Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: preserving original painting and repairing a "bullethole"

I totally agree with Ian on this subject. When a bike is fully restored it can look a bit too new, but soon ages with use and is preserved for another 70 years. You also know it's going to be reliable as you've gone over everything and replaced bearings etc. When has "patina" gone too far...? When the bike's just rust..!!

But if you are determined to keep it with it's current "patina", you can wax the bike. I have friends in the VW scene that have a rusty van and waxed it all. It darkens it and looks quite good (if you like that sort of thing).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dorkomatic/galleries/72157625695130067/

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Yes..The story is it's been badly neglected.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Get the guys who did the antiqued professional paint on this:

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/LV0116-228016/0/1911-Merkel-Board-Track-Racer/

email (option): msawicki@mailer.fsu.edu

I've been through this decision-making process with my 16H which had clearly not turned a wheel since it suffered fragmentation and accident damage in May 1940 (it had 1940 BEF markings and the unworn 1939-dated tyres were damaged in line with the projectile damage).

Unfortunately, although it had been dry stored and had almost no rust, it had been roughly overpainted with what may once have been a bituminous paint that was impossible to remove without damaging the areas beneath. It had presumably been disguised from the authorities by the finder at the time he removed the original engine and gearbox.

I took the view that my intention was to present the machine as it would have looked when in service during 1940. This meant going back to bare metal. I carefully matched the colour (that I wasn't 100% successful with finish doesn't detract from the intention)and measured and traced the markings.

The only area where I left 'patina' was on the dull chrome fittings as these were generally in very good condition and it is the devil's own job to replicate - plus re-chromed items rarely look 'new' again - there can only once be machining marks on dimensioned items.

I have sympathy with those who preserve items that have been well cared for. I like to see worn rubbers and polished knee areas on fuel tanks etc. but this is in no way comparable with celebrating the consequences of seventy-years of neglect and bodging.

For me, it was a choice between paying tribute to the men of the BEF (and the Norton factory) each time that I ride, or pretending to be some 1970s greebo trying to run an old bike on ten bob a week.

I would post some photos but Photobucket is playing up.

framenumber is 48400 which is correct for contract number S4554-16, but the engine is not original for this particular bike. Engine number is BH31206, which I cannot link to a specific contract number. The book of Orchard & Madden leaves a gap between engine numbers BH27501-BH30750 and BH32001-BH34250.
I know a saw a lot of NOS Ariel engines in the 80's at a motorcycle garage when I was visiting a friend in Cambridge....probably the engine was "married" to the frame after the war...impossible to retrieve that part of history..

email (option): maartenengels@hotmail.com

For those who are interested....after 3-4 weeks the bike is almost finished..

More pictures can be seen on my Pinterest board.. https://nl.pinterest.com/136mk7raaw3ihxa/ariel-wng-350-rebuild/

Looking great !

Nice to have a bike with some interesting history !

Keep the photos comming 👍🏻

email (option): towersmark84@yahoo.co.uk

Your Ariel is looking very nice.
What color have you used for it?
I am looking for a source of S.C.C.2 paint, or the color code for it in RAL (nobody here in denmark does BS colors)
Cheers
Niels

Here is something Niels! I've found a site that compares colours throughout the world.

Select BS 381C and the colour shade '499 Service Brown' and it comes up with alternative colour RAL 060 30 10.

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alternatives.asp

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

PS. And for anyone seeking the RAL number for BS 298 Olive Drab. The equivalent number according to the site in my previous post is:-

7013 RAL Classic Brown grey

Ron

RON,
i found this site but didn't spot the 499 'service brown'..

My paintwork is obviously too green/yellow/kakhi - as i didn't like my first version of this colour and couldn't take the flak from my mates.

Too late .. its stays as is, as it will be rolling by end of week

Hi Maarten,

Thanks for sharing, great pictures of a great project. It must have been very nice to rebuild a NOS engine, amazing they still come up.

Enjoy the rest, Cheers, Michiel

@Niels,

I've used RAL8027 F9 (the F9 designates an army colour)...it came closest to the original colour which was still present on the frame below the fuel tank and the regulator box....

@Michiel, I had the same thought when it was offered to me....but it proofed to be exactly that....NOS

nigP
RON,
i found this site but didn't spot the 499 'service brown'..

My paintwork is obviously too green/yellow/kakhi - as i didn't like my first version of this colour and couldn't take the flak from my mates.

Too late .. its stays as is, as it will be rolling by end of week

Nige you're in the UK right? So why would you be looking for a RAL number when you can use the BS numbers. Ron

RON - Yep i'm a Yorkie.

Local paint shop couldn't find a BS number anything like what i wanted - and i have a fixation on RAL numbers after painting so many cars in the past.

The color i have is very Kahki ... similar to an Army uniform -
At the time i was having one of my 'downer's' on the bike and threw some appropriate looking paint at it ......... ho hum!

After last weeks Indian generated electrical issues (i wont bore you) it nearly got kicked into back of garage until next winter (i'm running out of time to make Bonneville decision, MX bikes, other peoples bikes!).
However after sleeping on the problems, it back in favor - though if i don't get it running very soon, it will have to go to the back.

That's strange. I've never had a problem buying BS 499 Service Brown or BS 298 Olive Drab from various auto paint suppliers. Nearly as common as 'Magnolia' from B&Q.

The 'Goose Turd Green by Moonlight Khaki' that you describe is a different kettle of Herrings (early war) as there is no BS number to my knowledge. We are forever mixing greens and browns to achieve it.

Not a problem for my 3HW though. I just bought some of that Magnolia from B&Q
And now fitted with it's exotic rear pannier support strap.

Ron

photo 3HW 235_zps45bawfbe.jpg

photo 3HW 237_zpslatpbvvy.jpg

RON - your bike in the pix has been my inspiration for continuing.

It was the early color i was after (thinking 'uncle dick pix) - the description of 'Goose Turd Green by Moonlight Khaki' is exactly how i would describe what i have - interesting color to photograph as it changes dramatically with the light.

My pet paint mix'er deals mainly with cars and custom bikes, i've now forgot the problem at the time, but what i have is what i have .... at least it looks the part.

Yes my new Y straps look the part, the canvas h/bar grips need some thought how to fix and stop adhesive getting all over them and my h/bars need to lose the Indian chrome (shouldn't be too hard !).
I'm not fitting the tank air-filter as i intend to do some off-roading (well green laneing) and though they dont get used as much as hey did, i would still like to keep the 'jewels' in place.
But later today she should be running around the paddock.

Still got to sort out the front, lower pannier frame mounts, but that can wait.

Could do with an appropriate passenger seat - any decent replica's out here ?

How about a picture?..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

working on it.

Now off its stand and rolling round shed .... boy is it light, actually managed to dead-lift it off stand while wifey removed it - my back is in one pc as well !!!!!

Finally, after waiting for almost 3 months for the wheels to return..... the Ariel W/NG is finally finished for its first ride this summer....

Well done on the restoration Maarten, but what on earth is that spotlight on the handlebar? Ron

I'm a bit nearsighted Ron....with this spotlight I can avoid a head on collision with any kind of wildlife around here...

Nieuwe pagina 1