Re: The top 100 songs from the 1990s - the final results, page 1

Let Down?

You're all wrong!

The Verve - The Drugs Don't Work (1997)

Score: 1243 points

Biggest fans:
Twister (#4), Anthony (#10), Honorio (#14)

Comments:
I didn’t know that it was about his father’s death from cancer with no help from the drugs. Without knowing it it’s still an amazing song. (Honorio)

Place in the 1997 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 113

No, not the Verve?

Too bad, had that on #16

And now the second most acclaimed artist of the '90s show up for the first time.

R.E.M. - E-Bow the Letter (1996)

Score: 1245 points

Biggest fans:
Tim (#3), Mike Kelly (#6), MightyMadMax (#10)

Comments: None

Place in the 1996 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 375

PJ Harvey - Rid of Me (1993)

Score: 1256 points

Biggest fans:
otisredding (#3), tremolo (#4), Schwah (#7)

Comments:
“Lick my legs / I’m on fire”. Till the arrival during the nineties of PJ Harvey (and Liz Phair) we were not used to such a raw expression of female desires. (Honorio)

I was just voting out Metallica for Survivor, thinking about how undangerous they are. PJ, on the other hand, is actually dangerous. I mean she's going to tie me up and make me lick her injuries, for God's sake. That's a hell of a lot scarier than the freaking Sandman. I love how she takes and uses the male fear of true female sexuality and ratches up the stakes. And she's got the chops, the theatricality, and the balls... er, ovaries to follow through. (Schwah)

Place in the 1993 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 41

I love that comment from Schwah.

Me too

And now for the first entry from the most acclaimed band of the 90s.

Hmm, E-Bow deserves a higher spot. Like I wrote earlier, it's less known as the songs on Out of Time and Automatic. Michael Stipe and Patti Smith singing together give me the goose-bumps. PJ Harvey's latest album reminds me of Smith's 'demonic' singing here.

Nirvana - Heart-Shaped Box (1993)

Score: 1256 points

Biggest fans:
Mike Kelly (#5), John (#11), Twister (#13)

Comments:
Makes the rest of In Utero sound like “Bleach” in comparison. (Rendle)

Place in the 1993 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 30

No, it wasn't Radiohead.

Even though there only at 3rd place for the 90's, Radiohead is more in the spotlight. They just released a new and good album, so it's all fresh in the voter's heads

Björk - Hyperballad (1995)

Score: 1260 points

Biggest fans:
Schwah (#1), Nicolas (#6), Paul Manusama (#13)

Comments:
Drink (or smoke) a few, dim the lights, put on your headphones. Stop thinking… save that for after the last strings give way. I hope that you were as swept away as I was. (Schwah)

Place in the 1995 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: Bubbling under

So we have Björk out yet!

Massive Attack - Protection (1994)

Score: 1262 points

Biggest fans:
tremolo and pop elton (# , Vgrd and Nicolas (#9)

Place in the 1994 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 178

Would have expected a high vote for Protection from you, Henrik, as well. Wasn't Protection your all-time favorite album until recently?

I just listened to Protection. It's quite a long song, a bit too long for my taste. The album as a whole is maybe better than the sum of the individual songs.

I had Protection at #12. I love that song, perhaps my favourite from the album. But the competition here is really hard...

The album as a whole is maybe better than the sum of the individual songs.

Dre, that's exactly how I feel about the album.

Mmm. I'm listening to the songs too while Henrik post the results from 100 to 1. Nice morning...

The Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm (1993)

Score: 1263 points

Biggest fans:
pop elton (#3), Anthony (#6), Slush (#12)

Place in the 1993 poll: 7

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 284

Blur - Coffee and TV (1999)

Score: 1267 points

Biggest fans:
Collin, Chris and Rendle (#5)

Comments:
Blur’s best song. Very claustrophobic compared to say “Girls & Boys”. (Rendle)

Simple song with amazing guitars conducting it. It's the song which made me know Blur and was one of the first good rock songs I really liked! (Toni)

Place in the 1999 poll: 3

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 473

I'm gonna leave the building, and not be back for the top 50 countdown in a few hours. But keep discussing, make predictions, summaries of the first half, etc.

See ya!

Well, so far the only major disappointments are the expected "Ready Or Not" and "You Oughta Know" and the unexpected "You Get What You Give". For most of the other songs I agree they belong outside of the top 50.

I'm looking forward to tonight, I think it'll be done by the time I get home, but that's ok.

Thanks a lot, Henrik, for the first 50 songs!

Tried to postpone my house cleaning work, and was very successful so fat, but I guess there is no excuse anymore. My wife's coming back in about 4 hours, so the place should be tiny and clean by then.

Waow ! Great surprise Henrik made us !
I was at the hospital with my daughter to see my wife and son and coming back I saw this
Great
makes me wish I had made comments

Interesting reading so far, good stuff Henrik!

I found the list very difficult to order due to it not containing a lot of my favourites, under representation of some of my favourite artists as well as what I think are the 'wrong songs' "How Coffee and TV" has finished that much higher then "This Is A Low" staggers me. Not only that the hip-hop / rap on here I feel is a poor representation of the genre as far as what I like and I also had to vote for God awful rubbish like Red Hot Chill Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins!!

Still that's the fun in all these things though isn't it!

Nice list so far. My only real disappointment is Björk and Lauryn Hill leaving the building so soon. Instead I didn’t find surprising the low ratings of hip hop and only 1/6 songs by Blur in the Top 50.

Let me echo the people who have said they're bummed that hip-hop is doing so poorly here. Funny thing, I didn't remember putting "Doo Wop (That Thing)" as high as number 8, but I'm glad I did.

Come to think of it, I also didn't remember putting "E-Bow the Letter" nearly as high as number 6, which makes me think that I really did screw up my list somehow with the sorting function right before I sent the file--I'm not used to working with Excel, believe it or not--and I'm not at the computer where I saved my rankings, so I can't check my list. Oh well, so far I'm glad of the mistakes I made, because I wouldn't have wanted either of these two songs to come in any lower than they did!

I'm glad that my top 3 will be on the top 50 (I was gonna say that I'm glad that 8 of my top 10 were on the top 50 but 4 of them are part of the more obvious leaders.)
I'm also glad that Bjork and Primal Scream are out !
My disappointments are Intergalactic and Setting Sun, but I understand that not everybody like them as much as I do.

The list is going great so far. My only major dissapointment is that Higher Than The Sun is out of the game, but that's about it.

That looks a great list so far - only a couple of surprises,Born Slippy I'm surprised is so low and Supersonic but otherwise,it looks like most of the ones I expected are still to come

Maybe it's just the cold I have that is effecting my musical memory, but I can't think of what the 2nd song is in Henrik's ultimate top 2, the two songs that had a much larger amount of points that the others. I'd rather not look at old lists and be suprised!

This is fun, when it's formatted like this with the album covers, you get the feeling that we're contributing to some professional music critics site! Pitchfork, eat your heart out!

Henrik:"I'm gonna leave the building, and not be back for the top 50 countdown in a few hours. But keep discussing, make predictions, summaries of the first half, etc."

Not be back?

Predictions? Well I'll predict
3)Paranoid Android
2)Smells Like Teen Spirit
1)Common People
I may be completely wrong but just a guess

I wish I'd got my list together for this now, especially as my top 5 -Dry The Rain, Cannonball, Summer Babe and the two MBV tracks-are still alive.Thought at least 3 of them would have bitten the dust by this point.
By the way, great format, Henrik.

I'm back.

And Mike, I did mess up your list! Two of the song IDs had been changed in the file you sent me, but I should have been more careful! Now the score is wrong for a majority of the songs. Sorry, everyone!

However, I plan how to correct this.

The 8th place for Lauryn Hill was actually one of the few correct ones, but "E-Bow the Letter" should have been #53...

Now, let's move on!

Welcome back, Henrik. We've been missing you...
Bienvenidos a los amigos americanos también.

The Flaming Lips - Waitin' for a Superman (1999)

Score: 1222 points

Biggest fans:
Honorio (#4), Collin (#7), Jonah (#11)

Comments:
Bizarre, spacey, hallucinatory, eccentric are some of the adjectives usually used to describe The Flaming Lips. I could add lucid after reading this. Exploring new ideas “just using our ears to guide us, not music culture” they came with something as strangely commercial as “Waitin’ for a Superman”. In Wayne Coyne own words: “Reality is like that. The more you think about it the less real it seems”. (Honorio)

Place in the 1999 poll: 10

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: Not listed

Mmm, much higher that I've expected. Nice...

The score for "Waitin' for a Superman" is lower than for several songs above. That's because I now use the corrected score. Yes, after correcting Mike Kelly's list "Waitin' for a Superman" should actually be on a lower place than #50.

I need to go up to #46 before I present a correction table, and then we can continue with 45-1 as if nothing happened.

Pavement - Summer Babe (1991)

Score: 1243 points

Biggest fans:
Midaso (#3), Slush (#4), Rendle (#

Comments:
Very similar to MBV’s “Only Shallow” intro-wise, very shoegaz-y. Pavement have said that they were just messing around when they were making this at the time. Showing that messing around can lead to good things. (Rendle)

Much greater heights yet to be reached, and I'd even venture to say that this is below average for Malkmus. But given that this is the only entry for the greatest band of the 90's, I had to put it in the top-20. (Schwah)

Place in the 1991 poll: 6

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 49

Beck - Devil's Haircut (1996)

Score: 1258 points

Biggest fans:
tremolo and Harold Wexler (#10), Collin (#11)

Comments:
This was not an Odelay standout for me at first. I've grown into loving it, though. Lyrically, not close to his best. But a great rock and roll stomper. (Schwah)

Place in the 1996 poll: 9

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 120

The Smashing Pumpkins - Tonight, Tonight (1995)

Score: 1270 points

Biggest fans:
Anthony (#3), LonesomePanda (#7), Tim (#9)

Place in the 1995 poll: 8

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: Bubbling under

The Smashing Pumpkins - 1979 (1995)

Score: 1277 points

Biggest fans:
pop elton (#1), Jonah (# , Collin and Anthony (#14)

Place in the 1995 poll: 5

Acclaimed Music 1990s rank: 47

Well, my top 4 appeared before #48. Then again, I have some overwhelming love of Blur that few people will ever understand (myself included).

I'm having great fun following this, although I didn't vote. Terrific job, Henrik. A lot of 90's CD's will be jumping off the shelf wanting to be played during the next days.

The countdown continues here.

1 2