5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board

This is our members' forum. Non-members are welcome to place a post if relevant. Commericial advertising and non-relevant posts will be deleted immediately and your IP address will be banned. Please do not abuse this forum

5th Battalion RAR Association Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RSL Talk of comparing wars

Jack T ;
I agree with your comments re the non -combat personnel, and the point that we were all Australian soldiers, the point is well taken becouse the one cannot exist without the other..
It is well for all to understand that it takes 3-5 people to keep one combat soldier in the field.

Around 1973 On asking a man looking for work what he had done before applying for a position with this NSW Government Department, he answered he had just left the Army and that he had lately returned from Vietnam, he was in fact a Vietnam Veteran. I asked him what unit he had served with, he said he was a 'base walla' drove a forklift in the base at Vung Tau' he said he had had a good time...really!.
I told him I would get him an immediate start with the Dept' as a Plant Operator' because of his honesty'. He and myself then became good friends over the next few years.
Those soldiers who are honest will always get respect from any other soldiers combat or otherwise. But you must allow us of the infantry to be just a little jealous (or should I say sensitive) re' the combat badge.
It can be' and is in fact justifiably worn by others than the Infantry.
In the memory of those who fell' we ask only that 'if you wear it' you be able to justify it.
Bob C