KBGS Old Boys' Forum

A place to discuss Keighley Boys' Grammar School. 

Terms of use.  Anonymous, offensive, or malicious postings will  be deleted. School-related topics only please. If you need to add a "family notice" reply to any of the current messages in that thread, and remember to change the Subject to the name of the newsworthy person.

KBGS Old Boys' Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
We of the West Riding (in 1945)

View the video here.

Yorkshire is divided into three areas, or ‘Ridings’, and it is the West Riding which becomes the focus of this 1945 film. Exploring the mill towns and textile industry within this area of Northern England, the film examines the structure of family life away from the British capital. Observed through the eyes of a [teenager], he recounts visiting his family members who are all employed in different sectors of the local cloth industry. Much attention is paid to the dramatic rural landscapes and moorland that have become the focus for some of Britain’s most renowned works of literature, including Wuthering Heights and other novels by the infamous Bronte sisters.
----------
Other videos in the series include the Second Test in the 1948 Ashes

Re: We of the West Riding (in 1945)

Many thanks for this Chris. I hadn't seen it before but I have saved it to favourites and have to say that it was a bit reminiscent of my childhood although this was just a bit earlier, I can relate to it. Cheers.

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1947-51

Current location (optional) Auckland NZ

Thanks Chris, I agree with Bill particularly with regard to touring the Dales on the bike which took up many weekends during my teenage years.

Current location (optional) Oz

My dad surely would have recognised himself in that film - the mill workers (his dad worked at Sutton Mill), the terraced housing, the cycling for entertainment, the general outlook on life.

Nice view of Skipton from the castle.

trevor pickles
Thanks Chris, I agree with Bill particularly with regard to touring the Dales on the bike which took up many weekends during my teenage years.

Four hours each way to Morecambe on my bike. It took me about three attempts before I beat the Buckhaw Brow, then it was a piece of cake! Cheers.

It was a different world then wasn't it? A bit grim, but one which I remember well. The mills, the smoke, the cobbled streets, the absence of traffic; I can relate to virtually every scene, And so I should because that is the world in which I grew up. The pigeon fancier could have been my father!
Does anyone remember the 1947 film, 'A Boy, a Girl and a Bike' which starred Diana Dors and a young Honor Blackman [don't ask me who took the male leads, it was the girls who were the focus of my attention] Quite a bit of that film was shot in Skipton and Burnsall and I, with other Blackman admirers, cycled up to Skipton to catch a glimpse of girls wearing shorts!
The view of Skipton High Street from the top of the church tower - the shot that shows the Town Hall on the left - stirred other memories. In my first job I occupied one of the offices which looked out over the top of the High Street. Happy Days !

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 1945 - 1950

Current location (optional) Norfolk UK

An excellent documentary.

If you liked that then try this also; copy the following link into your browser:

http://www.yfaonline.com/yfapublic/assetDetails.cfm?film=1175&keyword=keighley&fromSearchValue=fromKeyword&start=1

or go to 'The Yorkshire Film Archive' website, and type 'Keighley' into their 'search' facility, where you'll find a 21 minute film of the Wimsol factory on Parkwood Street.

Excellent footage of old Keighley, production and delivery methods, advertising etc..

Years at KBGS e.g. 1958-1964 (optional) 59-66

Current location (optional) Embsay

Denis Pickles
It was a different world then wasn't it? A bit grim, but one which I remember well. The mills, the smoke, the cobbled streets, the absence of traffic; I can relate to virtually every scene, And so I should because that is the world in which I grew up. The pigeon fancier could have been my father!
Does anyone remember the 1947 film, 'A Boy, a Girl and a Bike' which starred Diana Dors and a young Honor Blackman [don't ask me who took the male leads, it was the girls who were the focus of my attention] Quite a bit of that film was shot in Skipton and Burnsall and I, with other Blackman admirers, cycled up to Skipton to catch a glimpse of girls wearing shorts!
The view of Skipton High Street from the top of the church tower - the shot that shows the Town Hall on the left - stirred other memories. In my first job I occupied one of the offices which looked out over the top of the High Street. Happy Days !

Hi Dennis. I sure remember that film. Some of it was filmed in Keighley also, and I can clearly remember a scene where they ride down South street past the big advertising sign boards.Cheers.

Interesting that several scenes of the Wimsol factory film are in colour. You half expect the streets to still look grey!