specials - Ghost Town

Well, I suppose that many of you are waiting to see some California sun filtering through the clouds, some devotion that has lasted for 15 years. But this is no time for California beaches, this is the time for New York streets, this is the time for stories about psycho-killers.

This was DJ Hono in 1981, now is Honorio in 2008: “Don’t get me wrong, “God Only Knows” is my #4 song ever, but if I do the exercise of going back to 1981, I surely didn’t give a damn for that song then. I was in a synth-pop and goth-rock period and probably I did found that song bland. And not only me. Apart from Bowie (that covered it for his “Tonight” album), it wasn’t a decisive influence then for nobody. Surely it was a lot during the 60s and mid-70s and subsequently much more. The revival of “Pet Sounds” belongs mainly to the 90s (remember The High Llamas) and even more to the 00s (remember Panda Bear). So I’m really sorry but, bye bye Brian”.

2. (8 ) (5 years) Talking Heads – Psycho Killer
(scroll up to see the video)

No, no, no. These are not happy times, these are no happy songs. Routine that bites hard, resentment that rides high, respect that run so dry, desperation that takes hold. And love. Love that tears us apart. Again. Joy Division again. At the top of the list.

1. (1) (2 years) Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

Now you've done it! Nah, just kidding. Great list.

Now you've done it!
Well, someone has to do the dirty work.

The list:
1. (1) (2 years) Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
2. (8 ) (5 years) Talking Heads – Psycho Killer
3. (NEW) The Specials - Ghost Town
4. (NEW) Soft Cell - Tainted Love
5. (NEW) The Human League - Don’t You Want Me
6. (2) (5 years) Television - Marquee Moon
7. (NEW) R.E.M. – Radio Free Europe
8. (NEW) Laurie Anderson – O Superman (For Massenet)
9. (10) (2 years) Devo - Whip It
10. (9) (3 years) Gary Numan – Cars

Eliminated:
Beach Boys - God Only Knows
Motörhead - Ace of Spades
Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love?
Kurtis Blow - The Breaks
George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today

Missed the cut:
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five – The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel
The Go-Go’s – Our Lips Are Sealed
The Rolling Stones – Start Me Up
Rick James – Super Freak
Tom Tom Club – Genius of Love

And that was all, folks. It has been a pleasure again to host the special program of 1981. These are robotic times for sure but the return or rock is waiting round the corner. Stay tuned for more great music in WWAM.

I could be mad about getting rid of "God Only Knows," but then again I'm the ass that got rid of the Beatles.

Good list Honorio!

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Don’t worry, Henrik, Stephan and Slush. In fact God Only Knows is the winner of the game yet… I doubt that any future song could surpass this 15 years period.

I guess "Love Will Tear Us Apart" could challenge "God Only Knows."

...or maybe even "Marquee Moon" for that matter.

Honorio, you've made my task very difficult! You basically included all the songs that I would have, bar "Genius of Love".

The "marathon table" is presented in a differently this time, as we're celebrating 30 years of the yearly chart. Here is the 6-LP GOLD COLLECTION.

LP 1
Side A
Elmore James - Dust My Broom (1951)
Hank Williams - Hey Good Lookin' (1951)
Kitty Wells - It Wasn't God Who Made Honky Tonk Angels (1952)
Big Mama Thornton - Hound Dog (1953)
Hank Williams - Your Cheatin' Heart (1953)

Side B
Elvis Presley - That's All Right (Mama) (1954)
Chuck Berry - Maybellene (1955)
The Platters - The Great Pretender (1955)
Little Richard - Tutti Frutti (1955)
Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues (1956)

LP 2
Side A
Gene Vincent - Be Bop A Lula (1956)
Jerry Lee Lewis - Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (1957)
Sam Cooke - You Send Me (1957)
Chuck Berry - Johnny B. Goode (195
Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues (195

Side B
The Everly Brothers - All I Have to Do Is Dream (195
Link Wray - Rumble (195
Dave Brubeck - Take Five (1959)
Bobby Darin - Mack the Knife (1959)
The Everly Brothers - Cathy's Clown (1960)

LP 3
Side A
The Shirelles - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (1960)
Etta James - At Last (1961)
Henry Mancini - Moon River (1961)
Del Shannon - Runaway (1961)
Ketty Lester - Love Letters (1962)

Side B
Roy Orbison - In Dreams (1963)
The Beatles - She Loves You (1963)
The Ronettes - Be My Baby (1963)
The Supremes - Where Did Our Love Go (1964)
The Beach Boys - Don't Worry Baby (1964)

LP 4
Side A
Bob Dylan - Like a Rolling Stone (1965)
The Mamas and the Papas - California Dreamin' (1965)
The Beach Boys - God Only Knows (1966)
The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations (1966)
The Four Tops - Reach Out (I'll Be There) (1966)

Side B
The Byrds - Eight Miles High (1966)
The Kinks - Waterloo Sunset (1967)
Otis Redding - Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay (196
David Bowie - Space Oddity (1969)
The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter (1969)

LP 5
Side A
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son (1969)
Edwin Starr - War (1970)
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (1971)
Al Green - Let's Stay Together (1971)
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust (1972)

Side B
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973)
Stevie Wonder - Living for the City (1973)
Robert Wyatt - Sea Song (1974)
Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road (1975)
Junior Murvin - Police and Thieves (1976)

LP 6
Side A
Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop (1976)
The Damned - New Rose (1976)
Television - Marquee Moon (1977)
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer (1977)
David Bowie - "Heroes" (1977)

Side B
Buzzcocks - Ever Fallen in Love? (197
Blondie - Heart of Glass (197
Michael Jackson - Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (1979)
Gary Numan - Cars (1979)
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart (1980)

Wow! That's a good compilation!!

And with no Beatles on it!!

I agree. It's an amazing journey through music history. And Beatles are represented by "She Loves You".

Oops, sorry...

you've made my task very difficult!
Well, Moonbeam, this game is quite difficult really. It's always like that when you have to choose between songs that you love (and we all know that you love the songs on the Top 10 of 1982!).

I still never got an answer about whether I could do 1985, 1986 or 1987 (if they are available). Are there any rules suggesting a minimum gap?

Moonbeam, I once said that the hosting should be limited to one year per decade, but it's more important to get the game running, so feel free to take one of those years. Thanks!

Good evening. This is your pilot Moonbeam speaking. You are flying aboard the WWAM 1982. This plane is fully equipped with anything your ears desire.

Our airwaves have been flooded with requests for the yearly countdown, resulting in a very competitive chart. Several entires that missed the cut would have safely maintained their sojourn in the top 10 for other years.

The prevailing undercurrent of paranoia in this brave new world permeates the chart this week, as we kick off with a repeat entry. It is delivered by our boys from Coventry, as they lament the neo-conservatism that has gripped the Western world.

10. (3) (2 years) The Specials- Ghost Town

Coming up...

1982 Moonbeam
1983 Slush
1984 Stephan
1985, 1986 or 1987 Moonbeam
1989 netjade
1991 Honorio
2001 Honorio

The paranoia takes a turn toward the personal now, as our next artist adamantly denies the claim of parenthood of a would-be lover. The nation has been completely transfixed by the cool style and hypnotic bass that envelops the track. Sales of single gloves have also shot through the roof, rather suspiciously. Something tells me that Mister Jackson's return to the chart will surpass his latest one-and-done feat of "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough" back in '79.

9. (NEW) Michael Jackson- Billie Jean

And now we meander through the tragic, as the paranoia this time ended up costing the vocalist his life. Posthumous beatification or a legitimate chart hit? Who cares! This song is just great. I am happy to let our loyal listeners in on a little juicy tidbit. The video for this song was filmed on the day your ever-loving DJ was born. So what if that makes me 2 years old?!

8. (1) (3 years) Joy Division- Love Will Tear Us Apart

After that somber note, the paranoia moves to the big city, as the next artist shines a light on the seemingly insurmountable obstacles facing blacks in today's cruel world. Creep along to the beat and try not to lose your heads, suckas. But leave it to DJ 'Beam to keep you from goin' unda.

7. (NEW) Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five- The Message

Our next chart entry is from an up-and-coming artist who has sniffed chart success for a few years, finally cracking the top 10 with this classic reworking of the car/sex motif. It seems our usually cocky Prince is susceptible to the paranoia himself, as he wonders whether he has enough to satisfy the precocious girl who parks sideways.

6. (NEW) Prince- Little Red Corvette

Prince - Little Red Corvette via Noolmusic.com

Get Video Code For YouTube Music Videos 80s 90s - Prince - Little Red Corvette

Continuing with the automotive theme, our next chart entry instead uses the car as a haven from the perils outside. In today's modern world, amidst the hustle and bustle of the noisy traffic and governments continuing to infringe upon our personal rights and space, our cars have become our new homes. So bask in the glorious minimoogs and behold the sterile beauty of this repeat entry.

5. (10) (4 years) Gary Numan- Cars

Our next stop along the Paranoid Express takes us into sonic paranoia, as the chilling synthesizers and jittery drum machine set the stage for a more personal tale of the student surpassing the teacher, leading to passionate cries in the chorus that seem destined to go down in history as a part of our collective culture.

4. (5) (2 years) The Human League- Don't You Want Me

Next up is an additional entry from one of the artists above. The ultimate crossover hit, it pairs the King of Pop with guitar hero Eddie Van Halen in a duel for the ages. The drama is only escalated by the amazing video. Our fight is funky and strong, alright.

3. (NEW) Michael Jackson- Beat It

Our penultimate entry in the chart this week is a chilling rendition of an old Northern Soul classic, drenched in seedy sweat and obsessed with nightlife. The irresistible synth fog hovers over this paranoid tale of predation and escape. So bust out the handclaps and enjoy.

2. (4) (2 years) Soft Cell- Tainted Love

Debuting at number 1 this week is the ultimate in paranoid expression. Something in the water must not quite compute in Chanhassen, as our elfin hero returns with a sonic boom of a song, thinly veiling a message of spiritual preparation for the apocalypse in images of uninhibited sexual abandon. Who better to mix funk and rock, black and white, and the spiritual and the carnal than Prince? This is the song that got me into music, and its indelible imprint on me has worked its way into my DNA. Mommy, why does everybody have a bomb?

1. (NEW) Prince- 1999

http://www.spike.com/video/1999-prince/2786033

Welcome to satisfaction. Pleasure remain awake until the aircraft has come to a complete stop. Thank you for flying AM International.

Great job Moonbeam, though I will have to say that my list would be completely different from this. Sad to see REM's early exit and "Marquee Moon's" departure but that is the nature of this game.

I would have included both of those in most other years. I had to pick about the hardest year possible.

Summary:

The list:
1. (NEW) Prince- 1999
2. (4) (2 years) Soft Cell- Tainted Love
3. (NEW) Michael Jackson- Beat It
4. (5) (2 years) The Human League- Don't You Want Me
5. (10) (4 years) Gary Numan- Cars
6. (NEW) Prince- Little Red Corvette
7. (NEW) Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five- The Message
8. (1) (3 years) Joy Division- Love Will Tear Us Apart
9. (NEW) Michael Jackson- Billie Jean
10. (3) (2 years) The Specials- Ghost Town

Eliminated:

Talking Heads- Psycho Killer
Television- Marquee Moon
R.E.M.- Radio Free Europe
Laurie Anderson- O Superman
Devo- Whip It

It should be noted that I really like all of those, and love a few.

Missed the cut:

Marvin Gaye- Sexual Healing
Afrika Bambaataa & The Soul Sonic Force- Planet Rock
Joan Jett & The Blackhearts- I Love Rock 'n Roll
ABC- The Look of Love
The Clash- Rock the Casbah

Damn, I like almost all of those, too.

Excellent selection and presentation, DJ 'Beam

I was born December 31st, 1983...so, yeah, I wanted to do 1983. Before we begin, here's my favorite song from 1983 (not even bubbling under...gasp). This version so you can watch Steve Morris drum:

10. (9) (2 years) Michael Jackson – Billie Jean

Since you can't embed this video, here is a link (since everyone needs to see the light-up sidewalk):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzp0JETG0Pw

But if following links isn't your thing, maybe Steve Martin is:

NEW 9. The Smiths - This Charming Man

I really don't have much to say on this one, except that it's great.

8. (2) (3 Years) Soft Cell - Tainted Love

See the original above as posted by Honorio and Moonbeam. See the bastardization below. If imitation is the highest form of flattery, perhaps this is just a testament to how great the original song is (as opposed to record label's attempt to cash in on a great song):

7. (10) (3 years) The Specials – Ghost Town

A great song that really takes an eerie vibe and runs with it. Here's the Top of the Pops performance:

"Age of Consent" is indeed a classic!

Sorry for the delay...the series of tubes just farted out at work.

6. ( (4 years) Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

I really like the BBC version that Honorio has posted above, but in the spirit of posting a new different video, here's Jose Gonzalez's version of the song. This song has been covered roughly 928374 times and I think this is one of the better covers since it brings out the intimate somber mood of the song:

5. (7) (2 Years) Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - The Message

I've been to about 20-25 hip-hop shows and I'm pretty sure none of them have had clothes this cool.

4. (6) (2 Years) Prince - Little Red Corvette

Two things that shock me about this choice: 1. That I'm actually moving a Prince song UP from where Moonbeam placed it and 2. How difficult it is to find a video of this song. Check out Moonbeam's post above for the original video in all its glory.

NEW 3. Violent Femmes - Blister in the Sun

When I went to see the Pixies a few years ago, the Violent Femmes opened to fill out an 80s left of the dial spectacular. I had always been a bit antagonistic about seeing the Femmes, thinking watching a bunch of guys in their 40s talk about the problems of adolecent frustration would be kinda silly. But then again, that's kinda the point with the Femmes is that they are silly. By being so playfully silly, the Pixies/Femmes show became a highlight of that summer, with special thanks to this song:

2. (4) (3 Years) The Human League - Don't You Want Me

This list hasn't offered me as many opportunities to present bastardizations of fantastic songs as the 1967 list did. What's ironic is that the 80s were - more or less - about selling out and creating crap music meant for mass consumption...at least more so than the 60s. Anyway, this song (posted above) is still awesome and the commercial is actually kinda humorous.

NEW 1. New Order - Blue Monday

Really, I'm just nuts about New Order. I think they created some of the most interesting music in the 80s and "Blue Monday" is typically the song that comes to mind when people talk about the general awesomeness that is New Order.

This isn't exactly the most exciting song to watch live, but you really need to get the 7+ minute version of this song at some point.

And then there's the Stan Brakhagesque music video from 1983...enjoy:

Surprisingly, this year was much more difficult for me to do than 1967, because I actually like all 20 songs for which I had to choose. Anyway, what must be done is done.

1. New Order – Blue Monday
2. (4) (3 years) The Human League – Don’t You Want Me
3. Violent Femmes – Blister in the Sun
4. (6) (2 years) Prince – Little Red Corvette
5. (7) (2 years) Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five – The Message
6. (8) (4 years) Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart
7. (10) (3 years) The Specials – Ghost Town
8. (2) (3 years) Soft Cell – Tainted Love
9. The Smiths – This Charming Man
10. (9) (2 years) Michael Jackson – Billie Jean

Cut:

Michael Jackson - Beat It
Prince - 1999
Gary Numan - Cars

Never made it to the party:

The Police - Every Breath You Take
Grandmaster Flash - White Lines (Don't Do It)
Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want to Have Fun
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax
U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
U2 - New Year's Day

Oooh, I'm planning ahead too. Can I do 1995?

You can mark me up for 1988.

If we're planning ahead, I'd like a crack at 1997. The '90s are really the only decade that I'm familiar with for this game.

I guess I'll take 1985.

Time for 1984!

I wish I could say it was hard to pick this top 10, but it wasn't hard at all. The entire top 10 (as well as 3 that didn't make it) are in my top 500 favorite songs. That's how good this year is folks, so keep that radio tuned to WWAM.

We're starting off with a returning artist, #1 last year and #10 this year. The incredibly memorable kick drum intro gets everyone up on their feet and by the time the end of the 7 minutes are reached everyone is dancing. Or should be. "How does it feel, to be on your own, wi-" wait. That's not right.. "How does it feel, to treat me like you do"! See? Everyone is influenced by Dylan. Scroll up a little for the song.

10. (2 years) New Order - Blue Monday

I distinctly remember seeing Purple Rain when I was a kid, and I remember not liking it much except for the music. And especially this song, the one at the end. My first run-in with Prince, and thankfully not my last. And I'll let you in on a little secret, it won't be today's last either.

No clip (not one with sound, anyway) for Prince, as usual.

9. (NEW) Prince - Purple Rain

Mismaiome, what is that? It seems like you need some ultra speed connection to see that image...

Uuum..

Yay, two Purple Rain videos on the same page now. At least for me.

Thank you Mismaiome. For the next song we're going to visit the land (and the prince) of Purple once more.

Click here for the clip

8. (NEW) Prince - When Doves Cry

The lyrics to the next song don't make much sense, something even Bono admits: "I looked at how glorious that song was and thought: 'What the fuck is that all about?' It's just a load of vowel sounds ganging up on a great man. It is emotionally very articulate - if you didn't speak English." Then again, there are other bands who've made a career out of not making any sense. And I don't care. Go Bono.

No embedding, so you'll have to load the page

7. (NEW) U2 - Pride (In The Name Of Love)

I'd love to do 1986 after Moonbeam.

Great lists, boys!

And remember: "Click 'Next' to see the last posts in threads with over 100 posts"

1 2