Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Movies, politics, whatever...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Film Recommendation Thread

anytime you see a movie that you consider "good" or "great" or even perhaps a "masterpiece" go ahead and let us know which movie and perhaps some comments on the film. I know some people are film novices and perhaps want to expand the list of great movies they have seen so here is a vehicle for that.

Do the Right Thing- Spike Lee 1989
This movie is a hugely powerful statement about race relations in America at the time. I think the film is a success in that it takes a very complex and open stance to the problems of race relations and it's very interesting to see what drives the characters to do what they do, especially Mookie (played by Lee) at the end. Also, the reoccuring motif of "Fight the Power" by PE is awesome and i haven't been able to get it out of my head for over a week now. The plot of the film is very subtle at first but it erupts into a very captivating situation with emotions high.
10/10
i seriously enjoyed this movie (though i can't say all my friends in my study of film class felt the same hahaha)

Re: Film Recommendation Thread

8 1/2 is now officially my no#1 movie of all time. of course, it's already in the top 10 on they shoot pictures so it hardly needs any more praise.

It's certainly not cinema at its finest, but for those of us who enjoy modern music and its history, and also a few laughs, "Walk Tall" is actually worth a look. The Beatles bit is very funny, and Jack White as Elvis is almost as good.

do you mean "walk hard"?
cause if so i'd agree, i thought it had some good parodies of music culture. i liked the "bob dylan phase" and when he was trying to make his elaborate pet sounds/sgt. peppers-esque masterpiece

Yep, "Walk Hard"

The Dylan-esque sequence in WALK HARD is the funniest thing in the movie. The nonsense song "Royal Jelly" is hilarious, and John C. Reilly's impersonation is more pitch-perfect than any of the actors who "played" Dylan in Todd Haynes' I'M NOT THERE. (Cate Blanchett's Oscar-nominated turn in the Haynes film, as the HIGHWAY 61/BLONDE ON BLONDE-era "Jude", is utterly astonishing, but she didn't do her own singing - in fact, the singing in her sequence is dubbed by Stephen Malkmus, of all people.)

My favorite movie of all time is Rushmore. It also has a wonderful soundtrack.

My one and only film recommendation: "The Shawshank Redemption". It's what I believe to be one of the most powerful and touching movies of all-time.

ChrisF
My favorite movie of all time is Rushmore. It also has a wonderful soundtrack.

QFT

Penguin
My one and only film recommendation: "The Shawshank Redemption". It's what I believe to be one of the most powerful and touching movies of all-time.

QF"Un"T

Im a big film buff myself. I might have what some would consider an odd top 25. So encase anyone cares, here it is.

1)2001: A Space Odyssey - Stanly Kubrick
2)Once Upon A Time In America - Sergio Leone
3)Mulholland Drive - David Lynch
4)Jules Et Jim - Francios Traffault
5)Persona - Ingmar Bergman
6)The Thin Red Line - Terrance Mallick
7)A Clockwork Orange - Stanly Kubrick
8)There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson
9)The Mirror - Andrei Tarkofsky
10)Chinatown - Roman Polanski
11)Goodfellas - Martin Scorsese
12)Dr. Strangelove - Stanly Kubrick
13)Arguirre: The Wrath of God - Wernor Herzog
14)American Beauty - Sam mendes
15)Amacord - Fellini
16)Full Metal Jacket - Stanly Kubrick
17)Do The Right Thing - Spike Lee
18)Wild Strawberries - Ingmar Bergamn
19)Fargo - The Coen Brothers
20)The Godfather Part 2 - Francis Ford Coppala
21)Paris Texas - Wim Wenders
22)Barry Lyndon - Stanly Kubrick
23)Elephant - Gus Van Sant
24)Breathless - Jean Luc Godard
25)Blue Velvet - david Lynch

Its pretty obvious that Im a huge Kubrick fan. so much in fact, I named my first born Kubrick...lol

Good job ranking "There Will be Blood" so high. Excellent movie, although I thought I was the only one who thought it was better than "No Country for Old Men."

I think my favorite Ingmar Bergman film is Smiles of a Summer Night. But, I love all of this movies, he's right up there with David Lynch and Wes Anderson in terms of best directors.

I still need to see Jules et Jim and Arguirre: Wrath of God. I could never get into Amarcord, or Fellini for that matter. I love the beautiful imagery but the stories really don't appeal to me.

Here's a rough overview of my top 5

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Goodfellas
3. Fight Club
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
5. The Godfather

and here's some more really awesome movies

Apocalypse Now
The Departed
The Return of the King
The Empire Strikes Back
Dr. Strangelove
A Clockwork Orange
The Shining
Reservoir Dogs
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Little Miss Sunshine
The Dark Knight
Milk
No Country for Old Men
Donnie Darko
The Matrix
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Full Metal Jacket
Airplane
Downfall
Pan's Labyrinth
Blade Runner
Sideways
American Beauty
Silence of the Lambs
Psycho
Taxi Driver
Spirited Away
The Incredibles
Toy Story
Jaws

I love There Will Be Blood, 2001, and I think Spirited Away is the best animated movie I have ever seen. It's so beautiful.

I’m a recidivist in the area of film; almost all of my favorites were made between 1938 and 1972. In fact, the more I look, I notice that an alarming number of my favorite movies were made in the second half of the 1950s. So here are my top ten picks just from that period (chronological order):

1955: The Night of the Hunter (Laughton)
1956: The Searchers (Ford)
1957: The Seventh Seal (Bergman), Sweet Smell of Success (Mackendrick), Throne of Blood (Kurosawa), 12 Angry Men (Lumet)
1958: Touch of Evil (Welles)
1959: North by Northwest (Hitchcock), Rio Bravo (Hawks), Some Like It Hot (Wilder)

About five of those are in my all-time top 20.

And before anyone objects, yes, I left Vertigo off intentionally. Same thing with French New Wave stuff, which is not my cuppa.

Vertigo is probably my easy #1. The rest of the super-acclaimed classics I've seen I'd probably rank but a lot lower.

8 1/2 is something I have my eyes open for, as well as other foreign films like Rules of the Game. Except, it's hard to find versions of them reasonably priced, or at rental places, so I don't really know how to get them.

2000's favorites (That would appear in any top 100 I made):
Lord of the Rings
Children of Men
Pan's Labyrinth
The Lives Of Others
Slumdog Millionare
Lost In Translation
Kill Bill
Bourne Supremacy
Bourne Ultimatum
Mullholland Drive
Sideways
Million Dollar Baby
Memento
City of God
Almost Famous
Hotel Rwanda

Honorable mention: The first 90 minutes of Minority Report, before having an unfittingly happy ending.

i had completely forgotten about this movie but i was reminded searching through rym movies.

Goodbye Lenin (2003)
a very communist mother lapses into a coma just before communism falls in east germany and wakes up sometime after it has become westernized. her son then tries to keep the truth from her because she cannot be shocked further or else she may die. i forget what happens but i remember really enjoying it.