Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Report errors here

I'm starting a new "error thread" again. The old errors are hopefully taken care of in the new update.

Errors could for example be
* I have missed an entry for an album/single in a critics list
* updated All Music Guide or Metacritic ratings
* links to critics lists that are not working

Many thanks for your help!

Re: Report errors here

Sigur Ros is listed as being artist 1383 on their page, though they're as 305 in the overall list (much closer to their deserved rank :)

Brainstorm by the Arctic Monkeys reads "Br-ia-nstorm"

DC, that Arctic Monkeys song really IS titled "Brianstorm" - it's a takedown of a preening nightclub creep whose name is Brian.

oops, nevermind then

Don't know how much Scaruffi's ratings affect the rankings, but I noticed the Mars Volta's Frances The Mute was still listed as a 7/10 from him.

Great update though, Henrik

(His actual score is an 8/10. http://www.scaruffi.com/vol5/atthedri.html)

Henrik, a minor correction for the 2008 EOY spreadsheet: "Bon Iver" is not a proper name - it's Justin Vernon's recording pseudonym - so it shouldn't be listed as "Iver, Bon" in the table.

When I look at Bjork's artist page it shows as:

Bj�rk

I don't know about to you, but to me that middle o with an umlaut looks like a large black diamond with a question mark in it. I think you have unicode compatibility issues.

Herbie Hancock's Head Hunter's entry on the Pitchfork best of the 70s list (as #68) is not included in that album's entry.

Slush, the artist ranking for Sigur Rós is currently split between "Sigur Rós" and "Sigur Ros" (erroneous spelling for Svefn-g-englar). With the two spellings combined the artist ranking should be somewhere below 300.

BillAdama, I haven't used html unicodes, simply because nobody has asked for it. But I will use it in the next update.

The original soundtrack of "West Side Story" was released in 1961, not 1962.

There are two separate artist entries for "Ian Dury" and "Ian Dury and the Blockheads." Is there any reason the two shouldn't be combined?

(I spotted this while assembling the 1980 eligibles list for the HOA...unless I hear otherwise before I post it tomorrow, I'm going to combine the two for purposes of that list.)

schleuse, that's an error. They should be combined under 'Ian Dury'.

Thanks, Henrik!

The Gloria Gaynor song "I Will Survive" was from 1978, not 1979.

"Chime" by Orbital was from 1989, not 1990.

"Out of Season" (Album all-time rank #1511) is by Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man (without the apostrophe).

The 1968 Kinks album should be called "The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society" (the second "the" is currently missing).

...and a few more tiny ones.

Neil Young's 1970 album is called "After the Gold Rush", not "Goldrush".

U2's "Achtung Baby" is written without a comma.

Creedence Clearwater Revival's 1969 album is called "Willy and the Poor Boys" with a space between the last two words.

I just found another irrelevant mistake:

Ry Cooder's 1979 album is called "Bop Till You Drop" with "Till" instead of "'Til".

(Now I'll leave you alone.)

As long as we're doing this...

Nirvana's 1996 live album is FROM THE MUDDY BANKS OF THE WISHKAH, not "Whiskah".

Harold, this sounds familiar...am I right that you've already mentioned this a couple of times?

there's an apostrophe after "Fulfillingness" in "Fulfillingness' First Finale"

"Before the Flood" and "The Basement Tapes" are attributed to Bob Dylan and The Band but are only included in the former artist's discography.

The Move's 1970 album is just called "Shazam" (without the exclamation mark).

The Kinks' 1970 album is called "Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One". Without any dashes, abbreviations or the's before Powerman.

The second Taj Mahal album is called "The Natch'l Blues" with an article.

Also "Taj Mahal" is a stage name, that is not made up of a front and a last name. Taj Mahal should therefore appear under the letter "T" in the artist list, not under "M" as "Mahal, Taj".

The band "Sparks" is listed as "The Sparks"

Artist #1955 is actually called Jimmie (Not Jimmy) Dale Gilmore.

Artist #1831 is actually calles "Justin Hinds (not Hines) and the Dominoes".

The Traffic album is called "The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys" without a "the" between "of" and "High".

Stereolab's 1994 album is called "Mars Audiac Quintet", not "Mars Audio Quintet".

Dr. John's album Gris-Gris has an allmusic rating of 5 rather than 4.5.

I feel like it might be more appropriate to put "Genius/GZA" as "GZA/Genius," as GZA is the more well-known name of the artist (and the one on the bulk of his recordings).

It's not that important, though.

sigur ros is listed twice in iceland's top artists, one with an accent and one without

"Mark Stewart and the Maffia" should be simply "Mark Stewart and Maffia."

Perhaps I'm just misreading the entry here, but I'm a little confused...

According to the list of 3000 songs, #1328 is "The Payoff Mix/Lesson 2/Lesson 3 (Promo EP)" by Double Dee & Steinski. However, I've been doing some reading about the "Lessons" and Double Dee & Steinski. From what I've read, "The Payoff Mix" is also known as "Lesson 1: The Payoff Mix" and was released in 1983. "Lesson 2: The James Brown Mix" was a separate track released the next year, and "Lesson 3: The History of Hip-Hop Mix" was still another track released in 1985.

It seems to me that these are three separate songs, released independently of each other. If I am correct in thinking this, why are they listed on the "Big List" as only one song?

Not exactly an error, but the soundtrack of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" should probably credited to Original Soundtrack, not Various Artists. "West Side Story" and "The Sound of Music" are credited to Original Soundtrack, and it's a bit strange to have the third soundtrack in the AM 3000 credited to Various Artists. Also there's a comma between "Brother" and "Where" and the soundtrack title, that should be added.

The song "No Cars Go" from Arcade Fire is a track on the 2007 album Neon Bible, but according to RYM appears to have been released as part of an EP already in 2003. Don't know that EP, so perhaps the song on the EP "Arcade Fire" is not exactly the same song as the one in 2007? But if the same, it should probably be moved to that year.

The version of "No Cars Go" on NEON BIBLE is a re-recording.

One sorting error I have noticed is that Ben Folds Five is listed under B, instead of
F (i.e. Folds, Ben).

Great site.

The Fast n' Bulbous list is constantly changing and now has more than 1000 entries.

Killing Joke's self-titled debut has a 4.5 rating from All Music Guide.

The song by Uffie is actually called "Pop the Glock," not "Pop the Clock."

Date issues :

Maytals "Monkey Man" listed as 1971 is indeed a 1970 album (by RYM's standards and other sources)

Same goes for Brigitte Fontaine's Comme à la radio

And JJ Cale's Naturally is from 1972 (or the jacket sleeve says so)

The critic's list New Age Voice (USA) - 25 Influent Ambient CDs (2002) (http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/3172289350/show/57399N) is crediting Aphex Twin's release Selected Ambient Works Volume II (http://acclaimedmusic.net/Current/A1591.htm), but on the site it is listed on the page for Selected Ambient Works 85-92 (http://acclaimedmusic.net/Current/A868.htm).

The American Amazon link for The Teardrop Explodes - Kilimanjaro links to a Peter Frampton album.

"Rollin' Stone" by Muddy Waters was from 1948, not 1950.

George, are you sure about that? What is your source?

My guess is the source is Wikipedia Henrik. If you look at their article on "Rollin' Stone", it lists 1948 as the date:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollin%27_Stone

HOWEVER...the link in the Muddy Waters discography that leads TO that article says 1950, so that's hardly definitive proof:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muddy_Waters#Discography

For what it's worth an article in the U.K.'s Guardian newspaper agrees with the 1950 date:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2008/nov/24/label-love-chess-records

A 2nd page with a Chess discography (and a matrix # and B side listed) also says 1950:

http://www.dogpile.com/clickserver/_iceUrlFlag=1?rawURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwzuy2.ask.com%2Fr%3Ft%3Dp%26d%3Dsynus%26s%3Ddpl%26c%3Ddp%26l%3Ddir%26o%3D0%26sv%3D0a48430b%26ip%3D0cabe07c%26id%3D1764A7AC82E08138DC7BA0EB43C881A7%26q%3DMuddy%2BWaters%2Brollin%2527%2Bstone%26p%3D1%26qs%3D121%26ac%3D24%26g%3D7676I0nrMx60AB%26en%3Dte%26io%3D9%26b%3Dalg%26tp%3Dd%26ec%3D10%26pt%3DChess%2BRecords%2Bdiscography%26ex%3D%26url%3D%26u%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fkoti.mbnet.fi%2Fwdd%2Fchess.htm&0=&1=0&4=67.63.50.255&5=12.171.224.124&9=4aa45a8d6ead4f57b32c130f07f3c901&10=1&11=info.dogpl&13=search&14=264870&15=main-title&17=38&18=10&19=0&20=6&21=32&22=%2FLLvhmNFwxw%3D&23=0&40=9lMGHnt6ny7EzRP90H6Hdw%3D%3D&_IceUrl=true

So unless someone provides a site OTHER THAN Wikipedia referencing the 1948 date, I think 1950's correct. Ideally, we'd find a screen shot somewhere of the label of Chess Records #1426 and that would be final proof. Anyone got that?

The amazon UK link to the album Crosby, Stills and Nash is for Deja Vu.

Here Come the Warm Jets came out in 1974, not 1973.

ericb
Here Come the Warm Jets came out in 1974, not 1973.

Well, this is probably one of the longests debates on RYM about release dates. No one seems to truly know if the release date is 1973 or 1974.

'British Steel' by Judas Priest actually got 5 stars from All Music Guide not 4.5

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:d9ftxq95ldse

"Aneurysm" by Nirvana was first released as a b-side to the Smells Like Teen Spirit single in 1991, not 1992, a single that predated the album.

If the song ever breaks the top 3000, it should go:

Smells Like Teen Spirit
Aneurysm
Come As You Are
Lithium
In Bloom

Since Aneurysm predated the release of the 3 other songs from Nevermind by a few weeks.

Also, Rape Me should be listed before Pennyroyal Tea, as it was a double A-side with All Apologies.

Henrik, I just want to head this one off at the pass, so to speak: the Titus Andronicus album - a 2008 release, already added to the AM database, which will probably be showing up on lots of 2009 lists - is titled THE AIRING OF GRIEVANCES (not ..."OG" GRIEVANCES).

is !!! in the artist list somewhere? if so, what letter? i would've guessed "C" since they usually go by "chk chk chk", but i don't see them there...

Er... Piero Scaruffi didn't give Critical Beatdown from Ultramagnetic MCs a 0.65 (a 6.5 actually).

Joao Gilberto isn't credited with "The Girl from Ipanema" or "Corcovado" from the album Getz/Gilberto, despite playing guitar and providing some vocals on each.

Blumfeld's "L'Etat Et Moi" is listed as a 1995 release on a lot of websites including amazon, wikipedia and allmusic.com, but as 1994 on RYM and AM.

Does anyone know which one is correct?

Looking at allmusic, in the section releases there is one issue (on LP), that says 1994 as well. Also 1994 is the year stated in the articles on Blumfeld in both the German and English Wikipedia. Discogs and the official band website favor 1994, too.

The Musicalia list that was added to the Best Albums of the 2000s list doesn't look right. All of the entries are listed as #1. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

brian, eh?
The Musicalia list that was added to the Best Albums of the 2000s list doesn't look right. All of the entries are listed as #1. Is that the way it's supposed to be?

It was an unranked list. Henrik's formulas provide for weighting of unranked lists so that all the entries can be tabulated identically without skewing the overall numbers.

Ok, I thought perhaps that was the reason, but figured I'd ask just in case. Thanks, Harold. Thanks for putting the list together, too!