Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best time for the next album poll : let's vote !

I'll have the pleasure to host and manage the next AM all-time album poll

I first intended to do it in january, but then I realized it was a very busy month, according to the the schedule below :

oct 09 : 1978 poll
nov 09 : 1979
dec 09 : 1970s final poll
jan 10 : 2009 poll and (possibly) 50s and 60s poll

So the question is

In what month do you think the coming all-time albums poll should take place ?

1. october 1-31 2009 (results the following month)
2. nov 1-30 2009
3. dec 1-31 2009
4. jan 1-31 2010

Please vote before sept 25

As in 2007, the album poll will not include compilations.

I guess I'll keep the same point system, unless someone provides a better one (I'm not good at that);

I'm also thinking of extending the number of albums which will be taken into account to 200 or 250.
100 is very few in my opinion, and if I look at my all-time list, the first 250 are really relevant.

Thanks in advance muchachos for your participation

Re: Best time for the next album poll : let's vote !

My 100 albums list is ready whenever you want it !
If it is a 200 albums list I will need to wait until November I guess.

I'm down with whatever is decided. My lists are more or less ready and I can update them as necessary prior to any deadline!

I suppose I should take this opportunity to ask about who is running a similar songs and artists poll. I believe I was on deck again for the artists poll, although I'd be happy to let someone else have a turn.

Sorry for acting as the wet blanket but if we do an album poll every 2 years (we did it in 2005 and in 2007) and we don’t get a radical increase of participants all of our final lists are going to look more or less the same. So my vote goes to… 2011!! Or even 2012, 5 years after the last, although it may seem an eternity for all you youngsters.

I guess there are newcomers who'd love to participate

So, please, anybody who's interested, please vote and advertise the poll everywhere

I didn't participate last time, but I would love to this time. Anytime would be fine (all of us probably have our lists lined up anyway).

Honorio
Sorry for acting as the wet blanket but if we do an album poll every 2 years (we did it in 2005 and in 2007) and we don’t get a radical increase of participants all of our final lists are going to look more or less the same. So my vote goes to… 2011!! Or even 2012, 5 years after the last, although it may seem an eternity for all you youngsters.

Go look at the people who voted in the 2007 poll. I don't know alot of those names, and I've just gotten here in the past year.

Anytime is good for me, start now and turn em in next month would be fun...

I have my top 250 albums list ready to go, and I'm pretty sure of all it's rankings. I'd like to go either October or November, but the sooner the better.

VanillaFire1000
Go look at the people who voted in the 2007 poll. I don't know alot of those names, and I've just gotten here in the past year.

Mmm, VanillaFire1000, let’s see if you’re right.
If we look at the individual lists of the 2007 album poll we will find 46 people that participated (plus 3 more that sent their lists late). I’m going to reorder them in groups (and sorry if I forgot or mix someone…):

a) Regulars (people active at least in one forum game during 2009):
- Neoptolemos a.k.a. Stephan: after a very active 2008 ruling the 80s poll you seem busy but outside the forum, aren’t you? Anyway you participated in the 2009 poll, the movie poll and maybe in more games.
- Miguel, you’re participating on the 70s poll and… what happened with the movie poll?
- Jonah, active almost everywhere including 70s poll, moderately and new bracketology.
- Anthony, after a long absence he has returned for his favourite game, bracketology.
- netjade, of course, our beloved nj, (hyper)active in 70s poll and moderately poll and hosting new games as the movie poll or the I’m with stupid (what happened with that? I was in #1 last time).
- BillAdama, another hyperactive poster, participating in every game (except in HOA) and hosting the Moderately Acclaimed Album poll.
- Honorio, trying to participate in as many games as I can (but sadly not being able to participate in the movie poll and the new bracketology).
- schleuse, the mad scientist always inventing new games and participating in them (HOA and Bracketology right now).
- LonesomePanda a.k.a. Nassim, active in every game (except in the movie poll) and moreover hosting the 70s poll. And you even got time to visit Spain this summer. Hope you enjoyed it.
- otisredding, participating in the 70s poll and as a searcher of end-of-year lists. ¿Cómo estás, tío?
- Michel, participating in the 70s poll, the movie poll, the moderately… (and with that valuable information about late Bashung, thanks).
- DrDre a.k.a. André: not as active this 2009 as in previous years but anyway you hosted (wonderfully) the 2009 poll and you are voting for the 70s poll.
- Moonbeam, what can I say? You are not only the pioneer and you are still participating in EVERY game but you even have time to write now and then wonderful threads about your favourites, as the great threads about Annie or Eurhythmics.
- Snusmumrik: active in the 70s poll and I’m not sure if in other games too.
- Schwah: he participated in HOA and 70s poll but not lately if I remember well. Your three Schwanettes are giving you extra work, I suppose.
- Midaso, participating from New Zealand on a lot of games, including bracketology or 70s poll.
- John, of course, participating in almost every game of the Forum and hosting during 2008 that wonderful Beatles Survivor.
- pop elton, participating in almost every game too, bracketology, 70s poll, moderately, movies,…
- Loophole a.k.a. Paul: participating in HOA and hosting his own great blog but having a crisis recently. Don’t give up, Paul, we love you…
- Henrik: our beloved web-master that despite his busy schedule with the updates is able to participate in many games (I love your lists for the 70s polls, man!)
- Superfurry: a regular of the 70s poll, not so much in other games
- sonofsamiam, of course. You haven’t participated in 2 years or so but fortunately you’re back and participating in every game except HOA. Fortunately, I repeat, your lists are always excellent, sir.
- nicolas, our roots expert: one day you must tell me the secret of having your excellent own blog and being able to participate in so many games.
- Rocky Raccoon got back to his room only to find Gideon’s bible. A regular on the 70s poll.
- Harold Wexler, our collector owner of music geek’s paradise and participant on EVERY game of the Forum. If I’m not wrong you’re the only one doing this (with Moonbeam, of course).
- Georgie a.k.a. Jorgito: of course, participating in 70s poll, movie poll and others games. A lot of Steely Dan in the top 10 of the 70s poll, great, isn’t it?
- Greg, another regular on every game, including HOA, bracketology, 70s, moderately, etc. So you’re the third one with Moonbeam and HW, aren’t you?
- Chris, participating on the 70s poll, isn’t it?
- Rune, active on almost every game too, except the 70s poll. Don’t you like 70s?
- Mitchell Stirling: he has participated on every yearly poll, including the 70s and on every album and song poll too.

b) Occasional customers (people not very active during 2009):
- Jacek, our Polish friend that hosted the 2005 poll returned to the forum only for that 2007 poll. Greetings, Jacek, are you still a reader?
- jommarck, the other Canadian left the forum in an angry way and only returned for a very peculiar list for the movie poll. Come on, we can still be friends…
- twister, sorry but I don’t remember of you participating lately…
- EdAmes, the creator of many funny jokes, maybe not active till Survivor (but maybe I’m wrong).
- Vgrd, I think you stopped participating in the middle of the 70s poll (and you’re one of the favourites of a certain girl, you better come back).
- Rendle, maybe I’m wrong but is it possible that you haven’t participate since the 90s poll and the 2007 albums poll?
- Giuseppe, our Italian friend that it’s coming to the forum less and less. Sadly, I would join you in voting Genesis for the 70s poll, the prog-rock is severely underrepresented in our poll.
- Daniel, apart of creating that wonderful Pet Sounds cover, I think you’re not showing up that frequently.
- Dumbangel, our beloved pop connoisseur, is participating in less and less games. Anyway, why don’t you come back at least for posting more of these pure pop delights?
- Slush: hey, man, we let you last time in Washington DC if I remember well. I suppose you’re busy now, maybe you need to come back to Granada to relax a little. And to AM Forum!!
- David a.k.a. ddoredd: our Mexican friend, I think you’re participating less than before, what about your band?
- Mo: have you participated during 2009? I’m not sure…
- Toni (and Zé): not sure, but after the 80s poll you’re not showing up frequently.
- Stammer, if I remember well, nothing during 2009. Am I wrong?
-
c) One-Night-Stand (people that possibly only participated in that particular poll, I don’t remember any of you participating after 2007 but maybe I’m wrong, sorry if it’s not the case):
- They Call Me The Swede.
- Weezy.
- Juan
- jem
- Mike
- Mark
- marc

So, if we exclude those 20 people (but of course all of you are invited!!!) there are 29 regulars that will participate for sure. The new generations can join too, so we could have another 21:
- Matt Schroeder
- Alex D.
- Klauw
- Fred
- SR
- Charlie Driggs
- mindrocker
- VanillaFire1000
- Nick
- brose
- Greg Rumpf
- Beef Supreme
- Moeboid
- Michael
- Jackson
- Penguin
- Jonathon
- Lanka
- The Lone Gunmen
- Mike Kelly
- Beans
- Kevin

So the difference is not so important, as you could perfectly see. Some different names but more or less the same number of participants. Unless some of the people of the b) and c) groups want to join again after reading this. Hey, boys, I don’t want to put some pressure but wouldn’t it be nice to be together / in the kind of world where we belong / wouldn’t it be nice?.

And what about the ones that participated in the 2005 poll but not on the 2007 one, like Alex Santee, Dan O’Brien, Denis Filion, Dexternico, Howlin’ Andrew, Jason, JR (come on, JR!), Kuba, Mark Propp, Mauricio Cadena, Michel Floch, Nescio or Tremolo?
By the way, Tremolo, come back soon, I know a girl on this forum that is missing you (and be quick, lately she’s interchanging compliments with mindrocker!!)

Honorio
VanillaFire1000

Mmm, VanillaFire1000, let’s see if you’re right.
If we look at the individual lists of the 2007 album poll we will find 46 people that participated (plus 3 more that sent their lists late). I’m going to reorder them in groups (and sorry if I forgot or mix someone…):

a) Regulars (people active at least in one forum game during 2009):
- Neoptolemos a.k.a. Stephan: after a very active 2008 ruling the 80s poll you seem busy but outside the forum, aren’t you? Anyway you participated in the 2009 poll, the movie poll and maybe in more games.
- Miguel, you’re participating on the 70s poll and… what happened with the movie poll?
- Jonah, active almost everywhere including 70s poll, moderately and new bracketology.
- Anthony, after a long absence he has returned for his favourite game, bracketology.
- netjade, of course, our beloved nj, (hyper)active in 70s poll and moderately poll and hosting new games as the movie poll or the I’m with stupid (what happened with that? I was in #1 last time).
- BillAdama, another hyperactive poster, participating in every game (except in HOA) and hosting the Moderately Acclaimed Album poll.
- Honorio, trying to participate in as many games as I can (but sadly not being able to participate in the movie poll and the new bracketology).
- schleuse, the mad scientist always inventing new games and participating in them (HOA and Bracketology right now).
- LonesomePanda a.k.a. Nassim, active in every game (except in the movie poll) and moreover hosting the 70s poll. And you even got time to visit Spain this summer. Hope you enjoyed it.
- otisredding, participating in the 70s poll and as a searcher of end-of-year lists. ¿Cómo estás, tío?
- Michel, participating in the 70s poll, the movie poll, the moderately… (and with that valuable information about late Bashung, thanks).
- DrDre a.k.a. André: not as active this 2009 as in previous years but anyway you hosted (wonderfully) the 2009 poll and you are voting for the 70s poll.
- Moonbeam, what can I say? You are not only the pioneer and you are still participating in EVERY game but you even have time to write now and then wonderful threads about your favourites, as the great threads about Annie or Eurhythmics.
- Snusmumrik: active in the 70s poll and I’m not sure if in other games too.
- Schwah: he participated in HOA and 70s poll but not lately if I remember well. Your three Schwanettes are giving you extra work, I suppose.
- Midaso, participating from New Zealand on a lot of games, including bracketology or 70s poll.
- John, of course, participating in almost every game of the Forum and hosting during 2008 that wonderful Beatles Survivor.
- pop elton, participating in almost every game too, bracketology, 70s poll, moderately, movies,…
- Loophole a.k.a. Paul: participating in HOA and hosting his own great blog but having a crisis recently. Don’t give up, Paul, we love you…
- Henrik: our beloved web-master that despite his busy schedule with the updates is able to participate in many games (I love your lists for the 70s polls, man!)
- Superfurry: a regular of the 70s poll, not so much in other games
- sonofsamiam, of course. You haven’t participated in 2 years or so but fortunately you’re back and participating in every game except HOA. Fortunately, I repeat, your lists are always excellent, sir.
- nicolas, our roots expert: one day you must tell me the secret of having your excellent own blog and being able to participate in so many games.
- Rocky Raccoon got back to his room only to find Gideon’s bible. A regular on the 70s poll.
- Harold Wexler, our collector owner of music geek’s paradise and participant on EVERY game of the Forum. If I’m not wrong you’re the only one doing this (with Moonbeam, of course).
- Georgie a.k.a. Jorgito: of course, participating in 70s poll, movie poll and others games. A lot of Steely Dan in the top 10 of the 70s poll, great, isn’t it?
- Greg, another regular on every game, including HOA, bracketology, 70s, moderately, etc. So you’re the third one with Moonbeam and HW, aren’t you?
- Chris, participating on the 70s poll, isn’t it?
- Rune, active on almost every game too, except the 70s poll. Don’t you like 70s?
- Mitchell Stirling: he has participated on every yearly poll, including the 70s and on every album and song poll too.

b) Occasional customers (people not very active during 2009):
- Jacek, our Polish friend that hosted the 2005 poll returned to the forum only for that 2007 poll. Greetings, Jacek, are you still a reader?
- jommarck, the other Canadian left the forum in an angry way and only returned for a very peculiar list for the movie poll. Come on, we can still be friends…
- twister, sorry but I don’t remember of you participating lately…
- EdAmes, the creator of many funny jokes, maybe not active till Survivor (but maybe I’m wrong).
- Vgrd, I think you stopped participating in the middle of the 70s poll (and you’re one of the favourites of a certain girl, you better come back).
- Rendle, maybe I’m wrong but is it possible that you haven’t participate since the 90s poll and the 2007 albums poll?
- Giuseppe, our Italian friend that it’s coming to the forum less and less. Sadly, I would join you in voting Genesis for the 70s poll, the prog-rock is severely underrepresented in our poll.
- Daniel, apart of creating that wonderful Pet Sounds cover, I think you’re not showing up that frequently.
- Dumbangel, our beloved pop connoisseur, is participating in less and less games. Anyway, why don’t you come back at least for posting more of these pure pop delights?
- Slush: hey, man, we let you last time in Washington DC if I remember well. I suppose you’re busy now, maybe you need to come back to Granada to relax a little. And to AM Forum!!
- David a.k.a. ddoredd: our Mexican friend, I think you’re participating less than before, what about your band?
- Mo: have you participated during 2009? I’m not sure…
- Toni (and Zé): not sure, but after the 80s poll you’re not showing up frequently.
- Stammer, if I remember well, nothing during 2009. Am I wrong?
-
c) One-Night-Stand (people that possibly only participated in that particular poll, I don’t remember any of you participating after 2007 but maybe I’m wrong, sorry if it’s not the case):
- They Call Me The Swede.
- Weezy.
- Juan
- jem
- Mike
- Mark
- marc

So, if we exclude those 20 people (but of course all of you are invited!!!) there are 29 regulars that will participate for sure. The new generations can join too, so we could have another 21:
- Matt Schroeder
- Alex D.
- Klauw
- Fred
- SR
- Charlie Driggs
- mindrocker
- VanillaFire1000
- Nick
- brose
- Greg Rumpf
- Beef Supreme
- Moeboid
- Michael
- Jackson
- Penguin
- Jonathon
- Lanka
- The Lone Gunmen
- Mike Kelly
- Beans
- Kevin

So the difference is not so important, as you could perfectly see. Some different names but more or less the same number of participants. Unless some of the people of the b) and c) groups want to join again after reading this. Hey, boys, I don’t want to put some pressure but wouldn’t it be nice to be together / in the kind of world where we belong / wouldn’t it be nice?.

And what about the ones that participated in the 2005 poll but not on the 2007 one, like Alex Santee, Dan O’Brien, Denis Filion, Dexternico, Howlin’ Andrew, Jason, JR (come on, JR!), Kuba, Mark Propp, Mauricio Cadena, Michel Floch, Nescio or Tremolo?
By the way, Tremolo, come back soon, I know a girl on this forum that is missing you (and be quick, lately she’s interchanging compliments with mindrocker!!)

I nominate this as post of the year! What a great family we are!

I'll be voting but in the songs poll. I don't have enough albums.

Honorio

It was great indeed, Barcelona is a wonderful city, both to visit and to live (I guess).
Barcelona and Benicassim aren't really the best places to take some rest so I came back from holidays more tired than ever, the following weeks at work have been quite tough but it was worth it.

Btw I have also visited New-York, Montréal and London this year + some parts of France I didn't know before, such as "Les Vosges"... no wonder why I don't have enough money to pay my taxes...

Moonbeam

+1, even though I'm astonished to see that some of us can remember so much more about everyone.

I was surprised to see newcomers coming to vote for one of the polls of the 70s and never come back after that... I guess it happens more than I thought but I did not realised it before hosting a poll myself.

Taking about the dates of the album poll, I can understand that some people feel that it is too soon since the last one was quite recent and that they have been developping their musical knowledge for a longer time than I do.
But I have discovered A LOT of music this past 2 years (mostly thanks to this forum) and it has had a lot of impact in my top albums, so I don't really feel like playing the same game (even my 90s poll lists would be totally different now). Last time the list was more or less "the 100 albums I listen to in a regular basis", now there really are 100 albums I love and want to fight for on a poll.
Anyway, I hope no newcomers will have more 00s albums than I do, it's my trademark here (79 00s albums in my top 150, 5 from the 70s... hosting the 70s poll does not really rise my interest in it, even though it seems that some 77-79 albums are going to enter my list... I just don't like 73-76 at all... )

i'm one of those newcomers on that list and i would LOVE to have the poll as soon as possible. my list is already ready as well so i would very much prefer october but i could wait too because i still have a lot of albums lined up to buy.

Great post Honorio!

I vote the 1.st option (poll in October). After our last poll I have heard more than 500 new albums. So my lists have changed at least a bit.

Wonderful post, Honorio!

If there's not a lot of newcomers in our poll, I'm the one to blame, as I'm not very good at advertising our polls on the AM home page.

Would anyone be interested in making such an "ad" for the all-time albums poll? Perhaps even be responsible for regular updates of what goes on in the forum? It's not a huge task, but I prefer working on the site updates, so I would be very grateful for some help here as well.

Moonbeam

Many thanks, Moonbeam… And yes, we are a great family. And there are many more, I used the polls as a source but there are active posters (tim or Sean Pak are the first ones that come to my mind) that don’t participate in the polls but usually provide many comments and threads…

Wow!!! I second Moonbeam about Honorio's post! This is one of the things that makes this my #1 favorite site ever!

It's a pity that I'm not being able to participate much here since maybe March or April: I'm finishing college now, and am preparing for the exams for what we call "residencia" in about 1 month and a half from now (oh, no, it's almost there!). Continue reading all the threads, but no time to reply or participate in games...

But anyways I've been currently updating my all time favorite albums list for the poll, and will surely participate in this! A personal list of 100 albums would be enough for me, cause if I make one with 250 I'll have to put some average material... But, like in nicolas' case, many of you would find hard to cut the lists to only 100, so maybe we could accept lists form 100 to 250 albums!

Depeche Mode
I'll be voting but in the songs poll.

Nice, so it means we must have some more Blur in our songs list!heheh

great post, Honorio !

So for the moment there's a big majority for octobrt

Keep on posting !

Ya, I am a one-night stand guy... And Ill be back for the next albums poll :)

I voted in the 2007 poll, but I might as well be a different person this time around, because my picks will be substantially different (assuming I find time to do it correctly). Thanks partly to this site, I've discovered a lot of "new" music since then and changed my mind about some old favorites.

If it's an album poll, I'm afraid I may have to respectfully decline participation. I just don't feel comfortable voting on albums, when I just haven't listened to very many. Er... very many AM-respected albums. A song poll would be a better bet for me, as that's more my forte.

Matt Schroeder
If it's an album poll, I'm afraid I may have to respectfully decline participation. I just don't feel comfortable voting on albums, when I just haven't listened to very many. Er... very many AM-respected albums. A song poll would be a better bet for me, as that's more my forte.

Hey- Don't feel any pressure to influence your list based on AM favorites- one of the best things about these polls is highlighting the diversity of this forum and discovering gems that many others don't list. I'm not going to try to coerce you into voting, but I'd love to see your list, however AM-unfriendly it may be!

“In what month do you think the coming all-time albums poll should take place ? “

2. nov 1-30 2009

“Miguel, you’re participating on the 70s poll and… what happened with the movie poll?”

Well, I actually participated in the movie poll: I sent my list the last day of term, but with a document display error. Then I sent it again correctly, but after the deadline.

“Dumbangel, our beloved pop connoisseur, is participating in less and less games. Anyway, why don’t you come back at least for posting more of these pure pop delights?”

I know I'm a selfish, but I'm especially interested in the return of Dumbangel, because in this way, Greg Rumpf and I would not be voting alone albums and songs by The Beach Boys.

BTW: It would be great if Damosuzuki participate in this poll.

I'm defintely going to participate in the albums poll. My list isn't exactly ready, but I would be willing to vote anytime (the sooner the better, as far as I'm concerned).

But it's the songs poll that I'm really excited for, as the 05 and 08 song polls helped introduce me to many of my current all-time favorite songs, and I honestly think those are the two best all-time song lists I've ever seen. Honestly, if someone provided me with a points system, I would be more than willing to host the poll and tabulate the results.

I'm up for voting anyway, anyhow, anywhere! (And anytime, too.)

(Actually, I'm much more interested in the next songs list, as there's so much more to choose from there I'm guessing the results will be more variable. And maybe we'll get a new #1?)

Wonderful post Honorio. I would definitely be in favour of an October poll. I,m hoping (vowing) to have a piece of site update work finished for Henrik by the end of this month. Its taking up a fair bit of my free time right now along with a return to running training after a 9 month injury lay off. I,ve got 10 days holidays in October (amsterdam, brussels and berlin) if anyone is wondering and then hopefully, fresh as a daisy, I will be able to launch into my list.

I suppose I could have a list ready by the end of October, if I hunkered down and really sorted it out, but I would prefer November.

Big majority for october

any other votes ?

Final decision in 5 days, friday sept 25th

I vote for October.

October is good for me.

Penguin
October is good for me.

btw, can anyone remind me which points calculation system is used for these big polls ?