Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Choosing the right speedo

Hi all, I'm hoping to find a speedo for my M21 - maybe at the upcoming VMCC jumble and I'm not sure about the required spec.

The speedo drive is from the top of the gearbox which has a horizontal clutch lever.

Is that enough to determine the correct ratio and are there any other tips for identifying a suitable gauge?

Many thanks,
Bernie

email (option): bernie.a.jones@gmail.com

Re: Choosing the right speedo

Bernie,

I'm just doing an extensive study of the subject, but all chronometrics have the same basic ratio, it's the drive that makes the difference.

What you need to know is what type of speedo face will be right for you, I don't know what year of M21 you're talking about??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Lex,
Thaks for your reply, it's a '49 engine in a '52 B31 frame.

Cheers,
Bernie

email (option): bernie.a.jones@gmail.com

OK, here we go, I have only collected info on military speedo's, but think civvy stuff would be about the same, exept for a chrome sharp bezel.

For now I will skip the prewar and early war stuff, as that is still being researched.

So during 1941ish till 1944/45 we had this type of speedo, round bezel only, first picture has wrong bezel on it, but has only "S433/L" on the face:

This one is the successor to the one above, and has "S433/M or S433B/EX or S434B" on the face:

Then possibly 1945 to 1949 we had this logo on the speedoface, both round and sharp bezel has been encountered:

Then we get to the 1949/50 to?? era, with the new style Smiths logo:

This is just the start of an attempt to categorise Smiths Chronometric speedos, so any additional info and pictures are very welcome!! especially the prewar, and early war types, I will come back with more info on those.

Cheers,

Lex Schmidt

Hi Lex,

There was this Smiths speedo on eBay recently:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321070811102?nma=true&si=40RMVOm7JflHedCulAQ5N96XVeg%3D&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2557&orig_cvip=true

Item: 321070811102

Is it a civilian speedo or an early military one? Going by the mid 1940 (I believe?) date, would there have still been production of civilian units at that time?

Thanks,
François

shouldnt the speedo you are looking for have a trip counter and pilot bulb

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hello Francois,

Here the speedo in question:

This one was used on a WD bike, as it has a matt chrome bezel, and with a sharp ridge, it has the "Jaeger" type drive, and needs the thicker special cable.

Sofar, we have discovered that only Matchless G3WO's had one contract with a trip setting, rest was without trip as above.

Upto 1940 alu tags were used on the bottom, after that brass, to preserve aluminium.

This type of speedo was in use till 1942, at least I have a picture of one dated 1942.

But they can also be encountered with the "normal" cable, as early as 1940, as seen on BSA black and white pictures, these speedos also have the orange 30mph stripe.

There is more, but still investigating, but it's a potential minefield!!

Anyone knows how to use the "dating circle" on the back??

Cheers,

Lex

roger
shouldnt the speedo you are looking for have a trip counter and pilot bulb

I do not know if he has a civvy bike or not??? if civvy, then probably yes, the parts list for his model would probably help out here.

Cheers,

Lex

Hi Lex,

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
François

Hi lex,i just looked in the parts list for the M20 / M21 1949-1958 there are 11 speedos listed as for M20
19-2108 80 mph cowl fitting up to 1954
19-2118 140 kph '' ''
19-2111 120 mph ''
19-2117 180 kph ''
19-2122 180 kph '' up to 1955

as for M21
19-2103 80 mph '' up to 1954
19-2117 140 kph '' up to 1954
19-2109 120 mph '' up to 1955
19-2121 180 kph '' up to 1955
as for B33
repeat of last two items
so from this it seems a bit of a minefield unless only the face is differently marked
hope this helps someone
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Thanks Rick,

I know the cowl fitted speedo's have an extra ridge on the bezel, so they don't pop through, but for the rest......

Now if you can get me the number conversion chart from BSA to Smiths, then it would be easier.

Anyone out there that has a Smiths Motor Accesories catalog????

Need a lot more input to make this work guys!!

Cheers,

Lex

Lex i've been going boss eyed looking through the BSA 1939 parts list which covers all models including my KC10. It's an awkward book to follow and although it shows all the different drives/cables/brackets, I can't find mention of a speedo instrument. Here is my speedo(Jaeger)and I have no reason to doubt that it's the original. It also has trip and illumination. The wiring diagram in the WO stamped instruction book shows provision for illumination. I expect it's exactly the same speedo as fitted to civy models...minus bright chrome. Ron

photo AllC10003-2_zps0afeef9c.jpg

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

lex using the line at 12 oclock going right each segment equates to a month so 1 january 2 febuary 3 march and so on so say the second segment has a pop mark in it this will mean it was produced in febuary sometime the year is stamped in the middle say 41 or 42

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Ron, thanks for the info!! everything helps.

Roger, I had thought along the same lines, but first, probably in 1940, there was the small dating circle, then possibly in 1941, the big one was stamped on the back, so where did they start, 1940, or 1941??

See here a sketch:

Does that seem right to you? someone must have some info on this???

Cheers,

Lex

Ron Pier
Lex i've been going boss eyed looking through the BSA 1939 parts list which covers all models including my KC10. It's an awkward book to follow and although it shows all the different drives/cables/brackets, I can't find mention of a speedo instrument. Ron

Welcome to the pre-war nightmare Ron. Stop looking,
there are no speedo heads listed, or illustrated in early BSA parts books, one was apparently expected to contact the makers.

39 and earlier Jeager speedo head should have clamp-on cable set-up, conventional threaded head introduced 1940.
Civi speedo heads have ally data plates, wartime were brass.
Don't know when WD started insisting on tamper-proof rivet for rim.

I think all appropriate heads have same internal mechanism, pre-war BSA offered a range of pinions to cater for different front tyre sizes.
Yet post war with the drive in the gearbox, apparently no alternatives were offered.

Curiously the pre-war Rotherham oil button was given a BSA part number, but no idea what corresponding Rotherham model, or part number was.
All good fun

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Yes I did give up Neale, on the assumption that it was an optional extra in 39.
My C10 does have the clamp on Jaeger type cable. Here is the same thing on my Big 4 in case anyone hasn't seen one. Ron

photo Big4016_zpsffb49e32.jpg

Hi Lex,heres a little download from Jaeger,shows a few speedos but no date
unfortunately.may give a little help.
http://www.hells-confetti.com/Technical%20data/Jaeger%20Instruments/British%20Jaeger%20Dashboard%20Instruments.pdf
cheers Rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Nice bit of info on those Jaegers. Thanks Rick. Here are some of the speedos I am working on. Bottom is actually a clock with 24hrs capabilities for a car, right one has rivet and plastic glass replacement. Comes from a late 44 photo IMG_0336_zps9b84a5f4.jpg

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

"39 and earlier Jeager speedo head should have clamp-on cable set-up, conventional threaded head introduced 1940.
Civi speedo heads have ally data plates, wartime were brass.
Don't know when WD started insisting on tamper-proof rivet for rim,

Neale"

Neale, I basicly agree with you on this, only there is proof, that the "Jaeger" type was used on WD bikes up to 1942, maybe just to use up old stocks??

Then the data plates underneath, my understanding was, that upto 1940 ally was used, and after that brass, to preserve precious ally for planes, so not a civvy versus WD thing.

Re. the tamper proof rivet, think that came about in 41, but not sure.

Maybe we're getting somewhere with this!

Cheers,

Lex

Where do i buy a Jaeger type speedo cable? Need one for a '37 AJS.

Looking at period images of Norton 16Hs, it would seem that the cable change on production models came somewhere between C7353 and C10217 which would suggest a mid-1941 date

Re change from Jaeger clamp, to Smiths threaded head and cable:
The Smiths parts must have been available August-September 1939.
BSA list them for 1940 models, photos exist of 1940 BSAs with Smith thread heads (even in BSA 1940 catalogue).
Due to order size BSA possibly had more clout than Norton etc.

Re Jaeger still issued up to 42:
I imagine stocks still held by both Smiths/Jaeger and various motorcycle manufacturers.

Re data plate:
I agree change to brass was to conserve ally. Suppliers probably prohibited from selling ally sheet to Smiths.
But bear in mind that up until at least mid 1940 BSA were still supplying civilian machines to eligible non-military organisations and also exporting civi machines to OS dealers.
So civi versus WD is still valid, either way, blame the war.
Existing stocks of ally plates may have been used up, or may have been re-cycled into spitfires, only quantities of original data plates, or factory records will prove.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Douglas I get mine from 'JJ Cables' Speak to Tom at cableman7@hotmail.co.uk mention my name. I find it's important to give him the exact measurement that you want. You can't loose that extra inch "OOOW ERRR MISSUS". I normally use a tailors tape and measure from the start of the thread on the drive to the start of the thread (or stub on a Jaeger). As long as you tell him where you have measured too/from he'll know what to do. Also ask for the extra rubber sheathing. Tom can be a shirty bugger so don't bombard him with emails. It might be better if you discuss it with me first. Ron

PS. See my separate post on the subject.

rick
Hi Lex,heres a little download from Jaeger,shows a few speedos but no date
unfortunately.may give a little help.
http://www.hells-confetti.com/Technical%20data/Jaeger%20Instruments/British%20Jaeger%20Dashboard%20Instruments.pdf
cheers Rick

Rick, interesting, but probably from 1933ish, so before our interest, but appreciate you sending the link!

Cheers,

Lex

Neale Gentner
Re change from Jaeger clamp, to Smiths threaded head and cable:
The Smiths parts must have been available August-September 1939.
BSA list them for 1940 models, photos exist of 1940 BSAs with Smith thread heads (even in BSA 1940 catalogue).
Due to order size BSA possibly had more clout than Norton etc.

Re Jaeger still issued up to 42:
I imagine stocks still held by both Smiths/Jaeger and various motorcycle manufacturers.

Re data plate:
I agree change to brass was to conserve ally. Suppliers probably prohibited from selling ally sheet to Smiths.
But bear in mind that up until at least mid 1940 BSA were still supplying civilian machines to eligible non-military organisations and also exporting civi machines to OS dealers.
So civi versus WD is still valid, either way, blame the war.
Existing stocks of ally plates may have been used up, or may have been re-cycled into spitfires, only quantities of original data plates, or factory records will prove.

Neale,

Yes, we have 1940 BSA pictures that show the Smiths threaded type, so no probs there.

Have one pre-war Norton B4 speedo, and that also has a ally plate, so I think pre-war WD bikes were also with ally plates.

Don't count on factory records or parts, read somewhere, tons and tons of old stock were officially dumped in the skip from the wharehouses for Tax reasons!!! (in the 70's I think)

Thanks,

Lex

Rik
Looking at period images of Norton 16Hs, it would seem that the cable change on production models came somewhere between C7353 and C10217 which would suggest a mid-1941 date

Thanks Rik, will investigate B4's more closely too.

Have had Royal Enfield info from Jan too, and Matchless info I have from Simon.

But that only gives numbers, so I'd like to give every type of speedo their appropriate number, so it will be very easy to see in the parts list, what contract had which speedo.

Back to the drawing board,

Lex

The Norton speedo and bracket with very low miles that Jan got from France is dated 11/39 on an ali plate and both parts are finished in KG No.3 (It is of course a non-illuminated, non-trip). Definitely a Norton bracket (and correct Jaeger cable, I know that as it's on mine now ).

Unfortunately, I can't see if I've got a record of the type spec. from the rear plate.

Magdyno plates changed from ali to brass around 1940 - 41 based on what I've seen.

I imagine from the construction that the Smiths type cable was cheaper to make (although the threaded connection would have been dearer). It looks as if BSA changed over at the same time as they introduced the 'pancake' style drive instead of the brake plate mounted type.

Re: Fitting the speedometer in to a 1954 BSA M21

What is the correct way to fit the speedometer and rubber grommet into the headlamp nacelle I am struggling ?

email (option): davidtravis51@btinternet.com

Are you serious?? what bike and year are you talking about?

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbi**.net

The speedometer on my civilian 1950 M21 is 80 MPH. It is marked 433/I/L

I have the 1949 to 1955 BSA (M20, M21, M33) parts manual which has a number of mistakes for early post war bikes. It shows a 1950 M21 having a headlight nacelle which would have a flange on the speedometer rim. The nacelle did not appear until 1954 so I don't trust the part BSA numbers for the speedometer.

Ah, OK, I wasn't thinking that modern, sorry!

Cheers,

Lex

Hi,
In my quest to try get an original Speedo for my 1944 WM20, I recently found this.

Anyone know what year and what bike it was for? It seems to have some military paint on it (brown/rust).

IMG-3054

IMG-3062

IMG-3063

email (option): brandon.stovold74@gmail.com

I think those with a yellow line at 30 are usually the Jaeger spigot drive type?? Which is not correct for your bike. At some point the pointed bezel was changed to the round type also. Ron

Hi Ron, the fitting is this one.

Its possible someone fitted this dial to a different speedo..

IMG-3064

email (option): brandon.stovold74@gmail.com

I had the same question on FB recently, this a very rare in-between model, with a plexiglass glass.

It's 1941ish, not much info about them at all. I have one myself.

Cheers,

Lex

Hi Lex, that’s right it does have plexi-glass. I thought someone fitted this as aftermarket.

Regards
Brandon

It's a rare clock. Worth putting on the shelf and admiring. It would be a shame to do a service-exchange with it.

Nieuwe pagina 1