Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

The Old Acclaimed Music Forum

Go to the NEW FORUM

Music, music, music...
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AM World Cup: Week of 32

The time has come. From here on out, only the winners will move on. Every match is winner-take-all. This week, we see giants battle (Beatles vs Stones, Prince vs The Boss), and we see some teams that many would not expect to see here (Coldplay, Eurythmics, Queen). May the best teams advance. Reminder: The final 16 will be garunteed a return to next year’s cup, and their managers will have the option to manage them again. Please remember when voting to vote for the song, not the artist. And DO NOT VOTE STRATEGICALLY!!!!! You should vote for the song you like more, not the song by the artist that isn’t going to be a threat to your team. Now that I got that out of the way, let me go ahead and show you this week’s competitors:

U2 (Beautiful Day) vs. The Kinks (Apeman)
The Smiths (This Charming Man) vs. Elvis Costello (Alison)
Led Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused) vs. Jimi Hendrix (Little Wing)
Stevie Wonder (Another Star) vs. Marvin Gaye (Ain’t No Mountain High Enough)
Bob Dylan (Subterranean Homesick Blues) vs. David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust)
Radiohead (Paranoid Android) vs. The Beach Boys (Good Vibrations)
Prince (Little Red Corvette) vs. Bruce Springsteen (The River)
The Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter) vs. The Beatles (Eleanor Rigby)
Micheal Jackson (Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’) vs. Brian Eno (The Big Ship)
New Order (Ceremony) vs. Tom Waits (‘Ol 55)
Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running) vs. Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Steely Dan (Kid Charlemagne) vs. Jay-Z (Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Bitter Sweet Symphony)
Johnny Cash (San Quetin) vs. Pearl Jam (Better Man)
Otis Redding (I Can’t Turn You Loose (Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go)) vs. Eurythmics (Take Me To Your Heart)
Blur (This is a Low) vs. Coldplay (Clocks)
Kanye West (Monster) vs. Wilco (Misunderstood)

Re: AM World Cup: Week of 32

U2 (Beautiful Day)
The Smiths (This Charming Man)
Led Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused)
Marvin Gaye (Ain’t No Mountain High Enough)
Bob Dylan (Subterranean Homesick Blues)
The Beach Boys (Good Vibrations)
Bruce Springsteen (The River)
The Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter)
Micheal Jackson (Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’)
New Order (Ceremony)
Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Steely Dan (Kid Charlemagne)
Johnny Cash (San Quetin)
Otis Redding (I Can’t Turn You Loose (Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go))
Coldplay (Clocks)
Kanye West (Monster)

U2 (Beautiful Day)
Jimi Hendrix (Little Wing)
New Order (Ceremony)
no winner
Coldplay (Clocks)
Wilco (Misunderstood)

U2 (Beautiful Day)
David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust)
New Order (Ceremony)
Pearl Jam (Better Man)
Coldplay (Clocks)
Wilco (Misunderstood)

W - U2 (Beautiful Day) (8) vs.
L - The Kinks (Apeman) (11.1)

L - The Smiths (This Charming Man) (9) vs.
W - Elvis Costello (Alison) (5)

L - Led Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused) (8) vs.
W - Jimi Hendrix (Little Wing) (5)

L - Stevie Wonder (Another Star) (4) vs.
W - Marvin Gaye (Ain’t No Mountain High Enough) (2) - Tough match up for Stevie who is generally one of my favorites.

L - Bob Dylan (Subterranean Homesick Blues) (11) vs.
W - David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) (8) - Not my favorite Dylan song.

L - Radiohead (Paranoid Android) (10) vs.
W - The Beach Boys (Good Vibrations) (1)

W - Prince (Little Red Corvette) (9) vs.
L - Bruce Springsteen (The River) (11) - Generally, I prefer Bruce to Prince, but this match-up works in Prince's favor.

W - The Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter) (7) vs.
L - The Beatles (Eleanor Rigby) (8) - many Beatles songs would have won this contest for me, but Eleanor Rigby falls short.

W - Michael Jackson (Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’) (11) vs.
L - Brian Eno (The Big Ship) (11.2)

New Order (Ceremony) vs. Tom Waits (‘Ol 55) - undecided as of yet

L - Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running) (8) vs.
W - Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody) (3)

W - Steely Dan (Kid Charlemagne) (4) vs.
L - Jay-Z (Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Bitter Sweet Symphony) (11.5)

I hope to vote on the rest of the contests later

Led Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused) vs. Jimi Hendrix (Little Wing)
Micheal Jackson (Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’) vs. Brian Eno (The Big Ship)
Steely Dan (Kid Charlemagne) vs. Jay-Z (Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Bitter Sweet Symphony)
Johnny Cash (San Quetin) vs. Pearl Jam (Better Man)
Otis Redding (I Can’t Turn You Loose (Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go)) vs. Eurythmics (Take Me To Your Heart)
Kanye West (Monster) vs. Wilco (Misunderstood)

U2 (Beautiful Day) vs. The Kinks (Apeman) Easy choice.
The Smiths (This Charming Man) vs. Elvis Costello (Alison) I love “Alison”, but “This Charming Man” is in my top 20.
Led Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused) vs. Jimi Hendrix (Little Wing) With two of my top 3 artists facing off, I was afraid I might have had to vote against my own song. But, luckily, “Dazed and Confused” is not close to my favorite Zep song, and “Little Wing” is an enchanting song.
Stevie Wonder (Another Star) vs. Marvin Gaye (Ain’t No Mountain High Enough) I like your strategy for this matchup, Nicolas.
Bob Dylan (Subterranean Homesick Blues) vs. David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) Tough call. Both are great.
Radiohead (Paranoid Android) vs. The Beach Boys (Good Vibrations) “Good Vibrations” is overrated. So is Radiohead (in general), but this is a really great song.
Prince (Little Red Corvette) vs. Bruce Springsteen (The River) Another close call.
The Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter) vs. The Beatles (Eleanor Rigby) This was by far the hardest choice of the week for me. I hope this matchup can come down to the last vote, because it’s being advertised as a thriller.
Micheal Jackson (Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’) vs. Brian Eno (The Big Ship) Mama se mama sa mama mocken sa.
New Order (Ceremony) vs. Tom Waits (‘Ol 55) I’m amazed these guys were once the Joy Division. They’re so different it’s not even funny.
Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running) vs. Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody) Might as well use their best song (although I know it will draw some hate as well) against Arcade Fire.
Steely Dan (Kid Charlemagne) vs. Jay-Z (Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Bitter Sweet Symphony) I remember hearing the Jay-Z song and thinking “Nice! The Verve….Oh wait, it’s not the Verve! Crap!” Sort of like how I feel when I think “Under Pressure” is coming on and it turns out to be “Ice Ice Baby”. Damn samples.
Johnny Cash (San Quetin) vs. Pearl Jam (Better Man) Both songs are slightly above average. I love how the inmates cheer every time JC disses San Quentin.
Otis Redding (I Can’t Turn You Loose (Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go)) vs. Eurythmics (Take Me To Your Heart) Otis’ soul can’t be matched.
Blur (This is a Low vs. Coldplay (Clocks) Ahh, Coldplay. If only my Sly team was in that division.
Kanye West (Monster) vs. Wilco (Misunderstood) Seriously?? Nicki Minaj?

U2 (Beautiful Day)
Not one of my favorite U2 songs, unfortunately it was not going up against one of my favorite Kinks songs...

I hate having to vote againsy Alison...

Stevie Wonder (Another Star)

Some really, really difficult choices this week...

Radiohead (Paranoid Android)
Both teams brought out their big guns this week!!!

Prince (Little Red Corvette)
A big fan of the river, but there is something that makes me smile thinking about when I was 9 and listening to "Little Red Corvette" on my walkman, yes I said walkman!!!

The round of 32 just seems a little early for a Stones/Beatles debate...

New Order (Ceremony)
Easiest of the day...

Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running)

Pearl Jam (Better Man)

Blur (This is a Low)
I agonized over this matchup...

Kanye West (Monster)

U2 (Beautiful Day)
Brian Eno (The Big Ship)
New Order (Ceremony)
Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running)
Johnny Cash (San Quetin)
Blur (This is a Low)
Kanye West (Monster)

Second Group of songs

W - New Order (Ceremony) (11) vs.
L - Tom Waits (‘Ol 55) (11.2)

L - Johnny Cash (San Quentin) (11.3) vs.
W - Pearl Jam (Better Man) (11.2)

W - Otis Redding (I Can’t Turn You Loose (Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go)) (11) vs.
L - Eurythmics (Take Me To Your Heart) (11.1)

L - Blur (This is a Low) (10) vs.
W - Coldplay (Clocks) (7)

L - Kanye West (Monster) (11.7) vs.
W - Wilco (Misunderstood) (11.1)

First half
Some very tough matchups here.

U2 (Beautiful Day)
Prince (Little Red Corvette)

Second half

Micheal Jackson (Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’) vs. Brian Eno (The Big Ship) Tie. Two good songs in their respective genres.
New Order (Ceremony) vs. Tom Waits (‘Ol 55) Tie. Didn't really get that much into either.
Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running) I still find the Queen song fun but ridiculous.
Steely Dan (Kid Charlemagne) vs. Jay-Z (Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Bitter Sweet Symphony) Tie. The original "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" would have won my vote.
Pearl Jam (Better Man) Possibly favorite PJ song
Coldplay (Clocks) Blur gives Clocks a good run for its money.
Kanye West (Monster) The Nicki Minaj part puts "Monster" over the top.

The Kinks (Apeman)
Elvis Costello (Alison)
Radiohead (Paranoid Android)
Brian Eno (The Big Ship)
pass
Johnny Cash (San Quentin)
Blur (This is a Low)
Wilco (Misunderstood)

Thanks!

Led Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused) vs. Jimi Hendrix (Little Wing) - tough choice
Micheal Jackson (Wanna Be Startin' Somethin') vs. Brian Eno (The Big Ship)
Johnny Cash (San Quentin) vs. Pearl Jam (Better Man)
Otis Redding (I Can’t Turn You Loose (Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go)) vs. Eurythmics (Take Me To Your Heart) - not easy to vote against Otis' performance but "Take Me to Your Heart" is one of the most underrated songs ever
Kanye West (Monster) vs. Wilco (Misunderstood) - because of Nicki Minaj, the song kicks off at 3:34

The Kinks (Apeman) beats U2 (Beautiful Day) - A clear managerial misstep on my part. I can't help but feel that "Beautiful Day" was prime to be taken down... but I clearly underestimated it. And I clearly overestimated the strength of "Apeman," which no one on these boards has ever cited as a Kinks song they enjoy. I over thought things, and foolishly went with a recognizable song over one that could gain some surprise support. That said, I still think "Apeman" is a solid song. I have said it before... I'm a sucker for melodies being sung simultaneously in octaves. And there is a fine groove in the chorus.

Elvis Costello (Alison) beats The Smiths (This Charming Man) - Close call. I'm not a big fan of Costello's ballads. But the tunefulness of "Alison" beats the edgy but less melodic "This Charming Man."

Led Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused) beats Jimi Hendrix (Little Wing) - Rarely can one accuse Jimi of cutting his solos too short, but "Little Wing" should have gone for over twice as long. It's a gem of a germ of a song, and deserved more than just the skeleton structure. It might have beaten a weaker Zeppelin song, but "Dazed and Confused" is a powerhouse, even if the middle section is a little slack.

Marvin Gaye (Ain’t No Mountain High Enough) beats Stevie Wonder (Another Star) - Hurts to vote against that beautiful bloated blast of happy horns from Wonder. But the gorgeous interplay between Tammi and Marvin, the Fred and Ginger of rock/soul, wins here. Gaye was far sexier when he was duetting with the equally flirtatious Terrell, rather than delivering the stale come-ons of his later years.

...Also, RIP Nick Ashford

Bob Dylan (Subterranean Homesick Blues) beats David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) - Another tough vote. But MC Zimmerman still sounds incredibly exciting laying down these verses.

Radiohead (Paranoid Android) beats The Beach Boys (Good Vibrations) - No doubt. "Good Vibrations" is one of the most overrated songs. Original pick "Don't Worry Baby" probably would have won my vote, but "Good Vibrations" is not in the same league. I don't understand why it is so beloved.

First half:

U2 (Beautiful Day): 8
The Kinks (Apeman): 7

I'm sad to vote against The Kinks, as they've been one of the biggest surprises for me, and I would like to hear what other treasures are in store, but "Beautiful Day" just edges it.

The Smiths (This Charming Man): 7
Elvis Costello (Alison): 7

Another nail-biter. Morrissey's vocals are enough to give The Smiths a slight edge.

Jimi Hendrix (Little Wing): 7
Led Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused): 2

Perfect showcase of what distinguishes these artists for me. Led Zeppelin's track is an overlong, laborious dirge, while Jimi leaves me wanting more.

Stevie Wonder (Another Star): 10
Marvin Gaye (Ain’t No Mountain High Enough): 6

"Another Star" is an incandescent burst of joy that acts as a perfect closer for Songs in the Key of Life. "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" is ok, but it pales in comparison to "You're All I Need to Get By" let alone Stevie at his peak.

David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust): 7
Bob Dylan (Subterranean Homesick Blues): 3

Both artists have much better to offer, but Bowie is a crystal-clear victor here.

The Beach Boys (Good Vibrations): 6
Radiohead (Paranoid Android): 6

Once again, both artists have much better to offer. "Good Vibrations" is more consistent throughout, so I'll give it a slight edge.

Prince (Little Red Corvette): 9
Bruce Springsteen (The River): 6

It looks like Bruce Springsteen is Prince's kryptonite here at the forum. I knew this going in, and I thought an AM-top 100 track would be enough to get over the line against a track in the 1300s, but the power of Bruce is strong! As for the songs themselves, "Little Red Corvette" really takes off with that "girl you've got an ass like I've never seen!"/"you must be a limousine!" bit. "The River", like most Bruce Springsteen tracks, is well-intentioned but far too heavy-handed for me.

The Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter): 7
The Beatles (Eleanor Rigby): 3

Battle of "classic" bands that generally leave me cold. "Gimme Shelter" warms me up somewhat, while "Eleanor Rigby" is only warm when compared to the rest of Revolver.

Listyguy
I’m amazed these guys were once the Joy Division. They’re so different it’s not even funny.

While New Order would go on to become very different, I think their early stuff is a natural progression toward that sound. "Ceremony", in fact, is both the last song Joy Division ever recorded and the first New Order song. It's a rather emotional twist and a perfect opening statement, as it merges both the dramatic sadness of Joy Division and the ebullient joy of New Order in the same track. Powerful, powerful stuff.

Micheal Jackson (Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’): 9
Brian Eno (The Big Ship): 7

Eno's track was beautiful and more intriguing than exciting. "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'", though, is very exciting!

New Order (Ceremony): 10
Tom Waits (‘Ol 55)

With their first song, New Order already betters Joy Division, and this wonderful blend of happy/sad is something they would go on to do so well. "Ol' 55" is pretty enough, but is way out of its depth.

Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running): 5
Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody): 2

I suppose the signs that Arcade Fire would devolve into a boring mass of molasses were there with songs like this, but this still has a little bit of charm, and certainly enough to easily put it past "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Steely Dan (Kid Charlemagne): 6
Jay-Z (Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Bitter Sweet Symphony): 4

The guitar solo and funk rhythm of "Kid Charlemagne" are nice, but the tendency for lifelessness that has plagued other Steely Dan tracks threatens to derail this too. The original "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" or "Bitter Sweet Symphony" would have made mince meat out of it, but this mashup frankly doesn't work.

Pearl Jam (Better Man): 5
Johnny Cash (San Quentin): 3

One of Pearl Jam's best songs is enough to move on against Johnny Cash's grating country sound.

Eurythmics (Take Me To Your Heart): 10
Otis Redding (I Can’t Turn You Loose (Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go)): 8

If Eurythmics are to bow out, I'm glad it is to the likes of Otis Redding and a song as fun as this live rendition of "I Can't Turn You Loose". It's been an absolute pleasure sharing some early Eurythmics with the forum. I'll go to my grave swearing that their material from 1981-1984 places them at the very apex of synth pop, and "Take Me to Your Heart" was their first huge success in that vein. With that warped bass line, the fizzy synths and Annie Lennox hovering ghost-like over the mix, it is an eerie treat. Lyrics like "time after time I try to contact you" and "it's good to pretend that you're with me" suggest that she is a conjured dead spirit trying to reach her former lover, and it never fails to give me chills.

Blur (This is a Low): 7
Coldplay (Clocks): 2

Can this forum please stop advancing Coldplay? Pretty please? I'd rather not have to endure any more of their stillborn attempts at sounding meaningful and deep wafting out of my speakers like a stale fart. "This Is a Low" starts off slow, but it thankfully takes off to prevent this matchup from being a real dud.

Kanye West (Monster): 6
Wilco (Misunderstood): 4

This is much better from Kanye than the previous offerings. I imagine subsequent listens to it would endear me to it more, but I like the adventurous tone to it. Wilco's track starts off far too sleepy to wake me by the time it revs up.

Prince (Little Red Corvette) beats Bruce Springsteen (The River) - I much prefer hype Bruce to depressed Bruce. There's a beauty to depressed Bruce, but not as much as you'd find in similar songs from, say, Neil Young. Nor is there as much beauty in depressed Bruce as there is in Prince's jump off's ass.

The Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter) beats The Beatles (Eleanor Rigby) - Unfortunately, only one of these songs is the greatest rock song of all time.

Micheal Jackson (Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’) beats Brian Eno (The Big Ship) - "Wanna Be Startin. Something" is a hugely inconsistent feast. For every fabulous aspect("HEE HAW!") there is a cringeworthy one (the patently fake "horns"). Same goes for MJ's own vocals. But it is goofy enough to win over an inert Eno piece, where a longer build might have provided greater power.

New Order (Ceremony) beats Tom Waits ('Ol 55) - "Ceremony" is a really great song. "'Ol 55" did not jump out for me.

Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody) beats Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running) - Unimpeachable nonsencical fun from Queen off of their magnum opus. "Keep the Car Running" is among Arcade Fire's lesser songs... meaning its still of a very high quality but suffers by comparison.

Steely Dan (Kid Charlemagne) beats Jay-Z (Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Bitter Sweet Symphony) - Boo to Richard Ashcroft. It was bad enough when the mashup had just the string background (uncut, unmixed, unfucked with)... but Ashcroft was too much. I've heard "Dirt off Your Shoulder" mixed with Weezer's "Surf Wax," Pavement's "Zurich Is Stained," and (of course) the Beatles' "Julia" -- each of those is better and more inventive a mix. But "Kid Charlemagne" wins on its own merits. I love "Is there gas in the car?/Yes there's gas in the car."

Johnny Cash (San Quetin) beats Pearl Jam (Better Man) - The Catch-22 of "Better Man is that the background is boring for the beginning part, when Vedder does not oversing, but once the background gets interesting, Vedder starts oversinging and getting out of tune. Cash effectively cuts to the heart of the matter with "San Quentin" and his audience clearly appreciates it.

Otis Redding (I Can’t Turn You Loose (Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go)) beats Eurythmics (Take Me To Your Heart) - Even while wailing live, Redding has such wonderful control over his golden voice. "Take Me to Your Heart" doesn't provide Lennox the chance to let loose with the drama she is so good at delivering.

Blur (This is a Low) beats Coldplay (Clocks) - A bit more heart and soul to the Blur song. "Clocks" is a great gimmick, effective and at times even moving. But (forgive the forced pun) one can see the gears turning on this machine.

Kanye West (Monster) beats Wilco (Misunderstood) - Okay Wilco... that was a bit more interesting. No, not as interesting as anything that Kanye does, but, you know, you turned my head.

Where are the votes? This thread usualy gets hot within the first day.
Anyway, there are currently two shutouts working (both B Pool).

Apeman
This Charming Man
Little Wing
Ain’t No Mountain High Enough
Ziggy Stardust
Good Vibrations
The River
Eleanor Rigby
Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’
Ceremony
Bohemian Rhapsody
Kid Charlemagne
San Quentin
I Can’t Turn You Loose (Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go)
This Is a Low
Monster

U2 (Beautiful Day) vs. The Kinks (Apeman) : funny Kinks song beats one of U2's less interesting singles
Led Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused) vs. Jimi Hendrix (Little Wing) : would have deserved to be longer indeed
Stevie Wonder (Another Star) vs. Marvin Gaye (Ain’t No Mountain High Enough) : I too enjoy early Marvin Gaye much more than the one from the 70s, still he can't match one of Stevie Wonder's masterpieces.
Bob Dylan (Subterranean Homesick Blues) vs. David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) : one of my favorite by each artist, but being one of my favorite Bowie song is much harder than being one of my favorite Dylan song
Radiohead (Paranoid Android) vs. The Beach Boys (Good Vibrations) : closer match of the week, I like both less than I used to
Prince (Little Red Corvette) vs. Bruce Springsteen (The River) : for me this a good song by an overrated artist against an overrated song by a good artist !
The Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter) vs. The Beatles (Eleanor Rigby) : another terribly close matchup
Micheal Jackson (Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’) vs. Brian Eno (The Big Ship) : might have gone the other way if I were in a dancing mood
Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running) vs. Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody) : I might have voted for Keep The Car Running if "live version" had been specified... damn, lot of Arcade Fire songs are awesome live but that's the one that's the most improved compared to the album version
Steely Dan (Kid Charlemagne) vs. Jay-Z (Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Bitter Sweet Symphony) : when I saw the 2 who were opposed here, I expected an easy vote, but the other way round
Johnny Cash (San Quetin) vs. Pearl Jam (Better Man) : pass
Kanye West (Monster) vs. Wilco (Misunderstood) : I'm really starting to think that 80% of Wilco's good songs are in YHF... on the other hand, Monster is huuuuuuge

Apeman over Beautiful Day

Apeman wouldn't have been my pick from the excellent Lola album, but it's still a Kinks single from their prime.

This Charming Man over Alison

I have no idea why "Alison," a fairly uninteresting ballad to my ears, is so acclaimed within the Costello catalog.

Little Wing over Dazed and Confused

"Little Wing" could have been GREAT if it was about a minute longer, but it still easily wins this matchup.

Subterranean Homesick Blues over Ziggy Stardust

SHB is just a sick Dylan performance lyrically and vocally, so much fun.

Paranoid Android over Good Vibrations

This is definitely the heavyweight battle of the week. Two great multi-part songs.

Gimme Shelter over Eleanor Rigby

"Eleanor Rigby" used to be one of my Beatles favorites but not anymore. "Gimme Shelter" is the peak of the Stones' output.

The Big Ship over Wanna Be Startin' Something

Didn't realize Eno made it to this round. "The Big Ship" probably won't win this, but it's one of the greatest instrumental songs I've ever heard. The guitar at the end is unbelievably powerful.

This is a Low over Clocks

Beautiful Day + beats Apeman =

The lyrics of Apeman are kind of funny, but they're also kind of pretentiously anti-modern. Anyway, they distract you from the music, which isn't so great on its own.

Alison +++ beats This Charming Man ++
Little Wing + beats Dazed and Confused +

Not either group's best.

Another Star ++ beats Ain't No Mountain High Enough +
Subterranean Homesick Blues +++++ beats Ziggy Stardust +++

When I was first curious about classic rock I started exploring it chronologically starting at 1965. The first one I heard was Bringing It All Back Home, the first track being Subterranean Homesick Blues. ...One bar in, I already hated half my favorite music.

Good Vibrations ++++ beats Paranoid Android ++++

URRRRGHH why do these two have to be against each other?

The River +++ beats Little Red Corvette ++

Sorry MB. Should have played a bigger gun against the guy on the two game second place streak.

Gimme Shelter +++++ beats Eleanor Rigby +++

I like this matchup. Not only is one of the hardest groups to beat going to lose, they're both minus one big gun. Nobody need fear the Bracketology winner.

Wanna Be Startin Somethin ++ beats The Big Ship +
Ol 55 ++ beats Ceremony =

I get New Order about as little as some forum members get Tom Waits. So boring, with repetetive instrumentation and melodies that don't go anywhere!

Keep The Car Running + beats Bohemian Rhapsody --
Dirt Off Your Shoulder ++ beats Kid Charlemagne +
San Quentin ++ beats Better Man +
Can't Turn You Loose + beats Take Me To Your Heart =
Clocks = beats This Is A Low =
Misunderstood + beats Monster -

BillAdama

Sorry MB. Should have played a bigger gun against the guy on the two game second place streak.

I figured Prince's 2nd most acclaimed song would have had a good chance of beating Bruce's 6th. Oh well!

U2 (Beautiful Day) vs. The Kinks (Apeman) - I can't understand the acclaim of Beautiful Day, for me it's one of the least good songs out of it'ws album.
The Smiths (This Charming Man) vs. Elvis Costello (Alison) - Now, two overrated songs, but I stick with Alison easily.
Stevie Wonder (Another Star) vs. Marvin Gaye (Ain’t No Mountain High Enough) - I find Another Star too overlong, and that "nanana" quite annoying.
[/b]Bob Dylan (Subterranean Homesick Blues) vs. David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) - The PC bolded Ziggy, but I'm voting for Dylan!!!! I think Ziggy would lose to almost all the other songs in the week, so don't get my vote wrong! hahah
Radiohead (Paranoid Android) vs. The Beach Boys (Good Vibrations) - Well, I think both of this would have won any of the previous matches. But it's not difficult for me to vote for Paranoid Android, one of my all time favorite songs, and Radiohead's best.
Prince (Little Red Corvette) vs. Bruce Springsteen (The River) - The River would lose against practically any song from Sign O' the Times or Purple Rain, but probably would win against anything from 1999, including this.
The Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter) vs. The Beatles (Eleanor Rigby) - The Beatles going out in the round of 32, who would have thought? And Eleanor Rigby is maybe in my bottom 50 tracks from them, so it's losing here is more than fair.
New Order (Ceremony) vs. Tom Waits (‘Ol 55) - My great surprise of the week.
Johnny Cash (San Quetin) vs. Pearl Jam (Better Man) - I was already up to vote for Cash, but Better Man exploded in an awesome piece in the middle, turning into one of the best Pearl Jam song's I've listened to.
Blur (This is a Low) vs. Coldplay (Clocks) - For my luck, Blur is this time competing with a song I don't really like, so I don't have to vote against my own team. I respect This Is A Low (which is probably their 2nd most beloved song in this forum), because of it's grandiosity, combining some of Blur's most delicate moments with others of intensity, not to say about the beautiful guitar lines and the solo middle. Maybe the thing is that I'm not at all into this kind of depressed music, making it one of my least Parklife faves. Clocks, on the other hand, is Coldplay's signature, combinning it's unique and unforgettable arrangement, with a great structure and production. It's the kind of song that you know it was in a kind of a limbo waiting to be written by someone.
Kanye West (Monster) vs. Wilco (Misunderstood) - Didn't expect to vote for Wilco, but I heard both tracks out of their albums, and a song that I've always considered average by Wilco sounded better than maybe my 2nd favorite Kanye's song. Does it say something?

So, Toni, did you vote for Ziggy or Dylan? Must be me, but I didn't get it ...

What a week! We had two shutouts blown on the same late vote, as well as some really close matches (See Dylan vs. Bowie, Coldplay vs. Blur)
U2 (Beautiful Day) def The Kinks (Apeman) 12-6
U2 took an early lead and kept rolling. The Boys from Ireland become the only non-US/UK team to make it to the sweet 16.
The Smiths (This Charming Man) def Elvis Costello (Alison) 13-5
Like their opponents for the next round, the Smiths got to Costello early and often.
Jimi Hendrix (Little Wing) def Led Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused) 12-5
In a closer match, team Jimi beats team Zeppelin to advance to sweet 16.
Marvin Gaye (Ain’t No Mountain High Enough) def Stevie Wonder (Another Star) 13-4
One Nicolas team blows out another.
Bob Dylan (Subterranean Homesick Blues) def David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) 10-8
Man, this was the closet match I’ve seen yet! When I say they were tied constantly, I mean it. Every time Bowie got a goal, Bob came back and got one. I don’t think either team had more than a two goal lead the whole week.
The Beach Boys (Good Vibrations) def Radiohead (Paranoid Android) 11-7
In the latest battle of forum favorites, the Beach Boys cruise past Radiohead (hehehehe).
Bruce Springsteen (The River) def Prince (Little Red Corvette) 11-6
In another close match, the Boss edges past Prince with some help from late goals.
The Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter) def The Beatles (Eleanor Rigby) 14-4
The Stones! No, The Beatles! The latest episode in the ongoing saga is the Stones beating up on the Fab Four.
Micheal Jackson (Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’) def Brian Eno (The Big Ship) 11-5
MJ keeps soaring through the b pool (considering he’s ranked 35).
New Order (Ceremony) def Tom Waits (‘Ol 55) 13-2
New Order had the shutout working for most of the week, but they lost it on the last two votes.
Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody) def Arcade Fire (Keep the Car Running) 11-6
Another surprise of the tournament, Queen defeating Arcade Fire. Granted, they had to use their best song, but I’d say it was worth it.
Steely Dan (Kid Charlemagne) def Jay-Z (Dirt Off Your Shoulder/Bitter Sweet Symphony) 14-1
Like New Order, Steely Dan lost their shutout on Billadama’s vote. Thankfully Jay-Z is now eliminated.
Pearl Jam (Better Man) def Johnny Cash (San Quetin) 8-7
Another close match. But Pearl Jam edges past the Man in Black to pull of the upset.
Otis Redding (I Can’t Turn You Loose (Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go)) def Eurythmics (Take Me To Your Heart) 13-3
Unforunately, the magic is gone, and the Eurythmics have lost. They had a good run (sorry Moonbeam.)
Coldplay (Clocks) def Blur (This is a Low) 10-8
This is a low for Blur (losing to Coldplay, that is).
Kanye West (Monster) def Wilco (Misunderstood) 10-8
In a battle of 00’s giants, Kanye asserts his dominance.

Toni
U2 (Beautiful Day) vs. The Kinks (Apeman) - I can't understand the acclaim of Beautiful Day, for me it's one of the least good songs out of it'ws album.
The Smiths (This Charming Man) vs. Elvis Costello (Alison) - Now, two overrated songs, but I stick with Alison easily.
Stevie Wonder (Another Star) vs. Marvin Gaye (Ain’t No Mountain High Enough) - I find Another Star too overlong, and that "nanana" quite annoying.
Bob Dylan (Subterranean Homesick Blues) vs. David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust) - The PC bolded Ziggy, but I'm voting for Dylan!!!! I think Ziggy would lose to almost all the other songs in the week, so don't get my vote wrong! hahah
Radiohead (Paranoid Android) vs. The Beach Boys (Good Vibrations) - Well, I think both of this would have won any of the previous matches. But it's not difficult for me to vote for Paranoid Android, one of my all time favorite songs, and Radiohead's best.
Prince (Little Red Corvette) vs. Bruce Springsteen (The River) - The River would lose against practically any song from Sign O' the Times or Purple Rain, but probably would win against anything from 1999, including this.
The Rolling Stones (Gimme Shelter) vs. The Beatles (Eleanor Rigby) - The Beatles going out in the round of 32, who would have thought? And Eleanor Rigby is maybe in my bottom 50 tracks from them, so it's losing here is more than fair.
New Order (Ceremony) vs. Tom Waits (‘Ol 55) - My great surprise of the week.
Johnny Cash (San Quetin) vs. Pearl Jam (Better Man) - I was already up to vote for Cash, but Better Man exploded in an awesome piece in the middle, turning into one of the best Pearl Jam song's I've listened to.
Blur (This is a Low) vs. Coldplay (Clocks) - For my luck, Blur is this time competing with a song I don't really like, so I don't have to vote against my own team. I respect This Is A Low (which is probably their 2nd most beloved song in this forum), because of it's grandiosity, combining some of Blur's most delicate moments with others of intensity, not to say about the beautiful guitar lines and the solo middle. Maybe the thing is that I'm not at all into this kind of depressed music, making it one of my least Parklife faves. Clocks, on the other hand, is Coldplay's signature, combinning it's unique and unforgettable arrangement, with a great structure and production. It's the kind of song that you know it was in a kind of a limbo waiting to be written by someone.
Kanye West (Monster) vs. Wilco (Misunderstood) - Didn't expect to vote for Wilco, but I heard both tracks out of their albums, and a song that I've always considered average by Wilco sounded better than maybe my 2nd favorite Kanye's song. Does it say something?
[/b]

Hates 1999, loves Coldplay....

I think you might be even more of an anti-Moonbeam than Henry!

A breakdown of how teams per manager did this week:
2 of 2- Dan M, Listyguy
1 of 1- Stephan, Rocky Raccoon, Alex D, Slick, Toni, Henry
2 of 3- Nicolas
1 of 2- Midaso, Schwah, Andre
1 of 3- Billadama, Drewcannon3
0 of 1- Edderramirez, Jackson, Gillingham
0 of 2- Nick, Moonbeam

Moonbeam

I always thought of Henry as more of an anti-Jackson than an anti-Moonbeam.

Jackson
Moonbeam

I always thought of Henry as more of an anti-Jackson than an anti-Moonbeam.

Probably best to think of me as the old guy who as hard as he tries remains somewhat stuck in 1970's.

Moonbeam

Indeed we have some notable differences in our tastes, man. I dislike the majority of '80s synth pop, post punk and also much of new wave; and, also, I don't mind if an artist's music is comercial or all the other things people use to consider bland, as long as it's pleasing to me.
About Prince, it's interesting that he's the only artist to have two albums in my all time top 10, but the other things I've heard from him (Controversy, 1999 and Parade) all failed to catch me. I want to hear Dirty Mind some day, looks to be a great album. I find 1999's songs all overlong, repetitive and with few interesting melodies. If I'm not wrong, I put it in the penultimate position of my list in the '80s poll (only in front of Swordfishtrombones, haha!), while Sign O' the Times was my #2, practically tied with #1 The Stone Roses.

Toni
Moonbeam

Indeed we have some notable differences in our tastes, man. I dislike the majority of '80s synth pop, post punk and also much of new wave; and, also, I don't mind if an artist's music is comercial or all the other things people use to consider bland, as long as it's pleasing to me.
About Prince, it's interesting that he's the only artist to have two albums in my all time top 10, but the other things I've heard from him (Controversy, 1999 and Parade) all failed to catch me. I want to hear Dirty Mind some day, looks to be a great album. I find 1999's songs all overlong, repetitive and with few interesting melodies. If I'm not wrong, I put it in the penultimate position of my list in the '80s poll (only in front of Swordfishtrombones, haha!), while Sign O' the Times was my #2, practically tied with #1 The Stone Roses.

I don't mind commercial stuff at all! My top 10 artists include the likes of Madonna, Janet Jackson and Kylie Minogue. However, the general rule of thumb for me is that 80s = great, especially if it is synthy or post-punky.