Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm listening to _______ and it kicks ass!

Sugercubes - Birthday

better than aby of bjork's stuff if you ask me! will be picking up a copy of it as soon as someone offers it to me for a good price.

Re: I'm listening to _______ and it kicks ass!

Gap Band! Apparently nobody else agrees.

The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers. Best album I've heard since In the Aeroplane..

I really, really like the XX album. Once I realized all the songs were going to be in that coolly sultry, minimalist vein, I thought it was going to wear thin over a whole album - but it never does. It's kind of like a sexier COLOSSAL YOUTH.

Hot chili peppers in the blistering sun...

"Romance in Durango" by Bob Dylan from The Bootleg Series, Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975 - The Rolling Thunder Revue.

Rune
The Holy Bible by Manic Street Preachers. Best album I've heard since In the Aeroplane..

It's on my wishlist. Of course, I'm not a big fan of Aeroplane.

This. What an exciting, astonishing piece of music this is, not only because it sounds like it hatched Prince, but because it absolutely obliterates any genre boundaries that the forces that be like to create.

Le Jardin de Heavenly by Heavenly

The new Muse ;]

And yeah, Moonbeam, the entirety of One Nation Under A Groove is like one extended orgasm. As a guitarist, I especially appreciated it. So much killer fretwork, on a funk album.

ChrisF
Rune

It's on my wishlist. Of course, I'm not a big fan of Aeroplane.

They're not really similar, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Paul
Hot chili peppers in the blistering sun...
"Romance in Durango" by Bob Dylan from The Bootleg Series, Vol. 5: Bob Dylan Live 1975 - The Rolling Thunder Revue.

Absolutely makes my day to hear that album get some well-deserved recognition.

Me, I'm getting to know "Rattus Norvegicus" before making my 1977 poll contribution.

Polk Salad Annie by Tony Joe White

A friend just sent me some Bobbie Gentry, and I sent him back this great video

And "Who said a funk rock..." REALLY kicks ass

nicolas
And "Who said a funk rock..." REALLY kicks ass

Maybe it'll stand a chance for 1978.

Funny enough I've also been listening to a lot of Funkadelic recently. I, like many others, have gone made for the Maggot Brain solo; I've been eagerly showing showing it to all my friends, prefacing it with "If you think the solo in Stairway to heaven is good, wait untill you hear this!".

IfWhiteAmericaToldTheTruthForOneDayIt'sWorldWouldFallApart

I just read the lyrics for this: it's a little cringe worthy, I think.

the lead singer was ahead of his time with his manorexia, self mutalation, black eye liner and whatever the emo posers of today are into.

TIM
the lead singer was ahead of his time with his manorexia, self mutalation, black eye liner and whatever the emo posers of today are into.

Not the lead singer. It was rhythm guitarist Richey Edwards who suffered of anorexia, depression and alcoholism, and disappeared without ever being found in 1995. Manorexia is a really stupid word, as there is no difference in female and male anorexia. It is a horrible, deadly disease, and not a lifestyle or fashion choice.

rod stewart - every picture tells a story

picked up a copy today and it's fantastic.

Wow. I finally picked up The Beta Band's Three EPs, and nothing has kicked so much ass in a while. Possibly a top 20-er for me.

^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84bCWay7k3E

Rune
TIM

Not the lead singer. It was rhythm guitarist Richey Edwards who suffered of anorexia, depression and alcoholism, and disappeared without ever being found in 1995. Manorexia is a really stupid word, as there is no difference in female and male anorexia. It is a horrible, deadly disease, and not a lifestyle or fashion choice.

You're right Richey had manorexia before it was even called manorexia. He really was ahead of his time. It actually is a choice for many women involved in the modeling industry and also the gay community. Just listen to the lyrics to 4st 7lb. Now living with cancer is not a choice.

i'm listening to Another Green World and it does indeed kick ass.

TIM
Rune
TIM

You're right Richey had manorexia before it was even called manorexia. He really was ahead of his time. It actually is a choice for many women involved in the modeling industry and also the gay community. Just listen to the lyrics to 4st 7lb. Now living with cancer is not a choice.

You obviously don't know what anorexia is. It is not a choice, it is a mental illness. You can choose to diet, choose to not eat, but you can't choose the illness. Cancer and anorexia are two very different diseases. You can't really compare them, besides both being life-threatening.

There are examples of people wanting to be anorexic, for dieting purposes or for trying to gain popularity, but they aren't necessarily. The same goes for fashion models. Just because they are skinny and eat little, doesn't mean they are anorexic. Of course there has been anorexic women in that industry, but most of them are not.

Listening to lyrics written by an anorexic gives little insight to the knowledge behind the illness. It's like listening to a schizophrenic describing schizophrenia. Their views on the disease are not professional. Richey Edwards wrote "I choose my choice, I starve to frenzy". It might be hard to understand for us who eat normal, but anorexic people don't choose away food. For them there is no choice.

A lot of people, young girls in particular, have this disease. An estimate shows that 1 in 100 girls have it some time during their lives. The death rate is hard to know exactly, but it kills approx. 6% of those who have it. The suicide rate is also a lot higher than for those without the illness. Suicide is very likely the way Richey Edwards ended his life.

Rune
TIM
Rune
TIM

You obviously don't know what anorexia is. It is not a choice, it is a mental illness. You can choose to diet, choose to not eat, but you can't choose the illness. Cancer and anorexia are two very different diseases. You can't really compare them, besides both being life-threatening.

There are examples of people wanting to be anorexic, for dieting purposes or for trying to gain popularity, but they aren't necessarily. The same goes for fashion models. Just because they are skinny and eat little, doesn't mean they are anorexic. Of course there has been anorexic women in that industry, but most of them are not.

Listening to lyrics written by an anorexic gives little insight to the knowledge behind the illness. It's like listening to a schizophrenic describing schizophrenia. Their views on the disease are not professional. Richey Edwards wrote "I choose my choice, I starve to frenzy". It might be hard to understand for us who eat normal, but anorexic people don't choose away food. For them there is no choice.

A lot of people, young girls in particular, have this disease. An estimate shows that 1 in 100 girls have it some time during their lives. The death rate is hard to know exactly, but it kills approx. 6% of those who have it. The suicide rate is also a lot higher than for those without the illness. Suicide is very likely the way Richey Edwards ended his life.

fair enough. Did PJ Harvey ever have an eatting disorder? I remember her getting really agrovated when an interviewer for some magazine brought up how thin she was. She made Fiona Apple look like Beth Ditto.

I'm obsessed with Elliott Smith right now, especially the albums Either/Or and XO. They really kick ass, especially the songs "Say Yes" and "Indenpendence Day." Both will probably be T50 when it comes time to submit my albums list for the poll.

Jackson
I'm obsessed with Elliott Smith right now, especially the albums Either/Or and XO. They really kick ass, especially the songs "Say Yes" and "Indenpendence Day." Both will probably be T50 when it comes time to submit my albums list for the poll.

#1 and #15 for me !
Even though my favourite songs in those albums are Waltz #2 and Between the Bars (my 2 favourite songs ever)
Supporting Elliott Smith is one more reason to pray for the return of Dumbangel !

This. That synth line that comes in at 2:21 is just magical.

Nassim
Jackson

#1 and #15 for me !
Even though my favourite songs in those albums are Waltz #2 and Between the Bars (my 2 favourite songs ever)
Supporting Elliott Smith is one more reason to pray for the return of Dumbangel !

Those are actually my second favorite songs on each album. Either/Or is getting close to top 10 territory for me. I assume we'll be able to get it in the top 50 at least when the album poll comes around.

TIM
fair enough. Did PJ Harvey ever have an eatting disorder? I remember her getting really agrovated when an interviewer for some magazine brought up how thin she was. She made Fiona Apple look like Beth Ditto.

I don't know, but I know that a lot of skinny girls are pretty tired of people wondering if they have eating disorders. There seems to be an acceptance to comment on thin peoples bodies in a negative manner. No journalist would tell Beth Ditto she needed to lose weight, or ask if she was binging food.

Crazy Rhythms by the Feelies. Wow, an album hasn't but a smile this big on my face after just one listen (actually still two tracks to go) for quite a while.
I,m so glad its been reissued.

I'm listening to "Album" by Girls and it kicks ass!

Didn't like it on first listen, but after a third listen that one's really grown on me. Not quite as good as the hype, but still a good album nonetheless.

Just got a bunch of P-Funk. I already had the essential ones, but now I'm going through the back catalog. To go with that, I've been listening to alot of G-Funk.

Living in San Francisco, i was lucky enough to see Girls live for free at Amoeba a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, I'm getting into Lofty Pillars' Amsterdam, despite a few songs sounding too much like Dylan. But is that really a knock against the songs?

Three 2009 recomendations, it means you should realy listen this stuff, only albuns released this year; two metal albuns and one prog rock album.

The metal albuns:

- Guilt Machine - On This Perfect Day (progressive metal, dense music, i love it).

- Diablo Swing Orchestra - Sing-Along Songs For The Damned & Delirious (Avant-garde metal, you surely never heard something like this, incredible fusion of genres: tango, samba...)

The Prog albun

- Porcupine Tree - The Incident (surely some of you know Porcupine Tree, great prog rock band, not their best album, but surely a impressive piece of art, conceptual album to be heard without break).

Even if you don't realy don't like metal try just these albuns, not easy albuns to get in, but it worth while, only new stuff.

"Brothersport" by Animal Collective.

One of the greatest outro hooks of all time. They could've made it 40 minutes long and it wouldn't get old.