Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: My WM20 1943 Build

My pictures have links to one of my websites Ron, I thought this was the safe way to do it as I've lost many on other website using their picture posting system.

Mark

email (option): pes.sales@btconnect.com

The simple and nice thing about that tool I have is, I set it in my head and marked the plunger at TDC and 7/16" BTDC. It can now be used on any M20/21 as you just adjust the height with the outer hollow bolt:+1: Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Really interesting and involving thread. However I belong to the bodge it and hope persuasion. Rick Partington had rebuilt the motor before I bought the bike and he'd opted for a low cost rebuild [motor aside]. The bloke I bought it from sold it as it wasn't any faster than his 16H.
It had the wrong engine sprocket and I knew the timing was off. He'd set it as per M21. Unfortunately the early type M21. It felt a touch flat and was so I reset it with a bit of wire and it's spot on now. I know a lot of you are perfectionists but one doesn't need to be to run one of these.
I've just had the speedo rebuilt and indicated top speed went from 64 to 81:[best tuning mod I've ever had] before it died again. Hopefully it will all get sorted....

I decided as this bike is well overdue a test ride, I'd ask Anita to hand paint the number plate.
I'm more than happy with it as a first attempt, I can't type what she said when I asked to do the fuel tank!
If I get a chance I'll wire up a brake light for a test ride tomorrow evening.

Mark

Have some sympathy for the country boys with slower internet speeds...I have to scroll away for a measurable amount of time to get to the last comment...Time for a new thread!....Ian:yum: ...

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian, have you noticed a slider at the right side of your screen? Hold your curser on the slider and move it down the screen.

I'll actually put this in a new thread! Ron

Mark how did you get the ball rolling with Dvla? I have an original reg that the bike had but long before they went digital and I've no proof of it other than the pressed plates, is it possible to apply for the war time reg or is that not an option?

Tod, without an old buff log book, you have little hope of retention of the number unless the original LVLA records survive...but government instructed them to be destroyed in the late 1970s

Do you know which county council issued your original number ? One or two ignored instructions.

Hi Rik

Yes it's 864 BGY so BG being Croydon, London I have emailed a few contacts that point towards the old records in that area but had no responses

Sorry i meant GY

Tod, I was born in Croydon, as the hospital in Purley was full. Three quarters of a century later, I'm still ashamed of it !

Regrettably, the old LCC / GLC were amongst the keenest to pulp records and none survive. You'll have to go the age-related route.

No WD motorcycle had a County Council registration number after September 1939 though, so there is no "correct" way. If you're comfortably off then you could buy a pre-war Middlesex "cherished" number and use that...or fit your plate with magnets and take it off if you think no)one is looking.

Hello Tod,
I took a torturous route with mine.
First I got it MOT'd on the frame number.
I spent too long messing around and combined with a long wait from the BSAOC getting a dating certificate the MOT lapsed.
So I don't know if that helped.
With my DVLA application I sent all the BSAOC info.
After some time I get a date for an inspection to see the bike running!
The inspection consisted of more photographs by a chap admitting to know nothing about bikes.
More weeks pass and I get a registration document for a BSA 500 !!!
Insurance, it's now a 1943 500cc Blue Star!

It does make you wonder.

Mark

I know some people do it anyway, but there is no need for an MOT on an historic vehicle, whether for registration or not. Nor does the vehicle need to be running......Been there many times. Ron:relaxed:

This is my issue ron currently my bike isnt at the running stage, i wanted to apply to dvla but this states i need a proof of age which they will accept from bsaoc, i didnt know what the turn around time is for this but if its a while i can get the ball rolling now as i just joined bsaoc for this. Would be nice to ride it by the end of summer

Yes Tod as long as the bike looks fairly complete will do. They never ask to see it running. The inspector (if he's called for) is only there to check the numbers and take some pictures..... The dating letter from the BSAOC or VMCC or MVT is valid for one year. Ron

Nieuwe pagina 1