Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tori Amos

Why isn't Tori as acclaimed as Bjork or PJ Harvey? She plays piano better than anyone and writes much better songs than Bjork. So what make Madulla better than Boys for Pele which I regard as the most underrated album of the 90s. It may not be a solid classic from beginning to end but Bjork has never had a record that good either. People say they can't stand Tori's voice, well I say her voice is easily more accessible than Bjorks. There isn't a song writer alive today that writes better songs that Tori. She's a true writer!!!!!!

Re: Tori Amos

While I agree that she is underrated (although I don't particularly care for her), Tori isn't in the same league as Björk or PJ Harvey when it comes to imagination, innovation or vision.

Have you see the video for "A Sort of Fairytale?" That was freaking genius. No one can write music like her. She's hilarous, wierd, bizarre and can bury Tom Waits alive with the enormous amount she has. She even plays harpsichord which no pop singer played before her. Since she lost her voice and can't play any more people need to be reminded of how brilliant she is. Don't bring up Kate Bush because if you do I'll just bring up Patti Smith and how Polly Harvey relies heavily on her contributions.

Hmm, I like PJ Harvey but I dont like Patti Smith much.

Patti Smith still has good songs even from her latest records. The old broad can still rock!!!

Tori Amos sucks balls ... but her music is OK. Her last album, the one about gardening, or whatever it was, was as dull as watching lemon trees grow.

All this just goes to prove that opinions are like assholes; everyone's got one.

People can't stand her voice but I guess it's a "trendy" thing to like Bjorks voice. Everyone seems to be obsessed with Bjork all because all the popular college kids like her. Her last album reeked. She has good singles but overall Tori Amos has better albums and without the trendy college following

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, because no album that Tori has made (and yes I've heard them all) can compare to ANY of Debut, Post, Homogenic, Vespertine or Medúlla in my opinion.

Furthermore, it was my college experience that many people raved about Tori Amos, sometimes at the expense of Björk.

College radio never gave her a chance. Her lyrics have so much more depth than Bjork's and I can almost gaurentee you than had Tori Amos been British she would have gotten an equal amount of acclaim as PJ Harvey. Listen to Boys for Pele and prove me wrong.

So JR is the Madonna stalker, Tim is the Tori Amos stalker ... maybe I should become a Beyonce stalker, but that wouldn't be based on her music. Musically, I'd have to stalk PJ Harvey or the lasses from Sleater-Kinney, well, except for the drummer.

The difference I find between Tori's lyrics and Björk's is that Björk's lyrics seem to apply to everyone, where Tori seems to write more about herself. That is not to slight Tori Amos, but I think it results in Björk having a more broad appeal.

Tori isnt at all popular in UK, never has been really.

Like Moonbeam I would put Bjork well ahead of Tori. My problem with her is the same I have with most singer-songwriters: too much focus on words, not enough on arrangements. I'm sorry, but if you can't write great music to sing to, then I don't give a damn what you have to say.

What are you talkinng about? Have you heard the last Bjork album? You call that arrangement? She has great songs but never classic albums because 4 or 5 songs fall flat are far as arrangements are concerned. Tori has symphonies, harmony and that extraordinary piano. Her writing style is bizarre but dramatic. She doesn't sing about frosty settings or being trapped inside a giant bear. She doesn't make up characters unless she covers them like PJ Harvey either. She's intense and painfully provocative.

BTW Tori is big in the UK. She had a #1 hit with Professional Widow and Boys for Pele debut at #1 and got well deserved rave reviews for that record.