KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
GRATITUDE

I have many reasons to be grateful to many people for many rewarding experiences at KBGS. I would like this posting to encourage other old Keighlians to recount - as and when they recall them - their reasons to be grateful for life-enhancing/altering experiences arising from their time at KBGS.

I would like to start this new posting at a simple level and thank Dave Jack for taking his portable record player to Camp in 1957 - and sharing with us his record of Eddie Cochran singing "Twenty Flight Rock" - I still remember the words (and the tune - although Paul Greenwood may disagree on this latter boast) and I play it often.

I hope to return again to this posting with other expressions of gratitude - arising from the many other invaluable experiences that were afforded to me by KBGS. I hope other "Old" Boys will do the same.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

Current location (optional) Lincoln

Re: GRATITUDE

In a way I am, in retrospect, grateful to Arnold Birch who gave me a right shellacing for not having done some homework. I recall he called me namby-pamby and 'couldn't say boo to a goose'and other such dreadful names. I vowed never to be caught again and finished up lecturing in the subject at Bradford College. I still enjoy doing Maths for goodness sakes!!!! How sick can that be??

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945-1950

Current location (optional) Keighley

Arthur Seeley
I still enjoy doing Maths for goodness sakes!!!! How sick can that be??

sounds very sensible and noble to me!

Wilbur Bloomfield's exhortation "Genius is 1% inspiration; 99% perspiration" kept me working against the odds (ie my inability)until I achieved better than I could expect.

All this despite his vocal support of Eden's Suez policy. Little Bug (Dave Fleet) angered the said Wilbur by inscribing the slogan "IT'S SUEZIDE" on the form room blackboard.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 52-60

I was pleased to see the recent addition of photographs of Lister Dawson's involvement in school life, particularly sport, in the 1930s some of which showed images of T P Watson, Headmaster. I calculate that my dad (Longsdon House, of course) was at KBGS 1922 - 27. He always spoke well of T P Watson and accredited him with the introduction of Rugby to the school. Apparently, KBGS was a soccer school until "TP", as my dad called him, went to Twickers to watch his son play in the Varsity Rugby match. So impressed was he by that experience, he returned to Keighley and "decreed" that rugby would be the winter sport for KBGS (or was it it then KT&GS?)
My dad played hooker in local amateur rugby league and, although physically unsuited for that position, I contrived to follow in his footsteps and played there from the very first games period at Lawkholme with Gilbert and "Bob" Fletcher. I had many happy seasons at KBGS and later - thanks to "TP"

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1952-60

Two recent postings caught my eye when I logged on the other day. One was the note from Tom Bell Jnr drawing attention to the visit he had made to Harry Harpin’s grave in Assisi and to the photographs now in the Photo Album. The other posting was that by you Terry, asking old boys to share any life enhancing/altering experiences arising from time spent at KBGS. For me these, two postings are linked. Without a shadow of doubt it was Harry Harpin who was the person responsible for enhancing my later life as a result of his enthusiasm and encouragement during my time at KBGS. I re-read Harry’s article in ‘Zest a few days ago - the one entitled ‘Cycling and Sketching in Winter’, and that in turn reminded me of his exhortation to the class, just prior to the summer holidays [it might have been 1947] not to waste time, but to get a sketch book, get on our bikes and come back after the holidays with a few sketches. I tried it for a few days but soon lost the urge and it was not until some 25 years later that I started to paint again. And that time my interest did not wane. I was bitten by the painting/sketching bug. In fact, I was getting so much pleasure from the hobby that I decided to try and contact Harry to let him know that the seed planted so many years before had finally taken hold and to express my gratitude. By this time he had left teaching to become a priest. However, I enlisted the aid of the local Catholic Priest and within a day I had Harry’s address - Fr. Hilary Francis Harpin, Assisi, Perugia, Italy. I wrote my letter of thanks, believing that he might not remember me, but he did and I received a reply which I still treasure. He obviously got great satisfaction from receiving my letter - ‘It interests me to read of your recollections of your time with me at KBGS and that all my enthusiastic efforts were not in vain‘; ‘I am grateful for your expression of thanks for anything I have been able to communicate.‘ Sadly,the next letter which I wrote was returned unopened marked ’deceduto’!
I continue to fill sketch books on my travels - my ‘pictorial journals’ is how they were described by one American gentleman with whom I shared a railway carriage a few years back. It transpired that he was the Dean of Architecture at Howard University in Washington DC and I was flattered to receive an invitation to address his students on the value of sketching. He was just one of the many interesting people I have met as a result of heeding Harry’s advice. Another was the late David Kossoff who, as well as being a television and film star, sculptor and author, was no mean poet. One of his poems printed in his book, ’You have a Minute Lord?’ sets out his thinking on saying that you like someone.
.. …….. ’this is about saying it; putting it into words.
People don’t. Not about the one thing they should.
About liking someone.
We don’t say it ; hardly ever.’
For ‘like’ one could substitute ‘thank’ eh?
Harry and David would have got on together like a house on fire. And I’m so glad that I thanked Harry for his contribution to my life when I had the chance.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 50

More retrospective gratitude:

Firstly, to Albert Braithwaite who got some Maths into me without actually bashing which was very useful in Architectural studies.

Secondly, to various English masters, the names of whom elude me but the first may have been Mr Mills???
My interest in English, coupled with, luckily, a natural passion for reading, later ignited an interest in literature, creative writing and poetry.

Thirdly, to the school in general for sticking a foreign language under my nose which I wouldn't otherwise have had and to Fred Catley in particular for awakening a dormant aptitude, however slight.

Result: finally, a very happy and continuing enquiry in my retirement into classical languages,with forks, into Ancient civilisations and associated subjects.

For those who complain that they didn't have the benefit of a grammar school education, I would say, worry not, it's never too late. Should you acquire the all important learning bug, Teach Yourself books are a great invention. And there are such things as both Study and Memory Techniques.

Lately, I regretfully failed to note down a blog in the Times-on line: from memory, a bloke who sent his kids to a private school remarked that for the Mock GCSE Maths "A" level exam, they were given an "O" level paper from the 50s; no one could do any of the questions. But don't quote me unless it can be retrieved and checked.

PS Have you lost a Merit Holiday before, Boy ?

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1953-1958

Current location (optional) Brighouse

Not many people being grateful here Terry.
I am grateful to Hughes and Webster (Head of Maths and Maths teacher respectively) for the quality of their teaching which engendered in me an interest in mathematics which persists to this day, for the contribution Webster, in particular, made to helping me learn how to play Bridge, and for their willingness to let the Maths Sixth Form set up a club in the form room with table tennis, darts, card games etc.so that we had something constructive to do at breaks and lunchtimes.
Also to Tony Pickles for almost always having on hand a spare something that I had forgotten.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1958-65

Current location (optional) Leeds

Just realised I haven't posted on this thread.
With one year to go, I have had an enjoyable and succesful career in the Chemical Industry. I have 'Ben Tren' to thank for starting my interest in General Science in the first year, and then 'Stoker' in Chemistry later on.
I also enjoyed two overseas school trips with Ben Tren and Mike Jackson, the second time Wilbur and Marcus Day came as well.
Also thanks to the late Tony Peart for the fun we had in Railway Society.
Finally to many friends , with whom many I am still in touch , but sadly one (Jim Hall) now passed away

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 58-64

Current location (optional) Wirral

In my lower school days, we were encouraged by the big boys to attend the societies they officered and enjoyed.

So Melvyn Spedding (where are you now??) urged us to attend the Literary and Debating Society.

Brian Knapp ushered us to the Chess Club on the D Corridor.

No one urged us to attend the Music Club ( previously regaled with accounts of the Savoy Operas by Old Nick) except a series of posters indicating that there was to be a talk (illustrated with records)on Jazz.

This turned out to be a presentation by 6th formers, Messrs Hearsum and Thompson. The latter played a good stride jazz piano - later to be showcased (ahem) in the Leeds University Jazz Band; the former had a good knowledge and collection of Trad Jazz records which were played to the gathered throng in the bowels of the Mechanics (ie the Music Room).

I think we were second formers - but we were deeply impressed - Zog Sugden later developed a stylish clarinet and Tenor sax; Joe Johnson took up trumpet and later clarinet and sax; Humphrey Topham(already an accomplished skiffle guitarist) took up the trombone and threatened Kid Ory.

Older youths: Percy Cridland had already embarked on a mission with the drums; Eric Wright developed a versatile style on double bass.

Hearsum and Thompson created an interest in Jazz which my year argued about until we left school - arguing our preferences - of which mine was swing and big band. Such that my parents kitted me out with drums which led me to play (whilst still at school) in a local dance band - (mainly of lads from KBGS) - whose pianist was to become my wife.

Much gratitude to Hearsum and Thompson for a life changing influence.

It is interesting how many of these postings to this thread mention their gratitude for their Maths education. I have mentioned mine earlier. I reflect on my education at KBGS often and although I know I went on to learn more after I left I still value the induction into a new world for me and the love of learning and how to learn that I was given there. I have read how the ancient Egyptians took children and inducted them into the secrets that built their civilisation and I sometimes recognise that I felt that I was having secrets revealed to me, especially during Maths and especially Trigonometry and the beauty of Geometry with its superb logical structure.

I also am thankful for trigonometry, at school I had no idea what it was about, in the Army I used it continually and truly appreciated its simplicity and downright usefullness

Should that read "triggernometry"? or did I miss the point?

Terry, you've put your finger on it, but don't pull it.