KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: We of the West Riding (in 1945)

It was a different world then wasn't it? A bit grim, but one which I remember well. The mills, the smoke, the cobbled streets, the absence of traffic; I can relate to virtually every scene, And so I should because that is the world in which I grew up. The pigeon fancier could have been my father!
Does anyone remember the 1947 film, 'A Boy, a Girl and a Bike' which starred Diana Dors and a young Honor Blackman [don't ask me who took the male leads, it was the girls who were the focus of my attention] Quite a bit of that film was shot in Skipton and Burnsall and I, with other Blackman admirers, cycled up to Skipton to catch a glimpse of girls wearing shorts!
The view of Skipton High Street from the top of the church tower - the shot that shows the Town Hall on the left - stirred other memories. In my first job I occupied one of the offices which looked out over the top of the High Street. Happy Days !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 1950

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

An excellent documentary.

If you liked that then try this also; copy the following link into your browser:

http://www.yfaonline.com/yfapublic/assetDetails.cfm?film=1175&keyword=keighley&fromSearchValue=fromKeyword&start=1

or go to 'The Yorkshire Film Archive' website, and type 'Keighley' into their 'search' facility, where you'll find a 21 minute film of the Wimsol factory on Parkwood Street.

Excellent footage of old Keighley, production and delivery methods, advertising etc..

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Denis Pickles
It was a different world then wasn't it? A bit grim, but one which I remember well. The mills, the smoke, the cobbled streets, the absence of traffic; I can relate to virtually every scene, And so I should because that is the world in which I grew up. The pigeon fancier could have been my father!
Does anyone remember the 1947 film, 'A Boy, a Girl and a Bike' which starred Diana Dors and a young Honor Blackman [don't ask me who took the male leads, it was the girls who were the focus of my attention] Quite a bit of that film was shot in Skipton and Burnsall and I, with other Blackman admirers, cycled up to Skipton to catch a glimpse of girls wearing shorts!
The view of Skipton High Street from the top of the church tower - the shot that shows the Town Hall on the left - stirred other memories. In my first job I occupied one of the offices which looked out over the top of the High Street. Happy Days !

Hi Dennis. I sure remember that film. Some of it was filmed in Keighley also, and I can clearly remember a scene where they ride down South street past the big advertising sign boards.Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Interesting that several scenes of the Wimsol factory film are in colour. You half expect the streets to still look grey!