Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Movies, politics, whatever...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Inglourious Basterds- Tarantino's new flick

i thought it was easily his worst movie. it didn't have that charm for me that all his others have. that being said i still enjoyed it quite a lot, though the end scene was gruesome.

Re: Inglourious Basterds- Tarantino's new flick

I really liked it ; I usually don't like much Tarantino (especially Deathproof and Kill Bill vol 2 which I found really boring and full of Tarantino's tics).
The opening scene of Inglorious Basterds is fabulous, an emotional crescendo, for me the best scene in any Tarantino movie.
The rest of the movie switches with talent from humorous moments to tense ones and the actors are really great.

actually, now that i think of deathproof as a stand alone movie i agree with you, but in the context of the whole grindhouse experience i loved it more.

I liked it. Although it was very different from what I was expecting. I thought it was strange how the basterds themselves were almost secondary characters in terms of the the plot. The opening scene, ending, and pub scene I thought were particularly good.

I liked it a lot. Tarantino is good for making you laugh at things that aren't really funny. The scenes, like the barroom were really good, and the interactions between Hans Landa and Aldo Raine are priceless.

The only parts I really liked were the first fifteen minutes and the Brad Pitt parts.

(Spoilers)

I can appreciate what he's trying to do. The scene at the start where the Nazi guy compares Jews to rats saying "If a rat came into your house, you would kill them" is really meant to get at our iconified hatred of Nazis. He says "I posit a squirrel can spread disease just as well as a rat, yet you don't hate them as much". I posit a Spanish conquistador can commit genocide just as well as a Nazi, yet you don't hate them as much. Politicians don't compare anyone who disagrees with them to Cortez, they compare them to Hitler.

Then we see the movie of a sniper picking off hundreds of people, at the same time we see two of the Bastards mowing down hundreds of helpless Nazis. Cruelty to Nazis is acceptable, because they're Nazis, just as it's okay to kill rats but not squirrels.

That theme of the movie I found beautiful, but some of the scenes in the middle dragged on, and it started to seem like Tarantino had exhausted the last of his cinematic toolbox with Kill Bill. There's nothing he did that wasn't similar to something from a previous Tarantino movie. He also kind of teetered on trivializing the holocaust at points, but that's a different conversation.

I like the fact that it actually were Tarantino's hands that strangled Diane Kruger in the close-ups..

I didn't like it at all. If it weren't for the Tarantino name, I don't think it would stand a chance of being made. The Hans Alda character is ok, all the other characters are unimpressive. Most of the scenes are too long, the whole film is too long. It feels like a scenario that isn't finished; one extensive re-write would have made it a lot better; shorter scenes, more focus on character development. One of the strange things is the absence of tension, because it all takes too much time.
About the music: this normally is one of the strong points of a Tarantino movie; he uses the same music as in his other movies, only here it doesn't work at all. A nazi flick doesn't need Ennio Morricone.

I finally got around to seeing this last night and I have a few thoughts-

Brad Pitt's recent roles have been fantastic, I loved his role in Burn After Reading and Aldo was a great character.

I thought it was interesting that Tarantino's trademark dialouge was for the most part absent. I think a lot of people really appreciated that, but I missed it.

There were a lot of times where it was hard to differentiate the characters especially the basterds.

Hans Landa is one of the best movie villains in recent film. Roth and Pitt made this movie great.