Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What are your Desert Island Discs?

Now I'm all you music-savvy nerds will have heard of Desert Island Discs, but I don't think there's ever been a thread where you can list them. To those that don't know, Desert Island Discs is a show on BBC Radio 4 where celebrities can list the 8 songs that they would take on a desert island with them, as well as a book and a luxury item. But on this forum, we're the celebrities, so it'd be interesting to see what you put. Bear in mind, it doesn't have to be the 8 greatest songs ever, or 8 songs covering the span of music, or any sort of criteria like that. You simply put the 8 songs that as a castaway you'd like to have with you. A small comment would be appreciated.

1. The Ronettes - Be My Baby
I seriously think that at times this is my favourite song ever. I love everything about it, from the beginning drum beats to the harmonies in the background, but the one thing that takes me back the most is the purity with which Ronnie sings those vocals - it sounds like nothing I've ever heard. I feel like you can grow up just by listening to this song. Not least it's so freaking catchy.

2. The Jesus And Mary Chain - Just Like Honey
Most times, I actually do think this is the best song ever, and it's very apt that it begins with that Ronettes drumbeat, because it sets it off so well. The old John Peel quote about his favourite song, Teenage Kicks, applies here for me - "There's nothing you could add to it or subtract from it that would improve it.". As an idea it's great, and for execution, it's perfect.

3. Talking Heads - Don't Worry About The Government
This would be on here as a homage to what seems to be my favourite genre, which is post-punk/new wave. I could have picked Psycho Killer, or a Blondie song or something but the reason I picked this is the sheer nonsensical nature about it. I've never really known the meaning of it, but I always imagine myself as some big CEO of some big company who looks at Washington DC and its laws and how everything's dandy and convenient and there are civil servants who are my best friends.

4. The Wrens - 13 Months in 6 minutes
What a song about a devastating breakup will do for me when I'm alone on a desert island is beyond me, but nonetheless, this is on here for being the most emotional song I've ever heard, ever. Ever. The change from " I followed you to bed. We started secret plans" to "forward 7 months: I've only seen you once" always gets to me. The dark change from a relationship at its early bloom to its swift conclusion as she leaves for London, leaving you powerless to do anything.

5. The Velvet Underground and Nico - Heroin
This song also isn't particularly happy, as it clearly talks about the alienation caused by being addicted to taking Heroin - "and you can't help me now, you guys and all you sweet girls with all your sweet talk/ you all can go take a walk". But god if the "rush" moments aren't enthralling. The song is built for those shory but sweet moments when the drum speeds up, and everything gets going. I think he knows that the addiction will "nullify (his) life", but does he care? I don't think so. The rushes are just too addictive.

6. The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
Now this is a true love song. There are surely few songs that are this sincere, and heartwarming. To be honest, there's nothing really to say - its appeal is so obvious, from the gorgeous harmonies to Carl's great vocals.

7. Television - Marquee Moon
I knew there had to be a long song somewhere, but I wasn't sure whether it'd be this or Starless by King Crimson. In the end, I plumped for this, because it's always been one of my favourite songs ever. The guitars are bow-to-me majestic, the vocals are full of attitude and the drumming is perfect. I recently looked at the lyrics as well, and they're really interesting (and totally different to what I thought they were). "The kiss of death, the embrace of life".

8. Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head
Just pure fun. Gawd you can have enough of all the other songs, but not this one. I imagine myself drinking rum out of a coconut shell with this busting out on full blast so that everyone (no one) in the nearby vicinity can hear me, dancing some stupid dance , looking utterly idiotic, but hey. It's a desert island. At least make the most of it.

Book - Shamefully, I haven't read as many books as I would have liked to (next to none, in fact). So I would probably take with me Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. For such a short book, it's so full of life, with all its disappointment, hope, anger, despair and exhilaration. The writing to me seems really African, and all those beautiful proverbs/parables always stick out for me.

Luxury item - probably a box set of The Wire or something. I feel like you haven't really grown up until you see the world for what it is (though what use that is on a desert island is again called to question), and The Wire is the most enthralling, addictive, and stark way of seeing it.

Now let's see yours!

Re: What are your Desert Island Discs?

Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone
Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil
Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
The Knife - We Share Our Mother's Health
Prince - When Doves Cry
The White Stripes - Fell In Love With A Girl
Tim Buckley - Come Here Woman
The Replacements - Unsatisfied

Well, let's start with the 8 songs:
Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns N' Roses
Without a doubt my favorite songs of all time.
Walk This Way - Aerosmith
This song kicks major ass and has some swag.
Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
I was tempted to make all eight songs come from my favorite album, Led Zeppelin IV, but I decided to go with just this song (which I love).
All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
Best cover ever, yada yada yada.
Strawberry Fields Forever - The Beatles
My favorite Beatles' song.
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Probably my favorite songs from my favorite group.
(Sitin' On) The Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding
A great slab of soul.
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - The Rolling Stones
The last song was the hardest to pick, because it's the last one.

Now for the book:
1984 - George Orwell
That book is the shit.

As for the luxury item, I'm having a hard time chosing between a guitar (which I would enjoy playing) and an oven (so I could eat). Interesting choice.

This is next to impossible. There's no collection of eight songs I'd never get tired of. But away we go anyway.

The Cure - The Same Deep Water as You
Stevie Wonder - Another Star
Jeff Buckley - Forget Her
Reigning Sound - Let Yourself Go
R.E.M. - Laughing
The Smiths - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Teenage Fanclub - Your Love is the Place Where I Come From
Steely Dan - Don't Take Me Alive

I guess I would prefer to choose one album over any eight songs, but let's stick to the given format. For obvious reasons, longer songs get the edge with me. I'd also prefer abstract songs, because they don't tire as easily.

1. Neu! - Hallogallo
2. Boards of Canada - Happy Cycling
3. Nina Simone - Sinner Man
4. Tom Waits - Tom Traubert's Blues
5. Massive Attack - Angel
6. Autechre - Cipater
7. Radiohead - Paranoid Android
8. William Basinski - D|P 1.1 (at 63"00')

Book: Cormac McCarthy's 'The Road' or William Faulkner's 'As I Lay Dying'. Hard choice. I'd choose the first, because it would fit better to the situation. Possibly.

Luxury item: Assuming I do have a way to play my beloved songs, a computer with internet connection. Is that allowed?

Great pick with Hallogallo and I like the cheekiness of putting in The Disintegration Tapes hehe. And a quick search for the luxury items show that the celebrities pick items from a trowel, a laptop, unlimited paper, an Aston Martin DB9, pillows, pianos and unlimited mojitos. I know which of those I'd prefer :)