Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Front mudguard marking ID please

It all looks quite good but I don't have any photographic evidence to confirm. Certainly old oil-based paint and all applied in the correct way.

I have quite a number of photographs of Canadian Nortons around 1942/43 showing the census number on the front mudguard. I suspect that it may have been because they were so keen on putting the maple leaf on the fuel tanks.

photo B 1942 C4600095 C.11082 2 ATR RCA_zpspclxiodt.jpg

However, Canada didn't officially take any BSAs but photos exist showing that they sometimes acquired them.

If it were mine, I might take a look at the war diary for the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders of Canada to see if they refer to BSAs.

Michiel W
Hi Ron, I don't exactly understand what you mean with the word 'till'.

Michiel

Sorry Michiel! It's just an English slang version of 'Untill'

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I expect the canadians might have wanted something with more than a pretension to cross country ability. Otherwise they could have bought Harleys.

The Canadians had hundreds, probably thousands of Harley's (Model WLC) They were prepared to a different spec to the US WLA's. different mudguards and interchangeable wheels, British style rear lamps, and a handlebar clutch lever....To mention just some of the differences. Ron

Here's one but unfortunately the rider seems to have lost his uniform Seems like a nice boy though

photo 05-naptar-Motoros copy_zpsicuozi5b.jpg

Must be Dutch, look at the registration plate...

Yes Hans. My mate Tim bought the bike from Michel Clements and the pictures are from a Dutch calendar. Ron

I'd swop my pillar drill for one of those Ron "defo"

email (option): petethejeep@hotmail.co.uk

Brings a whole new meaning to cross country

Nieuwe pagina 1