Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fitting the speedometer in to a 1954 BSA M21

Ah, OK, I wasn't thinking that modern, sorry!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

Re: Choosing the right speedo

rick
Hi Lex,heres a little download from Jaeger,shows a few speedos but no date
unfortunately.may give a little help.
http://www.hells-confetti.com/Technical%20data/Jaeger%20Instruments/British%20Jaeger%20Dashboard%20Instruments.pdf
cheers Rick

Rick, interesting, but probably from 1933ish, so before our interest, but appreciate you sending the link!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Rik
Looking at period images of Norton 16Hs, it would seem that the cable change on production models came somewhere between C7353 and C10217 which would suggest a mid-1941 date

Thanks Rik, will investigate B4's more closely too.

Have had Royal Enfield info from Jan too, and Matchless info I have from Simon.

But that only gives numbers, so I'd like to give every type of speedo their appropriate number, so it will be very easy to see in the parts list, what contract had which speedo.

Back to the drawing board,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

The Norton speedo and bracket with very low miles that Jan got from France is dated 11/39 on an ali plate and both parts are finished in KG No.3 (It is of course a non-illuminated, non-trip). Definitely a Norton bracket (and correct Jaeger cable, I know that as it's on mine now ).

Unfortunately, I can't see if I've got a record of the type spec. from the rear plate.

Magdyno plates changed from ali to brass around 1940 - 41 based on what I've seen.

I imagine from the construction that the Smiths type cable was cheaper to make (although the threaded connection would have been dearer). It looks as if BSA changed over at the same time as they introduced the 'pancake' style drive instead of the brake plate mounted type.

Hi,
In my quest to try get an original Speedo for my 1944 WM20, I recently found this.

Anyone know what year and what bike it was for? It seems to have some military paint on it (brown/rust).

IMG-3054

IMG-3062

IMG-3063

email (option): brandon.stovold74@gmail.com

I think those with a yellow line at 30 are usually the Jaeger spigot drive type?? Which is not correct for your bike. At some point the pointed bezel was changed to the round type also. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron, the fitting is this one.

Its possible someone fitted this dial to a different speedo..

IMG-3064

email (option): brandon.stovold74@gmail.com

I had the same question on FB recently, this a very rare in-between model, with a plexiglass glass.

It's 1941ish, not much info about them at all. I have one myself.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

Hi Lex, that’s right it does have plexi-glass. I thought someone fitted this as aftermarket.

Regards
Brandon

It's a rare clock. Worth putting on the shelf and admiring. It would be a shame to do a service-exchange with it.

Nieuwe pagina 1