Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
AMF Top 200 Album poll : the results (50-21)

Salut !

This is our top 50 album poll.

To see the rest of the list (50-200):

200-124

123-101

100-51

Re: AMF Top 200 Album poll : the results (50-21)

One more thing before I start

I know the suspense is growing, and the temptation to make pronostics is coming.

But there's one thing I'm asking you : please don't post pronostics and lists of what you think are the remaining albums.

That would spoil the pleasure of those who don't want to know.

You know it would feel like when you're watching a movie and the guy or girl beside you says "I know who's the killer, it's Colonel Mustard" !

Even I don't know who will be #49. I really try not to look and to discover them one by one.

What's the name of Colonel Mustard's album?

Damn, I suppose I must not reveal that Souljaboy's Souljaboytellem.com cracked our top 10 then.

That said,

The Zombies – Odessey and Oracle- 1968

1958.36 points

AM 3000 rank : 317

Appeared on 31 ballots / 68

Fans: Jackson # 8, john # 14, Vgrd # 20, nj # 20, Marc # 20

Moderator:
Same year, same country, same cult status as the # 51, Odessey was the big surprise of the last poll, when this "British Pet Sounds" ended up at #33, just after a huge buzz on the forum due to his reissue. Now this album has settled to the middle of our top 100. But don't listen to it if one of your speakers or headphones is broken !

nicolas:
One of the biggest mysteries of rock history is why this album didn't get the success of Sgt Pepper or Pet Sounds. Every single track is a masterpiece of pop and melody. Maybe it's too perfect in a sense, and not personal enough ? I'm still wondering..

Jackson:
Odessey and Oracle is very close to the apex of pop music quality. What it does best is conveying optimism without a trace of cheesiness. Closely following conventional verse-chorus structure and featuring mainly the piano, this album countains the sunniest, cheeriest songs I've ever heard, even if there is a trace of serious undertones within the lyrics (who could know "Care of Cell 44" is about getting out of prison without looking up the lyrics?). The Zombies were second only to the Beach Boys at producing great harmonies (specifically in the chill-inducing last minute of "Hung Up on a Dream"), and the song quality here is ridiculously consistent. Odessey and Oracle marks the epitome of feel-good sixties music.

While the first half of Odessey is incredible, I feel that it trails off towards the end, much like Sgt. Peppers. Similarly, both end on a strong note; Peppers with A Day in the Life and Odessey with Time of the Season.

here

The Rolling Stones – Beggars Banquet- 1968

1981.21 points

AM 3000 rank : 30

Appeared on 30 ballots / 68

Fans: Stephan # 8, Rocky Racoon # 9, otisredding # 19, PierO # 20

Moderator:
The Rolling Stones close this British 1968 trilogy with their first great roots rock classic.

nicolas:
The best blues-rock album ever. Instead of aping it, they use it as an influence and play their own sound. And Jagger, Richards, Wyman & Company had understood that the blues was not an extension of jazz, i.e an opportunity to play lengthy instrumental solos like Cream did. It was popular songs before everything else, played with a dark and sexual feel, and for that, few could beat them.

I like Odessy and Oracle but this is an album that has become completely overrated with time. I also prefer by a wide margain Innervisions to Songs in the Key of Life

Yes, some great British albums indeed. I think I'm putting Banquet in Grampa's box -- O&O I played a few ays ago.

The Flaming Lips – The Soft Bulletin (1999)

1998.24 points

AM 3000 rank : 140

Appeared on 29 ballots / 68

Fans: nj # 1, Jacek # 6, Jonah # 7, Schaefer t. # 9, Midaso # 12

Moderator:
Great performance for this indie-pop classic, despite the fact that, as otisredding will confirm, they're moving down with every poll, maybe because the number of voters is increasing and it's getting hard for a favourite of a happy few to make it.

Wes:
....5 Flaming Lips albums in my top 100! This is easily the best, consistently great songs.

...or pehaps I should've waited a moment ...

Led Zeppelin – IV (1971)

2125.32 points

AM 3000 rank : 32

Appeared on 33 ballots / 68

Fans: Alex D # 4, Rocky Racoon # 10, Greg # 16, Henry # 19, pmickey # 21

Moderator:
This album is the first to get more than 2000 points, 127 points ahead of the one before ! The Led Zeppelin share is going down these days in the big stock exchange of critical acclaim. It does the same here, but still manages to crack the top 50. Hard Rock not dead !

Honorio:
The first masterpiece of heavy-metal and, for good or bad, probably the most influential album ever, creating a style that is here to stay. It could be tagged as pretentious or show-off, but everyone must admit that is exceptionally well played. And, although punk revolution turned the virtuoso playing more a fault than a virtue, being an outstanding music player is nothing to be ashamed of.

nicolas:
The sound is huge. Led Zep can blend like no one blues with Celtic, heroic fantasy with songs about the Mississippi floods, with this highly archetypal blond singer – dark guitarist association that would become a big cliché afterwards. But from the hard rockers to the muddy blues and the aerial ballads like "Going To California", it is still a very impressive listening experience… if you're ready for it. And rock 'n' roll is about excess, after all.

Nassim
nicolas, the fans are wrong in one of the 2 previous albums ! (Led Zepp IV I guess)

corrected

nicolas
Nassim
nicolas, the fans are wrong in one of the 2 previous albums ! (Led Zepp IV I guess)

corrected

I did wonder at Zep being that high on Jacek's list ...

and on nj's (aka netjade)

The Rolling Stones – Sticky Fingers (1971)

2175.64 points

AM 3000 rank : 42

Appeared on 34 ballots / 68

Fans: Honorio # 8, BillAdama # 13, Peter # 13, Brose # 19, Greg #19

Moderator:
And this one is the first to appear on half of the lists. Classic rock of 1971, part 2…

Honorio:
All the acclaim went to “Exile” but I prefer “Sticky”, an album with so many highlights that there’s no space enough to point them. It’s a dark album, not hiding sex ( “Bitch” ) or drug (“Sister Morphine” ) references. It’s a roots album, from blues (“You Gotta Move” ) to country (“Dead Flowers” ). It’s the peak of Richards as rhythm guitar-player, being electric riffs (“Brown Sugar” ) or acoustic flourishes (“Wild Horses” ). And also features terrific guitar work from Mick Taylor (“Can’t You Hear Me Knocking?” ) or Ry Cooder. Wow!

BillAdama:
The Stones had a three or four year period where they intuitively blended amazing rock riffs with cool southern bluesiness. They were exploring genres and hit upon something irresistible.

Whoops, yes ..

Honorio, I couldn't agree more. Definitely my fave Stones album.

Personally, I feel that "Moonlight Mile" is the true masterpiece on Sticky Fingers.

All of these are great albums - The Flaming Lips and The Zombies both fell just outside my top 20. The Zombies' album is a bit underrated by critics, but I understand why: to me, it doesn't seem to have that "it" quality that "Pet Sounds" has, even if it is still brilliant on its own. It just suffers in comparison.

On a different note: My number 1 seems to be on its way to a high ranking. It seems pretty beloved on this forum.

R.E.M. – Murmur (1983)

2189.17 points

AM 3000 rank : 62

Fans: Brad # 5, Jem # 11, octopus # 16, Peewee # 17, Chris K #18

Moderator:
Beating the two classic rock monsters that came before them in this list is something. The guys from Athens did it, thanks to a big consistency of points on a relatively small number of ballots.

Sorry but no comments for this one…

and that's all folks !

See you later or tomorrow (more likely)

enjoy the list !

Waiting for your comments ! and no spoilers please !!

Snusmumrik
What's the name of Colonel Mustard's album?

"Mean Mister Mustard", obviously.

Great to see some of the recent selections. Finally, some Stones albums!!

Peewee, oh, obviously you're right!!

Nicolas, comments for R.E.M.s first masterpiece? What can you do but mumble?

Thanks for an enjoyable day!

Yes, REM was then known as "the only band that mutters."

My only comment on Murmur is that it is the one album that truly changed my life. Like the Chronic Town EP before it, Murmur had (and still has) a very deep emotional impact on me that I can't fully articulate, but I suspect each of you has experienced in regards to some other piece of music (or other art) at least once.

As of yesterday, I finally have O+O on vinyl. I picked up Time of the Zombies at a record show for 10 bucks which consists of the early songs and unreleased album songs on the first record and the entire O+O on the second. I still would like an actual copy some day, but it is nice to have a vinyl copy of such a fantastic album.

Great list so far. Only 4 albums in my top 20 have appeared.

nicolas: i don't appear in the Led Zeppelin IV fan's list but it's my #6 position. I hope everithing is ok.
Cheers.

no, it's not ok

I gave your points to the first Led Zep album !

That changes the list but just a little bit

Led Zeppelin (I) moves down from 135 to 157

and Led Zep IV is for later

So we have

# 47 Sticky Fingers (instead of 46)

# 46 Murmur (instead of 45)

and I can't edit the 2 selections above

Corrections

The Rolling Stones – Sticky Fingers (1971)

2175.64 points

AM 3000 rank : 42

Appeared on 34 ballots / 68

Fans: Honorio # 8, BillAdama # 13, Peter # 13, Brose # 19, Greg #19

Moderator:

And this one is the first to appear on half of the lists. Classic rock of 1971, part 2…

Honorio:

All the acclaim went to “Exile” but I prefer “Sticky”, an album with so many highlights that there’s no space enough to point them. It’s a dark album, not hiding sex ( “Bitch” ) or drug (“Sister Morphine” ) references. It’s a roots album, from blues (“You Gotta Move” ) to country (“Dead Flowers” ). It’s the peak of Richards as rhythm guitar-player, being electric riffs (“Brown Sugar” ) or acoustic flourishes (“Wild Horses” ). And also features terrific guitar work from Mick Taylor (“Can’t You Hear Me Knocking?” ) or Ry Cooder. Wow!

BillAdama:

The Stones had a three or four year period where they intuitively blended amazing rock riffs with cool southern bluesiness. They were exploring genres and hit upon something irresistible

R.E.M. – Murmur (1983)

2189.17 points

AM 3000 rank : 62

Fans: Brad # 5, Jem # 11, octopus # 16, Peewee # 17, Chris K #18

Moderator:
Beating the two classic rock monsters that came before them in this list is something. The guys from Athens did it, thanks to a big consistency of points on a relatively small number of ballots.

Sorry but no comments for this one…

Nicolas, I know how irritating it is to discover an error in something you've published. But remember the (extremely true) saying, that only those who do nothing make no mistakes. You've made this a great show.

nicolas
no, it's not ok

I gave your points to the first Led Zep album !

That changes the list but just a little bit

Led Zeppelin (I) moves down from 135 to 157

and Led Zep IV is for later

So we have

# 47 Sticky Fingers (instead of 46)

# 46 Murmur (instead of 45)

Ups, sorry about that nicolas . Maybe it's because i've putted "Led Zeppelin [IV]" in the spreadshit instead of "Led Zeppelin IV".

I realized also that in the artist list in some cases i put "The Beatles" and other like "Beatles, The". I hope it's fine ( you have my permission to come to Uruguay and punch me if not ).
Cheers.

No, your Beatles albums are OK

If there were mistakes it was in the albums titles, not in the bands' names

Snusmumrik
Nicolas, I know how irritating it is to discover an error in something you've published. But remember the (extremely true) saying, that only those who do nothing make no mistakes. You've made this a great show.

Very true indeed.

but those Led Zep albums with no titles are confusing...

"spreadshit"

Nicolas, wasn't IV my #11?

O+O, Soft Bulletin, and Murmur were all in my top 100.

Time of the Season is one of my favorite songs of all time. That song to me in the flower-child 60s more than anything.

I'm so glad to be the highest voter for Odessey and Oracle, which, despite moving up 60 places after the update, is still one of the most underrated albums on the AM list. My favorite songs are "Hung Up on a Dream" and "This Will Be Our Year"--I hope at least one places in the songs poll.

I had always thought The Soft Bulletin was overrated, but after re-listening to it today, I realize why it has classic status. While the singing and lack of interesting vocal melodies still puts me off a little, few albums explore a range of interesting sounds or maintain a consistent atmosphere like The Soft Bulletin does.

I didn't vote for any of these in this range except for O+O, with Beggar's Banquet being the only one I haven't heard. I can't get into Murmur at all, despite living in R.E.M.'s hometown.

BillAdama
Nicolas, wasn't IV my #11?

Yes it was, sorry

My Bloody Valentine – Loveless (1991)

2226.13 points

AM 3000 rank : 75

Fans: Michael # 1, Steven # 1, Jackson # 1, Jem # 4, Midaso # 11, otisredding # 11

Moderator:
Wow ! 3 number 1 positions ! That’s what we call some people’s favorite. Great performance, but it appeared on “only” 29 ballots (probably because of its experimental and noisy sound) and that explains why this album is at # 45 despite these impressive top rankings.

Jackson:
How do I even begin to describe my favorite album? I'll start with the beginning: my first listen to "Only Shallow." Based on how highly rated I knew this album was, I was completely appalled by my first exposure to it. The words "pointless," "noisy," and "unlistenable" went through my mind, and I didn't give it another chance for a couple months. Then one day, I found myself reading reviews of the album and noting just how adamant people seemed about their love for Loveless. So I listened to it all the way through. I had a headache afterward, but something clicked and I was amazed. I listened to it again--still the only time I've ever had back-to-back listens of the same album. It quickly became one of my favorites, resulting in an almost embarrasingly laudatory review I wrote about the album for a school assignment (in which I called Loveless, among other things, "one of the greatest works of art to ever be called rock music," "a sonic joyride that induces an almost trance-like effect on the listener," and "perfect"). My appreciation of the album has only grown since then. This music truly takes me to another place, appealing to a certain emotion that no lyrics could convey. I don't think any type of music should be classified as 'perfect,' but really, this is as close to perfect as I think I'll ever find. For the forseeable future, this is my #1, and to be honest, nothing else is close.

Damn, thats impressive for Loveless. Thats one of many albums I own that I,ve never really given a proper listen to. I intend to make up for the neglect very soon.

Radiohead – The Bends (1995)

2242.83 points

AM 3000 rank : 85

Fans: schaefer t # 4, octopus # 12, Midaso # 15, Penguin # 15, Dr Robert # 17

Moderator:
With a strong connection with the album before (listen to a few Loveless tracks then play the first bars of “Planet Telex” and you’ll know what I’m talking about), this Radiohead album is ahead of its Am ranking as well, but manages to pass My Bloody Valentine by number of ballots and points consistency. No surprise given the good performance of Radiohead in all the games we play.

Jon Marck:
Goal A for The Bends was to have one solid hit. Radiohead were dangerously close to being pegged a one-hit wonder as they hadn't even won a solid fanbase in their home country. Fortunately the one group unaware of this goal was Radiohead. As much as their label/management were dying to turn them into a reliable chart-topper the band insisted on creating music on their own terms, leading to the art-rock nuances of "Planet Telex", "Sulk" and "My Iron Lung". MTV still got their hits with "Fake Plastic Trees", "High and Dry" and "Just" and the mopey Pablo Honey fans (who probably listened to too much Smiths anyways) got "Street Spirit", "Nice Dream" and "Bullet Proof". Part post-grunge guitar anthems, part weepy brit-pop, all highly conceptual, this was Radiohead's first work with lasting value.

Beans
Damn, thats impressive for Loveless. Thats one of many albums I own that I,ve never really given a proper listen to. I intend to make up for the neglect very soon.

You absolutely must. There's really nothing like it. To try out the classic album + album = album formula, picture Pet Sounds + Daydream Nation. Whirlwinds of fuzz and distortion create orchestral melody.

Sufjan Stevens – Illinoise (2005)

2295.31 points

AM 3000 rank : 115

Appeared on 35 ballots / 68

Fans: Michael # 5, Nassim #6, Jon Marck # 6, Jem # 13

Moderator:
Mr Stevens, this is as far as you go. And that’s not bad, not at all, for a “young” album that’s outside the AM top 100. Long time no see an album from the 00’s, btw..

Jon Marck:
Even in 2005, when offbeat alt-pop seemed poised to launch a full assault on mainstream music Stevens' prog-folk tribute to his neighbouring state seemed to come from left field. Come on, Feel the Illinoise! combined polyrhythmic Charlie Brown piano with trumpet lines straight from a high school stage band and vocal whispers (even when vocalized by a choir). Stevens then gave them paragraph-long names such as, “A Conjunction of Drones Simulating the Way in Which Sufjan Stevens Has an Existential Crisis in the Great Godfrey Maze”, which takes longer to say than to play. "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." and "Casimir Pulaski Day" highlight Stevens' sensitive side, "Jacksonville" is blissful eccentricism, and "Chicago" and "The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts" are rockin' glory. The manic tone wouldn't be the same without Stevens' characteristic humility. It kills me to have to wait for a follow-up.

Nassim:
I think that most of the time, in music, being too ambitious leads to pretentious and puffy albums. As always, there is an exception and I guess it is hard to be more ambitious than Sufjan Stevens in Illinoise (except with stupid ideas like making an album meant to be played on 4 audio systems at the same time). In this album, Sufjan Stevens does too much, and he is damn right, leading to stuning majestic assemblage of instruments likes in They Are Zombies or Chicago, perfectly balanced with sensitive songs like the tearjerking (I hope this word is not pejorative) Casimir Pulaski (as a matter of fact, one of my best friends cries every times he hears it) or the freezing John Wayne Gacy Jr. which almost makes us feel compassion with one of the most sordid killer ever. But my favourite track might be The Predatory Wasps in which he succeeds being at the same time extremely intimate and intensely overwhelming

BillAdama:
I love his ruminant folky plucking, as well as his totally unique approach to storytelling. The album could stand to be about 20 minutes shorter, but hey.

Jackson:
Illinois represents the type of orchestral indie rock I usually don't like, but the melodies and vocal harmonies are too excellent for me to deny. The song titles are the height of musical pretentiousness, but that's besides the point--this is one album that virtually needs to be enjoyed as a complete experience.

Jesus! Sufjan has done brilliantly. I was looking over the Radiohead blurb thinking 'someone mentioned in the previous thread how this was still to come, surely now Loveless and The Bends have just gone it can't be' and here it is.

That's surprised me. It's a great album, of course, but to beat out a lot of widely acclaimed classics is something that I wouldn't have guessed.

Loveless is not an easy album. I've heard it a couple times and I must say I had the same reaction as Jackson the first time : too noisy, too bleak, the barely audible vocals, etc..

Then last time it was a little better. The problem is now we can get records so easily that sometimes we don't take the time to really appreciate an album in multiple listening sessions.

"Rock Bottom", my #2 took me dozens of listens to become a real favorite.

About Illinoise : "John Wayne Gracy" is a candidate to the best song of the 2000 IMO. I 'm not a big fan of the rest of the record with those long song titles and this affected attitude. Too bad because this guy can write killer songs when he's not trying to make Art.

nicolas
Too bad because this guy can write killer songs when he's not trying to make Art.

All he does these days is make art.

All right, I'm calling it a day

See you tomorrow

nicolas, i made a comment on Loveless and i didn't rank sufjan at #5 (perhaps it's Michel?) also, Loveless has more points than The Bends, according to your posts.

I'm sorry to see Loveless so low but am so glad there are others on this forum who also have it as their number 1. <3

Ah, Illinois. I wish I had been on the fan list, it was my #23. Next time I will vote it even higher!

Beans
nicolas
Too bad because this guy can write killer songs when he's not trying to make Art.

All he does these days is make art.

Ironic that would be his downfall, isn't it? I think Sufjan is supremely talented, and enjoy his short folksy songs and his orchestrated masterworks in equal measures. And I agree about the chilling John Wayne Gacy Jr.

Surprised to see The Strokes ahead of Sufjan. They're a big climber from last poll.

I think I might be the only one with "The Bends" over "OK Computer".

As for Sufjan, I recently listened to "Michigan" and I actually feel that it is a better album than "Illinois," mostly because it doesn't feel as bloated and over-extended.

Henrik
Ah, Illinois. I wish I had been on the fan list, it was my #23. Next time I will vote it even higher!

#22 for me. I thought I might have been in with a shout there.

Michael

That's why I'm going to bed, I'm too tired to do it right

There is also a Michael P and he's the one who put Sufjan at #5

Loveless : 2226 pts

The bends : 2242

haha don't worry about it, i was just making sure. thanks!

Penguin
I think I might be the only one with "The Bends" over "OK Computer".

As for Sufjan, I recently listened to "Michigan" and I actually feel that it is a better album than "Illinois," mostly because it doesn't feel as bloated and over-extended.

I just listened to Michigan about an hour ago and I would say it is a much more consistent, low-key album compared to Illinois. Kind of like the differences in the states themselves. The Michigan album is like the modern Michigan itself - natural beauty, surrounded by human decay. The eerie sound of a bubbling brook outside of the closed factory. Illinois is a call to Chicago's greatest times - late 19th century/early 20th classical and jazz bombast, the age of the train, and American prohibition.

I contend that "Out Of Egypt, Into The Great Laugh Of Mankind, and I Shake the Dirt from My Sandals as I Run" is the best piece of 21st century classical music.

Jackson
I'm so glad to be the highest voter for Odessey and Oracle, which, despite moving up 60 places after the update, is still one of the most underrated albums on the AM list. My favorite songs are "Hung Up on a Dream" and "This Will Be Our Year"--I hope at least one places in the songs poll.

I had always thought The Soft Bulletin was overrated, but after re-listening to it today, I realize why it has classic status. While the singing and lack of interesting vocal melodies still puts me off a little, few albums explore a range of interesting sounds or maintain a consistent atmosphere like The Soft Bulletin does.

I didn't vote for any of these in this range except for O+O, with Beggar's Banquet being the only one I haven't heard. I can't get into Murmur at all, despite living in R.E.M.'s hometown.

I would have had it top 5, but I didn't vote. Dumbangel, who used to be a frequent poster, might have also had it top 5. He's a big fan too. Oh, and I'm in Asheville, NC, Jackson. You ever make it up for any shows? Not too long a drive. The Orange Peel was named a top 5 venue by Rolling Stone!

Henrik
"spreadshit"

Yes, in fact i came up on this "urban definition" in the web http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spreadshit .

I've to admit i still didn't get Loveless. I know i should give it another try.
Illinois (Illinoise) OTOH get's better every time i listen to it.

hahaha. i like spreadshit too but at first it made me picture splattered diarrhea

you're welcome

Loveless is an album that wowed me the first time I listened to it, and I loved it for about a year... but then I never really went back to it. It's an album that lends to a specific atmosphere.

Penguin,
I join you in liking the Bends better than OKC.

The Strokes – Is This It (2001)

2330.34 points

AM 3000 rank : 56

Fans: Steven # 8, Lagire #8, Brose # 9, Dr. Robert # 12

Moderator:
Law of series... Two albums from this decade in a row ! So the Strokes outrun Sufjan by 35 points with the same number of votes, whereas in the best of the 2000s spreadsheet Sufjan is only #6 and the Stokes #3 (# 4 and 5 are Stankonia and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot that in our poll ended up respectively at # 70 and... # 195)

Honorio:
A widely influential album that defined the sound of the 00s. A back to basics rock ‘n’ roll with the influences on the sleeve, basically the NYC scene from Velvet Underground to Television. But they were not a revival band, they invigorated the rock scene creating a fresh a vital sound with pop melodies sung with distorted vocals, sharp guitars and the ease and insolence of the twenty-something.

Moonbeam:
The album almost single-handedly rescued rock music from the doldrums of Matchbox 20 and Third Eye Blind, which in and of itself warrants massive praise. Short, to the point, and instantly gratifying.

Jackson:
I'm glad the backlash is gone. With perspective, Is This It is still the standout it was upon its release. No, it wasn't innovative, but it didn't need to be; every moment of this album is catchy and enjoyable. This is one of only two or three other albums released this decade that I can confidently say will still be regarded as classics 20 years from now.

Strange similarities between the Sticky Fingers and Is This It covers : black and white midsections...

Bob Dylan – Bringing It All Back Home (1965)

2363.42 points

AM 3000 rank : 70

Fans: Jon Marck # 1, David # 2, Stephan # 2, Paul # 4, BillAdama # 8

Moderator:
Some were waiting for the Stones, now here’s another Church Father of rock music : the Zim has only 30 voters on his side but look : one number one, two number twos. When you love that album, you love it. In 2008, with all of his veteran supporters (Stephan, Paul, Jon Marck) and less voters it did logically better : # 30.

Jon Marck:
Dylan satisfies both audiences by combining an electric first side with an acoustic second. Good thing he's great at both. "Subterranean Homesick Blues" and "Maggie's Farm" are barn-burning rockers while "Mr. Tambourine Man", "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" and "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" show he hasn't completely forgotten his old fanbase.

BillAdama:
Maggie's Farm is such a fun song to sing at work.

Jackson:
It is interesting that in an album typically lauded for its breakthrough use of electric guitars on side A, the completely acoustic side B is what delivers the goods. While "Subterranean Homesick Blues" is one of the best openers ever, the rest of the album's highlights are all near the end: "Mr. Tambourine Man," "It's All Right Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)," and "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue." It's really, really hard to write lyrics this good.

Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - 1998

2376.97 points

AM 3000 rank : 512

Appeared on 25 ballots / 68

Fans: Penguin # 1, Rune # 1, Harold Wexler # 3, SR # 4, Rune # 4, John #17, Jackson # 19, Dr. Robert # 19

Moderator:
When I discovered Acclaimedmusic.net a couple years back, I’d never heard of a band named Neutral Milk Hotel. They’re at # 512 in the AM 3000 and here, the fourtieth most acclaimed album of all time according to our little community. Only 25 voters, which at this stage is quite few, but twice number 1 and 5 top 5 nominations ! And it’s rising :64th in 2005, 42nd in 2008, partly due to a massive support by our newcomers.

Jackson:
I can understand why some don't 'get' this album: at first listen, it probably sounds like a guy with an annoying voice shouting over an acoustic guitar. However, I'm in the group that loves this album, and--like its other fans--it's because of the sheer emotional power in this work. The lyrics are undeniably bizzare, but they reflect genuine feelings and desires more effectively than more-conventionally written songs. Also, the album flow is second-to-none, beginning with the two-part "King of Carrot Flowers" and moving seamlessly in between songs. The album's two best songs (the title track and "Holland, 1945") seal the deal for me--this deserves to be mentioned amongst the all-time greats.

Moderator:
... and so it is, Jackson ! Ahead of a Dylan album, one of its obvious influences !

Is it still possible to block those damned smilies ?

The Evolution in AM Forums

2009-2008-2005

41 - 30 - 119 - Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
42 - 54 - 93 - The Strokes - Is This It
43 - 44 - xxx - Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
44 - 43 - 38 - Radiohead - The Bends
45 - 40 - 23 - My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
46 - 48 - 49 - R.E.M. - Murmur
47 - 56 - 35 - The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
48 - 32 - 26 - The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin
49 - 41 - 141 - The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet
50 - 33 - 105 - The Zombies - Odessey & Oracle

To use financial vocabulary :

Bearish (going down) : The Bends, Loveless, The Soft Bulletin

Bull (moving up) : Is This It, Murmur (very slowly though)

David Bowie – Low (1977)

2412.81 points

AM 3000 rank : 85

Fans: Vgrd # 1, Mitchell Stirling #2, Wes # 7, Midaso # 10, schaefer .t # 22

Moderator:
Contrary to the critics, you place Low quite high, above Hunky Dory.

Moonbeam:
Music as art- Low is Bowie's greatest artistic achievement, even if some of his other albums are more palatable. The care with which this album is crafted is second to none, and the results speak for themselves, even when there are no words.

Jackson:
Few albums flow like the first half of Low. It has that distinct sound that's hard to describe unless you've heard it, which of course is what you'll usually get when Brian Eno works on your album. Then the completely different, ambient side two comes along and punctuates the flow entirely, something most major artists wouldn't dare to do. But David Bowie isn't most artists, and the dual-side nature of the album doesn't detract from Low, but instead has contributed to its classic status.

Moderator:
Now albums don’t have sides anymore, but sometimes they just pretend (Speakerboxxx/Love Below)

Led Zeppelin – IV (1971)

2422.34 points

AM 3000 rank : 32

Fans: Alex D # 4, Chevi # 6, Rocky Racoon # 10, BilAdama # 11, Greg # 16, Henry # 19

Moderator:
On the other side of the seventies, Led Zeppelin finally shows at # 38 after two corrections. Usually I forget to give points to albums I don’t care for, here it’s not the case. .

Honorio:
The first masterpiece of heavy-metal and, for good or bad, probably the most influential album ever, creating a style that is here to stay. It could be tagged as pretentious or show-off, but everyone must admit that is exceptionally well played. And, although punk revolution turned the virtuoso playing more a fault than a virtue, being an outstanding music player is nothing to be ashamed of.

Nicolas:
The sound is huge. Led Zep can blend like no one blues with Celtic, heroic fantasy with songs about the Mississippi floods, with this highly archetypal blond singer – dark guitarist association that would become a big cliché afterwards. But from the hard rockers to the muddy blues and the aerial ballads like "Going To California", it is still a very impressive listening experience… if you're ready for it. And rock 'n' roll is about excess, after all.

BillAdama:
One of those albums where a great band finds their creative peak all at once.

Talking Heads– Remain In Light (1980)

2439.19 points

AM 3000 rank : 37

Fans: Bruno # 2, Michel # 3, Mindrocker # 8, Chevi # 9, Jem # 15, otisredding # 16, Greg # 20

Moderator:
Critics and AMers totally agree about that album ! And in 2008, it was # 36 ! Another Eno production.

Rocky Raccoon:
By incorporating African rhythms into their idiosyncratic pop style, Talking Heads created a testament to groove and quirkiness.

Jackson:
This one cements Brian Eno's status as a truly legendary producer. When you can combine world music-influenced drums with a diverse array of keyboard and guitar soundscapes and still produce one of the most melodic albums ever, you know you're on your A game. The vocal harmonies on tracks like "Born Under Punches" and "The Great Curve" rival even the Beach Boys, and "Once in a Lifetime" pairs a unique lyric with one of the catchiest pop choruses imaginable.

Honorio:
At last the time of vindication of Talking Heads has come! their sound was almost entirely new, almost pure innovation. The angular pop of previous albums is here perfected (“Once in a Lifetime” ) but adding elements of cold funk (“Born Under Punches” ) and attempts at world music (“Houses in Motion” ). Never dance music was (and will be) so cerebral.

Moderator:
Yes, indeed, Doctor Barranco ! Imagine Vampire Weekend or Animal Collective without Talking Heads !

nicolas
Is it still possible to block those damned smilies ?
It seems as if that tick-box is not available anymore. The only option is to disallow smileys completely.

Odessey and Oracle : my #108 was #30 on my previous list, seems like it has lost some of its interest with repetitive repeats. Still, a wonderful album, very delicate and welcoming.

Loveless : guess I'll give it one more chance

The Bends (#56) : on the previous poll I had put it tied with OK Computer, back then I felt that they were as good. OK computer has climbed on my list while this one has slightly decreased because of some weak tracks. Anyway, the best songs are more than amazing.

Illinoise (#6) : my highest ranked album of the top 50 (I really doubt the 2 which have not appear can be ranked higher) and my second favourite album of the top 100, any of the songs in this album is a wonder! (see my comment above)

Is this it : Sure, I like this album, but top 50 really ? (and I'm probably the only one to have First Impressions of Earth on his list)

NMH (#42) : probably the album of my top 50 for which I could find the more flaws... but almost all of them are part of the charms of the album. There is a strange balance on this album, like a strange game of Jenga, and I'm pretty sure luck and chaos are as responsible of our love toward it than pure talent or work

Low : I listened to this one for the 70s poll and I must confess I really, really, really don't get the acclaim... found it pretty boring. I'll give it another try.

Led Zeppelin IV (#88): I enjoy the first album a bit more, cause I find it a bit more direct and less pompous, but I really love this one too, especially When the Levee Breaks (and that song about stairs too)

I'm starting to learn to enjoy Dylan a bit but it is still not my cup of tea (maybe because I don't get English lyrics) and I still enjoy the Stones more like a song band, but there's no doubt all those albums deserve their place here !

U2– The Joshua Tree (1986)

2446.22 points

AM 3000 rank : 38

Fans: Marc # 1, Chris # 4, Jon Marck # 10, Penguin # 10, Rocky Racoon # 11, Chevi # 12, pmickey # 12, Stephan # 13, peter # 14, Henry # 15, Dr. Robert # 16

Moderator:
A second U2 album in the top 50 ! I have a feeling it will raise some eyebrows and bring smiles on some faces (not the same of course).

Jon Marck:
This was the moment when U2 decided they weren't going to be a new wave punk group anymore. By shifting their gaze to the west they discovered a land of gospel, blues and wide-open space. U2's vision of America was one of courage and noble idealism. Put that way it doesn't sound half bad! Bono is doing his best Elvis here, bringing a showman quality to ballads "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Running to Stand Still". Those songs emphasize the theme of spiritual longing that permeates the whole album, also coming across strongly in the political desire of "One Tree Hill" and "Mothers of the Disappeared" and wide-open freedom of "In God's Country" and "Red Hill Mining Town". This newfound fascination with America came to obvious conclusions on the troubled Rattle and Hum compilation. To the contrary, on Joshua Tree it’s the subtleties that give it peace.

Rocky Raccoon:
Bono’s passionate, searching-for-the heavens vocals are perfectly matched by the Edge’s unique, shimmering guitar and the pulsing rhythm section of Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen Jr. It was a sound made to fill arenas, and it did.

Good heavens. Nicolas, you're going full throttle again? Some of us have jobs to do, and it's really hard not to switch over to AM every five minutes, when you know something is happening, and you don't know what it is ... ("dadada-DAH-da")

Just kidding. Great show. Will catch up.

Van Morrison – Astral Weeks - 1968

2459.89 points

AM 3000 rank : 15

Fans: antonius # 1, ramone666 #1, Jonathon # 6, EdAmes # 7, Jem # 9, Michael # 10, Michael P # 11, Tim O # 14, Peter # 18, Miguel # 20

Moderator:
After the Eno series, the Irish streak ? Probably the most questionned top 20 album at AM 3000, this critics protégé appears on less than 30 ballots but made a tremendous start (I remember it satyed in the top 20 for at least a week) but then slowed up a bit. Part of the close society of multiple-number 1 albums here.

Nicolas
A difficult but beautiful work, and the most audacious Morrison achievement, full of poetry and featuring a wonderful choice of instruments. Like “What’s Going On” it sounds like one long aerial song. And the first notes of Spanish guitar in “Beside You” still set shivers down my spine 20 years after the first time I heard them.

I took a day off today and tomorrow is one of these countless French holidays..

So I decided to do as much as I can today, because tomorrow my wife and kids will be around and i won't have as much time...

And like you I'm excited and want to make things move a bit

This morning was very quiet, all the Americans asleep and the Europeans at work or at school

And snusmumrik don't tell me you don't like to take these AMF breaks !

nicolas

Neutral Milk Hotel – In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - 1998

2376.97 points

AM 3000 rank : 512

Appeared on 25 ballots / 68

Fans: Penguin # 1, Rune # 1, Harold Wexler # 3, SR # 4, Rune # 4, John #17, Jackson # 19, Dr. Robert # 19

Hmmm, and again it's time to think how many Runes we have among the AMers.

Wow we are almost in top 30. I've lots of comments to read. Thanks for the comments Jon Marck, Jackson, Honorio, Nicolas, Moonbeam and rest who wrote them.

sorry

only one is enough (we love u Rune, what would we be without your Eurovision obsession)

Read : Rune # 1, Beans # 4

Sorry Beans (ready for next saturday ?)

I'm pleasantly surprised about Neutral Milk Hotel, a great album I'm still discovering. Holland, 1945 is one of the best things I've heard all year.

I disagree with the point that Is This It might stand as only a small number of true classics from the decade. Because we've got a few weeks left til the end of the decade, everyone's going into overdrive about lists and trying to evaluate the worth of music, but it often takes a lot of time before it's right to stand back and pick out what had merit and worth and what was caught up in a whirlwind of hype. I for one think The Strokes are a band that do jump the gun on that process and hit with such force eight years ago that their legendary status - if only for the debut (I think they've had some fantastic singles since and as a whole Room On Fire is pretty strong) - was cemented. A record like Illinois, while evidently cherished by the boards here, might take a while in the public eye to expand; similarly NMH are underrated in AM terms but on the boards here it's seen as better than Sticky Fingers or Horses! With regards to Illinois though, I think it'll be looked back on as fondly as Odelay.

Some of us Americans are still awake, although I'm going to bed soon.

Van Morrison is one of those artists for me where I do like his most acclaimed album, but I have a considerably stronger liking for one of his lesser acclaimed works ("Moondance"). The Flaming Lips is another that comes to mind in this category ("Yoshimi" over "The Soft Bulletin").

The Rolling Stones – Let it Bleed - 1969

2461.28 points

AM 3000 rank : 36

Appeared on 36 ballots / 68

Fans: Brose # 1, Paul # 11, antonius # 12, Peter # 22, Harold Wexler # 22

Moderator:
Just like Astral Weeks, Let it Bleed had a great start, with almost every list featuring it and then a very difficult period in the end. So far if I’m not wrong the Stones' second celebration of the Old south’s musical heritage is the most nominated album (36 ballots).

Brose
Let it Bleed improves slightly on Beggars encapsulation of American music. Even when bringing their roots to the forefront they are able to maintain their ferocity. One of the few albums that pulls off country rock as well as blues and rock.

Listening to it, i realize I should have given much more points to Let It Bleed (my # 194)

Except for Brose's vote, "Let It Bleed" seems to be an album that most people like a lot but only a few people put in the very top of their lists. It would be interesting to see the poll trend for this album, as I remember that it didn't do well in a previous poll (2005?). Maybe it helped "Let It Bleed" that we had top 200 ballots this time.

Henrik
Except for Brose's vote, "Let It Bleed" seems to be an album that most people like a lot but only a few people put in the very top of their lists. It would be interesting to see the poll trend for this album, as I remember that it didn't do well in a previous poll (2005?). Maybe it helped "Let It Bleed" that we had top 200 ballots this time.

Absolutely

2005 : absent

2008 : # 50

In 2009, out of its 36 voters, only 6 people put it in the second half of their list (including one # 101)

So it appeared in many top 100s, that's why it's so high

Illinois -- Sufjan is a marvel, but the problem with this album is it has too much filler and is too repetitive. It raises the question for me, can an album be great if half of it is brilliant, and that half is longer than the entirety of other great albums? For example, 40 minutes of great Illinois vs. the entirety of A Hard Day's Night (one of my favourite Beatles albums). Is Illinois as good an album, because it has just as much good music as AHDN, or dose it lose points because of its filler?

I voted for Seven Swans from Sufjan, because it is consistently brilliant and has no filler. As a result, it has more emotional power for me -- it doesn't lose its spell over me the way Illinois does. I'm very happy to see Illinois here, but I have always had these reservations about it. And I don't think we'll see Seven Swans in the top 40...

Astral Weeks -- Nicolas, why do you call it "difficult"? It's one of the loveliest albums ever recorded, and I can't imagine a sentient human being failing to be charmed by it. Maybe it is the length and meandering quality of the songs that make it difficult.

Joshua Tree -- this is one of those great albums that I am so sick of I cannot even bring myself to listen to it anymore. For those of us old enough to have lived through its initial release, this was THE album of its year, we all played it a gazillion times, and the radio hits where everywhere all the time. As a result, I just never want to hear anything from it again, and I couldn't bring myself to vote for it even though it IS a great album. Not very fair or objective of me, I know, but there you go.

I call "Astral Week" difficult because of its unusual instrumentation, the Morrison vocals that can be annoying to some ears, and the repetitive and lenghty songs. Maybe "unusual" would be a better word.

nicolas
Henrik

Absolutely

2005 : absent

2008 : # 50

In 2009, out of its 36 voters, only 6 people put it in the second half of their list (including one # 101)

So it appeared in many top 100s, that's why it's so high
So I was right about the trend but not the reason behind it.

The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses - 1989

2475.01 points

AM 3000 rank : 52

Fans: Bruno # 3, Tim E # 4, Toni # 6, Peewee # 7, Jacek # 8, Midaso # 8, Dr. Robert # 11, Chris # 15, Lagire # 16, Mitchell Stirling # 17, Penguin # 18, BillAdama # 20

Moderator:
This perfect transitional album between the ‘80s and ‘90s, between the Smiths and the britpop era, does very well with a “few” nominations at this stage(30) including 12 top 20 appearances (pardon my French english)

BillAdama:
A month or so ago I finally understood why this was showing up at #1 on lists of best British albums.

Jackson:
There's a reason the Stone Roses were never able to properly follow this up. They had perfected their sound with this debut album, featuring an unbeatable combination of pop melodies, funky guitar sounds, and danceable beats. It hasn't aged as well as many of its contemporaries, but still remains essential listening. I can only imagine what a sensation this might have been if I had grown up in late-80s Britain.

I have to completely agree with Nicholas' comments about The Stone Roses. It's the perfect combination of The Smiths and the Brit-pop that would later follow it. Some of the tracks are a little too soft for my liking though; my favorite moments on the album are when they're jamming on I Am the Ressurection.

Also I'm so happy to see In the Aeroplane do so well. Between Bowie and Dylan, two classics, is exactly where that album belongs.

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (1959)

2519.38 points

AM 3000 rank : 35

Appeared on 27 ballots / 68

Fans: VanillaFire1000 # 2, Schaefer #3, Jonah # 3, Vgrd # 5, Paul # 6, David # 8, Michel #8, Jem # 14, Beans # 16

Moderator:
In a rock-oriented forum, the presence of a jazz album so high –and even higher than its AM position - is refreshing. Defended by a few people but with a great point average, it didn’t do as well as in 2008 when it broke the top 20.

VanillaFire1000 :
Jazz is this album.

Honorio:
I know that’s unfair that this album is the only representation of jazz in my list, but I’ve never liked the flourishes and pyrotechnics that dead-weights the genre. But this album is a whole other thing. It’s about mood, about atmosphere. The songs, almost completely improvised at the very moment, benefits of a terrific line-up including Bill Evans and John Coltrane besides the one and only Miles Davis.

Jon Marck:
Miles Davis had an almost effortless control over his trumpet, and it seemed like the simpler the songs grew, the more he thrived. On this seminal jazz album he uses "So What", "Freddie Freeloader" and "Flamenco Sketches" as launchpads for tasteful flourishes. This is also the first major modal jazz album. Don't worry. It still sounds great.

Peewee
Illinois -- Sufjan is a marvel, but the problem with this album is it has too much filler and is too repetitive. It raises the question for me, can an album be great if half of it is brilliant, and that half is longer than the entirety of other great albums? For example, 40 minutes of great Illinois vs. the entirety of A Hard Day's Night (one of my favourite Beatles albums). Is Illinois as good an album, because it has just as much good music as AHDN, or dose it lose points because of its filler?

Illinois is overly long, but I think in a strange way that almost adds to its charm. It's something I find difficult to articulate properly but despite being scattershot and a tad pretentious, you bear with him because it's so varied and beautiful. As a condensed work it would feel far more like, y'know, a normal album of alt-folk hits rather than the sprawling dissection of an entire state that it currently stands, and would inherently lose some magic, to my mind at least.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Electric Ladyland - 1968

2534.61 points

AM 3000 rank : 21

Fans: BillAdama # 3, SR #3, Chevi # 8, Peter # 8, Vgrd # 8, Michael P #17, Alex D # 18, Steven # 19

Moderator:
There’s more and more love for the Voodoo Chile. After a disappoiniting # 85 in 2005 and a better # 35 in 2008, Electric Ladyland is on its way to catch up with its AM position. Next time ?

Rocky Raccoon:
Delving deeper into the blues while continuing his experimentalism and extraordinary guitar play, Hendrix’s last album with the Experience is perhaps the best display of his remarkable talents because it contains something of everything.

Nicolas:
A trip. No record captured the athmosphere of the late 60's better than this one. It is also the outmost of electric guitar, of course. Favorite songs : All Along the Watchtower and 1983. Like I prefer "Songs In The Key Of Life" to "Innervisions" or the White album to Revolver, my love for double albums make it my favorite JH record. I love it when artists feel free to deliver all their creativity instead of focusing on a “perfect work”.

Honorio :
The highest achievement in Hendrix’s short career. While he was discovering the studio trickery and expanding his limits he made the perfect druggy album. And with his usual mastery on electric guitar, showcased on the four-part solo on “All Along the Watchtower”: 1º bluesy with string bending 2º with slide and echo 3º with his landmark wah wah 4º with crazy funky rhythm.

Jon Marck:
Hendrix's most ambitious album broke new ground for psychedelia. By now some parts sound as dated as its contemporaries (Jefferson Airplane anyone?) but "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)"'s wild wah modulations cannot be denied. Not every moment works but that's part of the beauty. After all, what’s diamond good for, besides comparing it to things that aren’t diamonds? "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" was one such tucked-away gem, as was the now famous "All Along the Watchtower". Dylan prefers Hendrix's version so much even HE covers it.

The Evolution in AM Forums

2009-2008-2005

31 - 35 - 85 - The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
32 - 19 - 36 - Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
33 - 46 - 10 - The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
34 - 50 - xxx - The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
35 - 38 - 50 - Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
36 - 55 - 84 - U2 - The Joshua Tree
37 - 36 - 41 - Talking Heads - Remain in Light
38 - 34 - 71 - Led Zeppelin - IV
39 - 52 - 21 - David Bowie - Low
40 - 42 - 64 - Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

Stone Roses at #33 -- I am totally surprised that this is not higher. I would have bet money on it being in the top 20.

Prince and the Revolution – Purple Rain (1984)

2558.91 points

AM 3000 rank : 49

Appeared on 32 ballots / 68

Fans: schwah #4, sonofsamian #7, Henrik # 8, Toni # 9, otisredding # 12, Rocky Racoon # 18, Romain # 20

Moderator:
In the Amers poll, Purple Rain gets higher than Sign O’ the Times , Prince’s number 1 album according to the critics. It does so without appearing in only one top 5, but in maintaining a lot of first-half positions. Only 3 voters out of 32 placed it in their 100-200 section.

Moonbeam:
Each of the nine songs contained within would become unmitigated anthems, the shadow of which Prince could never quite escape. With Purple Rain, Prince garnered his legendary status through both his music and the film itself- an unprecedented feat. Full review at http://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Moonbeam/rating713232

Honorio :
Prince made a master stroke with this one. He reached a higher audience using elements of rock (distorted guitars, slow building songs as “Purple Rain” ) and synth-pop (synthesizers, “Computer Blue” ). But never forgot his black audience, using funk (“Baby I’m a Star” ) or soul ballads (“The Beautiful Ones” ). And even mixing all four styles in a song, the superb “When Doves Cry”.

Jon Marck:
Though the Purple One oozes talent from every pore he brought in his backing band, The Revolution, to help record "Purple Rain", and the result is funk-rock at its least contained. Though all five singles were worthy hits the album doesn’t find its footing until “Darling Nikki”, a song so raunchy Tipper Gore foolishly forced future albums to carry parental warning stickers.

Moderator:
Yes, Jon Marck, Tippy Gore did that after sheheard her daughter listening to “Darling Nikki” in her room (with a magazine ?)

nicolas -

Purple Rain was one of my big jumpers this time out, moving up to be my #4 album of all time. So it was in my top-5. You didn't list me as a fan. Did you get my vote in there?

By the way, although I was opposed to it at the time, now that I'm a parent I have no problem with the parental advisory stickers. It has done nothing to cause self-censorship and is a fairly minor measure. Wal-Mart's refusal to carry those albums is another matter entirely, and Tipper went fairly overboard with her demonization. But the sticker is actually a a relatively simple and measured response.

schwah

Sorry I forgot you, but your vote was counted !

As for the parental advisory, I'm parent but we don't have that in Europe and to speak honestly i don't think I'd love it. It is not in our culture I guess and of course i don't want to judge anybody.

There are more dangerous things IMO than records and books. The Internet and TV are some of those things.

The other day my 2year old boy was waving a stick around and shouting "kill, kill" (in French of course). He must have seen something on.....

Back to music...

Television – Marquee Moon (1977)

2635.25 points

AM 3000 rank : 25

Appeared on 36 ballots / 68

Fans: Ramone666 # 4, Midaso #4, Harold Wexler #9, Brose # 10, Jonathon # 13, Chris # 14, Rune # 14, otisredding # 15, schwah # 18

Moderator:
Present on 36 ballots (equalling Let It Bleed’s record), the Television album could have caught up with its AM ranking if only it had had more top 5 votes.

Jackson:
For some reason, this is known as a punk album. To me, it's just straight up guitar rock at its most artful. The gorgeous guitar tones on Marquee Moon have yet to be matched, and the complexity of the dual-guitar arrangements put it in a far different class from virtually all other so-called 'punk' bands, many of whom could barely play their instruments.

Jon Marck:
Tom Verlaine was the one who convinced CBGB owner Hilly Crystal to let punk rockers play on Sunday nights. That alone gave Television punk cred. This album, with its emphasis on texture and musicianship might not have meant much to other first wave punkers, both in the US and UK, but its influence was hugely felt in the post-punk world. It's hard to imagine the Clash, U2 or R.E.M. without “Marquee Moon”. The sinewy title track should be the first stop for all newcomers, followed by "Guiding Light", "Friction" and "See No Evil". If you're not hooked by then there's no helping you.

As viewers of this poll can see, I'm quite a big fan of Electric Ladyland. I would have liked two Hendrix albums in the T30, but I'm glad it's picking up steam. Though I know others would disagree with me, I don't think it has a single weak track on either disc, and it ends with two of the best songs of the 60s. And of course, it has the best guitar playing of any album ever.

I can't wait to see where Are You Experienced ends up!

Edit: Purple Rain and Marquee Moon are awesome too.

1 2