Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Catching up with Annie

One of my favorite musical discoveries of the decade was Norwegian sensation Annie, whose debut album Anniemal still ranks among my top 5 albums of the decade and whose uplifting messages triumphing over tragedy and filtered through some of the best pop music ever recorded helped me get through some rough times. Since then, however, she hasn't released a proper follow-up album due to label disputes. There have been singles here and there ("Wedding", "The Crush"), but it seems that Annie is ready to storm back into the public consciousness with Don't Stop.

This album has been a long time in the making. The original version was due to be released on Island records last year, led off by the snappy single "I Know Ur Girlfriend Hates Me". Everything seemed to be peachy keen, with a mutual interview with Sam Sparro comissioned as well as an album megamix, sending fans into a frenzy! A live duet with Sam Sparro performing a mash-up of his hit "Black and Gold" and her indie favorite "Heartbeat" only heightened the excitement.

A video competition was held in which the creator of the winning submission was to be included in the video for follow-up single "My Love Is Better", featuring Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand fame on guitar. However, the competition fizzled out without any real response. Then came a fabulous cover of Stacey Q's "Two of Hearts" to whet our appetites while we waited. It became clear that the planned release was not happening, and the year ended with fans worried that Don't Stop (or any album, for that matter) may never emerge. Indeed, Annie was dropped by Island.

However, in spite of all of the drawbacks, 2009 looks set to be a good year for Miss Strand. Finding an independent label (Pleasure Masters) who understood Annie's unique angle. May brought her best single since the Anniemal days in the brilliant dance track "Anthonio", which infused a melancholy resonance in the midst of the swirling synths, as she depicts the tale of a fleeting romance gone sour as her lothario left her without any communication but with a baby in tow.

That last line has to be one of the most stunning to come out of 2009. Even more stunning, however, is that the real subject of the song released an answer record on the same label. This truly bizarre set of twin singles strikes me as nothing short of genius.

The single reignited critical interest in Annie, and she finished off work on the new version of Don't Stop, which is now due for release on October 19th in the UK and November 17th in the US, led off by the brilliant single "Songs Remind Me of You", which features one of the BEST bridges I've heard in a pop song in a long, long time, before launching into a truly epic dancefloor-stomper of a chorus. Judge for yourself!

Here's the new tracklist for the album:

1. Hey Annie
2. My Love Is Better
3. Bad Times
4. Don't Stop
5. I Don't Like Your Band
6. Songs Remind Me of You
7. Marie Cherie
8. Take You Home
9. The Breakfast Song
10. Loco
11. When the Night
12. Heaven and Hell

Gone are "Sweet", "I Know Ur Girlfriend Hates Me" and "I Can't Let Go". A tour is in the making, and Annie is recording the follow-up record to Don't Stop as well!

Re: Catching up with Annie

that zertain point thumzing continuously tells me to pity me poor hazelnut_irissed Tracy... but then again... no, not really, not by a million jupiter moongleams all across these former clumsy lines.. Mr. Runners's quest for northern lights merely keeps us dancing in both of their shades..

I held off from listening to the leak because I heard it stunk and I didn't want to ruin the songs for myself before they were actually finished. Was it really bad? I tend to try as hard as I can to not hear songs before I can listen to the whole album.

I haven't listened to the leak of Don't Stop, but I have heard a few songs that she streamed on her Myspace page- the brilliant "Marie Cherie" and the peppy "My Love Is Better".

If any of the songs are as good as Heartbeat, I'll be sure to check it out. Also, the cover is very good.

Anthonio: song of the year for me. Thanks a lot, Moonbeam.

Honorio
Anthonio: song of the year for me. Thanks a lot, Moonbeam.

Hooray! It really is astonishing.