Put a Pin on the Map View my Forum Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What will win the Pazz and Jop awards for 2011?

Does anyone have any guesses on who/what will take home the Pazz and Jop awards for this year? With the year nearing it's end, there should be some strong contenders by now.

If I had to guess, I would think PJ Harvey has a strong shot for album of the year with "Let England Shake."

For song, I'd probably have to guess "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele, since it was quite popular.

I'm looking forward to hearing what others think.

Re: What will win the Pazz and Jop awards for 2011?

Polly Jane has been popular with Pazz & Jop before, but I'm going to stick my neck out and say that it will not top the jop. I'm betting on either Fleet Foxes Helplessness Blues or Bon Iver's S/T.

Rolling In The Deep is one of those songs that sounded better on The Voice than in the studio recording.

It's weird how those overproduced pop songs can sound amazing given the right performer. Take Big Girls Don't Cry. The studio release is borderline unbearable, but you see it performed on a reality TV show by a live band and an emotional performer and it sounds amazing.

At this point I would have to go with PJ Harvey. Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver have a little more of an insular following, plus they have a 'good but weaker and similar followup' stigma.

Keep in mind that at this time last year, the album that not only won P&J but utterly dominated it was still more than a month away from even being released. So anything can happen.

I don't see Let England Shake topping the poll - it may be too English, if that makes sense. It'll definitely make the top ten, as will Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, tUnE-yArDs, and St. Vincent. I see Wilco and the Beastie Boys having a shot at the top ten, with other possibilities including Lykke Li, James Blake, Shabazz Palaces, Destroyer, Wild Flag, Paul Simon, Fucked Up, maybe the new Bjork. It's been a pretty wide-open year, making it tough to call how the EOD lists are going to shake out.

I feel pretty confident that PJ will take the P&J. She should get best song too for "The Words That Maketh Murder."

In my eyes, it is Bon Iver's to lose. He released a follow up album for a critical acclaimed modern classic, and not only exceeded expectations, but did so by reinventing his sound. It has all the markings of a reviewer favorite.

Harold Wexler
Keep in mind that at this time last year, the album that not only won P&J but utterly dominated it was still more than a month away from even being released. So anything can happen.

I don't see Let England Shake topping the poll - it may be too English, if that makes sense. It'll definitely make the top ten, as will Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver, tUnE-yArDs, and St. Vincent. I see Wilco and the Beastie Boys having a shot at the top ten, with other possibilities including Lykke Li, James Blake, Shabazz Palaces, Destroyer, Wild Flag, Paul Simon, Fucked Up, maybe the new Bjork. It's been a pretty wide-open year, making it tough to call how the EOD lists are going to shake out.

I agree...I think Let England Shake is way too English to top Pazz and Jop.

Don't forget Ry Cooder.

Destroyer's "Kaputt" (but this my wish, not my guess)

This article is much helpful for me to know about the new projects. Lots of activities are carried out for the students to improve their skill in different areas. Here the whole details about the programs are shared. obsession love spells

Thank you your page is quite useful for me. I really feel very pleased when identified your page. best tantrik in kanpur

It then packages that list with a bunch of sharp essays and write-in comments, and the only thing you can do is dive in.

Easy love spells that work fast for free