The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New SMM theme : Beatles covers

Hi !

This week's theme at Star Maker Machine (a collective musical blog for which I post)

Beatles Covers: Post songs originally recorded by the Beatles

I need your help and am waiting for your suggestions !

Re: New SMM theme : Beatles covers

Well, the first one that came to my mind was Joe Cocker's titanic "With a Little Help from My Friends," largely because I'm in a Woodstock frame of mind. Cocker also managed to make an actual full-length song out of the ABBEY ROAD medley track "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window"

Siouxsie and the Banshees covered "Helter Skelter" on THE SCREAM, and did it in a way that made it fit right in with their own songs. (Their version is certainly a hell of a lot better than the one on RATTLE AND HUM.)

I've referenced this before on the forum, but my favorite Beatles cover is a comedy record: Peter Sellers's DR. STRANGELOVE-flavored version of "She Loves You", produced by none other than George Martin himself. Sellers recasts the song as a conversation between his Strangelove persona and a lovelorn Nazi officer, with hilariously sinister interjections:

"She said you HURT her so..."
"Goot!"
"She almost lost her mind..."
"Goot! Ist goot!"
"But now she says she knows zat you're not the HURTING kind."
"I AM!!!"
"She says she LUFFS you!"
"Ya?"
"Ya. Ya. She LUFFS you."
"YA?"
"Ya. Ya."

Doesn't get much better than that.

Check out this discussion.

There were plenty on "Sam I am Sam" soundtrack and some were pretty good.
I especially liked Revolution by Grandaddy, strangely bittersweet.

And as I can not cross any topic of this forum without talking about Elliott Smith, he has made a great cover of Because on the soundtrack of American Beauty.

Fiona Apple's take on "Across the Universe" from Pleasantville was pretty good.

I agree with Elliott Smith, but otherwise I can't think of any covers worth repeating...