Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Last.fm

For those that haven't heard about Last.fm, it's a website that ranks the songs you play and shows you how many of each artist/song you play each week/in total. Pretty neat site.

Anyway, I created a group for AcclaimedMusic.net, would be nice if we could get some people in there seeing as most of the regular visitors seem to have a superb taste.

The group-name is "AcclaimedMusic".

Stephan

Re: Last.fm

I accidently also created Acclaimed Music, with a space. Any preference? :)

Great website !
I have an account on this site since july 2005.
http://www.last.fm/user/Dumbangel/

http://www.last.fm/group/AcclaimedMusic

Press join this group and I'll let you in. We need 15 people to make some charts, so tell your friends. ;)

I'm the third member ! (waiting for approval)

Accepted. :)

Gotta get this above Harolds spam. :p

Another member is in, if you join please post here so we know who's who. :P

I prefer to use musicmobs.com because it counts plays from my ipod as well. I do like the events feature of last.fm very much, however.

Much smaller user base though, as far as I can see.

Hey, i just applied to joi the group

Sorry, I haven't been on these forums for a while, my page is:

http://www.last.fm/user/Mikey2000/

Great, thanks. :)

Pending...

Welcome. :)

Just getting this post to the top of the list. we need 15 members!

Indeed we do, haven't gotten requests in a while. Come on people, just subscribe! :)

I like to subscribe to the group. I think my compatibility is very high

http://www.lastfm.de/user/funtomas76/

Your musical compatibility rating with funtomas76 is:
Super

Welcome. ;)

Just got another pending request, please post here if you request so I know if you're actually posting here.

Is the member name 'acclaimedmusic'? I got that membership some week ago ('frazze' and 'henrik' were already taken and then usually 'acclaimedmusic' is my third choice). Then I thought about it, that the name 'acclaimedmusic' was perhaps a bad idea, as the group page could easily be mixed up with my personal last.fm page.

I then tried to send the message above, but something was wrong with the forum posting, and then I forgot all about it.

So, well, do you think I should create a new member?

I accepted acclaimedmusic, figured it might be you. I was talking about another user though: hectorthebat

Up to you if you want to take a new user, I don't mind. As long as you scrobble some songs!

We have charts!

1. Bob Dylan (4)
2. Michael Jackon (4)
3. Pink Floyd (3)
4. Pixies (3)
5. Beck (3)

I'm assuming the last number means the amount of people that played songs by a particular artist. Next update is in 36 hours.

Sweet! No Beatles
MJ?

This weeks rankings:

1) The Arcade Fire (4 people)
2) The White Stripes (4 people)
3) Phil Collins (3 people)
4) The Police (3 people)
5) Air (3 people)

A whole lot of artists with 3 plays btw, don't know why these 3 were 3-5. :)

Songs:
1) Sarah Bettens – Don't Stop
2) Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart
3) David Bowie – Ashes to Ashes
4) Nick Drake – Pink Moon
5) Neil Young – Tell Me Why

All have 2 people playing, and there's a lot more with 2 plays.

Conclusion: We need more people to make this interesting, sign up and scrobble people! :)

I just signed up and am a bit confused. Some of the songs I'm playing are registering, while others aren't.

Also, it seems to have a whole history of everything on my iTunes. It includes a bunch of stuff my wife listens to mostly. Is there any way to clear that?

Songs have to be tagged correctly (ID3 tags) or not tagged at all (but in that case named correctly) if they are to be scrobbled.

You can clear the entire account, and you can edit/remove songs you recently played (but this function isn't always working properly).

The charts of this lastfm group don't really please me... I'm not sure to stay in it any longer...

1) Belle and Sebastian (4)
2) Beastie Bys (3)
3) Blur (3)
4) David Bowie (3)
5) The Rolling Stones (3)

1) Elvis Presley – Suspicious Minds (3)
2) The Police – Every Breath You Take (3)
3) The Beatles – Ticket to Ride (2)
4) The Beatles – Love Me Do (2)
5) The Rolling Stones – Wild Horses (2)

We finally got some Beatles showing.

New week, new top artists.

1) Madonna (5)
2) Pink FLoyd (4)
3) Beck (4)
4) Bob Dylan (4)
5) Phil Collins (4)

1) Talking Heads – Life During Wartime (3)
2) David Bowie – Suffragette City (2)
3) David Bowie – China Girl (2)
4) The Beatles – Eleanor Rigby (2)
5) The Beatles – Tomorrow Never Knows (2)

I just created and applied - david42

Accepted and welcome member #15!

1) The Rolling Stones (5)
2) The Beatles (5)
3) The Beach Boys (4)
4) Pink Floyd (4)
5) Neil Young (4)

1) The Beach Boys – God Only Knows (4)
2) The Beatles – Strawberry Fields Forever (3)
3) Queens of the Stone Age – No One Knows (3)
4) The Smiths – This Charming Man (2)
5) Jimmy Cliff – The Harder They Come (2)

Interestingly, 3 of the 5 songs were in the bracketology that week.

Hello Pomtidom,
There still are no discussions on the AM group of last.fm
What about making this group livelier and more fun by discussing or something like that?
Pontidom, YOU are the boss, the leader of the group, so do your job !

I figured this forum was pretty much the place for discussions, why spread it over 2 forums?

Ok, we can discuss here at AM. So what's the use of the lastfm group ?

Why, rankings of course.

I just discovered last.fm (looks interesting) and applied to the group under the name niclejeune

1) The Beach Boys (5)
2) Queen (4)
3) The White Stripes (4)
4) Led Zeppelin (4)
5) Björk (3)

1) Peter Gabriel – Solsbury Hill (3)
2) The Stooges – Search and Destroy (2)
3) Elliott Smith – Son of Sam (2)
4) Led Zeppelin – Immigrant Song (2)
5) U2 – Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (2)

Solsbury Hill, somehow I didn't expect to see that on top.

Sure, what the hell. Could be fun.

-nightclown

I am pending - Eddo78

Your musical compatibility rating with nightclown is:
Super

Welcome both.

Cool, thanks Pomtidom.

General question: does anyone know how often a users' "Top Artists Overall" list is updated? Is it weekly?

Yes, both Top Artists Weekly and Top Artists Overall are updated somewhere in the night of Sunday to Monday. Around midnight.. CST I think.

The first time the artist top 5 is actually the top 5, not a random selection from a lot of bands with the same amount of songs.

1) The Beatles (8)
2) The Beach Boys (7)
3) Bob Dylan (6)
4) Radiohead (6)
5) The Strokes (6)

1) Radiohead – Fake Plastic Trees (5)
2) Stevie Wonder – Superstition (4)
3) David Bowie – Changes (3)
4) Stevie Wonder – Living For the City (3)
5) Nirvana – Lithium (3)

Wow! That's a good group.

Looks like I'm not the only one who's been playing a shit-load of Radiohead lately. heh

Damn - how do I get all the songs played on my ipod onto lastfm? - all it has is ones I've played on itunes on my computer...

When you connect your iPod to your computer, all of your playcounts will be updated on your iTunes.

Am I correct, Pomtidom?

Technically it should work, but it seems to have stopped working a few days ago with the iTunes update. Until this is fixed in the Last.fm client there is one little trick that seems to work:

Make sure both iTunes and the Last.fm client are turned off before you connect the iPod. It should then start the programs automatically and ask if you want to scrobble.

Hope that solves the problem.

Oh, if you have an iPod shuffle you might need the program iScrobbler rather than the Last.fm client.

Also, here's a little FAQ concerning scrobbling, might help: http://www.last.fm/forum/34905/_/168488

Edit: That would be iSproggler, assuming you're using a Windows client, iScrobbler is for Mac computers.

It's never worked for me that way. Which really sucks because most of my music gets listened from the ipod. That is why I rave so much about musicmobs.com

The White's are popular this week, and the influence of bracketology shows with 'Kiss' as the most played song.

Songs:
1. Prince – Kiss (5)
2. Massive Attack – Unfinished Sympathy (4)
3. Talking Heads – Once in a Lifetime (3)
4. The Cure – A Forest (3)
5. U2 – One (3)

1. The White Stripes (8)
2. The Beatles (7)
3. The Cure (6)
4. Michael Jackson (6)
5. Blur (5)

Good lists again! Looks like Jack and Meg were on heavy rotation.

Ok fellow last.fm’ers – need your help. Over the weekend, I discovered that my iPod plays weren’t scrobbling, but I solved that problem by creating a new account (on Monday morning, under a different name). Now my last.fm client recognizes my iPod when it’s connected. It should be all good, BUT…

The new problem though, is this: when I created this new account, the program didn’t ask if it could search for my iTunes playcounts (which is somewhere in the neighborhood of 18,000 or so). It asked when I set up the first account, but not for this new one.

Will it ask for this information at some point? I checked the forum and FAQ, and nobody seems to know. Pomtidom – any thoughts?

I have to confess that everything I posted before about iPods I looked up, because I don't personally own an iPod. So.. if you already checked the forums, I doubt I could do a better job, but I'll let you know if I come across something.

Don't forget to sign up to the acclaimedmusic group with your new account.

Thanks Pomtidom. I guess I'll wait it out until next Monday to see if the program will update on Sunday night. At this point, it's more important for me to have iPod plays than a total playcount.

In the meantime, my new account is anth13. I'd like to keep my other account in the group for now, just in case I go back to it.

Woot! With the new last.fm client update ipod scrobbling works!! Oh, happy day.

Hey anthony...it seems from what I've read that it only asks for new accounts, never with existing accounts is it an option, which for me is a drag because with it just now began recognizing my ipod plays so I'm missing about 1/2 of my previous plays and don't want to create a new last.fm account.

We've got some bracketology influence again this week with 'There She Goes' and 'Good Vibrations' at the very top of the rankings. I also see Dancing Queen and Little Red Corvette a few places lower.

http://www.last.fm/group/AcclaimedMusic

The Ramones storm the rankings and take the number one song with Blitzkrieg pop while the Beatles keep up their winning spree by staying first for the 3rd week in a row.

Taking this up to the top for our new visitors. This week's top artists with the amount of listeners between brackets:

1) Bob Dylan (6)
2) The Beatles (6)
3) The Strokes (5)
4) The Beach Boys (5)
5) New Order (4)

Every single one of these songs has 3 listeners
1) Joy Division – Love Will Tear Us Apart
2) Joy Division – She's Lost Control
3) The White Stripes – Fell in Love With a Girl
4) Bob Dylan – Visions of Johanna
5) Joy Division – New Dawn Fades
6) LCD Soundsystem – All My Friends
7) Arctic Monkeys – Mardy Bum
8) The Blues Brothers – Everybody Needs Somebody to Love
9) Radiohead – House of Cards

If you don't have a Last.fm account, go sign up right away. If you do, join the acclaimedmusic.net group!

Just joined last.fm as NotALovesong (DrDre was already taken).

Group Membership pending ...

Accepted and welcome.

I've just added, too. But much songs on my list are played by my brother (all of them are metal songs) and some by my sister (including ridiculous pop made by artists like Savage Garden, etc!), hahaha! So don't blame me for this kinds of things appearing in the goodtasteful lists of the group, ok?heheh

I don't think I ever posted my username in here. I'm john f gil lson. I'm the one who was playing Amy Grant. Sorry, I like her Christmas album.

To tell you the truth, I haven't used this much but I intend to use it consistently now.

Seems like we've been listening to some diverse music over the holidays. From alternative through pop/rock, country and indie to hiphop.

1) Radiohead (6 listeners)
2) The Beatles (6)
3) Johnny Cash (5)
4) Belle and Sebastian (5)
5) Beastie Boys (4)

Bing Crosby obviously shows up in the list, but who has been listening to Maroon 5?! Got some female relatives over for new years eve? :)

1) Frankie Goes to Hollywood – The Power of Love (4 listeners)
2) Maroon 5 – This Love (3)
3) Bing Crosby – White Christmas (3)
4) M.I.A. – Paper Planes (3)
5) Bruce Springsteen – I'll Work For Your Love (3)

I thought it was bizarre that 4 people listened to The Power of Love.

That is a little worrying too, although I might have been part of those 4 (which is why I did not mention it) since the song is in my playlist.

I don't have anything against the song. I don't even really remember what it sounds like. It's bizarre that it was played by four different people.

This is one strange list

Top Artists for the week ending 6 Jan 20081
Radiohead
78,111 listeners868,149 plays
The Beatles
61,863 listeners1,195,170 plays
Red Hot Chili Peppers
54,854 listeners464,653 plays
Muse
48,530 listeners423,915 plays
Metallica
45,984 listeners451,217 plays
Linkin Park
45,075 listeners406,871 plays
1 The Killers
44,856 listeners316,592 plays
1 Coldplay
44,758 listeners281,380 plays
Foo Fighters
42,716 listeners322,567 plays
Nirvana
41,883 listeners308,294 plays
1 Pink Floyd
38,838 listeners420,781 plays
1 Led Zeppelin
37,784 listeners339,204 plays
System of a Down
37,611 listeners349,653 plays
1 Daft Punk
37,132 listeners244,485 plays
1 Arctic Monkeys
36,985 listeners308,953 plays
Green Day
35,564 listeners227,702 plays
The White Stripes
35,240 listeners210,933 plays
Queen
33,606 listeners228,207 plays
1 Bloc Party
33,548 listeners213,144 plays
1 Placebo
33,398 listeners266,719 plays

Hi
I've been back to Last.fm and one great thing about it is playlists
I encourage you do make playlists on your last.fm page, it's a great way for others Amers to discover your musical universe.
With the song poll approaching, I'm making my list and my playlist at the same time.
So don't hesitate

Hi nicolas,

I started to do that too, but wasn't sure if its purpose. There is a big disadvantage: It's a playlist that you can't really play on last.fm. Some songs you can play completely, some not at all, most of them only 30 seconds. But what you say is correct, other users can see what you like ... that's a plus.

yes, I realized that
I'm a bit disappointed

You could always just play a users personal radio station.

The playlist feature is a lot more useful now that they've got access to a huge number of full tracks.

I joined the group.

It's been a while since I posted here, but here's this week's top artists and songs. Don't forget to sign up if you haven't already! The Beatles continue their winning streak for artists, but Nick Drake is dominating the songs list this week.

1) The Beatles (8 users)
2) Pink Floyd (5)
3) The Rolling Stones (5)
4) Michael Jackson (5)
5) Radiohead (5)
6) David Bowie (5)
7) Bob Dylan (4)
8) Stevie Wonder (4)
9) The Clash (4s)
10) The Who (4)

1) Nick Drake – Three Hours (3 users)
2) The Cure – Boys Don't Cry (3)
3) The Cure – A Forest (3)
4) Nick Drake – The Thoughts of Mary Jane (3)
5) Nick Drake – Saturday Sun (3)
6) The Beatles – Something (3)
7) Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Maps (2)
8) Nick Drake – Fruit Tree (2)
9) K's Choice – In Your Room (2)
10) Josh Groban – You Raise Me Up (2)

just joined last fm, really great site.

Is it at all possible to get your itunes history onto Lastfm? I can't see how to...

Make sure both iTunes and the Last.fm client are turned off before you connect the iPod. It should then start the programs automatically and ask if you want to scrobble.

Oh, if you have an iPod shuffle you might need the program iScrobbler rather than the Last.fm client.

Also, here's a little FAQ concerning scrobbling, might help: http://www.last.fm/forum/34905/_/168488

I don't have an iPod so I don't know if that actually works though..

I managed to get my iTunes history onto Last.fm. I think it was pretty easy too, just follow some directions.

Oh, and the pending member would be me.

Stephan - judging by your last fm page,I can say without a doubt that you listen to more music than anyone I've ever seen...

Well, I'm cheating a little bit because my computer stays on 24/7 (for unrelated reasons) and winamp usually plays through the night as well. But yeah, I listen to a lot of music.

Forgot about this, but seeing as we have quite a few new members on the forum I figured I should give it a bump.

I joined. I don't post here very often, but why not?

I wish last.fm would be more of a social network site. Right now, it's just kind of there keeping track of what I listen to, which is great, but it's kind of cumbersome to see what others are listening to. Feeds and the ability to comment on said feeds would be awesome.

I agree, it could use some more functionality, but I'm not too unhappy it hasn't turned into a social networking site. Enough of those around. It's all about the lists baby.

I've finally decided to use this 3 years later.

which means that you're FINALLY planning to add me?

nj

Only 3 years late!

Moonbeam
nj

Only 3 years late!

..yet all those critics love you iN 3 Yrs..

nj
Moonbeam
nj

Only 3 years late!

..yet all those critics love you iN 3 Yrs..

Wonderful to have you aboard!

I just joined and I applied to join the group - my name is peadophile. Yup there's a typo.