Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EOD lists effect on top albums of the 00s

Where will the current top 10 albums of this decade find themselves after all the end of the decade lists are tallied?

I'll post the current number followed by an arrow, and the number I think the album will move upto.

01. The Strokes- Is This It (62)
02. The White Stripes- Elephant (92)
03. Franz Ferdinand- S/T (108)
04. Arcade Fire- Funeral (112)
05. Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (125)
06. OutKast- Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below (127)
07. Sufjan Stevens- Illinois (129)
08. TV on the Radio- Return to Cookie Mountain (131)
09. Radiohead- Kid A (133)
10. The White Stripes- White Blood Cells (156)

I'm of the belief that basically all of these albums will go up a level; I see Is This It breaking the top 50, Elephant the Top 75, and all the rest (save maybe White Blood Cells) have a chance at breaking the top 100.

Re: EOD lists effect on top albums of the 00s

01. The Strokes- Is This It
(around 50)
02. The White Stripes- Elephant (92)
(around 60)
03. Franz Ferdinand- S/T (108)
(around 90)
04. Arcade Fire- Funeral (112)
(around 70)
05. Wilco- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (125)
(around 80)
06. OutKast- Speakerboxxx/ The Love Below (127)
(around 90)
07. Sufjan Stevens- Illinois (129)
(around 80)
08. TV on the Radio- Return to Cookie Mountain (131)
(around 80)
09. Radiohead- Kid A (133)
(around 60)
10. The White Stripes- White Blood Cells (156)
(around 100)

I see Kid A rising really quickly due to the EOD lists.

I'm almost of the opinion Kid A could wind up the top of the decade; a lot of the anti-Kid A sentiment that swept over about 1/3rd of the critical community is gone.

On the flip-side I could see Is This It, Franz Ferdinand's debut and Sufjan's Illinoise not advancing as much due to the way their work after that album has been perceived; we'll have to wait and see though.

i agree with Is This It and FF not showing up too highly in EOD lists cause, however fun and good they are, they really didn't do anything that inventive musically. Illinois i really hope will do well because the songs are so beautiful

I have a feeling Funeral, Kid A, and Is This It will all be in the T50. EOD lists will be very kind to Funeral and Kid A, while Is This It will get enough of the boost it needs. Also lets not forget that 08 and 09 records will be included. Considering the incredibly high praise MPP has received I wouldn't be surprised if it debuted in the T100, and then gained even more traction.

I think of the current AM T10 the record that will fare the worst will be Franz Ferdinand. Now that was a hyped up band. I still listen to The Strokes.

I'm hoping Yankee Hotel Foxtrot gets a huge boost. I've been rooting for Wilco to break the top 50 album artists for a long time (they're currently 52.) If YHF goes up enough, they could make the top 40 album artist (of course they'll still be #8 million singles artist

SR
I have a feeling Funeral, Kid A, and Is This It will all be in the T50. EOD lists will be very kind to Funeral and Kid A, while Is This It will get enough of the boost it needs. Also lets not forget that 08 and 09 records will be included. Considering the incredibly high praise MPP has received I wouldn't be surprised if it debuted in the T100, and then gained even more traction.

I think of the current AM T10 the record that will fare the worst will be Franz Ferdinand. Now that was a hyped up band. I still listen to The Strokes.

SR, I'm not sure if Funeral and Kid A can make the jump to top 50, but we'll see.

Is This It will probably have a very small jump, but it won't take much to put that album in the top 50, so the jump will be enough.

I think current stature will affect the rankings a lot. YHF, Funeral and Franz all got relatively the same acclaim (All falling within the same range) but Wilco and The Arcade Fire have continued to win over critics and fans alike. Meanwhile, Franz's last album was kind of slammed, and they have trouble filling concert venues.

I actually expect Franz Ferdinand to lose ground, unfortunately. Theirs is my favorite album in the current top 10, too. The backlash against them is befuddling, to say the least. I do hope that Sound of Silver will benefit from the decade-end lists, and I feel that it will.

Moonbeam
I actually expect Franz Ferdinand to lose ground, unfortunately. Theirs is my favorite album in the current top 10, too. The backlash against them is befuddling, to say the least. I do hope that Sound of Silver will benefit from the decade-end lists, and I feel that it will.

Franz has been steadily losing ground for several updates. At one point, I believe it was #2 of the decade, and in the 70s. It's a great album, though it's maybe my least fav in the top 10.

I wouldnt be suprised to see Kid A top the top 25. Some publications will likely be to scared not to have Kid A high on there EOD lists. There will be some mags that will be bold and fight Kid A just so they can say they were different. The fact is though, Kid A is going to be on 98% of all lists, and high up to boot. All other great albums (Illinios, Return To Cookie Mountain, Funeral) from this decade will likely fall in the 80% range, thus given Kid A a huge boost over them. Is it that hard to believe that Kid A was just as critically acclaimed and important as OK Computer and Nevermind were to the 90's? We would all be blind if we didnt think Kid A will push for a high position

Of course Kid A will reach a high position. As of now though it's 21 spots behind Funeral. I expect the EOD lists to favor Kid A over Funeral, however I think the difference will be slight enough so that the 21 spots aren't gained. Hypothetically lets say Funeral gets a boost of 60 spots and Kid A gets 70. That would leave us with

52. Funeral
63. Kid A

I don't think any of the albums from this decade are going to T25, at least not untill they get factored into more and more all-time lists. In 10 years I think it's likely that both Kid A and Funeral will be in the T25.

Wow, you're hoping for way too much to happen here...!

For the 00s albums to advance in general, the decade's albums need to be included in more all-time lists. The EOD lists will only have a lot of impact on the order of the 00s albums. For example, if Kid A will top almost every EOD list (I don't take this for granted though) it will advance at AM, while the other top 00s albums probably will drop as a consequence.

Oh. You mean decade lists wont cause much actual movement within the actual AM T100?

Henrik, I feel like you just told me santa isn't real. Oh well, I'll recover.

Henrik
Wow, you're hoping for way too much to happen here...!

For the 00s albums to advance in general, the decade's albums need to be included in more all-time lists. The EOD lists will only have a lot of impact on the order of the 00s albums. For example, if Kid A will top almost every EOD list (I don't take this for granted though) it will advance at AM, while the other top 00s albums probably will drop as a consequence.

Aren't the 00s albums weighted right now? so once you remove that weighting, a lot might actually drop back?

Jonathon, can you explain what you meant with weighted.

SR
Oh. You mean decade lists wont cause much actual movement within the actual AM T100?

Henrik, I feel like you just told me santa isn't real. Oh well, I'll recover.

I'm just saying that they won't all move in the same direction.

Henrik
Jonathon, can you explain what you meant with weighted.

Don't you weight 00s albums slightly to make up for lack of all-time/ decade end lists?

If I'm incorrect with this, it's my bad; But I thought you said something like that in the movies vs. music thread.

The EOD lists will not give more information on how this decade compares to previous decades, and hence the 00s albums will just move around (not up or down in general).

Yes Jonathon, since the quality of a year can not be based on just a couple of all-time lists, I adjust the all-time ranking for recent albums so that the top list of albums from year xxxx becomes more similar to it's previous years (in terms of the number of albums in the top 1000, top 2000, etc). But this has very little to do with the impact of the EOD lists.

I actually think Is This It is going to come down some. I've seen a lot of lists lately that omit it completely. And, after only eight years it already hasn't aged well. To me at least it's started to blend in with it's imitators.

I think Kid A is going to come in #1. Is This It may still hang onto #2, but Elephant and Funeral will give it tougher competition.

I dont think Is This It or Franz Ferdinand have age particulariy well and may suffer.

I see Kid A, YHF, Cookie Mountain and Funeral going up, Elephant staying the same, and Is This It and FF's S/T plummeting.

Henrik
The EOD lists will not give more information on how this decade compares to previous decades, and hence the 00s albums will just move around (not up or down in general).

nooooo! this makes me sad. hopefully a couple all-time lists are in the near future! (and not rolling stone's....)

Henrik

Yes Jonathon, since the quality of a year can not be based on just a couple of all-time lists, I adjust the all-time ranking for recent albums so that the top list of albums from year xxxx becomes more similar to it's previous years (in terms of the number of albums in the top 1000, top 2000, etc). But this has very little to do with the impact of the EOD lists.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Henrik, but I thought there was an altruistic "all decades are created eqaul" facet of your formula whereby lists from the same publication across different time periods are compared. So for instance, I thought your formula including something along the lines of Pitchfork's #7 album of the 00s gets more points than Pitchfork's #9 album of the 90s, and so forth. That way, if a decade is undervalued (such as the 00s), such a set of comparisons could indeed elevate the overall stature of 00s albums and songs.

If you click here you can find a neatly archived listing of AM updates and see where the albums ranked at various points in time. A quick glance shows albums like Funeral, Kid A and Stankonia have been on the way up while Franz Ferdinand, for example is moving down, along with most of the decade's albums in general.

last update, I think almost all 00s albums went down a bit. Stankonia actually dropped. It was in the top 200 before.