Go to the NEW FORUM
... in order of preference.
THIS IS NOT A PREDICTION GAME but a favorite teams poll. What team do you like, do you wish to watch, do you want to support the most (and the least) ?
Here is mine
1 | France
2 | Spain
3 | USA
4 | Brazil
5 | Cameroon
6 | Australia
7 | Côte d'Ivoire
8 | New Zealand
9 | Chile
10 | Algeria
11 | Argentina
12 | Ghana
13 | Mexico
14 | Nigeria
15 | Germany
16 | England
17 | Denmark
18 | Portugal
19 | Holland
20 | Uruguay
21 | Paraguay
22 | Italy
23 | Slovenia
24 | Serbia
25 | Slovakia
26 | South Korea
27 | South Africa
28 | Japan
29 | Honduras
30 | Switzerland
31 | North Korea
32 | Greece
Oh le chauvin !
Nothing wrong to love and support your own country
So yes i am chauvin
Beside that I don't know, I will probably be supporting African countries, but also Japan and South Korea whom way of playing I like (if I remember well). And of course Australia and New-Zealand cause I like those countries (without ever having been there... I just decided I liked them... I'll be looking for a job there as soon as I get my driver license ! )
I'll probably be rooting for the US just because it's what I'm used to.
Anyway, the World Cup is the only time I follow soccer, so I don't know enough about any of the teams to pick a team to root for on any other criteria.
Maybe I'll root against the countries who blame the US for the economic collapse then refuse to give up their ten week paid vacations.
now THAT's a funny (and much easier) waste of time..
03. Côte d'Ivoire
12. South Korea
14. New Zealand
19. South Africa
24. North Korea
Oh yes I forgot Ireland
They're my number 5 (and it is not just misplaced guilt)
About chauvinism :
"When I drive in London, I see every other car flying the flag of St George. I was in Paris last week and did not see one car with a French flag. That says it all.
When I go to watch England and I am a bit late I always hurry up because I don't want to miss the national anthem. In England, they sing God Save The Queen like one man.
When I am late for a France game I do not rush because half of the stadium whistles the national anthem.
That is the difference between France and England in terms of the love for their country. I find that fantastic.
France could be a force at this World Cup but they lack belief as the whole country has a feeling they shouldn't be there after the way they qualified against Ireland."
Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/worldcup2010/3007237/Arsene-Wenger-wants-England-win-the-World-Cup.html#ixzz0qRwMksGs
3. England (home country)
20. North Korea (yeah!)
23. Uruguay 9by virtue of being 2time winners)
32. whoever I've missed out
Ireland honorable 5th, since I'm british.
On second thought I may have to root for England against the US.
Just out of concern for the safety of the British fans. If the US loses, there will be no fatalities.
2) Holland (Where my father was born)
3) England (5 Tottenham players on the squad. And now that the U.S. game is done, I need to root for them to beat up on Sloenia and Algeria.)
4) Cameroon (2 Tottenham players on the squad (although Assou-Akotto was partially at fault for Japan's goal))
5) Honduras (Go Wilson Palacios!)
6) Mexico (I realize that as a U.S. fan I am supposed to dislike them, but I am really enjoying their style of play. And the better the Concacaf nations do, the better for the U.S... Oh and go Gio Dos Santos!)
7) South Africa - Fun to root for home nation
8) Cote d'Ivoire - Particularly if they knock out Portugal
9) Ghana - Of course it would be great if the African nations did well. Except Algeria (if only because they're in U.S.'s group).
11) Italy - Only because my wife is half-Italian. Otherwise I will tend to root against the former winners.
12) Chile - Exciting style of play. And some good news after the awful earthquake.
13) Paraguay - Not as exciting, but an underdog.
14) South Korea - Fun to watch.
15) Slovakia - Go underdogs!
16) Japan - Not as much fun to watch, but go underdogs!
17) Spain - They are the most fun to watch when on all cylinders. And they never won yet.
18) Uruguay - Love Suarez, like Forlan, not a fan of their hard fouling reputation.
19) Slovenia - Marked down for being in Group C. But they are plucky.
20) New Zealand - Too much of an underdog. I'd prefer if the rest of Oceania just joined the Asian confederation.
21) Australia - Actually not a huge fan of a number of their players.
22) Serbia - They were my dark horse to win their group above Germany... then yesterday happened. Not a fan, but I do respect them.
23) Algeria - I enjoyed when they beat Egypt, but I find it hard to get behind them otherwise... particularly in Group C.
24) Denmark - A dour team.
25) Switzerland - A dourer team.
26) Greece - A dourest team.
27) Argentina - Into the former champions set... I like Messi so they are at the top (other than Italy and England and Uruguay, who doesn't count since it has been 60 years)
28) Brazil - We really don't need them winning again, do we?
29) France - Not just because of the Hand of Gaul... but it's a big part of it.
30) Portugal - Hated how they qualified, and hate Ronaldo.
31) Germany - Sorry German friends, but it's part of being a Dutch fan to root against you.
32) North Korea - With all sympathy for their population, it is imperative that Dear Leader gets no staisfaction.
Now that I've seen all the teams play I think I can make a fair assessment:
2. South Africa
6. New Zealand
9. Ivory Coast
11. South Korea
26. North Korea
Now the 1st stage has ended, what about ranking again the teams, but this time based from the ones we considered the best to the worst?
1) Germany: a bit more consistent than #2, although having had only one excelent acting.
14) Cote D' Ivore
17) South Korea
25) South Africa
28) Slovakia: wow, and they managed to achieve the 2nd stage!
29) North Korea
31) New Zealand: 3 draws, but that's cause they're a very lucky team!
1. Argentina (star player: MEssi)
2. Germany (Oezil)
3. Brazil (Maicon)
4. Spain (Xavi)
5. Netherlands (Sneijder)
6. Uruguay (Perez)
7. Mexico (Marquez)
8. Ghana (not really sure, Gyan?)
9. Japan (Matsui)
10. South Korea (Park Ji Sung)
12. USA (Donovan)
13. Slovenia (Koren)
14. Chile (Beausejour)
15. England (Ashley Cole)
16. Paraguay (sorry this was a really boring group)
17. Slovakia (again, don't know any slovakian players)
18. Ivory Coast (Jervinho)
19. South Africa (Shabalala, don't know how to spell it)
21. New Zealand (no idea)
22. Australia (Cahill)
23. Switzerland (Fernandes[because he scored against spain])
24. Italy (didn't follow them)
25. Algeria (Bougherra)
26. Serbia (Vidic)
27. CAmeroon (Eto'o)
28. France (Diaby)
29. Greece (Ummm...)
30. Nigeria (Uche)
31. Honduras (Palacios)
32. North Korea (Jong Tae Sei)
Interesting that we have the same top 5, and almost the same top 10!
Well, now after the games of today it's really confirmed to me that Germany is the best team, followed by Argentina, what makes their game on the quarter-finals an anticipated final!