Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Top albums of the 2000s spreadsheet - update thread

Jonathon
I'm impressed that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is clinging onto the #4 spot so tightly. For a non-Radiohead, non-NME super hyped album, it's doing a-okay.

YHF is hardly the little album that could. It's been creamed over by Mojo, Uncut, Pitchfork, Rollng Stone, Q and god knows else for years. It's high ranking should really be no surprise.

Harold has updated with FACT and State.

so are you guys gonna add entertainment weekly's best albums of the decade??

RADIOHEADSMAN

As soon as we know whether it's just a top 10 list, or if the magazine named more. I presume it's eligible.

RADIOHEADSMAN
EW, The Word and the extended Paste list will be added when Harold has time to add them.

Entertainment Weekly, The Word and Rock's Back Pages have been added.

Thank you, great work again guys. Im now nitpicking, but shouldnt albums on RBP list sharing the same place take spot in the middle of the shared interval?
(i.e. all albums sharing position 101 - 135 get spot 118?) Just idea.

tomas
Thank you, great work again guys. Im now nitpicking, but shouldnt albums on RBP list sharing the same place take spot in the middle of the shared interval?
True.

Henrik
tomas
True.

Well, someone's going to have to give me those numbers, then. All the way down the line (e.g., there was a 3-way tie for 18th place, so should they all get 19?). I spent enough time plowing through that list yesterday and I don't feel like looking at it again. Just give me the new numbers and I'll replace them in the column. Thanks in advance!

Harold Wexler
Henrik
tomas
True.

Well, someone's going to have to give me those numbers, then. All the way down the line (e.g., there was a 3-way tie for 18th place, so should they all get 19?). I spent enough time plowing through that list yesterday and I don't feel like looking at it again. Just give me the new numbers and I'll replace them in the column. Thanks in advance!
As tomas said, this is nitpicking. I wasn't going to mention this in the first place. Harold, even if someone posts the numbers, it's your decision if you want to make the changes or not.

Henrik
As tomas said, this is nitpicking. I wasn't going to mention this in the first place. Harold, even if someone posts the numbers, it's your decision if you want to make the changes or not.

Actually, it's not really that big of a deal; I think I was just a little tired and cranky when I posted that earlier. I should be able to figure everything out myself and then simply do a select-and-replace within the RBP column. I probably won't send the revision for posting until I can add the ROLLING STONE list, though.

Harold Wexler
I should be able to figure everything out myself and then simply do a select-and-replace within the RBP column.

Here are my calculations of what the new "ranks" for the RBP list should be. Could someone verify this for accuracy before I make the changes?

3.5 for 3 (two albums)
10 for 9 (three)
13.5 for 13 (two)
16 for 15 (three)
19 for 18 (three)
22.5 for 21 (four)
28 for 25 (seven)
35 for 32 (seven)
44.5 for 39 (twelve)
54 for 51 (seven)
66.5 for 58 (eighteen)
88 for 76 (twenty-five)
117.5 for 101 (thirty-four)
155.5 for 135 (forty-two)

Thanks!

QC'd!

Spreadsheet updated with Rolling Stone and the RBP numbers. Thanks Harold!

Harold has also added Spinner.

Updated with NOW, Decibel, The Sunday Times and Sue, making the top 3 even closer! Thanks Harold!

Should these update thread be posted in the new critics' lists forum instead?

Is the VICE list being added, Harold?

Moonbeam

I think it's a little too jokey and ironic to be included as a legitimate top 10 - the attitude is more like, "Let's pick out the 10 most hipster-y albums showing up on these other lists and say snarky things about them." The tipoff is the discussion suggestion to mention how KID A was given away on the Internet for free!

Harold Wexler
Moonbeam

I think it's a little too jokey and ironic to be included as a legitimate top 10 - the attitude is more like, "Let's pick out the 10 most hipster-y albums showing up on these other lists and say snarky things about them." The tipoff is the discussion suggestion to mention how KID A was given away on the Internet for free!

Even though Henrik gave it the green light?

Moonbeam
Harold Wexler
Moonbeam

When I e-mailed him the update I told him my rationale for omitting it, and he didn't say anything, so I took that as agreement.

Harold Wexler
Moonbeam
Harold Wexler
Moonbeam

When I e-mailed him the update I told him my rationale for omitting it, and he didn't say anything, so I took that as agreement.

Gotcha.

http://www.theboombox.com/2009/12/02/best-albums-2000s/

RADIOHEADSMAN
http://www.theboombox.com/2009/12/02/best-albums-2000s/

Once again ... new lists are supposed to go in the new lists forum that just opened up ...

Updated with The Boombox and Glide.

Is the date on the home page just not being updated?

Rocky Raccoon
Oh, I gotta fix that. Not now though...

Henrik
Rocky Raccoon
Oh, I gotta fix that. Not now though...

Speaking of the home page, can you put a link to the all-time songs poll voting thread on there like you did for the albums poll?

Anyone notice how the top albums have really been stuck into their tiers ever since the first dozen or so lists?

Tier 1
Funeral
Is This It
Kid A

Tier 2
Blueprint to Illinois

Tier 3
In Rainbows to Arular

VanillaFire1000
Anyone notice how the top albums have really been stuck into their tiers ever since the first dozen or so lists?

Tier 1
Funeral
Is This It
Kid A

Tier 2
Blueprint to Illinois

Tier 3
In Rainbows to Arular

true, but IR is disadvantaged like no other album because all mighty Kid A takes votes in "one album per artist" lists. Without Kid A, it would be easily behind our frontrunners, this is something Im sure about.

I have to say I dont care that much about Kid A nowadays, it got its acclaim anyway, but IR on the other hand is getting better and better with every listen. So good - production wise, such a captivating power, its lightness in a good sense.

I noticed that the top 7 has always included:

Radiohead- Kid A
OutKast- Stankonia
The Strokes- Is This It
Jay-Z- The Blueprint
Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Arcade Fire- Funeral

and the seventh album has varied.

Even though Elephant is currently among those albums in the top 7, I sort those 6 as being the top tier.

Jonathon
I noticed that the top 7 has always included:

Radiohead- Kid A
OutKast- Stankonia
The Strokes- Is This It
Jay-Z- The Blueprint
Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Arcade Fire- Funeral

and the seventh album has varied.

Even though Elephant is currently among those albums in the top 7, I sort those 6 as being the top tier.

I would consider those albums one tier just because those top 3 are so far ahead in points that it would be impossible for any 4th album to break in there. It is like they have almost lapped their closest competition.

true. Honestly, I expected big drops for Is This It and Funeral, so I was surprised.