Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM World Cup: Week of 8

We are now down to eight (but without Jimi Hendrix). I’ve run out of clever things to say (without slurring Marvin Gaye), so I’ll get right to the serious stuff. Please remember when voting to vote for the song, not the artist. And DO NOT VOTE STRATEGICALLY!!!!! You should vote for the song you like more, not the song by the artist that isn’t going to be a threat to your team. Now that I got that out of the way, let me go ahead and show you this week’s competitors:

U2 (I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For) vs. Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing)
The Beach Boys (Don’t Worry Baby) vs. The Rolling Stones (Paint It, Black)
New Order (Temptation) vs. Queen (Under Pressure)
Otis Redding (Try a Little Tenderness) vs. Coldplay (Yellow)

Please also note voting will only be open 6 days this week due to the tiebreaker.

Re: AM World Cup: Week of 8

This week, I am also predicting the rest of the tournament.
U2 (I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For) vs. Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing) I can’t vote for Marvin after the travesty. And I’d rather hear “Let’s Get it On” when Marvin’s in the mood.
The Beach Boys (Don’t Worry Baby) vs. The Rolling Stones (Paint It, Black) This was close.
New Order (Temptation) vs. Queen (Under Pressure) Queen’s been under pressure for most of this tournament.
Otis Redding (Try a Little Tenderness) vs. Coldplay (Yellow) Pfha.

Final 4 Prediction
U2 vs. Stones- with Stones winning that one
New Order vs. Otis (though it would be nice to see Queen face their pool mate again)- with Otis winning that one.
Predicted winner: Otis Redding
He had it much easier than the A-pool teams, who have drained their top songs. I remember at the start of the tournament, somebody said, “Why have the final? The A-pool team will obviously win.” We see now it's not so clear.

W - U2 (I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For) (3) vs.
L - Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing) (6)

L - The Beach Boys (Don’t Worry Baby) (7) vs.
W - The Rolling Stones (Paint It, Black) (5)

L - New Order (Temptation) (11) vs.
W - Queen (Under Pressure) (10)

L - Otis Redding (Try a Little Tenderness) (11) vs.
W - Coldplay (Yellow) (10)

I figure that since I haven't voted this entire game, this is a good time to start.

U2 beats Marvin Gaye
The Rolling Stones beat The Beach Boys
New Order beats Queen
Coldplay beats Otis Redding

Listyguy
Predicted winner: Otis Redding
He had it much easier than the A-pool teams, who have drained their top songs. I remember at the start of the tournament, somebody said, “Why have the final? The A-pool team will obviously win.” We see now it's not so clear.

Please, please, please don't jinx this... I am very proud that I got Otis through while keeping his three most acclaimed songs in the bank for the last three rounds, but I am not taking anyone lightly (particularly as the ever-surprising Coldplay jumps out to an early lead).

U2 (I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For)
Still Bummed The Smiths are gone...

The Rolling Stones (Paint It, Black)
Will gladly vote for my 2nd favorite Stones song... could they be the favorites amongst the remaining artists???

New Order (Temptation)
Great New Order song, as much as I like "Under Pressure" I just can't disassociate it with "Ice Ice Baby"!!!!

Otis Redding (Try a Little Tenderness)
I love both of these songs, but I just can't vote for Coldplay again, luckily "Try A Little Tenderness" is a song I can vote for in good faith. Side note on Coldplay, I used to get excited about a new Coldplay CD, now that they have another new disc coming out I will get it, but that excitement is gone. I hope they prove me wrong...

U2 (I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For) vs. Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing)

I don't dislike any of these songs, but several are overrated in my book. It's amazing how many times I've voted for Queen now.

New Order (Temptation)
Coldplay (Yellow)

New Order (Temptation)
Coldplay (Yellow)

A few years ago I would have voted for the B-Boys in this matchup but Paint It Black has become one of my favourite Stones songs...

U2, even though that's far from their best song.
Rolling Stones
New Order
Otis Redding

Queen (Under Pressure)
Coldplay (Yellow)

Odd, odd 'leftovers'.

New Order (Temptation)
no winner

Sad but true, but I have to vote against my own pick. By using Good Vibrations and God Only Knows in earlier rounds, most of the ammunition was gone anyway. No problem though, it's no shame to lose against the Stones. I hope, they will eventually win the tournament.

U2 (I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For) vs. Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing) : I find those 2 songs clichés, I go for the one that annoys me a bit less
The Beach Boys (Don’t Worry Baby) vs. The Rolling Stones (Paint It, Black) : Beach Boys fell a bit short against one of the Stones best songs
New Order (Temptation) vs. Queen (Under Pressure) : great match, Under Pressure is a long time favorite, but on the past year I have started to consider Temptation as New Order best or second best song, and probably a top 10 song of the 80s
Otis Redding (Try a Little Tenderness) vs. Coldplay (Yellow) : well, Coldplay did try some tenderness here, and succeeded.

The Beach Boys (Don’t Worry Baby)
Queen (Under Pressure)

U2 (I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For) beats Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing) - "I Still Haven't..." is fine U2, but not near their best work. But "Sexual Healing" is depressingly far from being any good. Gaye's voice is weak. The song is tiresome. It is completely unsexy, which is its whole point. Like I said earlier in the tourney, his duets with Tammi Terrell were much, much sexier.

The Beach Boys (Don’t Worry Baby) beats The Rolling Stones (Paint It, Black) - This is the beach Boys best song. Far, far better than "Good Vibrations." Cohesive, pretty melody, great harmonies. It edges one of the Stones better scary songs. There are few lines in rock that are as genuinely disturbing as "I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes/I have to turn my head until my darkness goes."

Queen (Under Pressure) beats New Order (Temptation) - Two songs I really love, but I really love "Under Pressure" more. The funny thin about it is neither Queen nor Bowie are in the mode of theirs that I like from them. Particularly Mercury. I'm not a fan of his faux-soulful falsetto, nor of his faux-scat singing. And both are on prominent display here. There is so much about this song that I should not like. But I can't help it. It's a great arrangement. It builds beautifully to a strangely joyous ending that belies and relieves the pressure. Only "Ceremony" by New Order would give that a run for its money. "Temptation" is fabulous though.

Otis Redding (Try a Little Tenderness) beats Coldplay (Yellow) - "Sounds so soulful don't you agree?" Well, yes, Hova, I do agree. Before I try to explain why "Try a Little Tenderness" is my #2 song of all time, I'll say that "Yellow" is a pretty song. My only complaint is the guitar "solo" 3 minutes in takes the song nowhere new. I guess I can understand how it is possible that it is currently beating "...Tenderness."

Until I listen again to Otis' masterpiece. Maybe I look at it through significantly rose-tinted glasses. My father was playing this song for me when I was wee baby. And then in my teen years I remember the revelation of listening to Redding perform this live at Monterey (curiously cut with audience reactions that clearly came from some other performer's set). Apparently it originally was a bit of a silly song from the swing era, but was transformed by Redding's powerful studio performance and his equally powerful live versions of it. Booker T and the MG's played the hell out of it, and Isaac Hayes worked on the glorious arrangement.

You know the build is coming. But every time the sweet, contrapuntal horns, followed by Redding's rich "ooh she may be weary," plays, it seems impossible that it will take less than three and a half minutes to reach the ecstatic heights that it does reach. And it is done so seamlessly. There is no burst of energy coming from out of nowhere. Every element gets layered carefully. Each musician raises the intensity steadily. Redding knows where he wants to get to and marches assuredly toward his apex.

Yeah... we've been through Donkey and Duckie doing this song. So maybe it's getting a a little played out for some people. Not for me, ever.

Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing)
Queen (Under Pressure)

Thanks!

Sexual Healing (why so much dislike? this song is the perfect closer for Marvin's career)
Don’t Worry Baby (Wilson's at their best)
Temptation (I love the bass line and Bowie's vocal parts on “Under Pressure” but I can't stand at all Freddie Mercury's ridiculous falsettos)
Try a Little Tenderness (great great song, I love especially the 'Live at Monterey' version)

U2 (I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For) vs. Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing) - This U2 song is unique, and although it's not one of my favorite tracks on The Joshua Tree, I recognize it as one of the best achievements from the band, sucessfully sounding folcloric and spiritual like no other of their songs.
The Beach Boys (Don’t Worry Baby) vs. The Rolling Stones (Paint It, Black) - Don't Worry Baby is probably an all time top 100 song for me. A great contender for the best BB track, with their best vocal melody. Easy win here!
New Order (Temptation) vs. Queen (Under Pressure) - This was tough, boy! Both tracks are great. I remember both finished in my top 20 in the eighties poll, but since then Tempation has fallen a bit in my concept, while Under Pressure continues having the same effect on me. Probably the only other Queen song I love besides their best "Don't Stop Me Now".
Otis Redding (Try a Little Tenderness) vs. Coldplay (Yellow) - Otis song is good specially in the first half, but doesn't keep the quality until the end. While Yellow might lose to Under Pressure or Don't Worry Baby, here it wins easily. I consider this one of my favorite love songs, and it no way can be put together with the other Coldplay songs that some consider forced. They really put their heart on this, leading to their most intense track.

Listyguy
Please also note voting will only be open 6 days this week due to the tiebreaker.

Just want to make sure I have the rules right, Listyguy, as the Otis/Coldplay matchup is a nailbiter. I can pick any song for the tiebreaker, and that song will still be available to me in a later round. Or I can choose a song I have already used previously in the tournament. I just can't use the same song in another tiebreaker thereafter.

Schwah
Just want to make sure I have the rules right, Listyguy, as the Otis/Coldplay matchup is a nailbiter. I can pick any song for the tiebreaker, and that song will still be available to me in a later round. Or I can choose a song I have already used previously in the tournament. I just can't use the same song in another tiebreaker thereafter.
Both the b-pool matches are very close.
Here's how the tiebreaker works: If Otis finished tied with Coldplay, you can pick any song (you can also pick in advance) Otis Redding did, reguardless of whether or not you have used it before. So, if you wanted to use "The Dock of the Bay", you could still use it if Otis make it to the final. But, if Otis wins this tiebreak and has anotehr next week, you couldn't use "The Dock of the Bay" again.
Songs used in tiebreakers and regular matches are totally seperate.

U2 (I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For): 9
Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing): 3

"Sexual Healing" has always grossed me out. Just about any U2 song would have easily won here, but "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" makes it a knockout blow.

The Beach Boys (Don’t Worry Baby): 8
The Rolling Stones (Paint It, Black): 7

The silky harmonies of The Beach Boys edge out one of the best Stones songs.

New Order (Temptation): 10
Queen (Under Pressure): 9

Pulling out Bowie was a clever move here, but "Temptation" is just so gloriously giddy that it's essentially infallible.

Otis Redding (Try a Little Tenderness): 7
Coldplay (Yellow): 3

Otis Redding could basically take a knee and win a matchup against Coldplay, even if "Yellow" indicates that they started off as merely annoying and not totally insufferable. On a side note, I picked up 5 Otis Redding studio albums yesterday, in part due to enjoying his stuff in this game. Bravo!

Let me add that if we end up with a Queen/Coldplay matchup in the B-pool final, I may just commit seppuku.

Dock of the Bay will be my penalty-taker, if needed.

Well, looks like Otis will already win without needing the extra time. Anyway, if that's the case I'd go with Clocks trying not to be totally blown away be the all time #7 song!

If required,go with Blue Monday as New Order's tiebreaker

Moonbeam
Let me add that if we end up with a Queen/Coldplay matchup in the B-pool final, I may just commit seppuku.

Let me also add if Queen goes into another tiebreaker (which would be their second in a row), I will use "Don't Stop Me Now". I realize that's probably not the best choice, but I want to use that song somewhere.

Don't have time to listen to stuff this week, but since I've heard most of these songs...

U2
Rolling Stones
Otis Redding

I'm pretty sure I've heard Temptation but I can't place it by name.

U2 (I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For) def Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing) 17-2
A week after upsetting team Hendrix, Marvin Gaye gets destroyed by U2. Seems appropriate.
The Rolling Stones (Paint It, Black) def The Beach Boys (Don’t Worry Baby) 13-6
For the first half of the week, the Stones were shutting out the Beach Boys. But, they came back near the end, but not close enough to make it interesting.
New Order (Temptation) ties Queen (Under Pressure) 9-9
2nd straight tie for Queen…
Otis Redding (Try a Little Tenderness) def Coldplay (Yellow) 10-8
Despite a disappointingly close match, Otis Redding comes out on top, and may face poolmates Queen in the B-Pool Final.

This tiebreaker will remain open for 24 hours. The winner will advance to face Otis Redding in the B-Pool final, and the loser will be eliminated.

New Order (Blue monday) vs. Queen (Don't Stop Me Now)

My vote is for Queen. I realize I pulled out a somewhat less popular song by 'em, facing a forum favorite, but I used Bohemain Rhapsody last week. That aside, I want to make a plea to you, the voters. Queen is in the final 8, against all odds, making it by on a goal or two time and again, and they now have a chance to become one of the last 4 teams standing. They’ve come this far…so Don’t Stop Them Now.

My vote is for New Order. "Don't Stop Me Now" is a great song, and Queen is pretty underrated around here, but there's only 1 Queen song that can compete with the masterpiece that is "Blue Monday", and it's not "Don't Stop Me Now".

New Order for the win of the whole World Cup!

Don't Stop Me Now (9) wins over Blue Monday (11)

Don't Stop Me Now

New Order.

Death to melodrama!
Death to overproduction!
Death to stadium chanting!

Blue Monday

New Order

Blue Monday

My vote (on a bright sunny Sunday) goes to "Blue Monday"

Blue Monday

My favorite Queen song beats my 3rd (4th ?) favorite New Order song. Not sure if Temptation or Crystal would have had my vote either, but it would have been much closer.

New Order (Blue monday)

Easy pick: Don't Stop Me Now
All time top 100 for me!

New Order def Queen 9-5