Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The last update ... and the new

There was an error in the calculation for the January update, the new albums and songs were given too low positions. This has been corrected for the new update and consequently the recordings from this millennium are now placed higher.

I hope you like the new update, even if you are a persistent fan of the older stuff.

Re: The last update ... and the new

And with that, the book more or less officially closes on 2005 (except for the three 2005 albums in the 1001 ALBUMS book: ARULAR, GUERO and GET BEHIND ME SATAN). I won't be able to fully digest the update until later, but it certainly looks like your usual stellar work, Henrik. There's a kind of "purity" to this update, too, in terms of the fact that no 2006 albums have been added yet (there were a few new releases in last year's post-P&J update). Maybe this just means that nothing that came out in January - e.g., Jenny Lewis or Cat Power - has yet achieved the level of acclaim that, say, Bright Eyes or LCD already had at this time last year; whatever the reason, I'm kind of glad. Puts more of a sense of finality on 2005.

I think Cat Power and Arctic Monkeys would have made the cut, but I wanted to wait until I have a little more data to lean on. Surely a 2006 update will be included in the next update. The 1001 book will be included too.

Henrik, I told you that the scores were way too low. ;)

Wow- it's cool to see 2005 take shape, especially among other albums and songs of the decade.

The songs list is a great surprise!

Michael, your comment was one of the things that made me look over the calculations again. Kudos to you!

Henrik, there's something fishy about this last update. I noticed most albums didn't move at all, even those that were very high on the NME list, like The Stone Roses or The Queen Is Dead. Also when you click on the Stone Roses to display the lists the album appears on, the new lists aren't there. I don't know if the same is true for other albums.

Jacek,
The new NME list is there, but you probably need to reload the pages for Stone Roses and Queen Is Dead. These albums were number 1 and 8 in NME's all-time list from 2003, and were thus expected to end up high in the new NME list. They need to achieve high positions in all-time lists from other magazines in order to climb on AM.

One question about the update, has the update taken into count 'I Predict A Riot' featuring on 2004 EOY lists when it was orginally released? (NME #11 for example)

No, I wasn't aware of that. I'll change it for the next update. Thanks!