Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ernie Lindsell on his B.S.A

Richard, my motorcycle is not an "artifact". It is the thing I use to get to work and back every day. I take the greatest delight in the beauty of it's simplistic elegance and the fact that after 75 years, I can still use it for it's intended purpose.

It was dispatched in very early 1941 so while being made, the makers were under fire during Britain's darkest hour. Someone's granny donated her pots and pans to provide metal for the castings. It's value lies in the very molecules that make up the machine, not the paint on the outside.

I do not think it matters what colors I paint it and I don't understand why anybody would think they had a right to choose for me. I'll paint it flesh pink if I wish and dedicate it to a burlesque dancer - it will still be what it is. Maybe I should have kept it just as I found it? Image below

photo IMG_0092_zpsdntmjyv7.jpg

email (option): cas.vanderwoude@gmail.com

And a very nice bike it is I'm sure Cas,and as I've said before its your bike and your can do with it what you like. But I still maintain my stance that there is a distinction between a bike, painting,furniture or any other "artifact" that has a place in history and one that portrays an applied (thrust?) history . Fine it at portrayal is clear and can not be "confused" with time, but we only have to look at the auction houses to see some of the optimistic provenance's on their offerings to see this effect, certain blue sports cars spring to mind.
Any way none of it really matters as we are just a bunch of old blokes riding around on older (mostly) bikes. I also don't like fancy dress parties but I am a fan of Tom Keating.
Richard

I disagree with you too Richard, I can see absolutely nothing bad about a tribute bike, I've put my M20 in various markings over the years, and whichever one it was in at the time it was a tribute to someone, and all the wartime veterans I've met have been happy with this.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11(a)yahoo.co.uk

Hi Henk, can I send you these to add to the Ernie Lindsell post? Wilma

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Re: Hi Henk, can I send you these to add to the Ernie Lindsell post? Wilma

I must say I very much agree with the comments posted by Cas...

The majority of the WD bikes out there wouldn't be on the road if they hadn't been rebuilt, either by the people that used them as cheap transport post war when no one bothered one jot about their 'history' or in latter years when enthusiasts for the machines rescued many from an inglorious end in a hedge or the local breakers...

At each stage a bit more history was added and a bit more of the original history removed and the bikes are none the worse for that in my opinion..That IS history in action...

I rebuilt one of my bikes (a basket case returned from Egypt) with the markings of the unit a family member was in at the time of his death on D Day...I consider that a great way to remember someone who died for our benefit aged just 21 years old...There is a bit of history that is worth preserving...

Of course if I adhered strictly to the preservation of its actual 'history' it would still be a basket case in the back of my workshop...

I think the mistake being made here is to ignore the fact that in the case of a vast number of machines there is no meaningful military history to preserve...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Hi Henk, can I send you these to add to the Ernie Lindsell post? Wilma

Hi, you did a superb job with the photographs I sent, thank you! Can anyone tell me what any of the writing means in this line of detail? Kind regards Geoff Gammon.

email (option): wilma.gammon@sky.com

Maybe of interest?

Hi, I came across this and thought it would be good to put on the site, kind regards Geoff Gammon. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2702871/Treasure-trove-classic-cars-bottom-sea-The-British-Merchant-Navy-ship-carrying-military-vehicles-sunk-Red-Sea-Second-World-War.html
Just copy and paste to view.

email (option): wilma.gammon@sky.com

Nieuwe pagina 1