Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New set of polls?

As an AM forum junkie, I know that some of my most enjoyable times have come with the various polls that we have had on the site. Our last round of all-time polls (albums, songs and artists) were completed in the early months of 2008. I wanted to start a thread to gauge how much interest there would be in another round of polls, and if so, what the timing should be. I've come up with my own programs for ranking albums and songs (and therefore artists using Henrik's formula), and I'm eager to put it to use here!

I know Henrik mentioned that a movie poll would also be fair game, although I'm not sure of the details behind its timing, etc. By my calculations, Schleuse's great HOA game (if you haven't checked it out, you should!) will conclude in late August, and the moderately acclaimed albums poll might be done by then as well (correct me if I'm wrong). In that case, there won't be anything on the slate aside from the monthly 70s poll. In view of this and assuming sufficient interest, I propose that we could start the next round of all-time polls in September.

Of course, this is merely a suggestion, and I'm interested in hearing from those of you who have an opinion on the subject. We could also use this thread to determine who would administer these various polls. Last time, I did the songs poll and the artists poll. I'm happy to step back and give someone else a turn, but I'd be happy to do the artist poll again. In keeping with the tried-and-true method of surveying public opinion, I'll provide a simple format for you to make your voice heard!

1. Would you be interested in participating in an album poll?
2. Would you be interested in participating in a song poll?
3. Would you be interested in participating in an artist poll?
4. When should we start these?

Re: New set of polls?

Sure,I'd be interested.

Midaso
Sure,I'd be interested.

In all three? When should they start?

I'd like to do a moderately acclaimed songs poll. Not saying I'd run it, but I'd like to participate.

Of these three, I think the albums poll is the one that has had the longest time since we last did one so I'd vote for that. I think my top 100 has changed a little bit.

I'd really like a moderately acclaimed songs poll too (when the album poll is completed). As for the albums/songs/artists polls, I would always participate, but I don't feel any hurry.

Moderately acclaimed song could be funny indeed.
A new album poll would be great, I've discovered many personal favourite since the last poll which might have a weight on the final results.
I also have discovered plenty songs but I doubt they would have much impact on the final list... so I'd rather do the album poll ^^

Artist poll is quite recent so I don't think it would be really interesting.

I'll do it if it happens but it takes a LOOONG time for my tastes to shift enough to add new albums to my mental lists so this would probably be much like the last poll of this sort I did.

All-time song poll would be difficult but a lot of fun. Right now, my list hovers around 4000 songs I'd need to cut it down from.

I think I'd RATHER do the moderately acclaimed songs poll first though.

I'm sure my 20 will be the same as last time so I'm not terribly interested in this one.

4. When should we start these? September sounds good

1. Yes
2. No: I think that is the most recent previous poll
3. No
4. September 2009

I suggest that before the poll, has cradle campaign.

For example, each can promote AM'er considers 10 songs that we should know and appreciate. You could hang up the Youtube video. The idea is not to suggest songs you know but all those "moderately familiar" but that the developer believes that other voters might consider.

Incidentally, I have long wondered this: Is there a girl AM'er?

We were supposed to have a movie poll. I can host it, if no one else will.

Otisredding
Incidentally, I have long wondered this: Is there a girl AM'er?

Lambchop Is A Woman.

Kidding. Otis, I'm pretty sure netjade is of the female persuasion. She's the only regular female AM poster I'm aware of.

Rune
We were supposed to have a movie poll. I can host it, if no one else will.

Yeah, this should be the next poll. I forgot about that.

i'm w/ henrik - i'm down, but don't feel any hurry, and none of my lists has really changed that much. i would say songs should go first. or movies, if there's enough interest.

Many recent changes for me, particularly for songs, but I don't want to contribute to Board Poll Malaise.

My answers fwiw:

Yeah, sure

Absolutely

Not really

Anytime!

I think we've picked up enough new members (including myself) that we could do another albums/songs poll. Personally, I'd be most interested in doing an albums poll, but I'd also be games for songs. Also, I'd be game for artists, if for no reason other than to bolster this site's ranking of Jimi Hendrix. I'm good for a poll whenever, though I might need a month-ish to get a revised list in.

My knowledge of acclaimed movies is far too low for me to participate in a movie poll though.

I would be up for an albums poll!

Moonbeam
Midaso
Sure,I'd be interested.

In all three? When should they start?

Yeah - all three and September as you suggested would be fine...

I'd be out of a movies poll though - I could barely do a top ten,so few movies I've seen that have stayed with me...

I only just discovered this website. I would like any of these polls.

Gotta go with albums first. I'd like to start as soon as possible too

Album poll ASAP please!

also movie poll would be fun too!

My only hesitation to do an albums poll is I think there should probably be a little more time spaced between them. But, we're definitely due for one soon.

My thoughts on the moderately acclaimed songs poll idea: It's a good idea, but the songs lower down on the list aren't nearly as ignored as he albums lower down on the list. The reason I wanted to do the albums poll is that it makes you think about albums you don't usually think about. I'm not sure you can get low enough on the songs list for that to be the case.

For a movie poll, I'd participate but I don't feel I've seen enough of the classics to really make an informed list. A lot of the classics I have seen I find overrated, so my list would be very 'art film in the last few years' oriented.

Speaking of polls, that ranking helper program I wanted to webify, I did manage to make the final project for my web programming course. It's due on Monday and I plan to have the main functionality done by Friday so I can fine tune it and add features over the weekend. I might ask you guys to help me test it.

(I plan to have a permanent version up a little later, I just need to get MySQL on my own web page and figure out if my hosting service handles PHP and Javascript)

Near term the movie poll and '70s are all that I'd really have time for. Netjade had said about hosting the movie poll, but that was back in January and it kept getting pushed back. So I definitely think you should take over the movie poll, Rune.

According to this old thread , there should have been an album poll in March, managed by Andre, but we lost Andre.

Andre, where are you ?

btw, I'm interested to do an album poll anytime

Songs and artist poll : not interested

I must say that I really like Henrik's formula for ranking artists. I plugged it into my program, and the results were eye-opening and seemed to be quite right.

i think i'm ready to attempt a top 100 albums list. would prefer to wait at least until i own the entire AM top 100 and preferably the whole top 200. might take me a few months, but don't wait for me, i'll just submit an unfair list

All right, I'm putting this on top.

I've looked at the thread and it seems that the idea of an album poll is by far the most popular, followed by movies and then songs.

i'm leaving out the moderately acclaimed songs because I think it could be done after the moderately accl album poll (a great idea, but sadly I ain't got much time to do it )

So, now, what do we do ?

1) Album poll ?
When : I think we should vote between september and december (as we did 2 years ago)

Who will manage it ? Are there volunteers ?

2) Movie poll ?
When ?
Who ?

Personnally I think that we shouldn't do both polls in september.

My guess would be films in september and albums in december. Songs would be for next year.
I could manage an album poll if nobody else is interested.
Anybody with news from Andre btw ?

I think the album poll should wait until this year ends, just so we can put a hard cap on what will be allowed.

I'm happy to have the albums poll in January, as then we'll be able to include the entire decade of the 00s. Following with a songs poll and then an artists poll makes sense, as that is the order they had last time. I'd be happy to do the artist poll again.

nicolas
According to this old thread , there should have been an album poll in March, managed by Andre, but we lost Andre.

Andre, where are you ?

Still alive, nicolas ... sorry for the long absence, I've been caught up with other private things. Even promised to reply Henrik with an e-mail about two weeks ago, feel pretty bad ...

Anyway, this interest in all-time polls seems to go up and down. Around the year turn there was an interest, it seemed colled down around March and now it's back again. But, to be honest, I will not post as much anymore as I used to do before, so I think it's better somebody else moderates these polls...

I'll participate in any poll for sure but I'm really excited for a movie poll. I don't think I've ever participated in one.

"colled down" should, of course, read "cooled down" in my last post.

Yes, preferably end of this year (waiting until next year might make the Pazz&Jop polls for 2009 snow under). nicolas, why don't you moderate this poll, or we can even consider to do it together? Earlier this year you were afraid to be too busy to organize a poll, at the moment I am too distracted myself. But maybe together it might work better?

Yes, preferably after albums and 2009 P&Y polls, so spring 2010?

3. Would you be interested in participating in an
artist poll?
Yes, preferably after the songs poll, so summer 2010?

See above

John
I'll participate in any poll for sure but I'm really excited for a movie poll. I don't think I've ever participated in one.

Me too.
I have over 1460 movies in my movies (movies I've seen) in IMDB so it's time to make top 100 list.
I think we should have movie poll in summer . If Rune or netjade doesn't want or have time to host I can.
Like John said in another thread you really should check also RYM's movie pages.

I think we should have album poll in september or october because in december it's time to sort top 100 of 70's and in January is best of 09 and hopefully best of 00's polls.

that's all right by me, Andre
Let's do it together in dec 09 or jan 10

So at that moment at least one of us will be available

Just thought I'd give this a bump. Any new insight? It looks like we're waiting until December at least for the album poll, maybe later. Then will come songs and artists.

I would definitely participate in a songs, albums, or artists poll. The order doesn't matter at all to me.

Yeah I'm thinking we'll open the poll in December, and then do the unveiling January. What does everyone think of that? In the next few months we could do subsequent pools.

I'm somewhat interested in some kind of 00's film poll. I'd be more interested if the poll could be formatted somehow so ones more people have seen didn't have an advantage. (Like something bracket oriented).

SR
Yeah I'm thinking we'll open the poll in December, and then do the unveiling January. What does everyone think of that? In the next few months we could do subsequent pools.

Yeah, that's what I had in mind - if you still accept me as the albums poll manager (or co-manager, I hope, if Andre is back with us at the end of the year)
So you have 3-4 months to think about your lists...

Just my two cents, there's going to be a lot going on in December, with the final round of the '70s poll, our annual Pazz & Jop poll, the Moderately Acclaimed albums, Bracketology...I say push it back a month to January, when we'll have no other (big) polls to contend with plus more voters considering the '70s and P&J polls will be unveiling winners. There'll be a lot more forum traffic then, and hopefully we can get more voters in an album poll because of it.

Alex D
Just my two cents, there's going to be a lot going on in December, with the final round of the '70s poll, our annual Pazz & Jop poll, the Moderately Acclaimed albums, Bracketology...I say push it back a month to January, when we'll have no other (big) polls to contend with plus more voters considering the '70s and P&J polls will be unveiling winners. There'll be a lot more forum traffic then, and hopefully we can get more voters in an album poll because of it.

Sounds fair. I like this idea.

Henrik
Honorio, I just said you had the optimal idea and here I go with a new suggestion...

January
1950, 1951, 1952 - 5 albums and 10 songs per year
February
1953, 1954, 1955 - 5 albums and 10 songs per year
March
1956, 1957, 1958 - 5 albums and 10 songs per year
April
1959, 1960, 1961 - 5 albums and 10 songs per year
May
1962, 1963, 1964 - 5 albums and 10 songs per year
June
1965 - 15 albums and 10 songs per year
July
1966 - 15 albums and 10 songs per year
August
1967 - 15 albums and 10 songs per year
September
1968 - 15 albums and 10 songs per year
October
1969 - 15 albums and 10 songs per year
November
1950s - top 50 albums and top 100 songs
December
1960s - top 100 albums and top 100 songs

Or we can do a 00s poll in January, move all yearly polls one month ahead and do both the 50s and 60s in December. Beautiful numbers, aren't they?

So... must we wait till February to begin with this 50s-60s poll? And do the 50s and 60s final polls both in December?

I still think we should do the decade polls (top 100 albums and songs) in January (same time or right after Pazz & Jop poll). I can host it.
All time lists can be held in any month. I guess many of us don't have much to think or listen to to make their all time lists. So why don't we have all time album list for example in October or November?
The 50's poll can start in January I think.

pop elton,

The more I think about your suggestion, the more I thinks it's a good idea.

The sooner the better ?

I'm gonna start a new thread about that.