Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Potential purchase

Hi - looking at entering the world of classic bikes and WM20s.

Currently interested in a bike that has a frame number of WM2071885 and an engine number of WM2039729. I assume they would be the same if the bike was original. Is there a way of determining the age/history of the bike/frame/engine.

Cheers

email (option): martyn.gowland@gmail.com

Re: Potential purchase

Welcome to the forum,
It\'s uncommon to find WM20\'s with matching numbers, they left the factory matching but in service when an engine needed rebuilding it would have been removed from the frame and a freshly rebuilt engine installed with no regard for having matching numbers. Although here in Australia we seem to see more matching number bikes than in Europe.

For the age check out the frame numbers page on the website.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Hi Martyn,

Your frame left the factory in 1942 while you engine was made a little earlier in 1941. Most BSA's left the factory with matching engine and frame numbers but during rebuilds they often ended up as a mix of parts from different years.

The tank number of your BSA during the war would have been C4752468.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

The history of the machine is almost impossible to ascertain. I assume that Henk has looked in the post-war records ?

This bike was delivered under contract C13290 and would probably have carried WD Serial no. C4752468 but this is a little unclear as the contract was to have been for the WB30 Model and was amended to 10000 WM20 with 5000 to RAOC and 5000 to RASC and it is not clear how the serial numbers were allocated within this.

This is the closest to that number that I have on file :-

photo C4752493_zps4a82776d.jpg

Hello Taff.If that is the bike thats on oz ebay at the moment it looks a bit rough for the money he wants for it.Its about 95% correct & complete but I wonder how much mechanical work has been done to it.The kickstart seems to be sagging a bit in the pitures.If you do bid & buy it I think you should be prepared for more outlay on the engine,gearbox side.Good luck.Sam.

email (option): smarwick@iprimus.com.au

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the info everyone. It is the bike on eBay Sam. I was hoping to get across to see it today but family commitments look as though that might happen. Will see how the bidding goes. Thanks again all.

email (option): Martyn.gowland@hotmail.com

Bikes that saw active service will most likely have mismatched numbers.
Bikes sold off at a post war auction will retain matching engine & frame numbers such as mine, WM20-78096.
A 1942 model, sold post WWII in Melbourne, tarted up with obsolete Empire Star tank & wheels.

Down here I see a lot of WWII surplus machines, painted up in war colours, complete with all the do dahs and service insignias with matching engine & frame numbers usually ridden by clots pretendig the bike had a genuine war pedigree.
Now I have no problem with people who like to play pretend soldiers and as I have always said , "It is yur bike so do with it what makes you happy " but there is no reason for all the bull.

email (option): wariron@tpg,com,au

Sam, just trying to build up my knowledge on these bikes so when you say it is about 95% correct - what bits are incorrect.

Cheers

email (option): Martyn.gowland@hotmail.com

I think that it\\\'s a pretty good buy if the reserve is not much higher than the starting price.

Incorrect parts I can see is the earlier model balloon type fuel tank, possibly the speedo is for a later model(not sure when the trip meter was added) and it may have had pannier racks, depends on what month the bike was produced. As Rik states panniers fitted from 5/1942.

But it does have some of the hard to get parts such as the control levers, the original amp gauge and the sump gaurd to name a few.

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

OTOH if it goes way too high there was a nice M21 plunger at Cowra with a reserve of 5500 that did not sell so he might be open to offers and that extra 150 cc makes a big difference if you are considering to do a lot of riding.

email (option): wariron@tpg,com,au

Hello Taff.Apart from the 3 position light switch and the later speedo,the side field stand is the longer one fitted where the short one goes.Apart from that it's a good complete example.Just check as to exactly what mechanical restoration has gone into the motor,gearbox,fork link bushes,etc if you plan on riding it straight off.Sam.

email (option): smarwick@iprimus.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1