Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Message for Noam and NigP - SV Temperatures

Do you think alloy heads run hotter or cooler than iron heads?

Regards

Pat

ps I am going to buy one of those kits. Do you cut the spark plug washer off?

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

I doubt that there is any difference in the quantity of heat energy being created with either head configuration, iron or aluminium (assuming compression ratio and ignition timing are the same), but I think it's safe to say that the properties of the aluminium head allow it to shed combustion heat faster than the iron variant, no doubt why the factory installed them on the M21 sidecar "slogger".

The thermocouple ring is copper, so I did remove the spark plug crush washer to install; sealing has not been an issue.

A spark plug of a given heat range is designed to transfer enough heat away from the plug's tip to prevent it from becoming an incandescent "glow plug" during hard running, but at the same time keep it hot enough to prevent the plug from fouling,

By design, combustion heat is to be transferred through the body of the plug into the head to be dissipated. (One of the reasons a plug is to be properly torqued during installation) The wrong plug in an OHV engine can lead to major engine failures due to combustion chamber hot spotting and "holing a piston". Our SV engines are much more forgiving in that regard.

Just casting about here, but it makes me wonder if the plug body in the head is not one of the hottest points on the engine, right along with the exhaust valve.... (?)

Also, if you check for head temp operating ranges set for reciprocal aircraft engines, 450F is commonly considered a safe max head temp. If you consider that aircraft engine operating parameters are extremely conservative, there could be considerable latitude for safely pushing the limits on a motorcycle engine.

email (option): teladeluji@msn.com

Combustion temperature with a compression ratio of 5-1 could be (momentarily) expected to reach 3500 degrees...

Under normal conditions the exhaust valve needs to be able to run in a 'red' condition and to maintain its integrity at those temperatures...I would imagine the plug is pretty warm as well...

Anyone who has run an engine with the timing retarded and/or a weak mixture will have probably noticed the glowing exhaust pipe...

Below are the accepted colour 'indicators' and their respective temperatures for mild/stainless steels...

It's a good job all the surplus heat is radiated/transferred away from the combustion chamber...The aluminium piston will melt at approx. 650 degrees...Ian

::C ----- ::F ---- Color

400 -- 752 -- Red heat, visible in the dark
474 -- 885 -- Red heat, visible in the twilight
525 -- 975 -- Red heat, visible in the daylight
581 -- 1077 - Red heat, visible in the sunlight
700 -- 1292 - Dark red
800 -- 1472 - Dull cherry-red
900 -- 1652 - Cherry-red
1000 - 1832 - Bright cherry-red
1100 - 2012 - Orange-red

C= Centigrade
F= Farenheit

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Visions of crumbling aluminium cylinder heads....

photo IMG_3016_zpszb9noax0.jpg

photo IMG_3017_zpst9qdfw90.jpg

photo IMG_3018_zpsbabtnsnc.jpg

photo IMG_3013_zpsli67prat.jpg

email (option): teladelujo@msn.com

Nieuwe pagina 1