The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The AM critics' poll by country

I just got this crazy idea.

Here in this forum we are people from a lot of different countries. We could get together and arrange a critics poll in every country possible. If we do it seriously and simultaneously in many countries we could achieve many things.

1. we would collect a huge amount of interesting results
2. the AM lists would "improve" a lot
3. AM would get attention worldwide

What do you think? Am I crazy?

Re: The AM critics' poll by country

More craziness.

Some critics might like to write about their favorites and permit that their quotes are going to be posted on AM. That would really enhance the website! The critics are used to get paid for their writings but for some it might be ok just to get their names published (and popularized).

Are you proposing that each contact AM'er some critics of his country to ask for a list of your favorite albums or songs?

I think we can try

Otisredding
Are you proposing that each contact AM'er some critics of his country to ask for a list of your favorite albums or songs?

I think we can try
Yes. This could be done in different ways, from that everyone who is a friend with a music critic asks him/her about their favorite albums and songs, to a well planned poll where we try to reach as many critics as possible with a letter that describes the aim and scope of the poll and set up a website where the critics can publish their lists if they prefer to. If we decide to do this I think we should go all in for the well-organized alternative.

The world needs a worldwide critics poll and who would be better suited to organize it?

It's a slightly crazy idea, but I think it's worth giving a shot. It would be very interesting to compare the results from a worldwide critics poll to the current AM Top 3000 albums. And yes, it would be a first such poll which would no doubt give this site more exposure.

It shouldn't be too difficult to find addresses or email addresses of the publications/websites that publish year-end lists from each of the countries. A good starting point might be to send a carefully worded email or letter to these publications, asking their critics to participate in the poll. The number of participants might not be massive the first time round, but a first poll might grab some attention and a second poll a year or two later could consequently result in a larger amount of participants.

Just an idea, Henrik, but what about providing a list of publications/websites from each country that published year-end lists at the end of last year? That way you could ask for volunteers from each country to research addresses and email addresses.

Dan M
Just an idea, Henrik, but what about providing a list of publications/websites from each country that published year-end lists at the end of last year? That way you could ask for volunteers from each country to research addresses and email addresses.
That's a great idea. But first I think I will wait for some more comments on this idea (while I concentrate on the next update).

I think it's crazy, but then again, so is wasting hours of time listing your favorite songs in order.

I personally don't know any critics, but I like the idea.

Sounds like a lot of fun actually. I actually am a professional critic (I write for PopMatters), so this should be interesting.

Then Penguin could make known Acclaimed Music in
Popmatters citing this website in any of your items.

"Acclaimed Music is very prestigious. Only the great critics, such as Penguin, will be invited to the biggest music poll that has never been done."

Otisredding

"Acclaimed Music is very prestigious. Only the great critics, such as Penguin, will be invited to the biggest music poll that has never been done."

Great idea. Quite ambitious, but that only makes it interesting.

If we are going to do this, I agree we should go all the way.

This is a great idea. I'd love to see more individual critic's opinions, which would likely be a lot more interesting than the consensus poll of many publications. I'm sure that critics for some of the smaller websites/publications would be willing to participate if we could find a way to contact them.

Otisredding
Then Penguin could make known Acclaimed Music in
Popmatters citing this website in any of your items.

Flattered. But PopMatters does do a blog post about the AM Top 100 list -- it's pretty interesting if you check it out.

Well, in fact I know the two most important rock critics in Valencia, Eduardo Guillot and Juan Vitoria, both writers of the Rockdelux staff among other publications. In fact I contacted Eduardo to show our poll during the year and he liked it a lot, especially the 1900-1949 one.
I could try to contact both and probably they could send to me their personal lists. Juan Vitoria in fact wrote two wonderful books with his own lists, “Los 100 mejores discos del Rock” and “Discos ocultos” (by the way, Henrik, I sent you those lists long ago but I think you didn’t include it, should I post them in the critics list section?). Eduardo Guillot has published also many excellent books about music and movies and even some that combines both like “Rock en el cine” or “¡Rock, acción!”.
So, Henrik, probably I could get lists from the two of them but maybe they could not obtain votes enough to make a big poll from Spanish critics. I could tell them but I’m afraid that if it’s not part of the super big poll involving critics from many parts of the world (that Henrik has in mind) probably they refuse to make such an effort.

Honorio
Well, in fact I know the two most important rock critics in Valencia, Eduardo Guillot and Juan Vitoria, both writers of the Rockdelux staff among other publications. In fact I contacted Eduardo to show our poll during the year and he liked it a lot, especially the 1900-1949 one.
I could try to contact both and probably they could send to me their personal lists. Juan Vitoria in fact wrote two wonderful books with his own lists, “Los 100 mejores discos del Rock” and “Discos ocultos” (by the way, Henrik, I sent you those lists long ago but I think you didn’t include it, should I post them in the critics list section?). Eduardo Guillot has published also many excellent books about music and movies and even some that combines both like “Rock en el cine” or “¡Rock, acción!”.
So, Henrik, probably I could get lists from the two of them but maybe they could not obtain votes enough to make a big poll from Spanish critics. I could tell them but I’m afraid that if it’s not part of the super big poll involving critics from many parts of the world (that Henrik has in mind) probably they refuse to make such an effort.
Honorio, I'm sorry that I haven't included Vitoria's lists yet. I think I should add them before you contact him (and Guillot). I could include Vitoria's lists in next year's update. I think this is a project that lies a bit ahead anyway...

Interesting and amazing how your post is! It Is Useful and helpful for me That I like it very much. husband vashikaran remedies at home in hindi

Thanks For Sharing Amazing And Useful Information With us.
remedies for extra marital affairs

I love to find about new things here , keep posting up. surah yaseen wazifa for love marriage

Very good article, It's really wonderful post, thanks for sharing with us.

Love spells that work immediately free

This is very useful, although It will be important to help find something interesting music lists , keep it up. surah to get married soon

This is a great inspiring article. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. free black magic removal

Good luck on your project .Well done keep up nice work . spells to make someone want you

This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. taweez for love attraction

I have bookmarked your website because this site contains valuable information in it. I am really happy with articles quality and presentation. bond breaking candle spell

I found this as an informative and interesting post, so I think it is very useful and knowledgeable.
revenge spells that work

your post is really impressive . thanks for sharing such informative post . wazifa for love marriage to agree parents

It’s going to be ending of mine day, however, before finish I am reading this impressive article to increase my knowledge.how to get someone to fall out of love with you

Thank you so much for the informative and interesting post I like your points which you have discussed over here great job. casting revenge spells

Very good article, Its really wonderful post, Thanks for sharing with us. Spell casters near me