Go to the NEW FORUM

Movies, politics, whatever...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Any video game fans?

What sort of games are people into?

My interests seem to fall in two categories:

Older/retro styled action games. I love the old 2D NES games like Mario, Megaman, Castlevania. Most of them were hard, everything was moving around the screen really fast, the character was small on the screen so they really tested your spatial awareness and reflexes. The controls were super-simple but the levels were complex and tricky. And plot? What plot, I'm playing a game! The developers were just plain jerks with the kind of death traps they would set for you, and we loved the masochistic thrill of getting hit by a hawk and knocked into a hole. Even now I like games like Megaman 9 and Castle Crashers a lot more than more modern styled games like God of War and Metal Gear Solid. (Games that are more like interactive movies than games).

The second type is newer role playing games. When I was younger I was really into Final Fantasy, but now I'm more into more eclectic games like Shin Megami Tensei and Valkyrie Profile. Some of them have really cool plots (Though most are rather kiddy). The combat is about strategic decision making, and the good ones really test your ability to plan tactically.

Re: Any video game fans?

Video Games are great! I enjoy most genres except for racing and most sports games. Some of my favourites include:
-Civilization IV
-Bioshock
-Fire Emblem
-the first mario bros.
... and many more if I took the time to go through everything I own.

also: I can't stand any of the guitar hero games (for too many reasons to list)

I have been a big fan since I was about 10.
I started with the Sega Master System and went through super nintendo, dreamcast, N64, GBA, game cube, DS, playstation 1 and 2, X Box, X-Box 360...

I enjoy almost every kind of games with the exception of realistic car races (can be pretty fun though when it is totally unrealistic with weapons and such) and most sport simulation (except tennis... I love tennis... and football when played with friends)

My favourite type of games evolved through time.
First it was platformers (Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong Country 2... nothing has ever topped those).
Then I went to 2D fighting games (those by Capcom more than those by SNK, I was a killer at Marvel Super Heroes, Street Fighter Alpha...)
3D killed those 2 genres, not much good games on those 2 categories on the past 10 years (with the exception of Psychonauts, awesome 3D platformer totally under-rated)

Then Goldeneye and Counter Strike arrived and introduced me to the FPS world while at the same time I felt in love with my favourite game ever, Final Fantasy VII, the first of a long serie of RPG I've played, including emulated older one such as the awesome Chrono Trigger
I really like the "Tactical RPG" games, when instead of dynamic fights you have more strategic ones in a war field looking like a chest. However none has ever gave me the same amount of fun as Vandal Heart on PSX. (and I've tried a lot, including Disgaea, many Fire Emblem, one in PSX with robots...)
RPGs were perfect when I was alone while FPS where the perfect game to play together, I spent long afternoon with by best friends with Golden Eye (and Mario Kart 64 back then) and made some good mates on the "internet café" where I played Counter Strike (and Unreal, and Quake and Starcraft...)

Most of my other favourite games are "unique" in the sense that they don't look like anything before them and often like nothing after neither.
The best one on that category is the incredible "Jet Set Radio" and his follow-up "Jet Set Radio Future" ; those were games in which you played roller skater in a modern Tokyo ruled by gangs and abusive police forces. You had to paint the city with your tags and you could do incredible stunts in a huge town with a fabulous design, perfect handiness, witty humor and one of the few original soundtracks I can listen to on their own.
There was also Bust a Move and Bust a Groove, too totally different game : one was about rythm (a dance game but with the pad, not with your feet) and the other was the best puzzle game ever (take that damn Tetris). And I was almost invincible at both.

Never were much into PC games, except Counter Strike (as formerly said), Half-Life and Diablo II

Nowadays I enjoy many different type of games but I feel like RPGs are much less interesting than they used to (except the Shin Megami Tensei serie maybe), the graphics are good but the plot often tends to suck a bit.
Bioshock is incredible indeed, but I really enjoy the Guitar Hero too and I'm pretty good at it.
The soundtracks of the 2 first were much better than the last ones but those of Rock Band are pretty good too, many AM3000 songs in those games !

Yeah I play a fair amount of video games. Some may even consider me "hardcore". I got my start on the Sega Genesis back in the early nineties. Then moved onto N64 , PC, GC, PS2, and now I game pretty much exclusively on the 360. My favorite genres are typically shooters, action adventure games, and RPGS although I will play anything that interests me.

i just beat Rygar for the first time ever on my NES, it took forever...

NES and Super NES are my favorites. I cant do anything 3D!

My favorite games of all-time would be:

Bubble Bobble
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link
Bubble Bobble 2
Super Mario Kart
Megaman 2

I was growing tired of video games but then I got a Wii and it's really renewed my love for them.

Bubble Bobble is easily one of my top 10 favorite games of all time, its so fun to play with a friend. Me & my friends played it so many times we've assigned all the items & some levels different nicknames. There have been a few times when we play in front of people who've never played before and they hear our lingo and think we're retards and they get really pissed off at us. The Legend of Zelda is amazing too, its not 2 player, but its the original rpg & i've never heard some one say they didn't enjoy it.

Amen! I love WcDonald's, the chyrasanthemums obtained from killing beasties with the water bubbles and the Book of Death. Bubble Bobble 2 has tons as well.

Beef Supreme
i just beat Rygar for the first time ever on my NES, it took forever...

Heh, I beat Kid Icarus without game genie for the first time when I was 21.

Although, I could beat Castlevania III and Ninja Gaiden II when I was a kid and now I can only get to the last bosses. Maybe it's because I had more patience for repetition back then.

All my favorites lately have come from the Shin Megami Tensei/Persona series, though I also really liked Super Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Tetris on the Game Boy was the first Video Game I had ever played and it holds the spot as my favorite game ever. Ever since I played it Video Games have been a HUGE part of my life possibly even more so than music.

I have a Game Boy, Game Boy Pocket, Game Boy Light, Game Boy Color(s), Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP(s), Game Boy Micro(s), Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS Lite(s), Nintendo DSi, NES(s), SNES(s), Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64(s), Sega Dreamcast(s), Playstation 2, Nintendo Gamecube, PSP(s), Nintendo Wii, and a Playstation 3.

I used to have an Xbox and Xbox 360, but I didn't like them so I got rid of them. I also intend on getting some other more obscure systems and handhelds.

Some of my favorite games besides Tetris are

Super Mario Galaxy 2
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Metroid Prime
Fallout 3
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Resident Evil 4
Tetris Attack/Puzzle League
Portal

My favorite franchises are Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and Pokemon.

Just out of curiosity is their a video game equivalent to acclaimedmusic?

nice re.bump, leo

after lots and lots of emulator hours I'd say..

Tales Of Phantasia (SNES/GBA)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Mario's Picross (GB)
LOZ: Link's Awakening (GB)
LOZ: Ocarina Of Time (N64)
Super Mario Brothers 3 (NES)
Earthworm Jim (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
Pitman/Catrap (GB)
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (Mac)
Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal (PC)
Empire Earth (PC)
Wario Land 4 (GBA)
The Secret Of Monkey Island/+/LeChuck's Revenge (Mac)
LOZ: A Link To The Past (SNES)
Ballerburg (Atari/Public Domain)
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (Mac)
Mystic Quest/Final Fantasy Adventure (GB)

I've been meaning to post my top 10 here since videogames are my favorite form of entertainment, edging out music and film slightly. I practically only play PC games, and on PC mostly singleplayer; you won't find World of Warcraft in my top 50. Anyway, here goes:

1. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
2. Diablo II
3. Planescape: Torment
4. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic
5. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
6. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
7. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
8. Diablo
9. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
10. Golden Sun (GBA)

Big fan of RPGs as well, as you can see. The first four are 10/10.