Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Potential purchase

Hello Taff.If that is the bike thats on oz ebay at the moment it looks a bit rough for the money he wants for it.Its about 95% correct & complete but I wonder how much mechanical work has been done to it.The kickstart seems to be sagging a bit in the pitures.If you do bid & buy it I think you should be prepared for more outlay on the engine,gearbox side.Good luck.Sam.

email (option): smarwick@iprimus.com.au

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the info everyone. It is the bike on eBay Sam. I was hoping to get across to see it today but family commitments look as though that might happen. Will see how the bidding goes. Thanks again all.

email (option): Martyn.gowland@hotmail.com

Bikes that saw active service will most likely have mismatched numbers.
Bikes sold off at a post war auction will retain matching engine & frame numbers such as mine, WM20-78096.
A 1942 model, sold post WWII in Melbourne, tarted up with obsolete Empire Star tank & wheels.

Down here I see a lot of WWII surplus machines, painted up in war colours, complete with all the do dahs and service insignias with matching engine & frame numbers usually ridden by clots pretendig the bike had a genuine war pedigree.
Now I have no problem with people who like to play pretend soldiers and as I have always said , "It is yur bike so do with it what makes you happy " but there is no reason for all the bull.

email (option): wariron@tpg,com,au

Sam, just trying to build up my knowledge on these bikes so when you say it is about 95% correct - what bits are incorrect.

Cheers

email (option): Martyn.gowland@hotmail.com

I think that it\\\'s a pretty good buy if the reserve is not much higher than the starting price.

Incorrect parts I can see is the earlier model balloon type fuel tank, possibly the speedo is for a later model(not sure when the trip meter was added) and it may have had pannier racks, depends on what month the bike was produced. As Rik states panniers fitted from 5/1942.

But it does have some of the hard to get parts such as the control levers, the original amp gauge and the sump gaurd to name a few.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

OTOH if it goes way too high there was a nice M21 plunger at Cowra with a reserve of 5500 that did not sell so he might be open to offers and that extra 150 cc makes a big difference if you are considering to do a lot of riding.

email (option): wariron@tpg,com,au

Hello Taff.Apart from the 3 position light switch and the later speedo,the side field stand is the longer one fitted where the short one goes.Apart from that it's a good complete example.Just check as to exactly what mechanical restoration has gone into the motor,gearbox,fork link bushes,etc if you plan on riding it straight off.Sam.

email (option): smarwick@iprimus.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1