The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: The top 100 albums from the 1990s - the final results, page 1

My girlfriend would vote for Belle & Sebastian, Buena Vista Social and Jeff Buckley.

Bob Dylan - Time out of Mind (1997)

Score: 1670 points

Biggest fans:
Torsten and otisredding (#3), Neoptolemos (#

Comments:
A mature album if there’s one, with Dylan dealing with loneliness and death with bitter resignation, wrapped by a suitable atmospheric production by Daniel Lanois. (Honorio)

Place in the 1997 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 30

Sigur Rós - Ágætis Byrjun (1999)

Score: 1680 points

Biggest fans:
Chris (# , Anthony (#9), pop elton (#11)

Comments: None

Place in the 1999 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 45

Wilco - Summerteeth (1999)

Score: 1682 points

Biggest fans:
Greg and Paul Manusama (#9), DrDre (#10)

Comments:
It’s the beginning of something, and that something certainly isn’t the ending... one step away from the full-on epiphone of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. (Rendle)

Smoother than Being There, first attempt to leave the Americana path. (DrDre)

Place in the 1999 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 86

Primal Scream - Screamadelica (1991)

Score: 1685 points

Biggest fans:
Fred (#3), rendler (#4), pop elton (#6)

Comments:
I know people say this is a drug album... well... yeah it is. But in this case it isn’t a bad thing. ZThe first half is the increasing high while the second half is the slow comedown. (Rendle)

Second most overrated album ever (LonesomePanda)

Place in the 1991 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 6

Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville (1993)

Score: 1709 points

Biggest fans:
Mike Kelly (#2), Schwah (#4), rendler (#

Comments:
When i first heard this album, the lyrics shocked me. But there’s more to shock factor here. This ‘Exile’ is more about exile than The Rolling Stone’s “Exile”. The Stones were exiled from England, Liz felt exiled from everything else. (Rendle)

A huge flash in the pan. I mean I actually do like Whip Smart, but boy did she not live up to early promise. And even on the evidence of this album, she is nowhere the equal as an artist of others below her (to take just female singers -- Bjork and PJ Harvey are ten times the artist Phair is). So why this high from me? It's not about the shock of "Fuck and Run" and her wanting to be my "blow job queen." Musically, she created songs and Brad Wood created a sound that bore deep, while still sounding spare and economical. Stand out tracks: "Divorce Song" and "Stratford-on-Guy," where the simple act of landing at O'Hare airport becomes a mystical, grand experience. (Schwah)

Place in the 1993 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 40

Massive Attack - Mezzanine (199

Score: 1710 points

Biggest fans:
pop elton (#7), Slush (# , LonesomePanda (#9)

Comments:
The dark underbelly of Electronica is met only with the standards of Mezzanine. (Rendle)

Well, "teardrop" alone would have make it in my top 10 anyway (LonesomePanda)

Place in the 1998 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 58

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing….. (1996)

Score: 1710 points

Biggest fans:
LonesomePanda (#2), Mike Kelly (# , Harold Wexler and Paul Manusama (#11)

Comments:
The vibes on this album are surreal. They make you want to dance, but in a different way than all other music makes you dance... it’s strange. (Rendle)

Nothing sounded like this before, nothing did since ! (LonesomePanda)

Place in the 1996 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 14

Elliott Smith - XO (199

Score: 1711 points

Biggest fans:
John (#2), LonesomePanda (#4), Schwah (#7)

Comments:
A little too emphatic sometimes, but yet wonderful (LonesomePanda)

Great songwriting, and the arrangements and sweep is large. They are both so good that I find this to be a great sing-along album, even where I cannot quite nail what he's singing about. (Schwah)

Place in the 1998 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 113

Nirvana - MTV Unplugged in New York (1994)

Score: 1713 points

Biggest fans:
Mike Kelly (#4), DrDre, John and Miguel (#

Comments:
It took accoustics to show what Nirvana were really made of. Such a ghostly album, especially the fact that many of the songs aren’t even theirs... mostly covers... but the covers are where they shine. (Rendle)

Breathtaking. It takes this unplugged session to realize how great their studio albums are. Excellent Bowie cover! (DrDre)

Place in the 1994 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 51

R.E.M. - Out of Time (1991)

Score: 1717 points

Biggest fans:
Miguel and Johan (#5), Mo (#7)

Comments:
Very meh for R.E.M., luckily the follow-up is amazing. (Rendle)

A great R.E.M. album filled with pop gems and played with exquisite taste, unfairly underrated because the next album was even better. (Honorio)

Not timeless, as the title suggests, but a strong collection of songs, still good enough for 5 stars. (DrDre)

Place in the 1991 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 33

Has this thread become too big? Is it too heavy to refresh for anyone?

And Liz Phair above Dylan. Quite fair (pardon the pun) based on the two albums alone, I assume, although I think the Dylan disc is superior to the two 00's jobs he put out following it.

I have to be off for a short while - hopefully back before the finals

I don't find any problem when I refresh. And I would prefer an only thread. But it's only an opinion.
Wonderful list.

Remaining albums

Air - Moon Safari
Beck - Odelay
Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Björk - Debut
Björk - Homogenic
Blur - Parklife
Jeff Buckley - Grace
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Nirvana - In Utero
Nirvana - Nevermind
Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted
Portishead - Dummy
Pulp - Different Class
Radiohead - OK Computer
Radiohead - The Bends
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Elliott Smith - Either/Or
U2 - Achtung, Baby
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One

Thanks Honorio, especially for what you previously wrote. I'm the one who should be honoured, as I would never provide such thoughtful comments.

Uuff, many many thanks, Henrik...

No probem w/ refreshing for me, was away for an hour, would prefer one thread.
A lot surprises for me in the meantime: the greatest artist of all time only at # 40, the very special Sigur Ros rel. low, same for DJ Shadow, Out of time much before Adventures and I ranked Nirvana MTV unplugged > #90

Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One (1997)

Score: 1719 points

Biggest fans:
tremolo and Miguel (#1), Collin (#3)

Comments:
You can hear the influence coming from every direction on this one. A mash-up of everything made up until 1997. (Rendle)

They are so versatile, and yet the songs all seem of a piece with one another on this album. So much beauty from such homespun figures; so much power from such an unassuming trio. (Schwah)

Place in the 1997 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 111

Björk - Homogenic (1997)

Score: 1737 points

Biggest fans:
Michel (#3), pop elton (#4), Nicolas (#5)

Comments:
Björk took her style further with the combination of lush orchestral arrangements with some electronic beats darker than before. (Honorio)

Homogenic hangs together wonderfully, but has a few too many songs not up to par. "Joga" and "Bachelorette" are great. (Schwah)

Place in the 1997 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 74

Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs (199

Score: 1755 points

Biggest fans:
EdAmes (#3), Miguel (#6), Tim and Fred (#7)

Comments:
I can’t explain it properly but this album always reminds me of Christmas time. In fact last year I played it while my children and I were decorating the Christmas tree. But (fortunately) my kids don’t understand enough English to catch the sense of lyrics about eyes that “explode like two bugs on glass”. Poisoned lullabies. (Honorio)

Place in the 1998 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 38

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers (1993)

Score: 1757 points

Biggest fans:
Vgrd (#1), tremolo and Paul Manusama (#2)

Comments:
Greatest rap album of the 90's. Has get a little less impressive with time, but still has its great moments (LonesomePanda)

Place in the 1993 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 29

Nirvana - In Utero (1993)

Score: 1767 points

Biggest fans:
Rocky Raccoon and Howlin' Andrew (#6), Twister (#7)

Comments:
Kurt takes us into a dark place with this one, as Nirvana get muddier, more experimental. (Rendle)

Place in the 1993 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 20

Elliott Smith - Either/Or (1997)

Score: 1777 points

Biggest fans:
LonesomePanda (#1), Miguel (#4), John (#5)

Comments:
Dark, raw, and angry. You could have sworn you hear a ghost. (Rendle)

My favourite album ever, simple but dense, intimate but generous… kind of creates a bubble wrapping me and protecting me from anything outside ! I will never have the words to describe how much I love this music ! (LonesomePanda)

Place in the 1997 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 112

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (199

Score: 1809 points

Biggest fans:
Harold Wexler (#2), Anthony and Rendle (#4)

Comments:
Jeff Mangum takes us on this odd journey through his dreams and fantasies it seems at first. It’s like those movies where you don’t realize what happened until the final scene, and plays out like that the whole way through. Jeff Mangum (or maybe the Two-Headed Boy, I should say) beautifully shows how he uses an obsession with Anne Frank to escape from his failiing relationships and sinking faith. A downward spiral has never been so bittersweetly displayed. (Rendle)

Place in the 1998 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 103

Air - Moon Safari (199

Score: 1815 points

Biggest fans:
Fred (#2), Slush (#6), Miguel (#10)

Comments:
Best non-US/UK album of the 90's. Still very nice to listen to. (DrDre)

Not even in my top 10 french albums of this decade (LonesomePanda)

Place in the 1998 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 19

Blur - Parklife (1994)

Score: 1823 points

Biggest fans:
Slush and Toni (#1), Johan (#2)

Comments:
The first half lags... the second half is where it picks up. “Trouble In The Message Centre”, “London Loves”, “This is a Low”, it really is all good. (Rendle)

Blur decided to vindicate proudly the glorious past of British music without being overtly revivalists, using the Kinks/Jam/Madness musical identities as the ground from where they built a new sound using the wry lyrics of Albarn and the versatility of the band, with “Parklife” as a peak. Somebody called this Brit-Pop. (Honorio)

My second favorite album of all time (behind the White Album), and the best album of my favorite band. It's like the band let each song search by itself for its best possible arrangentment. The result is an ecletic album, full of catchy harmonies and creative textures. Each second of the album is filled with sounds like chords, metals, backing vocals, keyboards, synthetizers and, best of all, Graham Coxon's well-aimed guitar lines, that never sound the same. But all this diversity compunds a very coherent sturcture, marked with an intense brit-feeling. Each song has a particular role, and it is impossible to imagine the album without any of these tracks. The album has moments of punk guitars, danceable beats, hardcore, video-game-like keyboards, european folcloric instrumental waltz, psychedelia, ballad, hymns, and much of the Britpop's auto-celebrative spirit. But the way, we've gotta remember that this may be called the official mark of Britpop's movement birth (although it was being generated since 93). Anyway, I don't think this makes the album any better, but it's good to see much that came after in the 90's England is influenced by this masterpiece. (Toni)

Place in the 1994 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 27

Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted (1992)

Score: 1835 points

Biggest fans:
EdAmes (#1), tremolo (#4), rendler (#5)

Comments:
It’s like an experiement, a forty-minute experiment. (Rendle)

I was shocked at the people voting to take out Pavement in the Loophole round of Survivor. I think -- but may very well be wrong -- that some of them have only listened to this album and felt that the messiness overpowered the melodicism and songcraft. If that is the case, I see where they are coming from with this album, even if I do not agree. But I'd urge a listen to Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain and Brighten the Corners before passing final judgment on Pavement. (Schwah)

Place in the 1992 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 16

Well, I just woke up. Is it too late to join this madness?

It's never too late, 2 out of my top 5 are still in the running even though the other 3 were out in no-time.

Great variety among those last 10!

Good morning!

I am really liking this list. I might have to dump Pitchfork's 90s list as my guide. NMH at #24 is excellent since from the forums it seems it's buzz had not reached worldwide.

Not to be negative, but all that Britpop going out early was welcome. I couldn't tell the difference between Travis, Suede, others anyway.

Regardless I still have a lot of listening to do. I only heard about 40 of the 100 on this list.

I love the list, even if Pavement or My Bloody Valentine are ranked higher than I would like. Our list is any bit as good as any other, Pitchfork for instance. And if more of us had added comments it would be even better.

Yes, Honorio, I do regret it now
I'll do it for our next polls (all-time albums and songs)
Btw, my son heard the first record of his life : it was Bruce Springsteen's "Magic" that I was playing when my wife went into the living room with him.
Good choice for the artist, not so for that special record (recent E STreet Band albums are really a big disappointment, the production is awful and only 1 song out of 2 is good)
Well, back to our list, only 3 of my top 10 records are still to come

First chance to comment.

Hmm. I wonder if IN THE AEROPLANE would have made the top 20 if I had voted it #1 instead of #2. Doesn't matter, though. I rather suspect - especially after yesterday's astonishing results in the song poll - that my #1 will be the overall #1 album at the end of the day.

Henrik, allow me to join the chorus of thanks for putting these polls together and doing such an amazing job of coordinating and presenting the results.

Wow, I made it back in time.
Schwah, I've never even heard Slanted and Enchanted, which I guess is a bit embarassing to admit to - I just never could find a copy. I've got Brighten the Corners, which I enjoy.
In the Aeroplane I was turned on to during the 2005 AM poll. I would certainly have put that on my own list too.
Congratulations on sonny's beginning musical education, Nicolas.

Harold, In the Aeroplane would still be #24, with 1813 points, if you had it at #1.

Oasis - Definitely Maybe (1994)

Score: 1853 points

Biggest fans:
SuperFurry and Toni (#2), Twister (#3)

Comments:
More raw and possibly consistant than (WTS)MG?. Supersonic may be Oasis’s best track. (Rendle)

As I said in the commentary about Supersonic, this album, for me, seems to have nothing to be a masterpiece, but, somehow, it is able to touch millions (including me) in na intensity rarely seen in pop music history. Is has power, energy spilling over for all the sides in an impressive quantity of instantly rock hits, like Rock'n'Roll Star, Supersonic, Shakermaker, Cigarrettes & Alcohol and, my personal favorite, Up in the Sky. Not to mention the absolute classic Live Forever! (Toni)

Place in the 1994 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 11

Björk - Debut (1993)

Score: 1854 points

Biggest fans:
Honorio (#2), Mo and Toni (#6)

Comments:
The very first electronica album that I really loved, cause it supposed a brand new use of the voice in a predominantly instrumental style or dominated by soul divas. And the voice of Björk is possibly the most unique in pop history, balancing perfectly the confidence and the vulnerability, the virtuosity and the spontaneity, the craft and the extravagance. (Honorio)

More experimental music full of soul. (Toni)

Place in the 1993 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 24

Pavement - Crooked Rain Crooked Rain (1994)

Score: 1874 points

Biggest fans:
Schwah (#1), Mike Kelly (#3), EdAmes (#4)

Comments:
S&E may be the indie classic, but Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain is Pavement’s true shining moment. With tracks like “Silence Kit” (Kid, Actually), “Stop Breathing”, “Gold Soundz” and “Fillmore Jive”, you can’t not love this one. (Rendle)

The perfect (and I mean PERFECT) marriage of the melodic and the shambolic. The punk hit and the epic sweep. The snot-nosed, cheap shot (just ask STP and Smashing Pumpkins) and the oblique album-long thesis on two themes 1) Los Angeles and (2) rock itself. And following a month where "L.A.'s Desert Origins" have been in the news once again, it feels as fresh and unique as the day I saw them, drunk off their asses, finish off the Crooked Rain tour. I remain baffled why Slanted and Enchanted is more loved than this album, even though I do love S&E. S&E swings too much toward the messy side. They revealed greater ambition here, and succeeded in every way except, perhaps, commercially. No loss there. (Schwah)

Place in the 1994 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 44

The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (1993)

Score: 1878 points

Biggest fans:
Collin and Jonah (#2), Rendle (#5)

Comments:
It seems like Smashing Pumpkins have been trying to piss off people since this release. Mellon Collie I guess did bring the grandeur of “Silverfuck” to grander levels on half of its tracks, but didn’t convey the shoegazing shine of “Today” and “Cherub Rock”, the sprawling epichol approach of “Hummer” and “Soma”, the over-the-top jaugernut of “Geek U.S.A.”, or the melancholy of “Mayonaisse”. (Rendle)

Place in the 1993 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 28

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love (1995)

Score: 1888 points

Biggest fans:
Rocky Raccoon (#1), Henrik (#2), Harold Wexler (#6)

Comments:
Polly Jean diminished a little the rawness of her previous works and transforms herself into a glamorous, theatrical and sophisticated diva. And not losing the edge along the way, replacing the explicit representation of female sexual desires by no less disturbing tales of twisted loves and unsettling religious imagery. (Honorio)

Last album from this list with 5 stars at RYM (i.e. in my favorite top 50). Her albums before this one were kind of great, but not as consistent and coherent as this one. What a voice. (DrDre)

PJ Harvey on a theatrical bent. Marred by a few less than par songs, but her genius shines through. (Schwah)

Place in the 1995 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 25

I don't get that Nicolas, I think Magic is almost on par with classics like Darkness On The Edge of Town and Nebraska. Sure, they're in on the whole loudness war thing, but several songs are pretty darn great.

I can't remember how I could be so self-confident ranking the last 5 albums if I cannot imagine living without them. The expression is exxagerated, but you know what I mean.

Checking back in again. The biggest puzzlement to me--no offense to those of you who ranked it so highly--is the appeal of Moon Safari. To see it ahead of Liz Phair, all but one Nirvana, DJ Shadow, Moby... I could go on and on. It's a puzzlement to me. I guess there are just blind spots that each of us has, and that's certainly one of mine. Of the albums I know on the list (roughly 3/4 of them), that's by far my least favorite.

I'm sorry I can't participate because I got my sister and nieces at home
but I take a look every now and then

Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs (1999)

Score: 1893 points

Biggest fans:
Greg (#2), Dumbangel and Honorio (#3)

Comments:
This triple album is an ambitious tour de force that widely succeeds. From Cole Porter to Abba, from roots to avant-garde, from laughter to tears, no style or sensation is missing in this trip with “love” as common thread. I completely agree with James Hunter from New York Observer about Stephin Merritt: “The greatest living American songwriter right now”. (Honorio)

Place in the 1999 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 35

Oasis - (What's the Story) Morning Glory? (1995)

Score: 1899 points

Biggest fans:
Anthony (#3), Neoptolemos (#5), Tim (#6)

Comments:
Even if just for “Morning Glory” and “Champagne Supernova” it’s great. (Rendle)

Beatles revival in the mid-90's. They should have stopped at their highest, i.e. after this album. (DrDre)

Well, I think this one has, actually, more standout tracks then its antecessor. Oasis could spend at least 3 years only selling singles from this album, cause all tracks here are perfect. But there's one point here: it looks more like an agglomeration of hits than like an album as a unit. However, the tracks are so brilliantly enjoyable that the album is still one of my 10 favorite albums of his decade. (Toni)

Place in the 1995 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 9

Portishead - Dummy (1994)

Score: 1944 points

Biggest fans:
Henrik (#1), LonesomePanda (#3), DrDre (#5)

Comments:
Dummy is the film-noir of music. “Glory Box” never fails to send chills down my spine. (Rendle)

The Bristol scene was an essential part of the 90s sound. Massive Attack were undoubtedly the pioneers and Tricky took the sound further, but it was Portishead with its debut album and its dark but smooth mixture of electronic and organic, of eccentric pop and soundtrack music who gave a masterpiece to the trip-hop style. (Honorio)

Best trip-hop album ever. (DrDre)

Beauty of depression ! An incredible voice, magical samples, perfect songs (LonesomePanda)

Place in the 1994 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 8

U2 - Achtung, Baby (1991)

Score: 1944 points

Biggest fans:
Neoptolemos (#2), Rocky Raccoon, Midaso and Toni (#3)

Comments:
U2 reinvent themselves. (Rendle)

U2's greatest acheivement -- better than the early singles and Joshua Tree. They -- and particularly the Edge -- expanded the palate. Most importantly, Bono better learned the power of understatement. His delivery on "One" and my favorite track "Until the End of the World" shows greater maturity. (Schwah)

I listen to this whenever I feel like getting some fresh climate. I love the experimentation in here, the guitarfull introduction of some songs, that look most like interludes between some of them, the urgent rocks and the full-of-soul ballads. Besides, it contains one of, at least, my 20 favorite songs of all time, that is The Fly. (Toni)

Place in the 1991 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 10

Pulp - Different Class (1995)

Score: 1958 points

Biggest fans:
Mitchell Stirling (#2), Tim and Harold Wexler (#5)

Comments:
Smart, sexy, british... what more can you ask for? (Rendle)

I have never enjoyed any Pulp song except Common People (LonesomePanda)

Anchored by two mammoth songs ("Disco 2000" and, of course, "Common People") so good that they pull up the worth of the rest of the album. (Schwah)

Place in the 1995 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 21

I hadn't heard one Suede, Blur and Spiritualized album each. But apparently not in that detail that I could attend the song list Confirms that I had too much time in the 90s (for listening music). Strange to confess this in this forum, but my girlfriend would be proud.

Let's go back to the one-by-one countdown style for the top 10. Who's next?

Henrik, I'm bad at rembering and scrolling, could you please giv an - alphabetic of couse - overview of the remaining albums. So we can guess the outcome. Thx

Really big surprises to me: Magnetic Fields soo high and Dummy so low. Guess M.F. is one of my white points. Another band will dominate the remainder: I'm the only person with a grey point regarding Radiohead.

So... Belle and Sebastian in the Top 10. Great!

So, I managed to copy and paste. My guess:
Radiohead - OK Computer
R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
Nirvana - Nevermind
Beck - Odelay
Jeff Buckley – Grace
Radiohead - The Bends
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

My guess:

1) Radiohead - OK Computer
2) Nirvana - Nevermind
3) R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
4) Radiohead - The Bends
5) My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
6) Massive Attack - Blue Lines
7) Jeff Buckley – Grace
8) Beck - Odelay
9) The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
10) Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister

My Top5-guess slogan "O my grace, automatic computer delay!"

Belle and Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister (1996)

Score: 1970 points

Biggest fans:
Tim, pop elton and Miguel (#3)

Comments:
A Scottish band commanded by Stuart Murdoch that brought back the sensitivity and fragility to 90s indie pop, brought influences like Nick Drake or Burt Bacharach not so usual till then and conquered the bedroom and the heart of many young people with the smart but heartfelt songs from “If You’re Feeling Sinister”. (Honorio)

Place in the 1996 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 62

Although several of the poll's top 10 weren't in my top 10, I'm very, very happy with the top 10--with the exception of Soft Bulletin, which, though I want to like it, I just can't. But the rest: Well, this group has good taste.

good first shot, Michel

I just took the time to read through some of the comments, and once again Schwah nails it. About Exile in Guyville:

<>

That seems exactly right to me. And "Starford-on-Guy" may well be my #2 song of the decade. Too bad it wasn't in the top 100.

OK, I screwed something else up. I guess I should always preview my messages. I meant to quote the last couple of sentences of his discussion of "Exile." Oh well. My pint is: Good job Schwah.

Jeff Buckley - Grace (1994)

Score: 1983 points

Biggest fans:
Nicolas (#1), Twister (#2), Midaso (#4)

Comments:
Jeff Buckley has the voice of an angry angel, which is perfect for his music because if anyone else attempted it, it would be child’s play. (Rendle)

The early death of Buckley turned his debut album into his testament, an ambitious and sweeping record with a voice in state-of-grace. (Honorio)

Place in the 1994 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 13

I hope i'm right for the #9 too: Soft Bulletin is the only album i really don't like among the remaining (#100 in my list).

i was wrong (and late...)

Even the Flaming Lips album comes next, I also think it is by far overrated here. Anyway, very good Top 10.

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin (1999)

Score: 2011 points

Biggest fans:
Dumbangel and Midaso (#2), Mo and Johan (#3)

Comments:
Wayne Coyne at his most vulnerable. (Rendle)

The eccentric world of The Flaming Lips found in Dave Fridmann the perfect allied for fully realizing its adventurous projects. (Honorio)

Well… I have discovered them with a live song on a french show, and I found it boring and pretentious… for this poll I have gave them another try and well… I guess there is something but I still don't really get it (LonesomePanda)

Place in the 1999 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 22

Seems like most of us here now are pleased that Flaming Lips didn't reach higher than this. Personally, I much prefer their next album.

Exactly, Henrik, me too

Radiohead - The Bends (1995)

Score: 2029 points

Biggest fans:
Collin and DrDre (#4), Paul Manusama and Rendle (#6)

Comments:
The Bends, over the years, has gotten the raw deal. Fans have clumped this one together with Pablo Honey after every album since then. The thing is though, that The Bends is almost on their level. The Bends’ title should show you what you’re in store for as it’s a nickname for ‘decompression sickness’. The album works on sleepy ballads and hypnotizing guitar-based anthems that keep you in an eternal floating sense for an ineternal 48-minutes. (Rendle)

Their second best album behind OK Computer. (DrDre)

High and Dry, Street Spirit, Fake Plastic Trees… 3 reasons to worship this album (LonesomePanda)

No OK Computer. Fake Plastic Trees and High & Dry are transcendent. Some other of there songs on this album are not so good. I realize how heretical this is, but I could never tell too much difference between "Street Spirit" and a 70's ballad from Kansas. And yet it's in my top-20. I guess that's how good Radiohead are. (Schwah)

Place in the 1995 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 12

1) Radiohead - OK Computer
2) Radiohead - The Bends
3) Nirvana - Nevermind
4) R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
5) Beck - Odelay
6) My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
7) Massive Attack - Blue Lines

That's my guess.

Wow, ok, didn't expect that. Not to say I'm disappointed though, just surprised.

From here, there is almost complete consensus between the critic and us. The remaining albums are all in the AM top 7 of the 1990s.

AM top 7
1. Nirvana - Nevermind
2. Radiohead - OK Computer
3. Massive Attack - Blue Lines
4. R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
5. Beck - Odelay
6. Primal Scream - Screamadelica (our #37)
7. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Concerning Sceamadelica I'm sure we have the better taste

I think Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin are #8 is my all-time list. There has been a little too much Lips bashing so I'll say I'm glad it's in the top 10.

However it is one of those albums where I was really influenced by so many critics saying it was the greatest. I didn't pick up on how lovely it was the first time I bought it.

If you're the type that believes in praising albums independent of critic's reviews, I could understand why you don't get it. Early nineties Lips has something going for it too.

Massive Attack - Blue Lines (1991)

Score: 2049 points

Biggest fans:
otisredding (#2), Slush (#3), Vgrd and SuperFurry (#5)

Comments:
Addictive, that’s all I have to say... well also that “Unfinished Sympathy” is beyond amazing. (Rendle)

A tasty delicacy cooked using a lot of juicy ingredients (dub, house, hip-hop, deep reggae, soul) that created a new flavour for the 90s. (Honorio)

1991 was a very strong year, with 6 albums in my top 100. This album maybe being the most groundbreaking of them? (DrDre)

Of course, it created the genre, but Mezzanine is so much enjoyable. (LonesomePanda)

Place in the 1991 poll: 4

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 3

I have used Pearson's correlation coefficient

Thanks for the info, Henrik.

Now I have to catch up and read all details from #50 to #7. Be right back

Of the albums in the top 10, next album had the votes most spread out.

Overall, the album with most spread votes was "Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers".

Has to be Beck! Right?

3 of the Top 6 of 1991 (Low end theory not counted )

No, I guess Loveless.

That would indeed by my second guess but I think the kind of music MBV makes is a little more.. accessible to everyone. Maybe I'm just talking from own experience though.

To quote Cartman waiting for the Wii: "Come oooooooooon!"

Sorry, had to put the baby to bed again.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (1991)

Score: 2077 points

Biggest fans:
Greg and rendler (#1), Mo (#2)

Comments:
I’m going to be honest, the first time I heard Loveless, I said to myself “that was just about the worst twelve bucks I’ve ever spent.” After many repeated listens since then, I’ve come to love the crafted distortion of it. From the punch-in-the-face opening of “Only Shallow” all the way to the dance-off of “Soon”, we’re treated to an emotional rollercoaster that treats the word “alternative” like a son. (Rendle)

Place in the 1991 poll: 2

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 7

Really? "Accessibility" was also the foundation of my guess. I think, I should not try to assess popularity.

Great, I can still catch the top 5. Who's next? My Bloody Valentine?

Damn it, wrong again.

Well, not bad done. Thatswhy I quote me dummy myself from 2 pm: "O, nevermind dummy, automatic computer delay". Nothing heroic, I could have looked after the AM Top 7

Beck - Odelay (1996)

Score: 2137 points

Biggest fans:
Schwah (#2), Jonah, Harold Wexler, John and SuperFurry (#3)

Comments:
Experimental, fun, crazy, [...], you know you can’t really describe Odelay, just listen to it. (Rendle)

The trademark Beck musical melting pot never got better than in “Odelay”, with apparently disparate styles fluidly intertwining. (Honorio)

Odelay does not hang together as an album as well as his later albums (particularly Mutations, Midnite Vultures, and especially Sea Change). His fertile musical imagination was running in too many directions at once for that. But as a collection of songs, it is nearly unparalleled. And I've said it before on these boards: the greatest lyric of all time is "Silver foxes looking for romance/In their chain smoke, Kansas, flashdance, ass pants." (Schwah)

Beck, here, is the apogee of his capacity of composing his killer experimental sing-along hits. I, particularly, love the tracks in which he flerts with rap. (Toni)

Place in the 1996 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 5

Neo, I just read Henrik's stats about who is who's best friend. Apparently I am your best friend, but you are not my best friend ... no hard feelings, right?

Hey, looks like I'm back just in time for the top 3, awesome.

And the slogan is:

"Nevermind, automatic computer"

Way back hours ago, I said I hoped AFTP would make the top 10, but secretly I was hoping it would do this well. I'm guessing it'll be #3, but that is fully deserved in my opinion.

Consensus is OK computer as favourite. But next?

Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

Score: 2319 points

Biggest fans:
Howlin' Andrew and Mike Kelly (#1), Rocky Raccoon and Chris (#2)

Comments:
As “the album that saved music”, it gets a lot of press, maybe too much for an album that’s essentially a collection of great songs, but I’ll be damned if those songs aren’t GREAT in capital letters. Mainstream Music has never sounded this raw ever since. (Rendle)

The soundtrack for the generation X, filled with ferocious guitars and angrily shouted lyrics but with an undeniable high amount of hooks. (Honorio)

Place in the 1991 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 1

I didn't vote Nevermind (#25) so high as the other two (#1 and #2), but still think Nevermind will be in top 2.

Max: Automatic in top 3 is great!

Hah, surprise. Now, go AFTP, go!

Yep, wrong again...

Hmm, totally wrong again. R.E.M. in top 2, wow!

Automatic For The People and OK Computer are both in my top 5 albums of all time, so I'm delirious no matter what happens in the next few minutes.

Almost the same for me, except I have Murmur in my top 5 instead of Automatic (somewhere between 10 and 15).

Nevermind only number 3. Sigh. Won't it be quite a surprise if n0. 1 is Automatic for the People? Quite a surprise, but it's not going to happen, is it?

I mentioned which album that had the highest vote spread. And by a large margin our #2 has the lowest spread. In fact no one of the 39 voters put it lower than place 37. That's quite remarkable. This should be compared to our #1, which has four votes lower than place 37.

I doubt it, but I've been wrong a few times today. And yeah, I love Murmur too, but the closing trio on AFTP is the best run on any album I reckon.

After this remarks of Henrik I know it.

So, Torsten, which album did you vote higher than 37?

R.E.M. - Automatic for the People (1992)

Score: 2565 points

Biggest fans:
DrDre (#2), Greg, rendler and Vgrd (#3)

Comments:
Welcome to the R.E.M. orchestra! (Rendle)

“Berlin” in the seventies, “Nebraska” in the eighties and “Automatic for the People” in the nineties. Just when they were at the height of its popularity, R.E.M. were bold enough to release an album filled with moody and somber songs, with delicate arrangements and deeply cryptic lyrics. And they succeeded again. (Honorio)

Their second best album behind Murmur. (DrDre)

Place in the 1992 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 4

Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)

Score: 3019 points

Biggest fans:
Collin, Jonah, Twister, DrDre, Dumbangel, Honorio, Harold Wexler, pop elton, John, Midaso, Mo, Chris and Mitchell Stirling (#1)

Comments:
What can I say? One of the greatest albums ever made. (Chris)

I’d be lying to if I said that OK Computer didn’t live up to the hype. Around this time last year is when I first discovered it. I really didn’t get it. It took me about three months to see it as more than ‘that overrated album with a few good songs on it’. Now, to me, it’s twelve (yes I’m even counting “Fitter, Happier” perfectly crafted songs about the future of technology and where humanity is headed. (Rendle)

The big step forward for both Radiohead and indie rock. Recorded in a Victorian mansion (formerly property of actress Jane Seymour) using the natural echoes of the different rooms, working with electronic textures, adding rhythmic and lyrical complexities and expanding notably their music palette, Radiohead created an astonishing masterpiece that deals with modern world alienation with an impressive deepness. (Honorio)

Best album of the last 2 decades. (DrDre)

The probable winner of this poll really deserve all its acclaims ! (LonesomePanda)

I don't have anyting to add to what has already been said about what will be the #1 album in this poll. The Bends had a few transcendent singles, but was (and is) entirely overrated as an album. This was an evolutionary leap. (Schwah)

Place in the 1997 poll: 1

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 2

And the winner is ... (Henrik, don't keep us waiting any longer)

Excellent. The greatest album ever made.

I feel a bit relieved, not having upset all you Radiohead fans. What a dominance.

I could also have said that no one voted the final #2 as number one, but then 13(!) of you would have known the answer!

Congratulations to all of you 13!

13 number 1 votes! That's incredible. Compared with none for AFTP.

Wow, did I count that right--13 number 1 votes for OK Computer? Impressive. And it wasn't even my top Radiohead album. I'm a weirdo. Not to say I'm a creep.

a little logic in the end

Well, being no. 2 of an entire decade is awesome. And AFTP deserves it. Not that I dislike OK Computer at all

"No Surprises" (and the rest of the album) on #1.

Common People and OK Computer make an excellent pair of winners for this 90's poll.

Automatic on #2 is a bit surprising, or should I say, Nevermind on #3 only.

For the rest, the top 10 looks fine, with Massive Attack and Jeff Buckley standing straight in the dominant field of indie rock.

I was by no means a musical expert back in 1997, but after hearing Creep and then the singles from the Bends I had a lingering feeling that the time and place were right for a band like Radiohead to make a masterpiece that was very suited to the world's anxieties of the time.

OK Computer really delivered. I suggest reading the 33 1/3 book on the album. 33 1/3 is a series of short books covering one album.

Thanks Henrik, so it's time to start digging up all the discs I haven't heard!

And time to prepare for voting in the 2007/08 poll. I'll make sure to contribute this time.

Yes, Henrik, once again many thanks for organizing, taking the effort of making this reporting and sacrificing most of the weekend to post the results (and read my silly slogan comments).

Excellent work!

Thanks a lot Henrik, it was a pleasure. I will hear the albums with some of the deep comments in mind. We really put a decent list together (considered that we are mostly white breads). Good evening.

thnks, merci beaucoup Henrik
It was a festival !

Super job Henrik, it was fascinating seeing it unravel today, and a joy to read through yesterday's list as well. Thanks a lot.

1 2 3