KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: GRATITUDE

Just realised I haven't posted on this thread.
With one year to go, I have had an enjoyable and succesful career in the Chemical Industry. I have 'Ben Tren' to thank for starting my interest in General Science in the first year, and then 'Stoker' in Chemistry later on.
I also enjoyed two overseas school trips with Ben Tren and Mike Jackson, the second time Wilbur and Marcus Day came as well.
Also thanks to the late Tony Peart for the fun we had in Railway Society.
Finally to many friends , with whom many I am still in touch , but sadly one (Jim Hall) now passed away

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

In my lower school days, we were encouraged by the big boys to attend the societies they officered and enjoyed.

So Melvyn Spedding (where are you now??) urged us to attend the Literary and Debating Society.

Brian Knapp ushered us to the Chess Club on the D Corridor.

No one urged us to attend the Music Club ( previously regaled with accounts of the Savoy Operas by Old Nick) except a series of posters indicating that there was to be a talk (illustrated with records)on Jazz.

This turned out to be a presentation by 6th formers, Messrs Hearsum and Thompson. The latter played a good stride jazz piano - later to be showcased (ahem) in the Leeds University Jazz Band; the former had a good knowledge and collection of Trad Jazz records which were played to the gathered throng in the bowels of the Mechanics (ie the Music Room).

I think we were second formers - but we were deeply impressed - Zog Sugden later developed a stylish clarinet and Tenor sax; Joe Johnson took up trumpet and later clarinet and sax; Humphrey Topham(already an accomplished skiffle guitarist) took up the trombone and threatened Kid Ory.

Older youths: Percy Cridland had already embarked on a mission with the drums; Eric Wright developed a versatile style on double bass.

Hearsum and Thompson created an interest in Jazz which my year argued about until we left school - arguing our preferences - of which mine was swing and big band. Such that my parents kitted me out with drums which led me to play (whilst still at school) in a local dance band - (mainly of lads from KBGS) - whose pianist was to become my wife.

Much gratitude to Hearsum and Thompson for a life changing influence.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

It is interesting how many of these postings to this thread mention their gratitude for their Maths education. I have mentioned mine earlier. I reflect on my education at KBGS often and although I know I went on to learn more after I left I still value the induction into a new world for me and the love of learning and how to learn that I was given there. I have read how the ancient Egyptians took children and inducted them into the secrets that built their civilisation and I sometimes recognise that I felt that I was having secrets revealed to me, especially during Maths and especially Trigonometry and the beauty of Geometry with its superb logical structure.

I also am thankful for trigonometry, at school I had no idea what it was about, in the Army I used it continually and truly appreciated its simplicity and downright usefullness

Should that read "triggernometry"? or did I miss the point?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Terry, you've put your finger on it, but don't pull it.