Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unacclaimed Week 29

Things are heating up with Unacclaimed. Only 8 songs remain!

Week 29 sees us move to bracket L7. The winners will move on to bracket L8 into the top 6, while the losers will bow out at numbers 7 and 8. This week features a rematch between "French Disko" and "Crystal Ball". The first time these two titans met, "French Disko" eked out a 7-6 win. Have the months that have passed changed anything?

Please listen to the songs before making your choice, and provide comments (however brief) to form the basis of your pick.

The deadline for Week 29 is 11:59 PM, January 2nd AM time.

You can read the descriptions of why these songs were nominated in the rules thread.

Match L7.1:

Nick Nicely - "Hilly Fields"
Faces - "Ooh La La"

Match L7.2:

Prince - "Crystal Ball"
Stereolab - "French Disko"

Re: Unacclaimed Week 29

"Hilly Fields" took out my 2nd nomination, "Dazzle", but I can see why. It is an absolute behemoth of a track, unique in every way and consistently awe-inspiring. I've warmed to "Ooh La La", but not nearly enough to supplant "Hilly Fields".

Prince - "Crystal Ball"

"French Disko" is undoubtedly amazing, but "Crystal Ball" features just about everything I love about my favorite artist - it carries the clash of spiritual vs. sexual through an apocalyptic backdrop, plenty of disgustingly funky synths and guitar licks, Clare Fisher's tensely gorgeous string symphony, Camille's quirky vocal outbursts, and a monolithic, eerie overtone that only Prince could compose. It holds a permanent place among my top 10 songs of all time.

I've commented on these plenty of times by now. The first one's a close call, the second one is a blowout.

Ooh La La
French Disko

Match L7.1:

Faces - "Ooh La La" wins over Nick Nicely - "Hilly Fields"

Match L7.2:

Stereolab - "French Disko" wins over Prince - "Crystal Ball"

Neither of these matches was particularly difficult for me. I can't see any of these songs beating out Nina Simone or Curtis Mayfield in a subsequent round.

Match L7.1:
Faces - "Ooh La La"

Good songs both, but only 1 can win.

Match L7.2:
Prince - "Crystal Ball"

Definitely looks like the losers bracket.

I guess I'm different, then! I like "Hilly Fields", "Crystal Ball" and "French Disko" more than anything in the winner's bracket!

Moonbeam
I like "Hilly Fields", "Crystal Ball" and "French Disko" more than anything in the winner's bracket!
Seconded.

Match L7.1
Nick Nicely-Hilly Fields

Match L7.2
Prince-Crystal Ball

Ooh La La

French Disko