The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Most (Unintentionally) creepy songs

John Mayer - Daughters

He sings in that breathy voice about daughters becoming lovers and turning into mothers. If I ever have a daughter, I think I'd like to be notified if John Mayer moved into the area.

Uncle Kracker - Follow Me

"I'll be the one to tuck you in at night"
"You're better off if you don't ask why"
Not only does the song passive aggressively blame the woman's vague psychological symptoms for their relationship troubles, the whole feel is paternalistic and controlling. They're going to find a skeleton handcuffed to a pipe in Uncle Kracker's basement.

Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl

The song itself isn't so disturbing as the fact that she paid four Japanese women to follow her around not saying anything, as her 'muses'. ...The same woman who wrote Just A Girl.

The Police - Every Breath You Take

Self-explanatory

Backstreet Boys - Any of their songs, sung while over 30.

Re: Most (Unintentionally) creepy songs

That Clay Aiken song where he sings about if he were invisible. Visions of "Hollow Man"...

And I've always thought that "Sunday Morning" by the Velvets was a little unsettling. Because of how dark and unorthodox the subject matters of every other song on VU&N is, I always assumed there was some dark, hidden meaning to "Sunday Morning," and it creeped me out that I couldn't figure it out.

ok, not exactly a song..

Matt Schroeder
I always assumed there was some dark, hidden meaning to "Sunday Morning," and it creeped me out that I couldn't figure it out.

Seriously? The song is about waking up the sunday morning after a saturday night full of drug use. It's par for the course on the VU&N.

BillAdama
The Police - Every Breath You Take

Self-explanatory

I always thought the song was very much -intentionally- creepy. It was #1 in the U.S. for eight weeks because people mistook it for a love song, but that doesn't mean Sting didn't know exactly what he was doing.

SR
Matt Schroeder
I always assumed there was some dark, hidden meaning to "Sunday Morning," and it creeped me out that I couldn't figure it out.

Seriously? The song is about waking up the sunday morning after a saturday night full of drug use. It's par for the course on the VU&N.

(facepalm) Clearly I need to listen to the lyrics a little more carefully.

Gary Puckett and the Union Gap- Young Girl

John
Gary Puckett and the Union Gap- Young Girl

Oh God, yes. In fact, pretty much EVERY Gary Puckett song. I mean, "Lady Willpower" is basically a song about date rape.

This is the best I could come up with. (NOTE: Not recommended for people with eyes or ears).

Matt Schroeder
SR
Matt Schroeder

(facepalm) Clearly I need to listen to the lyrics a little more carefully.

I think the lyrics are vague enough that it could be about anything.

Alex D
This is the best I could come up with. (NOTE: Not recommended for people with eyes or ears).

I'm not sure about the unintentionality with this one either.

I'm on Fire

Springsteen's song (not the Dwight Twilley) doesn't seem very creepy, but as sung by Johnny Cash it is very different.

"Hey littl girl is your daddy home....
did he go away and leave you all alone
.. I've got bad desire
.. ughhhhh I'm on on fire"

Oh my God do the pedophilic overtones show through when sung by old Johnny.
I guess he's just a dirty old man - God bless his drunk heart

Hahha...this topic intrigues me. I actually have a word document file on my computer entitled "Songs That Are Actually Creepy." Even though it isn't a very long list, here's what I have:

Clay Aiken - "Invisible"
The Beatles - "Maxwell's Silver Hammer"
Chicago - "Make Me Smile"
The Police - "Every Breath You Take"

I love how Sonic Youth showed that the Carpenters' "Superstar" can be very creepy.

Here are some others:
James Blunt - "You're Beautiful"
The Doors - "Touch Me"
Michael Jackson - "Ben"

Speaking of Michael Jackson songs, that "I wanna love you, pretty young thing" line could be considered having a different meaning than it had at first.