Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Synth vs. Vocoder

Which do you find more annoying the 80s synthesizer or the late 2000s vocoder being used in every other manufactured pop song out there?

Re: Synth vs. Vocoder

Give me 80s synthesizers over acoustic fucking guitars any day.

i like both, but i like '80s synths much more

Vocoder, definitely. As you probably know, I'm quite a fan of 80s synth. I enjoy the vocoder to some extent too. It is totally overused these days, but I almost never listen to radio so it's not a problem for me.

Tim
Which do you find more annoying the 80s synthesizer or the late 2000s vocoder being used in every other manufactured pop song out there?

I'll go with vocoder although the only person I think of who really abused it is Roger Troutman (at times). I think what you probably really mean is the Autotune setting in ProTools (AKA "that T-Pain sound"). We have Cher to thank for that.

I actually mostly like 80s synth unless it's the really cheap Casio "effects" like the stuff you hear in the break on "Catch Me (I'm Falling)"...you know, the really fake sounding "barking dogs", etc.

hmmmmmmmmmmmm I'm not really sure. I'll have to say that I hate Auto-tune more, as it's just getting on my nerves so much. At least with the cheesy 80's synth sound SOME people managed to get it right, with auto-tune it seems nobody is able to.

bon iver has used autotune interestingly. it gets pretty cool towards the end.

Nick
hmmmmmmmmmmmm I'm not really sure. I'll have to say that I hate Auto-tune more, as it's just getting on my nerves so much. At least with the cheesy 80's synth sound SOME people managed to get it right, with auto-tune it seems nobody is able to.

If there is a hit song that will go down in 20 years as the good autotune song that paved the way for a whole lot of crap, I think it will be Snoop Dogg's Sensual Seduction. Whereas autotune makes everyone else sound worse it made Snoop better, plus there's a dose of retro 80's keyboards to boot.

You know it bad when someone with the voice the caliber of Mary J. Blige is using it. If you can actually sing there's no need to use this peice of junk to make you sound better.

By the time I got to the end of the thread, I had an idea what Vocoder was, but I hadn't heard the term before. Had to look it up on Wikipedia. But yeah; definitely Vocoder.

One thing I'm not following is that if auto tune has that distinctive "Believe" sound to it, how do artists use it to correct their voices? Different settings?